Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

merk posted:

I voted you because your attempt to spark content went nowhere and you made no attempt to make it go anywhere but nowhere.

that's a little unreasonable. I made a general content question, some people answered it, some didn't. The ones who did, some answered well, some didn't. I went after one of them who didn't answer it well.

I think this is a pretty silly vote merk. I know votes aren't limited resources or anything but I think "your cipher was dumb" would be a better vote than "you asked for content and it didn't help!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

My vote is nonsense?? Hahaha

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

My vote is nonsense?? Hahaha

my understanding is you voted me because making content questions was unusual and then the cipher was the equivalent of fullclaiming without pressure.

those are nonsense opinions!

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

EccoRaven posted:

"you asked for content and it didn't help!"

merk posted:

I voted you because your attempt to spark content went nowhere and you made no attempt to make it go anywhere but nowhere.

##vote Ecco

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
In case it isn't obvious, Ecco's misrepresentation of my vote is an attempt to discredit it rather than try to learn my alignment from it. He did the same thing with Diqnol's vote.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

CCKeane posted:

I'm not feeling ecco.

I suggest that you never give your opinion about alignment unless a day is nearing over and you dramatically disagree with the direction the thread is going or you have role-based information that is pertinent. We don't learn much about alignment of people making cases when the confirmed town tells us what to do.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I agree with merk. I could see Ecco misrepresenting KB as a misunderstanding, but now she's doing the same thing with merk when he couldn't have been clearer.

##vote Ecco

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

merk posted:

I suggest that you never give your opinion about alignment unless a day is nearing over and you dramatically disagree with the direction the thread is going or you have role-based information that is pertinent. We don't learn much about alignment of people making cases when the confirmed town tells us what to do.

Fair.

I'll just make fun of Pmom more.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
nah those are some dumb votes too.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

PMom I think we should play chess across threads.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Okay so here's the thing.

KB voted for me because he didn't like how I "mischaracterized" his summary of his scumplay. the mischaracterization was over the word "perfect." I explained my thoughts earlier but here it is again: KB was talking with sincerity how he has no scumtells except something he occasionally does that's not particularly damning or revealing. I said that was a dumb answer, and phrased it as "I play perfectly" because that was essentially what he was saying.

merk voted for me because I asked content questions and it "went nowhere" and I "didn't attempt to make it go anywhere but nowhere." I responded to this, too; I said it was a nonsense opinion because it did go somewhere and I did follow it to somewhere. It went to KB.

Diqnol voted for me because of my cipher and my content questions, because they were "fillery" and "not the type of thing" I'd normally do. I told him that's not true, that I often make breadcrumbs, that I occasionally ask content questions, and it's not a scumtell either way. I called his post nonsense.

They're nonsense posts. Sorry you guys made posts of nonsense!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
AND to tie it all back:

- Making nonsense posts doesn't make someone scummy.

But

- It can be scummy if it's done in a scummy way, that is, to mask having to present real opinions and genuine thoughts.

I have been asking KB about his reasons for voting for me because they're particularly bad, and I want to know if he actually has a thought process down that sounds sincere or if he's just making it up on the fly.

merk's point likewise is really unreasonable, but not inherently scummy. asking a content generation question that's explicitly contextualized as "this was very useful on day 4 of a past game" kinda implies I'm not expecting it to be a smooth launching point for Solid Day One Casing, especially in the first hours of the day when only a handful have even checked in. Despite that I still noticed something off about KB's answer and pursued him for it. To say it "went nowhere" and I "didn't try to get it to go anywhere but nowhere" is both unreasonable (since it wasn't supposed to go anywhere this quickly) but also nonsense because I did do those things.

Diqnol's point is dumb too for the reasons I've said but I don't want to engage him today about it.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

nah

pbem go?

How about a game more your speed, like candyland or dangle the keys in front of your face.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
as an aside:

EccoRaven posted:

see? breadcrumbs can be messed up, too.
I noticed a few minutes ago that the third letter in my breadcrumb is supposed to be a capital "J" (between the O and M), and the first letter, instead of a capital "T," is a "-d." it doesn't change the rest of the cipher any and it's totally intelligible even with those mistakes but I just wanted to get this down now because we're only human.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
actually I think I messed it up a lot BUT the method I used is replicable which is important to prove its veracity you just gotta know my mistake since it was systematic.

anyway this has been Bad Cryptography with ecco t. raven.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I cracked the code.

"Always sip the yoohoo in your possession."

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

CCKeane posted:

I cracked the code.

"Always sip the yoohoo in your possession."

aw nerts. I thought a combined caesar/atbash would throw people off :(

I am a yoohoo-aligned drinkmaster, I win when I drink six yoohoos.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

EccoRaven posted:

Assume I am stupid. Explain to me how what you said was "almost exactly the same" was what FoxTerrier said.

I tried here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3747218&pagenumber=3&perpage=40#post451567576

show me how I am wrong and I will concede that I am genuinely dumb.

I don't see what the point is. You keep deliberately misreading everything everyone writes. I pointed out the most obvious BS that you used and you explained it away as if it still makes sense. It doesn't.

EccoRaven posted:

that's a little unreasonable. I made a general content question, some people answered it, some didn't. The ones who did, some answered well, some didn't. I went after one of them who didn't answer it well.

I think this is a pretty silly vote merk. I know votes aren't limited resources or anything but I think "your cipher was dumb" would be a better vote than "you asked for content and it didn't help!"

If you mean to imply here that you went after me, that is not the case at all. I went after you when you did a really weird sideways shade throw at me. You've fought with me on it since, but you did not go after me in any significant way.

EccoRaven posted:

KB voted for me because he didn't like how I "mischaracterized" his summary of his scumplay. the mischaracterization was over the word "perfect." I explained my thoughts earlier but here it is again: KB was talking with sincerity how he has no scumtells except something he occasionally does that's not particularly damning or revealing. I said that was a dumb answer, and phrased it as "I play perfectly" because that was essentially what he was saying.

Wow, you are still doing it. You minimize anything I say and pretend other things are happening with every one of your posts. It was NOT just your use of the word perfect. I did NOT say I have no scumtells. I said I didn't know of any. Do you not understand how those are two different things? I'm pretty sure you DO understand that, and this is just your scum strategy. I then proceeded to mention the one thing I know I occasionally do differently as scum. None of the words you are ascribing to me are words I am saying. Here, let me show you what it looks like when someone says they have no scum tells:

EccoRaven posted:

unfortunately I have no scumtells, so :(

Notice the difference?

EccoRaven posted:

Despite that I still noticed something off about KB's answer and pursued him for it.

Again. No, you didn't. Not until I hounded you over your sideways shade throwing. Here, let me remind you what you posted:

EccoRaven posted:

thank you for answering! you gave a good answer I approve of it (not the least of which because your first game afaik was FRACAS IN CARACAS).

I dislike KB not being able to give his own scumtells but I really dislike opop and hiip for totally dodging it!

If you were "pursuing" anyone here it certainly wasn't me. So this is yet another example of you trying to shift the narrative away from what actually happened.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
blah blah blah

##vote kb

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I know I'm getting a lot of heat right now but hear me out!

King Burgundy is probably scum this game.

1) When asked about his scumtells, he gave a flippant non-answer. Scum would be inclined to not want to reveal their "cards" as it were so early in day 1.

2) He straight up speaks untrue things about his post here. He manufactures a "contradiction" in my posting. It reads less like he genuinely is trying to defend his post and more like he's trying to step away from having said something a little scummy.

(I urge people to read FoxTerrier's post and KB's post side-by-side since this is what started it all. Read them not just for content but also tone. FT's comes off as a sincere examination of her posting after a years-long break, while KB's is a flippant dismissal of the question entirely without looking like he's totally ignoring it.)

3) The entire "ecco is mischaracterizing my posting" situation is ridiculous too. It should have been obvious to any casual reader that I was deliberately being glib but that it wasn't an unfair or uncharitable interpretation at all.

It reads like KB made a dumb post and when he saw the slightest pushback from it he went into defense-mode, hastily attacking me for whatever fault he can think of. It's scummy because I feel like town would have not been as defensive to such minor shade, but it lets him latch on to a bad case early on, letting him look like he's being a Contributing Townie when in reality his points are very hollow.

I'm not 100% on it but I feel pretty good about the vote and I think others should join.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
and KB on the chance you're town and care about convincing me as such, you should address my main concerns:

- how could you reasonably believe your post and FT's were "essentially the same"? It's not just a matter of content (though your content is different too), but of tone.

- Your thought process around this whole thing hasn't felt very "genuine," either. The posts were different, I approved of one and disapproved of yours, and you got super defensive about it. It feels like you were doubling down on a bad point rather than being critical of your post (it was a bad post!) or organically figuring out if I was scum or not. It felt like a preemptive OMGUS, like you thought I was calling you scum for it, and you had to get the "no, YOU'RE scum for saying so!" in. But it happened to abruptly and so suddenly. Please tell me your thought process behind your vote and the subsequent casing.

Also, explain this post:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=451581888

because I was the only one getting voted at the time and in this post it sure looks like you're saying "ecco is getting voted for weird reasons" but in the post just before you were all like "yeah! people voting ecco! woo!". The explanation you gave in the second post doesn't seem like it comes logically from the first.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
how long has this been open? hey guys

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

bowmore posted:

how long has this been open? hey guys

like 12 hours. I am already the vote leader so you know it's a good game :guitar:

hey bowmore tell me your scumtells.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My scum tells? as in what i do when i'm scum?

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

bowmore posted:

My scum tells? as in what i do when i'm scum?

yep that's the one. and answer good or else you'll vote for me.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know, I act differently depending on my mood not on my role

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I am sure if you give it some thought you'll notice little things you do as scum that you don't usually do as town, or things you don't do for that matter. we're all aware on some level of how we act around other people depending on our circumstances; something should come to mind soon!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
uhhhh

I'm a lot more intense as scum?

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
how do you mean intense?

if you had an example game I would be very happy as well but that's not required just a suggestion.

("ecco I didn't think any of this was requi--" shush)

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

EccoRaven posted:

how do you mean intense?

if you had an example game I would be very happy as well but that's not required just a suggestion.

("ecco I didn't think any of this was requi--" shush)
Well I don;t know, I don't analyse myself

here is two of my scum games

transformers mafia
the drugfather

and an sk game because i rocked it in that one

console wars

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

bowmore posted:

here is two of my scum games
1) both are links to drugfather
2) surely you have been scum more recently than 2011

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

EccoRaven posted:

1) both are links to drugfather
2) surely you have been scum more recently than 2011
does behavior change that much?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the one i missed: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3722651&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

bowmore posted:

does behavior change that much?

according to some, yeah.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3747218&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post451567676

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
so what was the point of going to the effort of getting those links for you?

I mean aside from my entertaining scum wins you get to read

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

I see what you mean about intense! this was a very informative game, thank you. it seems like, as scum, you (at least in that game) pursued an "easy" case against lurkers (I stopped reading after page 3) but put dressing on them to make them seem way more palatable. a day 1 bus on a lurking scumbuddy was a bold move, too, and shows you're willing to take risks as scum.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

bowmore posted:

so what was the point of going to the effort of getting those links for you?

I mean aside from my entertaining scum wins you get to read

in a past soldiers game, when someone intelligent and charismatic and great was king, they imposed the rule that everyone had to list their scumtells early in day 1. It proved fruitful when one of the players by Day 4 played their scumgame to a T, and helped bring that thread to victory.

I figured it's a good thing to try this game, too.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Alrighty

did you post yours?

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

bowmore posted:

Alrighty

did you post yours?

yep but I was glib in it at the beginning which KB doesn't like.

EccoRaven posted:

cool cool.

unfortunately I have no scumtells, so :(

but a way you can find out if I am scum is if I solidly defended by scumbuddies all game, since I am very anti-bussing. I recently have begun to do slight, very light bussing to play with my meta, but I would never shoot my team in the foot so badly as to Actually Bus them, even if it'd be "sooo not my meta!!", because that'd be a good way to lose the game.

here is an example of a recent scum game. You can also tell I stayed back and didn't make as many cases as I normally would; though that's not a perfect tell since I often get in people's grills regardless of alignment, if I'm hanging back it's because I'm struggling to engage with the game, which happens way more often as scum than town.

here is a game exemplifying the hanging back-ness.

luckily in this game I am TOWN :sax:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I kind of agree with Burgundy

• Locked thread