Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

bowmore posted:

I kind of agree with Burgundy

you're kind of wrong then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Asiina posted:

First you make a joke vote on someone for any reason whatsoever.

Then a few days later you make up a reason for why it's a real vote and convince people to go along with it until they are dead.

Repeat as necessary.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

hey verr you should vote for someone. I suggest KB. he is a good person to vote for, and then convince is scum down the road, as per asiina.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

gonna hang off, I think you guys have at least 10 more pages in you before I really get a good feel

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

alternatively the rest of us just vote for both of you to be sure

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
going back:

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

I'm saying that your "post your scumtells!!" thing isn't an Ecco way to approach content generation considering it is a LUMPEN approach, really. That you are now claiming without being in any way prompted and that you drew attention to that fact with an encrypted post doesn't feel right to me at all.

in this post diqnol says:
- the content generation question is a LUMPEN approach and not an ecco approach (which is not true, and wouldn't be scummy regardless); and
- I claimed without "in any way being prompted" with the cipherpost, which doesn't "feel right" (posting a breadcrumb isn't claiming and "drawing attention to it" isn't scummy regardless).

He also didn't like that I called it nonsense, but, it is nonsense, since it's a bunch of things that are both untrue (a breadcrumb is not a claim, a content generation question is not a non-ecco approach) and also not actually scummy.

~~~~

HiipFire posted:

your lame

hiipfire is around but deliberately not contributing to the conversation. this is what he generally does but that doesn't make it okay, and we should on some level hold him accountable for it.

~~~~~

TMMadman posted:

I don't know, I think you were pretty good as town in Ecco's Pearl game. You really were on point with a lot of your scum calls early in the game but I think the ghost/no vote gimmick made people sort of pass over your opinions.

I don't like this post but it's not scummy just not helpful. No need to convince Keane he's not bad at town as he says he is, he'll do as he wills, and who knows maybe it's all part of a large Keane gambit (like his "survivor-making item" at the beginning, it was a noble effort keane). You, TMM, should continue engaging with the game's players instead like you did in this post.

~~~~~

Opopanax posted:

Hey, some of us are just really scummy regardless of alignment

Someone find a scum-Opop game and a town-Opop game please and thank you.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Verr posted:

alternatively the rest of us just vote for both of you to be sure

I am not okay with that personally.

double plurality for day 1 is a great way to lose townies since the odds of two scum candidates being the top are near zero. good work PMom shooting us both in the foot.

keane if you ever get to decide remember: Lights Out is objectively the best deadline system for town!

Verr posted:

gonna hang off, I think you guys have at least 10 more pages in you before I really get a good feel

This is a bad post. I know you're being glib and you've never played forums games before but something should have stuck out to you by now, surely? Even if it's a minor, one-sentence thought.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
ok sleeptime goodnight :drum:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Wow the games on, exciting.

Bowmore: intense isn't your scumtell. going awol late game is your scumtell.

In the signup thread birdstrike compared me to ecco and laughed that we were in the same thread, i don't know how i feel about that.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

okay caught up.

man, and i thought auspol games were meta heavy.

is ecco usually a big content generator or does she just goes for the scatter gun approach via excessive posting and hopes it catches something?

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
I'm still alive I just went to bed is all, are posts that don't actually say anything part of the mafia experience?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

TheNabster posted:

I'm still alive I just went to bed is all, are posts that don't actually say anything part of the mafia experience?
I'd say it is the mafia experience

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Ecco: calling votes dumb and nonsense persuades no one. I had to force myself to read your whole post after wanting to skip the bulk when you went schoolyard.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

EccoRaven (4): King Burgundy, GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE, merk, merk, merk, Asiina
King Burgundy (1): Asiina, Asiina, EccoRaven

Not Voting (13): Beetphyxious, bowmore, CapitalistPig, CCKeane, FoxTerrier, HiipFire, Little Mac, Mithross, Opopanax, Rarity, TheNabster, TMMadman, Verr

With 18 alive, it's 10 votes to lynch. The current deadline is October 19th, 2015 at 9 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 1 day, 11 hours.

Day 1 is Double Plurality!

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
whats double plurality

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

As far as I understand, the two people with the highest votes both get hung. So bad times all around, especially for Ecco right now. And King if no one else votes.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

TheNabster posted:

As far as I understand, the two people with the highest votes both get hung. So bad times all around, especially for Ecco right now. And King if no one else votes.

I'll be fine, don't worry your widdle head.

Also my title is Comrade, we're a communism now.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

What do you call when PMom enters the building?

You call animal control so they may come with nets and darts.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

This is the Trojan War, two kings passive-aggressively sniping at each other from their throne room via carrier pigeons.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

merk posted:

Ecco: calling votes dumb and nonsense persuades no one. I had to force myself to read your whole post after wanting to skip the bulk when you went schoolyard.

oh yeah going with the time honored slurs of "nonsense" and "silly." I'm a veritable Tarantino.

I try to only say posts are bad, not people. I *cannot* believe you wanted to not read my post because I called your vote nonsense (and then immediately explained why - because it made no sense). I *cannot* believe you read my post despite the vicious slurs and didn't have your mind changed (or for that matter didn't have a thing to say at all either way other than chastising me for my language).

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

EccoRaven posted:

oh yeah going with the time honored slurs of "nonsense" and "silly." I'm a veritable Tarantino.

I try to only say posts are bad, not people. I *cannot* believe you wanted to not read my post because I called your vote nonsense (and then immediately explained why - because it made no sense). I *cannot* believe you read my post despite the vicious slurs and didn't have your mind changed (or for that matter didn't have a thing to say at all either way other than chastising me for my language).

Saying posts are bad is not persuasive. It detracts from everything else you are trying to say. That said, what you said wasn't persuasive. I like my vote.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

merk posted:

Saying posts are bad is not persuasive. It detracts from everything else you are trying to say. That said, what you said wasn't persuasive. I like my vote.

I don't believe this at all.

You said my content generating questions "didn't go anywhere." They were never supposed to, but they did anyway. You said I "made sure they went nowhere." I didn't. Your points were not sensical, because they were untrue. They're points that sound good when spoken but don't follow through on reality.

I think you are deliberately trying to act like a parody of yourself.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

EccoRaven posted:

I think you are deliberately trying to act like a parody of yourself.
for reference, merk is saying posts like this offended his sensibilities so much he didn't even want to read it because I was such a schoolyard bully:

EccoRaven posted:

merk's point likewise is really unreasonable, but not inherently scummy. asking a content generation question that's explicitly contextualized as "this was very useful on day 4 of a past game" kinda implies I'm not expecting it to be a smooth launching point for Solid Day One Casing, especially in the first hours of the day when only a handful have even checked in. Despite that I still noticed something off about KB's answer and pursued him for it. To say it "went nowhere" and I "didn't try to get it to go anywhere but nowhere" is both unreasonable (since it wasn't supposed to go anywhere this quickly) but also nonsense because I did do those things.

merk has recently gone on record as asking people to heighten the tone they use in games by being less insulting towards one another (since calling someone an idiot or a moron doesn't persuade anyone - true). I really don't think merk would extend that to the slightest negative description of people's own posts. I can't believe anyone for that matter would be so offended by their vote being called bad that they'd want to check out of the game.

This is tangential of course to his points actually being <illogical, unfair, dare I say it silly>, which is a bigger problem that he's sidestepped by not even addressing them.

I find when I am scum I often have a difficult time aping my town style; if I can't get into the groove I find myself becoming a parody of how I think I play as town. I've noticed it's a not uncommon way to play the game in general.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I gotta choose my team.

Anybody have ideas? I'd like to hear from Diqnol in particular.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

CCKeane posted:

I gotta choose my team.

Fair Keangamemnon, whose round countenance resembles the sun, as does your cheery disposition, may you be blessed with wisdom and do NOT send me into battle, for I am only marginally more useful to you than a trout.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

EccoRaven posted:

Fair Keangamemnon, whose round countenance resembles the sun, as does your cheery disposition, may you be blessed with wisdom and do NOT send me into battle, for I am only marginally more useful to you than a trout.

Who should go?

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

CCKeane posted:

Who should go?

it's six people, right? you should do three of your Most Trusted in the back row, and two in the front row, with someone you are Most Distrusting on the front rank so they die.

I think FoxTerrier is a Good Guy. I don't have many other thoughts than that sorry, few have checked in and posted substance yet.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Eccos is really focusing on this whole KB thing and it's making me uneasy. Let's go ahead and go over the whole thing. Ecco starts by asking Keane if everyone should post scum tells because she did that when she was King and it worked. Honestly, the post itself comes off as a little weird because even though Keane is the King of the thread he doesn't actually control the actions of the people in the thread. So if Ecco really wanted to start a discussion about scum tells, there is no reason to ask permission, just start it and if Keane doesn't like it, he can stomp his foot down to stop it. KB posts this response fairly quickly:

King Burgundy posted:

I don't know if I have any. I try to play my standard game regardless of alignment. But occasionally, if I'm on a scum team with someone with an important power or something, I won't go after them even if I normally would. For the most part I bus ruthlessly though and go after the same people I would if I were town.

Then there are a couple of glib responses from Opop and Hiip and then Ecco posts her own scum tells here:

EccoRaven posted:

cool cool.

unfortunately I have no scumtells, so :(

but a way you can find out if I am scum is if I solidly defended by scumbuddies all game, since I am very anti-bussing. I recently have begun to do slight, very light bussing to play with my meta, but I would never shoot my team in the foot so badly as to Actually Bus them, even if it'd be "sooo not my meta!!", because that'd be a good way to lose the game.

here is an example of a recent scum game. You can also tell I stayed back and didn't make as many cases as I normally would; though that's not a perfect tell since I often get in people's grills regardless of alignment, if I'm hanging back it's because I'm struggling to engage with the game, which happens way more often as scum than town.

here is a game exemplifying the hanging back-ness.

luckily in this game I am TOWN :sax:

Ecco then calls out Opop and Hiip for their glib responses and then FoxTerrier posts this:

FoxTerrier posted:

I've only scummed once, like two years ago, so I don't know that I can really claim an MO. For what it's worth, I was very assertive and active that game, but it was a deliberate attempt to match my Town style from the game I'd played just prior...so...I dunno what can really be gleamed there.

Opop modded the game I was scum, and has also played with me when I've been town (actually I guess I was a survivor with town aligned goals in that game, technically). He might have some insight if he remembers those games at all.

Otherwise I dunno really.

And Ecco immediately responds with this:

EccoRaven posted:

thank you for answering! you gave a good answer I approve of it (not the least of which because your first game afaik was FRACAS IN CARACAS).

I dislike KB not being able to give his own scumtells but I really dislike opop and hiip for totally dodging it!

KB takes exception and points out his response is almost the same as Fox's (and I agree), but Ecco hits back with:

EccoRaven posted:

lol you mean this answer

it's 3/4 "I have no scumtells, I am a perfect player" 1/4 "sometimes I don't bus as hard as I might"

it is a bad post.

And I just don't know how she gets to that conclusion because it seems forced and deliberately misleading. I felt KB was being honest with his original answer. I've played with KB when he was town and scum and he really does try to play the same way regardless of his alignment. I've called him scum when he's town and I've called him town when he's scum. I don't read his original answer as saying "I'm perfect a player", I read it as him saying "I try to stay consistent with my actions regardless of my alignment" and combined with Asiina making a very valid point that KBs cases are better when he's town, it just reads like Ecco is trying to push a bad case.

I'm actually a little more worried about Ecco's own answer about scum tells because it seems like a perfect way to throw people off her trail. She claims that when she is scum, she likes to hang back and doesn't really bus her scumbuddies, but she also says she has started to lightly bus her teammates to mess with her meta. So what I'm wondering is if her whole scum tells post was just a way to mess with her meta by saying she likes to hang back as scum and then coming out strong in order to prove that she is town.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

CCKeane posted:

I gotta choose my team.

Is the fight for Greek positions or are you attacking Trojan holdings?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

EccoRaven posted:

it's six people, right? you should do three of your Most Trusted in the back row, and two in the front row, with someone you are Most Distrusting on the front rank so they die.

I think FoxTerrier is a Good Guy. I don't have many other thoughts than that sorry, few have checked in and posted substance yet.

What the gently caress is this poo poo?

How in the hell do you call FoxTerrier a good guy when he has 5 whole posts in this thread? Especially when you turn around and say that you don't have thoughts on others because they haven't checked in and posted substance yet.

This post is loving pure garbage.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

TMMadman posted:

Is the fight for Greek positions or are you attacking Trojan holdings?

I know you have opinions on locale, but I'm going to play that close to my chest atm, so please give both.

Additionally, everyone, if you are giving your ideas for the combat team, please talk about people other than yourself as well. I think HOT TAKES would do us well.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TMMadman posted:

How in the hell do you call FoxTerrier a good guy when he has 5 whole posts in this thread? Especially when you turn around and say that you don't have thoughts on others because they haven't checked in and posted substance yet.

In fact, just for that post:

##vote Ecco

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
the difference between KB's post and FoxTerrier's, to me, is like night and day. Yes, they both said (in general terms) that they try to replicate how they play as town when they are scum. But FT's post comes across as "I am posting my thoughts down, I am explaining the thoughts, I am even asking someone else specifically to help if they can." KB's is a flippant non-answer.

Literally everyone tries to replicate their town game as scum. Even saying that at all is a waste of words. The problem with KB's post is that he was saying - with some degree of confidence - that the only scumtell he thinks he does is the "I don't bus a teammate sometimes when I normally would" line, which is both really minor and also potentially impossible to catch him on.

That's why they are different, to me. It doesn't matter that they said one thing that could be interpreted as similar - the tone is radically different between the two posts.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Additionally: Please don't hammer before nearing deadline.

Obfuscating team selection options, even slightly, benefits us as it reduces the information that PMom has when he makes a decision, though the likely decision he will make is picking his nose and eating it.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

TMMadman posted:

TMMadman posted:

In fact, just for that post:

##vote Ecco

I think FoxTerrier is town because I think the examination of conscience post was very townie. I have said this repeatedly.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

CCKeane posted:

I know you have opinions on locale, but I'm going to play that close to my chest atm, so please give both.

Additionally, everyone, if you are giving your ideas for the combat team, please talk about people other than yourself as well. I think HOT TAKES would do us well.

Fair enough, I have no issues fighting and would be a good addition to the combat team, but again I must insist that I only defend Greek positions for the moment.

As for others, you might want to consider Opop and Mithross as both have said they are good at combat, probably front line for both it looks like.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

EccoRaven posted:

I think FoxTerrier is town because I think the examination of conscience post was very townie. I have said this repeatedly.

Or it could just be that you're living up to your meta of defending a scum buddy.

Do you see the issue here?

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

TMMadman posted:

Fair enough, I have no issues fighting and would be a good addition to the combat team, but again I must insist that I only defend Greek positions for the moment.

As for others, you might want to consider Opop and Mithross as both have said they are good at combat, probably front line for both it looks like.

I think Opop would be a good choice as a meat shield. He's doing his "I don't contribute to the game until much later" thing which is both a way to play (and potentially his scum meta?? someone find a game recently where he was scum I'm tired and don't want to do it myself).

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Also let's assume I'd prefer a all townie team ATM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

TMMadman posted:

I have a ranged debuff, acually. Then decent combat skill, and an any buff. I'm your friendly neighborhood red mage, I guess.

• Locked thread