Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

Conot posted:

Bear in mind that your prices from a vendor will depend on the colonist making the sale. A 15+ Socialite should be getting you profit on the deal.

Also, a neat thing, if your socialite has Abrasive it massively tanks their ability to improve relations with other groups when they're visiting! The other colonist's all hated me before I figured out the issue

Is there some way to interact with the visitors? They just seem to pass through and I can't have my guys do anything on them, so far they've just been raid delayers.

When I had my first centipede raid I was worried, then I had a message that the nearby town had sent help. Unfortunately it turned out to be 3 dudes in worn t-shirts with low quality knives. On the plus side they distracted for a few seconds which was long enough for me to get my guys into position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Azhais posted:

Good news everyone, I've discovered the problem with my ducts: Inacio's modpack doesn't have the Community Core Library in it :v:

I upgraded RedistHeat and it worked even worse than the old one, then I decided to just start over and make my own modpack and discovered the missing library. Just added that and everything started working.

Ahh that's why it worked for me, I grabbed CCL when I installed the forums version because it listed it as a dependency.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
What is the best way to capture people en masse? I've got an ancient room I cleared out of mechanoids. There are 7 caskets in there and I want to try and capture the bulk of what is inside. It is a fine line between being ineffective and blowing out their brains. I've got a lot of bionic bits too so I'm not too worried about saving their limbs, just their brains.

Only scheme I can think of is setting the room on fire, letting it heat up, then opening the casket with a naked heat lover. Then seal off the room, let them all collapse and then try to capture them before the heat stroke wears off.

Donkringel fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 14, 2015

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Not sure really. You could try to heat the place way up, wait for them to pass out from heat, then have people standing by to tear out a wall to cool it off rapidly?

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Depends posted:

Is there some way to interact with the visitors? They just seem to pass through and I can't have my guys do anything on them, so far they've just been raid delayers.

When I had my first centipede raid I was worried, then I had a message that the nearby town had sent help. Unfortunately it turned out to be 3 dudes in worn t-shirts with low quality knives. On the plus side they distracted for a few seconds which was long enough for me to get my guys into position.

I thought it was vanilla, but it may be a mod causing it, but when parties come to visit (as in, staying for a day or so, as opposed to just passing through), my designated socialite with the "Negotiating" labour enabled will hang out with them and try to chat us up to them. Its normally really obvious because you'll get a bunch of "[Fuckwit] improved relations with [Foreigners]! (80% chance)" or "[Fuckwit] made everything terrible with [Foreigners]! (20% chance)"

Also, funfact: If raiders are running off with one of your colonists and the kidnapper is already out of range, take shots at other raiders. If the raider party hits its "flee" limit, the kidnapper will just drop his victim, even if hes two steps from the map edge.

Arianya fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 15, 2015

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Tias posted:

You need:
- At least one colonist who can handle a rifle
- not painfully low rates of construction and mining
- At least one colonist with high social, and one with relatively high research.
- Try to avoid older colonists, and colonists who are neurotic, psychically hypersensitive and other disadvantages that scream 'imma have a mental breakdown right off the bat'.

Also, I would contend that you should avoid backgrounds that render colonists incapable of doing important things. Often I've dropped before realizing that none of my colonists can be told to clean or maybe I only have one miner or one hauler. That poo poo is crazy annoying. Whereas you can get by with a single colonist refusing to do dumb labor, more than one slows the game to a horrible grind.

E: also, skilled growers can be really handy.

Doctor
Chef
Rifleman

Without a decent doctor you'll be loving up harder operations and your healing will always be poor, it takes ages to train because you don't do it often. Chef means we're making meals (your primary goal initially is to feed yourself) quickly and obviously the rifleman hunts the meat and defends against initial waves.

Mining - you'll pick it up as you go along. Mining is never omg critical do it now
Construction - you'll be doing a ton of it, not building that much at the start, if you dedicate a single person they'll level up quick
Growing - just like construction, it's something they'll be doing everyday. by midgame you'll have a number of highly qualified growers
Research - just dedicate someone to it once you've got a couple of extras and they'll level up quickly, you don't need research for a while and you can be easily killed before then with your booksmart nerd's guts smeared all over the walls

Anyone that doesn't do dumb labour can gently caress right off. Everyone hauls, everyone cleans. Later when you have 10 colonists that can slacken a little, but certainly with your first three 'I don't do windows' means you don't come with me.

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 15, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Personally my starter picks are Doctor because they're hard to train, Grower because they're the most important thing early on (at least in areas with limited growing seasons) and a good Shooter because you will want someone who can fight well. Generally someone with careful shooter is best.

More or less everything else you can train with just a Grower and someone who can fight, as those two are what you need to sustain a colony. Other professions are certainly helpful but mostly you need food and defence.

You could conceivably swap out your Doctor for either a good Social colonist or a good Construction colonist, as Construction is basically one of the best ways to make colonists happy now, by giving them legendary royal beds in their own room for massive impressiveness, beauty, and comfort bonuses. Social is also hard to train and can make trade a lot easier, and trade is one of the best ways to improve your colony efficiently. You can sell off extra crap to keep your value down and buy useful things to make you tougher without making you more attractive to raid. You can even buy extra colonists and see their skills beforehand, so you can pick up a doctor that way too potentially.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 15, 2015

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Koobze posted:

You can click-drag in prepare carefully too, I added 1000 silver to my starting loadout easily.

:aaaaa:

E: is it me, or does this game really need a fire-suppression system outside of rainy biomes? Even my stone walls catch fire.

Tias fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Oct 15, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I know Tynan's goal is to keep the game from being boring and too safe but yeahhhhh fire scenarios are just ridiculous as poo poo in this game.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

There need to at least be fire extinguishers that allow you to take fires down faster

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

We can build a spaceship and fusion reactor and AI computer out of garbage but what are lightning rods, help

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
If fires break out during the day they are usually dealt with fairly quickly but at night it's a pain to deal with. If sprinklers are too easy mode then at least a fire alarm that wakes everyone up and gets them started on fighting the fire would be nice.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Tynan should add water (besides/including existing pools) and associated needs.

Enjoy your desert embark! :kheldragar:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fire's never a problem for me because I build everything out of stone (which doesn't burn, though power cables under it may conceivably) and I always play desert/ice embarks.

In a forest I think it's kind of the terrain hazard for the area. Make a concrete firebreak around your base and make your outer wall out of stone at least.

A foam dispenser or something for a room which lets you extinguish fires over a distance would be very nice though for putting out large buildings that have caught.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
I like the idea of fire extinguishers. Automatic sprinklers do seem like easy mode (unless water resource management enters the game). Extinguishers still put your colonists in harm's way.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Depends posted:

If fires break out during the day they are usually dealt with fairly quickly but at night it's a pain to deal with. If sprinklers are too easy mode then at least a fire alarm that wakes everyone up and gets them started on fighting the fire would be nice.

I just hit pause, double click a citizen, draft everyone to get them out of bed, then undreft them, and they go fight the fire. Not ideal but it works

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

OwlFancier posted:

Fire's never a problem for me because I build everything out of stone (which doesn't burn, though power cables under it may conceivably)

Steel burns but stone doesn't? THE TRUTHERS WERE RIGHT :911:

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Last time I played I remember fire burning through stone walls, i.e. not burning the walls themselves but igniting anything flammable on the other side. I remember because I had tried walling off a geothermal generator to protect it from such an incident, only to see fire completely ignore the stone wall and set it alight regardless. Probably a bug but still loving stupid.

Clutter adds a foam dispenser which is automatic and actually works pretty well.

There was a fire extinguisher mod once, but it was a bit awkward as you had to equip the fire extinguishers manually and then direct them at the fire as if you were aiming a weapon. It was also a bit silly because as with many mods that add equippable tools, raiders would sometimes spawn with them instead of their usual weapons, making them even less of a threat than usual.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I can't say I've ever really had much of an issue with fires. As long as I don't try to manually tell someone to put a fire out they handle it just fine on their own as long as I wake them up. Every single time I've said "prioritize fighting fire" they go and burn to death.

I just keep my power lines well away from wood so if the batteries go they cause fires I can cope with (and with the fuse mods that's not an issue either)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Azhais posted:

I can't say I've ever really had much of an issue with fires. As long as I don't try to manually tell someone to put a fire out they handle it just fine on their own as long as I wake them up. Every single time I've said "prioritize fighting fire" they go and burn to death.

the pole or the dole
May 21, 2009

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Drunk in Space posted:

Last time I played I remember fire burning through stone walls, i.e. not burning the walls themselves but igniting anything flammable on the other side. I remember because I had tried walling off a geothermal generator to protect it from such an incident, only to see fire completely ignore the stone wall and set it alight regardless. Probably a bug but still loving stupid.

Dont completely wall off a geothermal unless it has no roof. It will constantly build heat inside the room and set itself on fire.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Note though that that is really useful if you're starting on a very cold map! Even the vent itself, before you research geothermal.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
re: fire chat

I don't really have a problem with it, but an automated sprinkler system I think would work if as a side-effect it sprayed foam everywhere that gave people negative mood modifiers until it was cleaned up. So the fire is dealt with and not going to end your colony but it's still something that needs to be dealt with after.

I had elephants and locked my people away but by the third day everyone was going mental being locked inside and I said gently caress it and sent some brave soul out to turn on the turrets. 10 seconds later the elephants were all rolling around on the floor in agony and I didn't lost a single turret. If you've got a decent turret network (which should be an early priority, like 6 in a configuration that they cover each other's fire zones and can all focus fire on a target or two) I say turn em on and gently caress those tarantulas right in their spider asses.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Meskhenet posted:

Dont completely wall off a geothermal unless it has no roof. It will constantly build heat inside the room and set itself on fire.

I just built the walls right next to the generator and it didn't build a roof. Perhaps you need to leave a gap for that to happen?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's the no roof that did it. Heat doesn't build up if there's no roof.

But equally there's nothing to stop the fire from going over the walls in that sense. Fire spreads by little particles of burning stuff being emitted by the fire.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Do any good mod packs get posted on the Ludeon forums? There are so many mods out now that I don't want to go trawling through the forums every time I come back for a new update. The vegetable garden mod looks neat but the combat realism one looks dumb (snipers with map wide range). Any modpacks that are sorted by flavor or themes would be cool.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Demiurge4 posted:

Do any good mod packs get posted on the Ludeon forums? There are so many mods out now that I don't want to go trawling through the forums every time I come back for a new update. The vegetable garden mod looks neat but the combat realism one looks dumb (snipers with map wide range). Any modpacks that are sorted by flavor or themes would be cool.

Grab the modpack in the OP. There have been a couple of updates to mods since it was made, but it's not too much trouble to update those said mods.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

IAmTheRad posted:

Grab the modpack in the OP. There have been a couple of updates to mods since it was made, but it's not too much trouble to update those said mods.

And be sure to add the Community Core Library mod so things actually work

marumaru
May 20, 2013

I'll be honest: the main reason for me not to update is that making the post with all the mod names, versions and forum threads is a lot of work. Much more than actually putting it together!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Inacio posted:

I'll be honest: the main reason for me not to update is that making the post with all the mod names, versions and forum threads is a lot of work. Much more than actually putting it together!

Rimworld really needs a mod launcher like Minecraft has. A Technic launcher where you can load up individual mods or whole packs would be grand.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

Rimworld really needs a mod launcher like Minecraft has. A Technic launcher where you can load up individual mods or whole packs would be grand.

Considering how simple mods are in Rimworld compared to Minecraft, I bet that making a launcher would be much simpler. See CKAN on KSP, for example. Getting hosting and stuff would be a whole different deal though.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

The mod order loader mod or whatever it's called has a config file that saves your current load order and can be shared with others. The thing is though I think it goes in a completely separate location to the mod itself, like it's stored in mydocuments somewhere from memory.

e: so if you had that mod installed, you could probably make a simple program to externally read whatever mods you have installed from their directly names, check them on and off, generate a new config file and you're golden.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I think I made a mistake by burying the raiders, because my people all go to their graves and get sad. Why would they get sad? Raiders got shot to death by a turret while trying to kill them.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 19, 2015

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

I think I made a mistake by burying the raiders, because my people all go to their graves and get sad. Why would they get sad? Raiders got shot to death by a turret while trying to kill them.

Tynan said there aren't any more gaping holes in the game but I think the social aspect of the pawns is really lacking. It's the one major aspect that feels missing from the game that hasn't been covered satisfactorily by mods.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Tenzarin posted:

Maybe they're sad they didn't get to kill them.

I wish graves were even slightly viable compared to cremating. There was a disturbing mod that had body bags (takes away negative thought from bodies in the open) and mass graves for a while but uh, yeah, not sure I want to go that route either.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Since you're squeemish about mass graves, have you tried just eating them and turning their skin into leather. :shrug:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
You don't even have to eat the stuff, bulk traders will buy it up.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Tenzarin posted:

There are certainly some traits that should lead to sadness because even if you're under attack you might despise the necessary actions, but yeah, it's a bit silly if it's not a Mennonite colony. More than that though, my pawns seem to prioritize visiting graves over just about any other loving thing they could do with their time, I wouldn't mind them nearly so much if that was just a lot rarer.

e; You probably already know but just in case, once you build a crematorium you can exhume the graves and toss the corpses/skeltals into the furnace anyway, so you're not stuck with this for the rest of that colony. I tend to use graves as a stopgap then dig the lot of them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Since you're squeemish about mass graves, have you tried just eating them and turning their skin into leather. :shrug:

I have actually done that in the past and didn't have an issue. :negative: