Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
hey merk do you have any thoughts about the game so far aside from me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

Ecco I'm not interested in conversing with scum ~_~

hey that's cool and all but I don't think you can reasonably think I'm scum for the reasons you've stated. others have agreed with me about them (including foxterrier, who you think is town apparently).

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Don't put words in my mouth thanks

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ecco I'm not interested in conversing with scum ~_~

Ugh, this is garbage because you have no idea if she is actually scum unless you are her scumbuddy.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I don't care what you guys think news at 11

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

isn't that problem of "looking at posting" on day 1? without votes, kills, and lynches to look at it's all just supposition

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

EccoRaven posted:

hey merk do you have any thoughts about the game so far aside from me?

Nope. Playing mostly on a phone this weekend.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

isn't people volunteering/hiding from combat a unique insight in this sort of game? like town actually has info to go on day 1 b/c people are trying to fight/hiding from fighting?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
And imgay just posted Verrs list in the other thread.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

That is correct, Verr.

I reiterate that merk cannot be allowed to taste battle today. My body, however, is ready.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Verr posted:

isn't people volunteering/hiding from combat a unique insight in this sort of game? like town actually has info to go on day 1 b/c people are trying to fight/hiding from fighting?

it doesn't really tell us anything. scum would prefer being in the back row, but I am sure they could say they would want to be in the front for whatever mechanics reason. until we know the full setup it's really hard to say either way what it all means.

merk posted:

Nope. Playing mostly on a phone this weekend.

neat

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

TMMadman posted:

And imgay just posted Verrs list in the other thread.

:agesilaus: even the enemy needs my awesome posting

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

I reiterate that merk cannot be allowed to taste battle today. My body, however, is ready.
and I reiterate, how do you feel about merk? why do you say merk shouldn't be put in battle?

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

EccoRaven posted:

little mac etc. have credibility for eventually showing up and being contributing players; I know they're good for it down the line.

hiipfire is the opposite. plus, hiipfire is actually here but not contributing.

Out of curiosity can anyone that knows metas confirm whether or not this is true?

Terrier is scum maybe but that vote seems so friggin wishy washy/unsure, feels town. Frustrating because she's supposed to be decent. Ask me questions directly because I'm on my phone, Terrier, but I'd like to converse with u

My main questions would be:

Why is forcing content day 1 bad? There's nothing to talk about to coming up with poo poo to make people post seems like a great idea. The only way to get anything to work with, really.

Also, why would it be to Town's advantage to get rid of one of the top content generators, and someone known to be a strong player, Day 1 without a really strong case?

I mean, if they flip scum, then great. But if they flip town...we just lost a strong asset. It seems to me like it makes way more sense to wait for at least one round of flips before pushing to get rid of people known to play strong Town games (esp. in a thread with several lurkers). Day 1 is when we have the least info, the cases suck the most, and we're most likely to make mistakes after all. I mean, maybe you feel you have a really strong case, but I just don't see one great enough to justify to risk of losing a strong player that there's still a good chance could be Town.

Also, how is 'post your scumtells' not an Ecco approach if it's something they apparently did in games past?

And lastly, why do you regard an encrypted post as claiming? I'm mean granted is dumb, but I don't see how it's claiming?

Sorry that ended up being a lot of questions. You can ask me anything you want to, but I'm going to the store so I may not be able to get to you right away. Also my brain hurts from reading all those :bravo2:

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

FoxTerrier posted:

Out of curiosity can anyone that knows metas confirm whether or not this is true?

I don't know about Little Mac, but Hiip is pretty well known for lurking/disappearing, especially when he is scum.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

FoxTerrier posted:

My main questions would be:

Why is forcing content day 1 bad? There's nothing to talk about to coming up with poo poo to make people post seems like a great idea. The only way to get anything to work with, really.

Well, it isn't. The problem is Ecco doesn't traditionally agree with people who think like that. He's more of a "purist". Also, as verr points out, this isn't a traditional d1. We have other content to help us by way of battle info volunteering. The content that Ecco helped bring about : is it helpful? Did Ecco actually try to identify scum through it? No and no, my friend. Scummy motivation.

quote:

Also, why would it be to Town's advantage to get rid of one of the top content generators, and someone known to be a strong player, Day 1 without a really strong case?

I'm a known strong player yet you're voting for me. The answer is simple. As town, we are charged with finding scum. It is not easy to find scum. Town must therefore chase down the scum they find whenever and wherever they find scum. This is what we are both doing. You happen to be wrong is all :)

quote:

I mean, if they flip scum, then great. But if they flip town...we just lost a strong asset. It seems to me like it makes way more sense to wait for at least one round of flips before pushing to get rid of people known to play strong Town games (esp. in a thread with several lurkers). Day 1 is when we have the least info, the cases suck the most, and we're most likely to make mistakes after all. I mean, maybe you feel you have a really strong case, but I just don't see one great enough to justify to risk of losing a strong player that there's still a good chance could be Town.

I have other thoughts and I promise to relay them when it's possible for me to do so coherently. If tomorrow I have time to post, I will. Ecco is scum. I'll make a real case barring shocking revelations when sober.

quote:

Also, how is 'post your scumtells' not an Ecco approach if it's something they apparently did in games past?

I don't think its Eccoish.

quote:

And lastly, why do you regard an encrypted post as claiming? I'm mean granted is dumb, but I don't see how it's claiming.

Consider the scenario fully. Ecco can be town or scum. If town, Ecco has just put a huge bullseye on her head for scum. She has also opened herself up to criticism. It does not actually benefit her or town. If scum, she is forcing more content generation. She is giving herself a role she has to play all game and given herself future credibility. She has sowed dissent among town. It benefits her team.

What do you think?

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Well, it isn't. The problem is Ecco doesn't traditionally agree with people who think like that. He's more of a "purist".
this isn't true at all.

if this is really half the basis for your vote on me (one you're so confident in you've ignored me) then that's very silly.

Consider the scenario fully. Ecco can be town or scum. If town, Ecco has just put a huge bullseye on her head for scum. She has also opened herself up to criticism. It does not actually benefit her or town. If scum, she is forcing more content generation. She is giving herself a role she has to play all game and given herself future credibility. She has sowed dissent among town. It benefits her team.

What do you think?

if I am town (I am) it also gives me a role I have to play all game and gives me future credibility. this benefits my team because it benefits me, town.

also putting a bullseye on my head isn't a bad thing at all if my role isn't very good, since then if the scum kill me I'm absorbing a kill from someone else. but, maybe my role is actually great??!! only me and busb know, the mafia don't!

this is all very not good reasoning diqnol. it's unreasonable that you'd be so convinced I am scum from that.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I don't think your role sucks.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

I don't think your role sucks.

if you had such intimate knowledge of my role you'd also know I was town :eng101:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Thus making your play dumb.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
but does it make me scum

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

It makes you scum or town that has just hurt town

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

You aren't a bad player, Ecco. You wouldn't flippantly make yourself a liability.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

You aren't a bad player, Ecco. You wouldn't flippantly make yourself a liability.
then it's a good thing I didn't do it flippantly. going through the time and effort writing out an elaborate cipher sure isn't flippant to me.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

You wouldn't make yourself a liability to town unless you are trolling. Are. You. Trolling?

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

You wouldn't make yourself a liability to town unless you are trolling. Are. You. Trolling?

I promise you your concern for me making myself "a liability" is completely unplaced and unwarranted and unnecessary.

If you think I have a great, powerful role that's on you. All I've done is code what I got.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
and that's ultimately my problem Diqnol. You're basing your vote around things that are untrue ("ecco would never do this") and things that are totally and completely hypothetical ("ecco would never do that"). and you seem really, really confident about that all, which feels less like you're genuinely thinking you found scum and more like bravado to make your suspicion sound stronger than it is.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Thanks rest of thread for not saying anything at all during this, so loving glad

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

EccoRaven posted:

I promise you your concern for me making myself "a liability" is completely unplaced and unwarranted and unnecessary.

If you think I have a great, powerful role that's on you. All I've done is code what I got.

I think you owned yourself and thus town. Hanging you is a win either way now because we'd be playing with house money.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

I think you owned yourself and thus town. Hanging you is a win either way now because we'd be playing with house money.

so you'd rather vote me out than have scum nightkill me, since obviously scum want to nightkill me since I have such a great role.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Because if you don't, you're scum.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
so if I don't have a great role that's because I'm scum? but if I do, that means I am definitely scum?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I would rather the scum nk someone I hadn't considered and thus impart upon me their character relative to the game dialogue than someone that will inevitably be nked and thus exactly what made sense had happened and our blind hang AND the nk gave us trash information. You might be scum making a gambit, too, so it's a high reward risk I'm taking.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
so you don't want give a chance for the scum to nightkill me because you think I am scum.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Diqnol I am sensing a lot of "damned if you do/damned if you don't" from you. the impression seems to be that it doesn't matter if I'm actually scum or not, just that I need to be punished for making a cipher. I need to die because the scum would kill me anyway (but I'm actually scum anyway so the scum wouldn't kill me).

A lot of language there too about me potentially being "a townie hurting the town," which also reads less like you actually think I'm scum and more like you want an out for when I flip town. "It was ecco's fault," you'd say, "the cipher post made them a liability."

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I mean lol:

You might be scum making a gambit, too, so it's a high reward risk I'm taking.
right here is the money quote. You don't actually think I'm scum. You're voting me for essentially policy reasons, policy reasons which make no sense (one could call them, nonsense). Heck, when I asked you point blank if you thought I was scum you equivocated.

You're setting yourself up so if I die today you get to say it was my fault.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

There is a lot of that because I have concluded that no matter what you say, your death is a town benefit.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

You could say I'm......

.....eccogambiting....

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

your death is a town benefit.

not if I am town with a great role :eng101:

hey diqnol how do you feel about merk? merk seems to think he'd be great in battle, why do you disagree?

You could say I'm......

.....eccogambiting....

ouch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Thanks rest of thread for not saying anything at all during this, so loving glad

no problem

• Locked thread