Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Jethro_E7 posted:

I backed Sol Trader (which probably won't make it over the like just like SC), which will be a better "space adventure" game than SC ever will be and lets me restart my life.

Looks like a rip off of Redshirt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK5RJE8qs1M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Continuing on with our discussion about spaceships in space, here is how to make Keftedakia Tiganita (Κεφτεδάκια Τηγανιτά)!

Much better than Swedish meatballs btw..

Ingredients

• 800 g. Minced veal mixed with pork (thats how we do it in Greece, you can go full beef if you like though)
• 4 slices stale bread soaked and wrung
• 2 large onions, grated
• 3 cloves garlic grated
• 3 tablespoons milk
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 egg
• 1 tsp. fresh oregano
• 1 tsp. fresh basil, finely chopped
• 1 tsp. fresh mint, finely chopped
• 2 tsp. parsley, finely chopped
• ¼ tsp. allspice
• ¼ tsp. cumin
• ½ tsp. mustard powder
• salt - freshly ground pepper
• oil for frying (go for olive here too)

Execution

Take the stale bread and put it in a bowl. Cover with water and let it there for a couple of minutes.
Take the bread out, wring it and grate it with your hands.

In a bowl put the ground beef, grated bread, milk and mix well with your hands.
Then add the onions (with their water), garlic, egg, herbs, spices, oil and salt and pepper.

Knead the mixture well until materials the materials are combined, cover the bowl and leave in the refrigerator for 60'.
Then we take mix with our hands and mold into small balls, in our palms.

Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a wide pan (put oil so as to cover half a meatball when fried) and fry, turning them from every side.
Set the meatballs on paper towels to drain.

You can eat them as is, or make a simple napolitana or spicy tomato sauce and cover them with it. They go well with french fries.

Strategy

Two things to pay attention to here.

1. You need to leave the keftedakia mix in the fridge for up to an hour or more. This serves two purposes. It lets the flavors mix well, and it also firms the mix so that it does not break when you fry it in the pan. Some people tend to cover the keftedakia with flour prior to frying. This helps keep the mix firm, and forms a bigger crust around the ball. It also detracts from the taste imo, so I went with the standard recipe.

2. Don't deep fry the keftedakia. Putting enough oil in the pan to cover half a ball is very important, for a number of reasons my Grandma painstakingly explained to me...and I forgot what they are now (because I'm a dumbass). Long story short, just listen to grandma.

Servings: 5 (or 2 goons).

For other SC Greek cuisine recipes

Dolmadakia
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3744337&userid=214360#post450857976

Spanakopita
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3735644&pagenumber=105&perpage=40#post449684374

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 18, 2015

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Bootcha posted:

:eyepop:

Simon/Nicolas Elms

I WONDERED WHO THE gently caress THAT WAS

loving gently caress gently caress

WHAT THE poo poo gently caress IS loving GOING ON loving HERE

HOLY gently caress BALLS

loving gently caress gently caress

gently caress

:psyboom: :psypop:

In a word. You're hosed. But you already knew that.

Anyway, I am writing a blog dealing specifically with the Gizmondo fiasco and how FOUR execs from that farce, are now intrinsically a part of this Star Citizen farce.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I think it's pretty unlikely that we've even been to space tbh

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

flamingdawg posted:

I wish you'd just given me that money instead.

I keep telling people I'm a better investment than cig but they don't listen. Hell for 25k a year I would have pretended to be dickwulfs best friend. Touching of course would be off the table but when was the last time a jpeg touched someone?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dusty Lens posted:

Star Marine isn't delayed indefinitely :lesnick: - July 8th.

I really want to know if there is anyone on the planet who, upon hearing Ben or Jared say anything about game development, believes it.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?

Raskolnikov posted:

I keep telling people I'm a better investment than cig but they don't listen. Hell for 25k a year I would have pretended to be dickwulfs best friend. Touching of course would be off the table but when was the last time a jpeg touched someone?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Raskolnikov posted:

They touched the hearts of over a million citizens.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I really want to know if there is anyone on the planet who, upon hearing Ben or Jared say anything about game development, believes it.

I'm really hoping that in a couple of years someone does a followup interview with either one of them.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Banano posted:

Actually it was BettysBigTits, as in the big tits of Betty not Betty herself get it right please.

Also Betty is a real woman and reddit user and not the most obvious troll account of all time.

A smarter goon would have linked BettysBigTits to someone else's account like SilentRuin. That way after it's realized it was a scam, CIG would have followed the ships to their account.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

In a word. You're hosed. But you already knew that.

Anyway, I am writing a blog dealing specifically with the Gizmondo fiasco and how FOUR execs from that farce, are now intrinsically a part of this Star Citizen farce.

I must have missed this what does bootchas post mean and why is he hosed

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Dusty Lens posted:

They touched the hearts of over a million citizens.

I'm really hoping that in a couple of years someone does a followup interview with either one of them.

lol if you think ben has a couple years left on his heart.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dante80 posted:

Continuing on with our discussion about spaceships in space, here is how to make Keftedakia Tiganita (Κεφτεδάκια Τηγανιτά)!

Much better than Swedish meatballs btw..

Ingredients

• 800 g. Minced veal mixed with pork (thats how we do it in Greece, you can go full beef if you like though)
• 4 slices stale bread soaked and wrung
• 2 large onions, grated
• 3 cloves garlic grated
• 3 tablespoons milk
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 egg
• 1 tsp. fresh oregano
• 1 tsp. fresh basil, finely chopped
• 1 tsp. fresh mint, finely chopped
• 2 tsp. parsley, finely chopped
• ¼ tsp. allspice
• ¼ tsp. cumin
• ½ tsp. mustard powder
• salt - freshly ground pepper
• oil for frying (go for olive here too)

Execution

Take the stale bread and put it in a bowl. Cover with water and let it there for a couple of minutes.
Take the bread out, wring it and grate it with your hands.

In a bowl put the ground beef, grated bread, milk and mix well with your hands.
Then add the onions (with their water), garlic, egg, herbs, spices, oil and salt and pepper.

Knead the mixture well until materials the materials are combined, cover the bowl and leave in the refrigerator for 60'.
Then we take mix with our hands and mold into small balls, in our palms.

Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a wide pan (put oil so as to cover half a meatball when fried) and fry, turning them from every side.
Set the meatballs on paper towels to drain.

You can eat them as is, or make a simple napolitana or spicy tomato sauce and cover them with it. They go well with french fries.

Strategy

Two things to pay attention to here.

1. You need to leave the keftedakia mix in the fridge for up to an hour or more. This serves two purposes. It lets the flavors mix well, and it also firms the mix so that it does not break when you fry it in the pan. Some people tend to cover the keftedakia with flour prior to frying. This helps keep the mix firm, and forms a bigger crust around the ball. It also detracts from the taste imo, so I went with the standard recipe.

2. Don't deep fry the keftedakia. Putting enough oil in the pan to cover half a ball is very important, for a number of reasons my Grandma painstakingly explained to me...and I forgot what they are now (because I'm a dumbass). Long story short, just listen to grandma.

Servings: 5 (or 2 goons).

For other SC Greek cuisine recipes

Dolmadakia
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3744337&userid=214360#post450857976

Spanakopita
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3735644&pagenumber=105&perpage=40#post449684374

Looks good as f

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Dusty Lens posted:

You seriously think any of them will be alive in a few years, either from heart attacks or Citizens who had one too many '2 weeks' promises

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Engineering debt is a hell of a thing.

I hope engineering debt is a term that gets a lot of use in the future, and every time it's used people remember Star Citizen.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Jst0rm posted:

lol if you think ben has a couple years left on his heart.

Ben if you're reading this maybe give it some serious thought.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Dusty Lens posted:

Ben if you're reading this maybe give it some serious thought.

We care about you in a not gay way ben. You living longer equals more lols. Croberts and sandi killing each other would be cool though.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Dapper Dan posted:

One way you can tell its a scam is that someone doesn't step in from the company and say 'Hey, please don't sacrifice your ability to eat for a videogame, thanks.'

I think if this even needs to be said, it's a good chance your business model is morally corrupt in some non-insignificant way.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Ohmygodsquad posted:

All those moments will be lost in time

Like pubes

In the drain.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I think if this even needs to be said, it's a good chance your business model is morally corrupt in some non-insignificant way.

Star Citizen. Where the poor and mentally ill buy pizzas for the morbidly obese.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

BigMouthSingers posted:

I have a few CIG finance questions if anyone cares to speculate.

1. What would a standard % return be for angel investors that cashed out at $25m.
2. Would the remaining investors that didn't cash, expect yearly dividends?
3. How are executive wages calculated, and by whom?
4. Would all costs associated with starting up CIG and the KS campaign have become a company debt, and repaid?
5. When CIG was incorporated could debt from another company be transfered to CIGs books?

G0RF posted:

The one person here who could answer most of these questions is Bootcha-- and he would be a fool to answer it, given that he's still got a stake in the enterprise.

Yeah, his agreement probably has an NDA clause in it. That's pretty standard.

Good Dumplings posted:

1. They seem to be burning up revenue as fast or faster than they get it, so they likely don't have enough assets to give a return if someone were to cash out. Even if CIG/RSI/(other shell game company) liquidated, investors will probably take a good 50% loss in the least. Can't take the money from paid-out salaries or unpaid loans, after all.
2. They're probably up to their eyeballs in debt, so if they were to somehow give dividends it'd put them further in the red one way or the other. Dividends could happen; Derek could also make a game that isn't 50% acronyms. Forget about it.
3. Wages = Chris, Sandi and their friends get all the money, gently caress you otherwise. Chris loving craves control, I doubt he'd leave it up to anyone else.
4. How the gently caress are they going to repay? Everything they earn is getting spent on salaries or contracting.
5. There's so drat many that it's possible, but see (4).

Hal_2005 posted:

Well, they initially raised $150,000 from VC IIRC, so.... if you had 1 share, valued at 1 dollar. and you invested $150,000. and the company had zero debt, and $25mm in cash. Those shares would now be valued at $166.66/sh. So: You would have made about 166%, if they paid a dividend to those shareholders, and 10% is pretty common for a VC "bonus" after the "series A" round (which they probably would have classified the 50mm capstone) then you could argue they made about 140%, using simple math and after-tax gains.

No. RSI I doubt has paid out any dividends, but if they did, usually VC dividends, like all PE DVD's are only done at specific milestones or to juice the returns of the VC funds. Its very rare a dividend is paid out at all before a major project milestone these days. Most VC shops will prefer free options just ahead of a new round of VC financing. Like Uber & Snapchat for example.

Executive wages are often done as an average of standard compensation and audited by a board of directors. If you don't have a board, like RSI does... you can pretty much pay yourself whatever the gently caress you want, so long as the inital VC's have an understanding on how your salary will scale as your company grows (ponzi grows in this case).

Depends. Most of the startup costs were likely debt, however they could have also been accounts payable, and so long as they were repaid in 190 days, they could have been repaid without incurring debt. A project like RSI I doubt would be able to get much borrowing headroom for collateral, as they lack much in the form of tangible assets & capital goods.

No. If they did that, it would have had to been as a merger and the SEC/IRS would have had to be notified in a merger/change of control. In which case everyone would be aware of it. It is possible however that RSI has been "dropping down" assets, much like a Master Limited Partnership to Cloud Gaming and they have been playing with the relationship's payable/licensing fees to manage their cash burn/payables schedule.

Hal_2005 posted:

Wait what. Are you a independently wealthy man with a day trading account and a Personal Advisor who let you structure a Private Placement into RSI, or did you actually conduct any DD before investing other peoples money into RSI as a part of a VC fund. This is juicy. If this was your first VC investment, as a Partner of a SEC registered Private Equity vehicle, how did you structure this so that you were getting equity in a project with an indefinite project timeline, and you gave up your board seats, super majority and all forms of control. This is one of the most weak rear end PE deals I've heard of, and we have a ton of goons who "day trade" at A16z & Sequoia.

Does your NDA preclude you from talking about how you protected your equity and governance controls? If not, why did your legal counsel waive your rights like this? Or are you full of poo poo. Spidey senses are tingling here, and I only check the thread every 2 weeks now.

Can you explain this Royalty you are getting from RSI ? You mentioned its a NDA bound sales agreement, as per their website each ship is considered a "box sale" as a "pledge" and not a form of equity. Would it be fair to say your initial investment GOR has been getting a percentage of all gross "pledges" to date?

If you are just a Qualified Investor who independently sourced a relationship with CR and your stupid PA (who you should fire, stat) thats cool too. I just hope you get your cash-out through those box sales quicker than CR burns the cash pile to zero (and your residual equity valuation).

1. What would a standard % return be for angel investors that cashed out at $25m.

It depends on the value of the shares at the time they were vested. Usually 1 share != $1

2. Would the remaining investors that didn't cash, expect yearly dividends?

No. That would imply that they had turned a profit.

3. How are executive wages calculated, and by whom?

Usually depending on the company structure, it's by the execs. My guess is that, given the amount of shady people involved in this, it is highly unlikely that they gave any sort of control to the investors in terms of hiring, salaries etc.

NOTE: This is actually one of the sticking points in my question for financials. Those numbers will show what Chris, Sandi and Ortwin are extracting from the company. Then you get to match it up to the industry standard salary scale. Remember also that this is a crowd-funded company; so the rules are a bit more stringent, given that they are squarely under the purview of the FTC and the SEC (since they also have investors left in play).

Also, if they had in fact taken money from the company and paid themselves for "previous" investment. Not only is that fraudulent, but it also has the potential to send whoever did that, to jail. Guaranteed.

4. Would all costs associated with starting up CIG and the KS campaign have become a company debt, and repaid?

It depends on how it was structured. Any startup costs would need accounts payable records. e.g. if one of them took money from the company to pay back themselves, they've had to account for it. That's malfeasance territory.

5. When CIG was incorporated could debt from another company be transfered to CIGs books?

Yes. But only if they bought the other entity as part of their structure. If they did, it would have to show on their books and a paper trail has to exist.

Note: It doesn't necessarily have to be done in the form of a merger. It could also have been done a part of a purchase of the entity that had the debt. And the SEC/IRS would have to be made aware of it. Tons of paperwork.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

pubic drain filter = $10

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Judging by the posts in the RSI forums, I'd say there are plenty of people who fit that description.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

hard ticket to hawaii is never not awesome

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I like how ben, a complete amateur in game development, is in charge of letting the public know the ins and outs of the game development.

There probably isnt a single person who works in gamedev that would say the things he does.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

This tread moves fast, is there a summery somewhere of what is going on? Like a timeline or something?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Jst0rm posted:

I like how ben, a complete amateur in game development, is in charge of letting the public know the ins and outs of the game development.

There probably isnt a single person who works in gamedev that would say the things he does.

You spelled autistic wrong

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

You can outrun the IRS, but you can't outrun your sister's love.
Interestingly, daily funding looks like it has stabilized at $100,000 to $150,000 per day now that CIG has opened up the CCUs to all purchasable ships. I'm pretty surprised, considering that pretty much everyone seems to be expecting an anniversary sale next month.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I only skipped through part of it but that long interview with Jared really shows how far out out of his depth he is. He decides on a good line and then repeats it three times, slowly as if adding extra emphasis to something that really wasn't that clever to begin with will serve in place of saying anything else. He's either really dim or scared shitless of saying the wrong thing.

Assuming the wheels do come off this ride early next year, it's going to suck for the developers, but mostly for Jared and all the dippy star citizen pods cast guys trying to make a living off belief in the dream.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

12 weeks TBD

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Jst0rm posted:

The fact that Ben is accepted to have zero credibility yet his words are enthusiastically received makes him surprisingly useful.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Nomenclature posted:

Interestingly, daily funding looks like it has stabilized at $100,000 to $150,000 per day now that CIG has opened up the CCUs to all purchasable ships. I'm pretty surprised, considering that pretty much everyone seems to be expecting an anniversary sale next month.

Yeah, they'll be well happy with that but the referral thing really needs to bring in a lot of new punters as that level of funding will bring the average pledge upwards and it's not sustainable without them releasing something playable/good.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Eonwe posted:

I must have missed this what does bootchas post mean and why is he hosed

Simon Elms (the guy with the goatee in the CitCon 2015 presentation), Nick Elms, Erin Roberts, Chris Roberts are all lifelong friends.

Simon Elms (who is at Cubic Motion, the company doing the facial animation for SQ42) is now also reported to be the CFO/FO of Foundry 42. He was the same at Warthog (which was bailed out by Gizmondo and became Gizmondo Texas)

Nick Elms is reported to have been investigated by the UK FSA back when he dumped (ultimately crashing the share price) Warthog shares back when his brother was CFO.

Rewind to here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3744337&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=428#post451371353

FF to here: http://pastebin.com/DDeWufw2

Then, further down the rabbit hole:

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/officers/7_JeGbwVhOl_3yvHytsw3xamj_A/appointments

http://www.develop-online.net/interview/meet-foundry-42-s-star-citizens/0194206

https://archive.is/VyD5Y

https://archive.is/jj480

https://archive.is/s0LjB

https://archive.is/2i0qs

https://archive.is/o3TtK (translation: https://pastebin.com/n89xQcJ8)

Even further down the rabbit hole:

Go to Google and search for these phrase: gizmondo Carl Freer upsala mafia

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 18, 2015

TotallyNotSeraph85
Oct 18, 2015

by Cowcaster

Decrepus posted:

A presumably grown man with $200 of cash to his name. Nice.
A presumably grown man making fun of someone presumably less privileged than himself in what is presumably provably the worst economy since the great depression.

Nice.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
D smizzle droppin SMART bombs in this thread.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
I wonder why nobody mentions the fact that it's a little weird to have like 4-6 different companies in 3+ countries to make a videogame.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
down to my last $200 - gently caress it, im gonna buy a jpeg

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Amarcarts posted:

I wonder why nobody mentions the fact that it's a little weird to have like 4-6 different companies in 3+ countries to make a videogame.

Gotta move that money around somehow. Taxes? Lol the fuc? Nah I'm good. Who's going to Monaco? I'll get the yacht ready.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.

AP posted:

Yeah, they'll be well happy with that but the referral thing really needs to bring in a lot of new punters as that level of funding will bring the average pledge upwards and it's not sustainable without them releasing something playable/good.

That referral thing is backfiring hard but a lot of people don't realize it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Fake spaceship jpegs are the right of the workers! Smash the system!

• Locked thread