Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Has he shanked someone yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Tyma posted:

It has to be Nigel and Garces for the Semi-Finals, right?

Nigel and whoever hosed up the least out of the other 3. Garces wasnt particularly great...but out of them...yeah probably

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Tyma posted:

It has to be Nigel and Garces for the Semi-Finals, right?

Poite and Doyle, with Barnes getting the Final and Nige being given the honour of the third place play-off.

Make it happen RFU

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

CyberPingu posted:

Nigel and whoever hosed up the least out of the other 3. Garces wasnt particularly great...but out of them...yeah probably

Barnes and Joubert made game-changing gently caress ups.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

DickEmery posted:

Barnes and Joubert made game-changing gently caress ups.

I didn't watch the other quarters, I had a company thing out of town at the time. What did Barnes gently caress up?

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Joubert robbed the Scots but he also let WP Nel cheat his way through the game so swings and roundabouts

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

dex_sda posted:

I didn't watch the other quarters, I had a company thing out of town at the time. What did Barnes gently caress up?

He gave a good number of slightly dodgy penalties to the Boks in front of the posts.

fallingdownjoe fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 18, 2015

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

DickEmery posted:

So in a world cup where TMOs interrupt for the most trivial poo poo they refuse to look at a game-deciding decision.
Absolute loving travesty.

Scotland were Jouberted out of that.

Correct

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

bigfoot again posted:

Joubert robbed the Scots but he also let WP Nel cheat his way through the game so swings and roundabouts

What the gently caress are you on about? Nel was immense and destroyed the Aus loose head perfectly legally.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's just part of the "modern scrums are rubbish" issue.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

https://www.change.org/p/the-people...tter_responsive

Well that didn't take long.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

dex_sda posted:

The most egregious was the letting South Africa run straight from a ruck and tackle the scrum half in the Welsh 22 which led to the scrum and to the Try.
I'm not saying Wales were robbed, SA scored a good try. But it was a gently caress-up which changed the game.

Joubert straight up decided that game by not going to the TMO.

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006

bigfoot again posted:

This is true, the scrum calls went Scotland's way all day long.

I can't believe people are complaining about Barnes, he was fine. Garces is a terrible ref.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
I think it was Joubert's arrogance in not asking the TMO that was the worst part, as if he had super robot ref eyes and saw it all flawlessly in real time.

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

I think it was Joubert's arrogance in not asking the TMO that was the worst part, as if he had super robot ref eyes and saw it all flawlessly in real time.

The TMO can be used only in the following circumstances:

-Determining the grounding of the ball in-goal for a try or touchdown and/or whether players were in touch or touch in goal before grounding
-Determining whether a kick at goal has been successful
-Confirm if an infringement has occurred in the build-up to a try or prevention of a try (infringement must be within two phases of the try or touchdown)
-Considering acts of possible foul play

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

Glad the IRB or World Rugby or whatever they call themselves these days subjected us all to endless TMO replays of rucks, tackles and gently caress knows what else in the group stages only to have a game altering call in the last two minutes of a quarter be un-reviewable.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Dog Friday posted:

The TMO can be used only in the following circumstances:

-Determining the grounding of the ball in-goal for a try or touchdown and/or whether players were in touch or touch in goal before grounding
-Determining whether a kick at goal has been successful
-Confirm if an infringement has occurred in the build-up to a try or prevention of a try (infringement must be within two phases of the try or touchdown)
-Considering acts of possible foul play

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgc0ShkSAhM

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Shouldn't "foul play" logically include "anything which might give away a penalty" though?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

fallingdownjoe posted:

Shouldn't "foul play" logically include "anything which might give away a penalty" though?

Generally speaking "foul play" is intentional, there's nothing intentional about knocking the ball on or standing in front of it and reflexively grabbing at it.

But it should have been reviewed, and World Rugby refs need to be allowed and in fact required to review calls that determine the outcome of a game like that.

I hope the Pumas beat the Wallabies next weekend just so we as rugby spectators have the chance to see a country pick up its first World Cup title. It's really distressing to think that three out of four countries stand to pick up their third title, it doesn't make the sport look good.

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006

Here are the official rules: http://laws.worldrugby.org/downloads/TMO_Protocol_Aug_14_EN.pdf

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

You think the truth will set you free...
Worse than the offside decision was Joubert not seeing Drew Mitchell's late hit on Hogg a minute before that. That would have been a penalty for Scotland where the ball landed in the Australian half. Can't believe he didn't see it or that the TMO, so vocal in the first half was suddenly tongue tied. I can't believe Joubert ran off the pitch at the whistle. At least have the guts to shake the player's hands and look them in the eye.

Vamos Los Pumas!

Painkiller fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 18, 2015

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Laws.

6. (a) The ball shall be put into the scrum from the Referee’s side by holding it in a horizontal position with a point in each hand and rolling it along the ground into the tunnel formed by the opposing front row forwards.

Edit : so as not to be obtuse. The Laws of the game are routinely ignored by referees in order to make it a fair contest. If Joubert had gone to the TMO to check the game-deciding decision there is not a person in the game who would have criticised him. In not going to the TMO he allowed an incorrect decision to decide the outcome of a game which is scandalous in my view.

DickEmery fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 18, 2015

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006

DickEmery posted:

Laws.

6. (a) The ball shall be put into the scrum from the Referee’s side by holding it in a horizontal position with a point in each hand and rolling it along the ground into the tunnel formed by the opposing front row forwards.

Edit : so as not to be obtuse. The Laws of the game are routinely ignored by referees in order to make it a fair contest. If Joubert had gone to the TMO to check the game-deciding decision there is not a person in the game who would have criticised him. In not going to the TMO he allowed an incorrect decision to decide the outcome of a game which is scandalous in my view.

I actually agree with you there to some extent. I think the protocols in this case resulted in an incorrect decision to remain standing. This needs to somehow be corrected without the game being further reliant on the TMO, which has been something of an issue...

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

DickEmery posted:

If Joubert had gone to the TMO to check the game-deciding decision there is not a person in the game who would have criticised him.
have you ever met an australian?

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

awesmoe posted:

have you ever met an australian?

"person"

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
So Australia played like poo poo and didn't deserve to win but did. I just hope to god they actually turn up to play good rugby against Argentina

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I'm disappointed Joubert hosed us, but I'm glad Scotland showed the ability and mentality to make that a close game they almost won. Everyone had written us off for this game and we defied the odds.

Can go out as the only NH team to be a point off a SH team.

I just hope we can carry this on to the Six Nations.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

ColtMcAsskick posted:

So Australia played like poo poo and didn't deserve to win but did. I just hope to god they actually turn up to play good rugby against Argentina

I'm just really hoping this was our scare to get back on track.

Got up at 12 to watch the game, too wound up to get back to sleep and now ten hours at work.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

WMain00 posted:

I'm disappointed Joubert hosed us, but I'm glad Scotland showed the ability and mentality to make that a close game they almost won. Everyone had written us off for this game and we defied the odds.

Can go out as the only NH team to be a point off a SH team.

I just hope we can carry this on to the Six Nations.

Who's starting the campaign to rename the Six Nations the poo poo Nations? Somehow this weekend has made being back-to-back 6N winners something of a drag.

Hopefully France's performance means they put in a wage cap in their domestic game, which would do us all a favor really. Brian Moore hit the nail on the head when he said he didn't care how many European Cups Bastareaud had won because he's a shithouse centre who doesn't belong on a Test field.

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
Terrible yellow card by the way. Did not deserve it. I had almost forgotten about it but it crawled back into memory as I remembered how badly Aus played. I'm so sorry Scotland.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Who's starting the campaign to rename the Six Nations the poo poo Nations? Somehow this weekend has made being back-to-back 6N winners something of a drag.

Hopefully France's performance means they put in a wage cap in their domestic game, which would do us all a favor really. Brian Moore hit the nail on the head when he said he didn't care how many European Cups Bastareaud had won because he's a shithouse centre who doesn't belong on a Test field.

A kiwi pal of mine keeps calling it the Kids Table :saddowns:

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

HappyCamperGL posted:

What the gently caress are you on about? Nel was immense and destroyed the Aus loose head perfectly legally.

Nope he folded in half like a penknife on multiple occasions

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
pff the southern hemisphere wishes they had a competition as noble and prestigious as the six nations

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

pff the southern hemisphere wishes they had a competition as noble and prestigious as the six nations

Hey now. We have 3 (!) trophies to win while competing for the Rugby Championship trophy.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Kurtofan posted:

Pfft, Bledisloe Cup, Freedom Cup and Mandela Challenge Plate, mate. Check, and mate. King me.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

Maybe we can let the winner of the 6N play in the RC the next year.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

Other than the World Cup, you mean?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Only four years until Japan's great reveal as the pre-eminent force in world rugby :getin:

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

Ermm this is embarrassing... but I guess you guys forgot about

This magnificent bastard???

(Also, something called the "Centenary Quaich - Ireland- Scotland", The prestigious Giuseppe Garibaldi Trophy, France - Italy and of course the momentous Millenium Trophy which is hotly contested and surely cared about by the fans of England and Ireland?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Unimpressed posted:

Maybe we can let the winner of the 6N play in the RC the next year.

Maybe the 6N countries could...take some kind of...tour...to the RC countries next June in order to...test...how well they...match up against them. A "rugby tour" featuring "test matches," if you will. Or maybe even sooner than that, the RC countries could likewise have a "tour" to Europe.