Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

Well, it isn't. The problem is Ecco doesn't traditionally agree with people who think like that. He's more of a "purist". Also, as verr points out, this isn't a traditional d1. We have other content to help us by way of battle info volunteering. The content that Ecco helped bring about : is it helpful? Did Ecco actually try to identify scum through it? No and no, my friend. Scummy motivation.

Idk dude, I think considering how much posting it's generated it's been as helpful as anything could be. Nothing Day 1 is going to nail scum; but it may yet prove useful Day 4 as Ecco has been claiming it will. And since he has apparently done it in another game the continued insistence it's not 'Eccoish' still strikes me as odd. If he did it in another game, it's not out of character. Dunno why you're being inflexible on that.

FWIW also Ecco did use it to try and ID scum via the slapfight with KB, so I'm not sure why you're saying he didn't try to use it to ID scum with? He has, albiet arguably in a hyper-focused manner.

Agree that analysis of battle plans makes things a bit difference; but it's a topic it's hard to really say too much about (or prod too much about) without accidentally giving away information that could help the Trojans in their battle plans. I'm reluctant to prod much there for that very reason and I can certainly see why others are as well. That makes the scumtell thing etc retain its usefulness in my eyes as an alternate source of info where there's no risk of Town saying too much.

I'm a known strong player yet you're voting for me. The answer is simple. As town, we are charged with finding scum. It is not easy to find scum. Town must therefore chase down the scum they find whenever and wherever they find scum. This is what we are both doing. You happen to be wrong is all :)

It's true that I am voting for you Day 1 currently despite you being a strong player, but that's pretty reluctantly and with keeping one steady eye on lurkers like CPig and LittleMac. I may very well unvote or switch for to one of 'em for the very concerns I expressed earlier.

But anyway, I decided to vote for you thus far (despite my 'lynching strong player Day 1' concerns), because I think you pushing a weak case so heartily, despite the risk of accidentally offing a good player, is just super weird... weird enough to risk throwing a vote out on. Do you really think your case on Ecco is also strong enough to warrant a similar risk? If so press on I guess, I just don't see it yet.

Consider the scenario fully. Ecco can be town or scum. If town, Ecco has just put a huge bullseye on her head for scum. She has also opened herself up to criticism. It does not actually benefit her or town. If scum, she is forcing more content generation. She is giving herself a role she has to play all game and given herself future credibility. She has sowed dissent among town. It benefits her team.

What do you think?

I don't really see how posting a bunch of gibberish that may or may not be accurate is creating a bullseye. Mostly it just seems like white noise bollucks that he may or may not try to make into something later. I certainly agree said white noise could be handy if she's scum, but saying it's sowed dissent among town seems to be selling it a bit hard.

----
Reading Ecco/GP slapfight about night kills and crap...yeah...I'm just confused. You two are hurting my brain. GP, you cracked Eccos role code or think Scum has and that they're going to target her as a result...so you'd rather lynch her now and hopefully somehow get better info from a NK?

So...wait..what..you think she's town now?

Is that right? This is legit greek to me (har har):

I would rather the scum nk someone I hadn't considered and thus impart upon me their character relative to the game dialogue than someone that will inevitably be nked and thus exactly what made sense had happened and our blind hang AND the nk gave us trash information. You might be scum making a gambit, too, so it's a high reward risk I'm taking.

I am lost^

ANYWAY

At this point this is mostly turning into another slapfight, and what I'm reaallllly interested in is knowing:

1) Where is Little Mac?! Seriously dude has not even checked in once.
2) CPig needs to come in and justify his vote and post more
3) King Burgundy Do you have any scum picks besides Ecco? How about town picks?
4) Asiina Do you have any scum or town picks?

Wanna see some reads up in here. And yeah lurkers need to post more period.

Also yea what's up with this?

merk posted:

Diqnol why do you keep avoiding Ecco's question about a read on me? That's like three times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

EccoRaven posted:

hey bowmore how do you feel about :

- me
- merk
- diqnol

and do you have your own thoughts so far?
I've never had my own thoughts

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
but I will try and get my brain to do a thing when I'm finished working on this other thing

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Opopanax posted:

Someone tell me who to vote for, I have been on the move since 3:30 am and taken 3 different planes today

It's all mostly Day 1 bollucks. Your choice so far is mostly between participants of various slap fights or trying to oust some lurkers.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

would we be better of voting a lurker for the second lynch or sending them off to fight?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

FoxTerrier posted:

It's all mostly Day 1 bollucks. Your choice so far is mostly between participants of various slap fights or trying to oust some lurkers.

Can anyone verify if that's true or if FT is being dismissive? Because this could well be a scum post

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Opopanax posted:

Can anyone verify if that's true or if FT is being dismissive? Because this could well be a scum post

It's true. If you want my actual picks, I just posted above why I'm keeping my vote on GP (pushing a poor case weirdly hard) and that I consider CPig my next pic (lurking and coming in just long enough to drop a bandwangony vote). Lil Mac would by my third pick for failing to post at all.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

FoxTerrier posted:

It's true. If you want my actual picks, I just posted above why I'm keeping my vote on GP (pushing a poor case weirdly hard) and that I consider CPig my next pic (lurking and coming in just long enough to drop a bandwangony vote). Lil Mac would by my third pick for failing to post at all.

Edit:

here's more detailed stuff from this afternoon after a read-through if it helps

FoxTerrier posted:

OK.

SO after all that...

TMM reads Town. Reasoning is authentic and doesn't feel tortured.
Ecco is Neutral. Her objections to the Merk and GP/Diqnol cases are legit, but the hyper-focusing on KP is a bit odd.
Merk...his case is weird, but his posts about scum tell seems Townie?? Neutral leaning scum.
No read on Hiipfire
Then there's Asiina who IMHO dropped a vote with bad logic that just kind of repeated what other people said without explaining crap. Leaning scum.
GP...gunna have to lean scum. His case against Ecco is too weak and I have to view it as inherently anti-town to try to lynch the heaviest poster Day 1 without really good cause. But on the other hand...at least he's posting.

And CPig's popping up to vote and leaving is crap. And he's a lurker and it smells like an easy bandwagon.

Urg.

I'm kind of torn on who to go for. My brains a little fried from reading all those pages (Oh god I should never fall behind again!). But for now...

##vote Guisseppe Pizzapie

I may well change that to GP/Diq or someone else depending on things go. That'll do for now tho.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

EccoRaven posted:

imo these are bad answers

EccoRaven posted:

it is a bad post.

EccoRaven posted:

I think KB's evasion of the question and case against me is pretty bad. Still deciding if it's dumb or scum though.

EccoRaven posted:

that's a little unreasonable.

I think this is a pretty silly vote merk.

EccoRaven posted:

those are nonsense opinions!

EccoRaven posted:

nah those are some dumb votes too.

EccoRaven posted:

They're nonsense posts. Sorry you guys made posts of nonsense!

EccoRaven posted:

Diqnol's point is dumb too

EccoRaven posted:

It reads like KB made a dumb post

EccoRaven posted:

you're kind of wrong then.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
See ya

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I don't know who is a good second lynch. I agree with getting rid of a lurker.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
Lurker lynch sounds good

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

HiipFire posted:

Lurker lynch sounds good

This guy doesn't really play mafia. He's a good second lynch.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
You guys are really deadset on lynching me for some reason

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

HiipFire posted:

Lurker lynch sounds good

What are your Town and Scum picks duder?

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

HiipFire posted:

No? Ecoo's the only one that mentioned it besides Merk just now. You don't even have a vote on you I don't think.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

HiipFire posted:

You're basically a lurker.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

get bent.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

FoxTerrier posted:

No? Ecoo's the only one that mentioned it besides Merk just now. You don't even have a vote on you I don't think.

i was referring to ecco and merk with you guys

also ill give you my read list in a quick sec

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
no but seriously merk I have addressed your underlying points multiple times and you refuse to engage with them, instead insulting me for my tone (which has been VERY cordial all game). I've made other cases and responded to other posts yet all you can say is I'm bad for saying things are bad?

if you genuinely can't handle me calling a point of yours "silly" or "nonsense" and ignore the rest of my posts because of it then you can get bent.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

People voted you, and your response was to call each person's vote dumb, bad, or stupid which looks like you trying to discredit them. It's a great d1 case.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

merk posted:

People voted you, and your response was to call each person's vote dumb, bad, or stupid. It's a great d1 case.

no, my response was to pick apart the reasons for the cases and show how they were not good reasons (yours especially). I did so in addition to saying "hey this is kind of not sensical (i.e. nonsense)."

get bent.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
this is just absolutely beyond frustrating for me. every game I play recently I get a ton of heat early into day 1 for no good reason. in this game, a soldiers game (very fun) that I have waited for weeks (WEEKS) (very patiently) to play it's happening again. and for what?

diqnol for what is essentially a policy vote.

merk for me using such vicious slurs as "silly" and "nonsense."

CPig for whatever reason CPig does things.

I know, "oh woe is me" posts are dumb but I am genuinely very frustrated and it's so beyond dumb.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
##vote merk

he's been taking a back seat to actual scumhunting today, his "case" against me is not good because its points aren't reflected in reality, and I think he's just playing up his bother by my language to avoid addressing the flaws in his case.

I think he's acting like a parody of himself this game. Since he's genuinely disengaged with the game he's doing what he thinks he'd do as town in this situation, but it rings totally empty.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

merk posted:

I don't know who is a good second lynch. I agree with getting rid of a lurker.

If you don't have any scum reads beyond Ecco, do you have any Town ones?

HiipFire posted:

i was referring to ecco and merk with you guys

also ill give you my read list in a quick sec

How's it comen bro?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

FoxTerrier posted:

If you don't have any scum reads beyond Ecco, do you have any Town ones?

No, I don't usually make town reads. I guess maybe I should in this format. Nothing jumps out right now though.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

EccoRaven posted:

##vote merk

he's been taking a back seat to actual scumhunting today

merk posted:

Nope. Playing mostly on a phone this weekend.

?

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Asiina posted:

I agree with merk. I could see Ecco misrepresenting KB as a misunderstanding, but now she's doing the same thing with merk when he couldn't have been clearer.

##vote Ecco

Asiina could you explain to me how Ecco misrepresented merk? I'm not seeing it, but you seem to.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

merk a better mafia player than I once said that anyone can make a three bulletpoint case on someone else in 15 minutes on their phone.

you haven't even done that.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Hail cool people. Sorry, I've been sick and I was under the impression this wasn't happening. Then I get PMs and it IS happening so okay. I'm not gonna read ten pages but would gladly vote Ecco on principle. What is the case on Ecco?

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Little Mac posted:

What is the case on Ecco?

there isn't a single unified case, and the cases that are there are perfect because you can say whatever you want and be as good as those.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

That doesn't help me at all, Ecco.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

FoxTerrier posted:

Asiina could you explain to me how Ecco misrepresented merk? I'm not seeing it, but you seem to.

merk posted:

I voted you because your attempt to spark content went nowhere and you made no attempt to make it go anywhere but nowhere.

EccoRaven posted:

"you asked for content and it didn't help!"

This isn't just rephrasing, this is actively changing what he meant. There is a difference between asking for content and it not helping, and asking for content with no purposeful followup.

Also after making up quotes about KB saying his scum game is "perfect" which is a thing he never said, it feels like Ecco is just trying to reframe things to fit what she wants rather than actually looking at people honestly.

One or the other on their own wouldn't be enough to vote on, but together it begins to paint a picture. It's a scum mindset.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
tbh I like all the high volume posters for town(though Ecco is my least strong read of those) and I'd like to lynch Rarity cause she aint got no posts

##vote Rarity

im sorry its 5AM i can barely form coherent sentences

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Little Mac posted:

That doesn't help me at all, Ecco.

ok well totally neutrally:

KB is voting me because we disagreed about an interpretation over one of his posts and it quickly escalated.

Diqnol is voting me because I fullclaimed and made myself a huge liability.

merk is voting for me because I asked a content question at the beginning and deliberately directed the conversation to unhelpful places, including insulting people regularly for their intellect and reasonableness instead of making cases or addressing the cases against me.

Asiina is voting for me because I grossly phrased merk's opinions on me in a way that said "ecco is obviously scum"

CPig is voting for me because who knows why he does things.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Asiina posted:

One or the other on their own wouldn't be enough to vote on, but together it begins to paint a picture. It's a scum mindset.
I disagree. I think both my glib summaries of people's opinions were, at worst, just glib and sarcastic. It's not a scum mindset at all.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

EccoRaven posted:

merk a better mafia player than I once said that anyone can make a three bulletpoint case on someone else in 15 minutes on their phone.

you haven't even done that.

merk posted:

In case it isn't obvious, Ecco's misrepresentation of my vote is an attempt to discredit it rather than try to learn my alignment from it. He did the same thing with Diqnol's vote.

I ask again: ?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

EccoRaven posted:

ok well totally neutrally:

KB is voting me because we disagreed about an interpretation over one of his posts and it quickly escalated.

Diqnol is voting me because I fullclaimed and made myself a huge liability.

merk is voting for me because I asked a content question at the beginning and deliberately directed the conversation to unhelpful places, including insulting people regularly for their intellect and reasonableness instead of making cases or addressing the cases against me.

Asiina is voting for me because I grossly phrased merk's opinions on me in a way that said "ecco is obviously scum"

CPig is voting for me because who knows why he does things.

How many of these, in your opinion, are legit reasons to vote for you?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
My vote on Ecco is locked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

merk posted:

I ask again: ?

cool ok thanks a bunch merk, glad to know I was wrong about you totally and completely. You caught me red handed all right.

• Locked thread