Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Sandi is the CO in S42? I'm sure the whole crew has clean shaven pubes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

MeLKoR posted:

Acting for FMV doesn't fall under the description of VP of Marketing and since these don't strike me as charitable people whatever work she did for that is going to be paid on the side and my bet is that it was much closer to what the other actors got than to whatever rate actresses of her caliber should be getting.

Working without compensation on a friend's direct-to-Youtube zombie film "for the exposure?"

no_recall posted:

Sandi is the CO in S42? I'm sure the whole crew has clean shaven pubes.

I thought everyone's role was "[REDACTED]" (I don't think that word means what they think it means), except for Oldman as the Space Oberfurher?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Wulfling posted:

Also what the gently caress is this supposed "greatest advancement in human education and entertainment"? They can't seriously be talking about this fraud of a game pyramid scheme.

holy gently caress what is wrong with these people

Sarsapariller posted:

The other best part is that all they'd have to do, all they'd have to do, to prove 90% of this thread wrong, is release a functioning game and have it be any good. That's it- no need for bans or refunds or endless back and forth drama or purity tests or what-the-gently caress-ever, just make the game. It'd instantly silence all of the "Game's never coming out" criticism, and kneecap the "Money's being thrown away for nothing" argument as well.

Yet they don't do it. Despite clearly demonstrating semi-functional prototypes over and over again with FPS demos dating back to 14 months ago, the only thing they've released of note this year is a static level that a few people can wander in at a time. They never release anything of substance and at this point they give no dates at all. And the fans don't question it.

I wonder why?

I still love the comparison between SC and Elite. Both finished their kickstarter at the same time, and yet one of them has something to show for it while continuing to make progress at a good pace.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Wulfling posted:

Also what the gently caress is this supposed "greatest advancement in human education and entertainment"? They can't seriously be talking about this fraud of a game pyramid scheme.

Does the education part come after the huge crash and burn? Because there's nothing like a lesson learned than losing 20,000 dollars.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Ohmygodsquad posted:

I just love that CR calls himself The Chairman™. Its loving Lord British all over again. I hope he makes his game and plays The Chairman™ in it so he can be personally trolled.

:getin:

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

holy gently caress what is wrong with these people

I still love the comparison between SC and Elite. Both finished their kickstarter at the same time, and yet one of them has something to show for it while continuing to make progress at a good pace.

Frontier delivered a really crap game in the beginning. I played in November last year and I had no idea wtf I was doing. Earning credits was a literal chore compared to what they've done today. I would say Elite rose from their ash heap to be a game that's actually worth playing right now. I own a pretty fleet of kitted out ships and I like where I am financially in game right now, which are definitely not JPEGs. I played Elite, building my ranks, bank account to spite SC lovers and their spaceship jpegs; the gamble paid off.

From that absurd "Morrow tour", I don't even know where to begin. It looks like CR is trying hard to make it believable but its failing on so many levels.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013
I can't believe they have a JPEG called '325i'. Does it look like this

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
You know, guys, all joking aside, digging up info on DickWulf and his wife for some reason is kind of borderline obsessive. It doesn't matter if it's doxing or not, just please don't. There is really no reason to go beyond what we already know about him thanks to logs and public appearances. poo poo like this has killed the Doobie thread, so let's be mindful of that. I understand looking into Sandi's claims and whatnot, but Knight is just a sad nobody.

That said, fart.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
The Guide for reading this thread for people who don't keep up and keep asking what happened a 1000 posts ago:

- if the last page mentions a jpeg, you didn't miss a goddamn thing
-

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

CIG are not building a game. They try to create a universe. This is a new paradigm in development - it's understandable that conclusions will be wrong when old paradigm are used as benchmarks. SC doesn't have a budget, it's not, per definition, a project. Creating the SC universe is the service CIG are providing us, the backers and customers. As long as we keep paying, they'll keep developing.

furthermore

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Truga posted:

furthermore

Translation. Keep buying jpegs, and we'll keep selling you new, shinier jpegs.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm genuinely surprised Sandi never appeared on one of those god awful VH1 reality competition shows before all of this. That would have explained a lot to us all right away.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Truga posted:

furthermore

It seems like Ed is following that idea further then sc.

Build 400 billion start galaxy.

Build planet landing

Build content content content.

I mean if ed guys had 90 million maybe they would go bonkers and gently caress it up too.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Jst0rm posted:

It seems like Ed is following that idea further then sc.

Build 400 billion start galaxy.

Build planet landing

Build content content content.

I mean if ed guys had 90 million maybe they would go bonkers and gently caress it up too.

E:D made a decision early on to not go pay to win. The only things you can buy with dollars are the game, the expansions, and cosmetic DLC. Ships, weapons, etc. must be bought with earned in-game money. I admire Frontier for taking the high road here.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

sincx posted:

E:D made a decision early on to not go pay to win. The only things you can buy with dollars are the game, the expansions, and cosmetic DLC. Ships, weapons, etc. must be bought with earned in-game money. I admire Frontier for taking the high road here.

Yeah. Good for them. Sc on the other hand had a bullet point about not being pay to win and gently caress if it's not pay to win.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Jst0rm posted:

I really doubt it. Braben is about as "getting things done in an orderly fashion" level headed as Brits come, and he stuck to his chosen profession like glue. If he was going to go ego-bonkers, it would have been when he got his OBE.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Unfunny Poster posted:

I'm genuinely surprised Sandi never appeared on one of those god awful VH1 reality competition shows before all of this. That would have explained a lot to us all right away.
Didn't she though?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

it's not pay to anything because they have no idea how their loving economy will work. croberts has said it wont take long to earn the super expensive ships, but he keeps selling them to save people from a few hours of farming I guess.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Baby pee? Ew!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kakarot posted:

Didn't she though?

Not that I know of, but then again I wouldn't be surprised.

She was the host of that really awkward and confusing "Great Starship" series CIG produced rather than, you know, developing the game.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

[
man i didnt know oldman played a part in wing commander

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Paladinus posted:

You know, guys, all joking aside, digging up info on DickWulf and his wife for some reason is kind of borderline obsessive. It doesn't matter if it's doxing or not, just please don't. There is really no reason to go beyond what we already know about him thanks to logs and public appearances. poo poo like this has killed the Doobie thread, so let's be mindful of that. I understand looking into Sandi's claims and whatnot, but Knight is just a sad nobody.

That said, fart.

It is really killing the comedy and the thread. There are a million sad autists on the net. One of them is in-front of your monitor

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Unfunny Poster posted:

You know what to do with that face.
Indeet

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Otisburg posted:

Contrast with having to unwrap his face and texture map it over some triangles to turn Gary into a sock puppet so they could try to wow people into caring about their videogame with the raw leading man star power that is Holy poo poo Look It's Gary loving Oldman.
Well the other CoD absolutely did that to Kevin Spacey whose digital face was then shown in every tv commercial and apparently that helped sell the game. Not that it will help Star Citizen because the actual reason Roberts wants it is because live actors were used in Wing Commander so it's something that he remembers from his glory days and that's all there is to it.

CBT Time
Mar 4, 2005

Can there be any justification for renting offices in Santa Monica? I get that certain businesses have to be in a decent area to impress clients or whatever but that doesn't apply to CIG.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

Truga posted:

furthermore

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Star Citizen: This is not a product, it's a lifestyle

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

Cats LOVE Cigars! posted:

Can there be any justification for renting offices in Santa Monica? I get that certain businesses have to be in a decent area to impress clients or whatever but that doesn't apply to CIG.

None for a start up game developmwnt company, except that someone else (backer) are footing the bill.

Second Sun
Apr 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Cats LOVE Cigars! posted:

Yeah, you have to say it's either corruption if he or someone he knows owns the place, or it's further proof the whole thing is an ego driven project which is wasteful and best and despicable at worst.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Guess which one is made by a company that has been continually making games since the early 90's and not folded :eng101:

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Wise Learned Man posted:

I think they're shooting for a Smallscale Handmade Action Realtime Test instead.

If you watch some of the recent videos, you can practically see it taking shape. I think it'll come out with the PU.

Either way it's all ending up as the Star Citizen Alpha Module, and I just hope they have the resources to host all the Realtime Entropic Fluid Uniform Newtonian Dynamics players will demand.

chaosbreather fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Oct 19, 2015

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug
So that's where all the money is going! Lattice Boltzmann simulations! Gotta make sure the showers/toilets/pee hose have maximum realtism!

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

Io_ posted:

So that's where all the money is going! Lattice Boltzmann simulations! Gotta make sure the showers/toilets/pee hose have maximum realtism!

You mean they're not going to hire on some big name to completely redesign what already works and replace it with a "revolutionary" in house design like they have so many other systems?

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

Wulfling posted:

You mean they're not going to hire on some big name to completely redesign what already works and replace it with a "revolutionary" in house design like they have so many other systems?

I mean hell, just look at how their FPS with all the fancy new animation systems are working for them. In an FPS engine. With the engine developers on staff.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Young Freud posted:

Except the audience for SQ42 had pretty much already pre-paid for the game. It's unclear how many copies they'll be able to sell once it's released because that 1 million members they already have is going to count against that expansion in sales. It's become a common saying here that RSI has hit their limit in the number of customers that will buy the product and it's probably the truth.

What I think is going to happen is that SQ42 will probably be released, then RSI claims they delivered the product and then promptly folds before anyone can get their refunds. Whether or not Roberts and crew abscond with the money or they just simply exhausted all existing funds remains to be seen.

Yes, 700K+ (backers, not people who just tried it, thus have a forum account, while not paying anything) people who pre-paid are no longer a USP. They have to be able to sell to more people.

Bear in mind also that not all of those 700K+ people are going to be happy with it. And that's going to affect the buying decisions of anyone else who wants to buy it.

I don't believe that they will release SQ42 ep1 in any meaningful shape or form before they collapse. They are trying to do that; which is why they have since chopped it down.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Fang The Parrot posted:

I thought dsmart said they were broke before the KS? lost all his money in ascendant or something

Yes, they were. And that's a material fact. They were living somewhere in Marina Del Rey before the SC money kicked in. Then they moved to a mansion in Pacific Palisades.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Truga posted:

Also, I just noticed D_smart took down that stream parody collage thing claiming copyrights? That's a road he really shouldn't have gone down. :can:

There was a reason for that.

Fang The Parrot
Oct 16, 2015

$2500 of spaceships?

D_Smart posted:

Yes, 700K+ (backers, not people who just tried it, thus have a forum account, while not paying anything) people who pre-paid are no longer a USP. They have to be able to sell to more people.

Bear in mind also that not all of those 700K+ people are going to be happy with it. And that's going to affect the buying decisions of anyone else who wants to buy it.

I don't believe that they will release SQ42 ep1 in any meaningful shape or form before they collapse. They are trying to do that; which is why they have since chopped it down.

Do you really think you'll be able to get a result from litigation within 12 months?

Or do you think they will just collapse from lack of funds before the game or any litigation can be resolved?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Yes, and that reason isn't a copyright issue. You just did the worst thing possible on youtube. You took down a video claiming copyrights when it was evidently not.

Enjoy your epic shitstorm.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Paladinus posted:

I agree.

However, that's not what happened actually. It's the same issue that happened with Sandi and Skye. The kid just happened to be in the Sandi picture on IMDB. A picture that, along with other evidence (public court records which we never revealed btw) we had uncovered, made it clear that she and Croberts were married. Before that, and long before the CitCon reveal, most in the SC community were saying that I was making poo poo up. Since then, guess what? Now they're saying "Oh yeah, it was obvious all along". Clowns.

In the case of DickWulf, their profiles were reference linked to each other. Since they are public profiles - and seeing he was lying about where he used to work - the work history in both showed they both worked at the same place for a time. That was the only reason.

And the reason that this even came up? Well, aside from all the despicable things he's doing, this is the same guy issuing threats of bodily harm to others on the Internet.

It's a morals thing really. The general consensus in all social media is that if you can Google it, then it's not doxxing.

So no, it has absolutely nothing to do with her; though he put this collage together and is spreading it as proof of doxing. Go figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Io_ posted:

Guess which one is made by a company that has been continually making games since the early 90's and not folded :eng101:

Reminder that while Chris Roberts was busy crashing out of the movie industry, David Braben was Setting up the Rasberry Pi foundation.

Not that it's a 'good person' competition. But if it were, Braben would totally win.

e: it's a good person competition because there's no game to compete against Elite

• Locked thread