Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Maybe the best idea is to make the club competitions worldwide? We've already got Japan and Singapore joining the super 15, why not some European teams? Stick to the same rules where only 2 imports are allowed so the player skills increase while not weakening the pool of players for international sides.

Travel costs would be insane. Japan and Singapore are already going to be tough but South Africa wants out of SANZAR so it can get that sweet sweet Euro money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
let's go argentina, I guess, why not

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Vaders Jester posted:

When was the last time NZ lost two on the trot?

Vagabundo?

2011, during the Tri Nations.

5-18 to the Boks in Port Elizabeth, then 20-25 to the Wallabies in Brisbane.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

yussss

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

How the gently caress do you support a country that's not your own?!

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Mr Chips posted:

I believe that Australia can still, if they put their minds to it, lose to Scotland.

I hadn't accounted for the Joubert factor :doh:

Ewar Woowar posted:

probably the same way people will support professional sports teams on other continents: they like the colour of the shirts

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ewar Woowar posted:

I support Scotland because one of my best friends is from there? :shrug: I just want to see them do well and be rewarded for their efforts.

Otherwise, it's the All Blacks because I live in New Zealand, and Japan because my mum's Japanese and I grew up there.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Oct 19, 2015

TRISHY
Apr 12, 2005

Ewar Woowar posted:

I support Wallabies cause I live here, sometimes Argentina cause my family is from Chile and its right next door, and sometimes the Saffas cause I am in love with Bismarck Du Plessis

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

TRISHY posted:

I support Wallabies cause I live here, sometimes Argentina cause my family is from Chile and its right next door, and sometimes the Saffas cause I am in love with Bismarck Du Plessis

Poor Jannie.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Ewar Woowar posted:

my country is so poo poo I could probably play on the team after showing them how much I bench, without ever having touched a rugby ball

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

dex_sda posted:

my country is so poo poo I could probably play on the team after showing them how much I bench, without ever having touched a rugby ball

Congrats on your imminent international rugby career!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

dex_sda posted:

England?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

He could be the new Burgess, I saw he got carded in the first game of the season for Bath, wonder if he's going to go for a record.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Rugby is a great game because it's so complex and hard to tell what's going on that people who know gently caress all about the game can act like experts. Not aimed at anyone particular in this thread, just something I've noticed. Especially when I stand in front of That Guy in stadiums. This goes especially for journalists

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Ewar Woowar posted:

How does David Denton play for Scotland?

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
The only thing I have trouble with is understanding is when a turnover is valid or not. Probably because I can barely even see what's going on when it happens.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

Tyma posted:

How does David Denton play for Scotland?

His mum's Scottish, isn't it? I was always pleased by the grandparent rule when growing up, as it meant I could play for any of the home nations (except Scotland, although I figured I could call on residency for that one if need be).

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

fallingdownjoe posted:

His mum's Scottish, isn't it?

It?

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
The point I didn't make is that you can support anyone, as long as you commit to it ^^;

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

The "it" being the reason he can play for Scotland. I am bad at grammar.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Tyma posted:

The point I didn't make is that you can support anyone, as long as you commit to it ^^;

No, not for national teams you can't. You can't support the All Blacks 'because they're good' - they're a national side. You support the country you're from, and you're allowed to have secondary allegiances if you have familial connections to those other countries. But there's no way in hell someone from the US is allowed to support the All Blacks. Otherwise you're allowed to 'prefer' teams but you can't support them.
You *can* support the Crusaders 'because they're good'. It makes you a dick, but you can do it.

Woden
May 6, 2006

AtomD posted:

The only thing I have trouble with is understanding is when a turnover is valid or not. Probably because I can barely even see what's going on when it happens.

Scrums are pretty bad too for similar reasons.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

tentish klown posted:

No, not for national teams you can't. You can't support the All Blacks 'because they're good' - they're a national side. You support the country you're from, and you're allowed to have secondary allegiances if you have familial connections to those other countries. But there's no way in hell someone from the US is allowed to support the All Blacks. Otherwise you're allowed to 'prefer' teams but you can't support them.
You *can* support the Crusaders 'because they're good'. It makes you a dick, but you can do it.

Is this for real? Because you are more than welcome to support another side or multiple sides for whatever reason.

Heck support the All Blacks if you like them - it is a bit cliche to choose the number 1 ranked team in a given sport but you are allowed to.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

tentish klown posted:

What about if you wish to follow the Premier league but don't live in England, or the NBA or NFL but you don't live in the US? Can you choose a team to support, if so, how?, or must you simply follow the proceedings as a dispassionate observer?

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

The Daily Telegraph are reporting that Joubert ran off the pitch at the end of the match, because a large section of English crowd started pelting him with plastic bottles?

StraightFace
Feb 9, 2014

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Who's starting the campaign to rename the Six Nations the poo poo Nations? Somehow this weekend has made being back-to-back 6N winners something of a drag.

Hopefully France's performance means they put in a wage cap in their domestic game, which would do us all a favor really. Brian Moore hit the nail on the head when he said he didn't care how many European Cups Bastareaud had won because he's a shithouse centre who doesn't belong on a Test field.

Maybe the World Cup should be renamed to The Northern Hemisphere Benefit Tour.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Tyma posted:

The Daily Telegraph are reporting that Joubert ran off the pitch at the end of the match, because a large section of English crowd started pelting him with plastic bottles?

You can't throw a bottle mid pitch. He'd only be aware of that once he started to leave.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
Im finding it amazing that the fact Scotland butchered a line out with 2 mins to go under their own posts is getting barely any discussion.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Wandle Cax posted:

What about if you wish to follow the Premier league but don't live in England, or the NBA or NFL but you don't live in the US? Can you choose a team to support, if so, how?, or must you simply follow the proceedings as a dispassionate observer?

National teams. Not club teams. Pick whichever club you want to support - I'll judge you but I don't care that much if you support Man U, Barcelona, the Crusaders and Toulon. But when it comes to international competitions (and I mean where countries play each other, not things like the Champions League), no way.

ElectroMagneticJosh posted:

Is this for real? Because you are more than welcome to support another side or multiple sides for whatever reason.

Heck support the All Blacks if you like them - it is a bit cliche to choose the number 1 ranked team in a given sport but you are allowed to.

No, because they're the number 1 ranked *country*. They aren't a club. They represent New Zealand, so if you're not a Kiwi, get out.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Ewar Woowar posted:

If one's own country has an absolutely terrible national team, and one lacks the emotional fortitude to deal with it.

In my case, my support depends on who's playing, according to a complex hierarchy:

1. :911:USA:911:
2. Whoever's playing against Canada
3. Italy
4. Whoever's playing against England (gently caress England)
5. Whoever's playing against New Zealand (if they play well it will be a good match)
6. Never Australia
7. Wales
8. Any team that's clearly the underdog

Lucky for me, USA plays so few test matches per year, and they're difficult enough find on TV, that I only really have to deal with the pain of being a USA Rugby fan every four years.

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Oct 19, 2015

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys

Mister Chief posted:

You can't throw a bottle mid pitch. He'd only be aware of that once he started to leave.

Yeah, there's a video showing him racing off the pitch as soon as he blew the whistle, and I couldn't see anything being thrown at him at all. There was probably something thrown at him when he was going into the tunnel, but it didn't explain why he ran off like that.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Apollodorus posted:

If one's own country has an absolutely terrible national team, and one lacks the emotional fortitude to deal with it.

In my case, my support depends on who's playing, according to a complex hierarchy:

1. :911:USA:911:
2. Whoever's playing against Canada
3. Italy
4. Whoever's playing against England (gently caress England)
5. Whoever's playing against New Zealand (if they play well it will be a good match)
6. Never Australia
7. Wales
8. Any team that's clearly the underdog

Lucky for me, USA plays so few test matches per year, and they're difficult enough to watch, that I only really have to deal with the pain of being a USA Rugby fan every four years.

As an Australian I must admit this is a really good checklist.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

1: nz
2: whoever's playing aus
3: except SA...
4: the poor lovely teams that lose a lot so I can feel nice for a few seconds when they win

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Woden posted:

As an Australian I must admit this is a really good checklist.

As someone who grew up with Razzle Dazzle Rugby, I especially like the "never Australia" check.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

My country plays in division 1B. I would literally never get to see a team I have an emotional connection to if I didn't pick someone else.

As a retarded bro way into comparing my pecs with other bros, my support is based on how swole the hottest player on the team is (no homo). This is obviously the best metric

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Oct 19, 2015

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

tentish klown posted:

National teams. Not club teams. Pick whichever club you want to support - I'll judge you but I don't care that much if you support Man U, Barcelona, the Crusaders and Toulon. But when it comes to international competitions (and I mean where countries play each other, not things like the Champions League), no way.

No, because they're the number 1 ranked *country*. They aren't a club. They represent New Zealand, so if you're not a Kiwi, get out.

Look at this guy and how wrong he is. Support whoever you want for whatever reasons you want. If you are only supporting a team/country because they win all the time then I'd reckon you're a gloryhunter and might make fun of you but whatever, it's not up to me to decide.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
As an Englishman I theoretically support England, unless they've been particularly dickish recently or having them lose would be sufficiently hilarious. Then Scotland, because I am a masochist. Beyond that, I normally support the rugby. It makes the dire games even more dire to watch, but the ones where they do particularly pretty things (see ABs on Saturday, Fiji when they counterattack) or gritty things (A lot of the second tier teams this tournament, Japan obv, Namibia against the ABs) all the sweeter.

I currently own two rugby shirts, Wales and South Africa. I don't think there was ever a reason beyond "ooh look, a rugby shirt at 50% off". gently caress all this nationalistic bollocks.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

goatface posted:

gently caress all this nationalistic bollocks.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

goatface posted:

gently caress all this nationalistic bollocks.

That's kinda the point of national sports though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
1. Ireland

2. Whoever's playing England

3. Never England