Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

King Burgundy posted:

Am I the only one that sees Ecco praising someone for essentially the same post? I mean, his had more words than mine, but the gist was the same, no?

Or am I crazy?

Is this where the whole suspicion train on Ecco started? Cause I don't see how your scumtell post was the same as Fox's at all. I mean, I didn't really read it as fake or anything but it didn't have the same level of self-awareness that Fox showed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

King Burgundy posted:

rofl. You couldn't be more transparent in your attempts to misread my words and intention. Sorry you rolled scum. I know you like Keane and wouldn't have chosen this for yourself.

This is unusually aggressive from KB. I think the only other times I've seen him like this are when I was purposefully winding him up and I don't see Ecco's comments as inspiring that same level of vindictiveness..

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rarity posted:

This is unusually aggressive from KB. I think the only other times I've seen him like this are when I was purposefully winding him up and I don't see Ecco's comments as inspiring that same level of vindictiveness..

Extra thought, he's also reached the same level right at the start of D1 rather than in the few days it's taken me to piss him off. I'm just not seeing the emotion in that post as genuine at all.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

merk posted:

I think this is very wrong. I usually lead lynches as scum.

You also lead lynches as town, it's a null tell.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

EccoRaven posted:

time for another ecco breadcrumb (everyone should breadcrumb all the time)

TOM: S1PcK. Nap chuub. MFPY16. huK, XnB. k? Goef #Noz Latp. 12 12e. JM *EFh jrEqEPN. lf 14 .DOS .I(N).

taesKJp. YmSGzB lw.

this was entirely generated by hand, specifically, pen and paper.

Ecco did you pass out on your keyboard is everything ok? :ohdear:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

EccoRaven posted:

nah.

a breadcrumb is a clue or hint about your role left early in the game, so if you claim it on day 5 and point out the breadcrumb it gives your claim a little more weight.

they are generally hard to spot but for that same reason scum can (and I as scum often do) fake multiple breadcrumbs.

Lumpen is a mafia player. He was in this game but he replaced out.

I'm finding all the heat on Ecco for this cypher thing to be interesting. My take is that Ecco likes to experiment with the way mafia is played so this is the kind of thing I can see her testing just to see what would happen. I think that if we get an eventual claim out of her she also needs to post the cypher so we can see that it wasn't bullshit.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
This is why I generally don't worry about Rarity being a lurker. Sure sometimes she gets busy, but she always does a lot of flurry posting.

It sometimes has a whiplash type effect because the way she reads/posts and sometimes it irritates me (ljtrigirl does the same sort of thing) due to the effect, but it's not indicative of alignment.

Also happy 30th Rarity, one thing old people don't tell young people is that your 30s will be better than your 20s. :sun:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Opopanax posted:

Hey, some of us are just really scummy regardless of alignment

Maybe you should try to actually play mafia then :v:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

merk posted:

I voted you because your attempt to spark content went nowhere and you made no attempt to make it go anywhere but nowhere.

Disagree. If nothing else it's provoked a bunch of posts from KB that I don't think people have looked at enough and Ecco tried to develop that until the heat on her put her into defensive mode. I don't like how you're misrepresenting that whole chain of events.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

King Burgundy posted:

Wow, you are still doing it. You minimize anything I say and pretend other things are happening with every one of your posts. It was NOT just your use of the word perfect. I did NOT say I have no scumtells. I said I didn't know of any. Do you not understand how those are two different things? I'm pretty sure you DO understand that, and this is just your scum strategy. I then proceeded to mention the one thing I know I occasionally do differently as scum. None of the words you are ascribing to me are words I am saying. Here, let me show you what it looks like when someone says they have no scum tells:

Notice the difference?

Oh boy I really don't like this. KB's taking Ecco's quote about having no scumtells out of context. Just to remind everyone the full quote is this:

EccoRaven posted:

unfortunately I have no scumtells, so :(

but a way you can find out if I am scum is if I solidly defended by scumbuddies all game, since I am very anti-bussing. I recently have begun to do slight, very light bussing to play with my meta, but I would never shoot my team in the foot so badly as to Actually Bus them, even if it'd be "sooo not my meta!!", because that'd be a good way to lose the game.

here is an example of a recent scum game. You can also tell I stayed back and didn't make as many cases as I normally would; though that's not a perfect tell since I often get in people's grills regardless of alignment, if I'm hanging back it's because I'm struggling to engage with the game, which happens way more often as scum than town.

here is a game exemplifying the hanging back-ness.

And yes, I realise that KB is not explicitly using that quote to claim that Ecco is scum but what he is doing is trying to paint Ecco in a way that looks far more thoughtless and hypocritical than she was actually being.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

bowmore posted:

I kind of agree with Burgundy

It might just be my distrust of KB but I don't like this.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

TMMadman posted:

And I just don't know how she gets to that conclusion because it seems forced and deliberately misleading. I felt KB was being honest with his original answer. I've played with KB when he was town and scum and he really does try to play the same way regardless of his alignment. I've called him scum when he's town and I've called him town when he's scum. I don't read his original answer as saying "I'm perfect a player", I read it as him saying "I try to stay consistent with my actions regardless of my alignment" and combined with Asiina making a very valid point that KBs cases are better when he's town, it just reads like Ecco is trying to push a bad case.

Can you explain how KB's plan of 'playing the same way as scum as when town' is any different to what everybody does? All KB's doing is saying 'yeah I try to play mafia'

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

TheNabster posted:

Could have sworn there are more people in this thread then Ecco and people pointing fingers at Ecco, where's everyone else at?

A D1 lurker call out? :monocle:

You know, if you're not feeling all the discussion about Ecco you could have just talked about something else instead of making this post.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Rarity posted:

You also lead lynches as town, it's a null tell.

Right, it's why I commented on the post. It is so wrong that it's concerning.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

TMMadman posted:

But I'm not really focused on your meta. My main issue with you is that you keep pushing a BK case that I think is garbage. And when combined you calling someone town based from what amounts to a single post is just too much for me right now. It just feels suspicious and scummy. However, I will ##unvote for now though because it's double plurality and we should be looking at more than just one or two people, but I'd still be willing to vote for you.

I think merk is being above the board right now and I'm leaning town for him. I like his post about his scum tells here:

I'm surprised you didn't call him out for saying that he also plays a 'Perfect game' like KB because it has the same idea behind it. The reason I like this is because even though I've only been scum a couple times, I've kind of done the same thing but in reverse. For example, in my first scum game (your Pearl game) I was called out early in the game for prodding lurkers. And then in one of my next games (your Charnel game), I was town and I deliberately prodded lurkers early in the game in order to make lurker prodding a null tell for me. I really should have pushed BK harder in that game because he voted for me on pure meta reasons and I knew that my pushing lurkers would draw an easy scum vote.

Speaking of lurkers, I'd like to see some of them post more, specifically FoxTerrier because I'm not trusting your judgement on him yet. I noticed Verr has posted a bit while writing this post, but I'm not liking it so far because it lacks opinions or substance. Plus, we are way past joke phase at this point, so this post is pretty suspect:

Especially when combined with the fact that he volunteered to fight a few posts earlier.

I feel like TM is approaching the game from a town perspective, even though I don't really agree with his reads. His thoughts have an openness to them of a player that's just starting to really understand mafia and it reads like that awareness is coming through without being distorted through a scum filter.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

FoxTerrier posted:

—I have no idea what the drama between Merk and Guisseppe is but I strongly suspect it's dumb.

I'm just glad that D1 hasn't turned into a non-stop slapfight between the two of them like the last one I played with them (Pearl?)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Verr posted:

here's what people have said about fighting:

TMMadman: "no issue fighting" "good addition" wants to fight in defensive emplacement "pretty good at combat"
Mithross: "raged debuff" "decent at combat"
King Burgandy: "Useful outside of combat" "ranged" if we have to send him in
CCKeane: "can give item to turn scum into survivor"
"Guissuipadsiuop puidfdsaf: your name sucks "good at beating people up"
Merk: "melee dude"
the Nabster: "brutal debuffs" asked to be backline
Capitalist Pig: "useful at combat, but not frontline fighter"
Opoponax: "decent debuffs" "probably better in combat that out"
Asiina: "not greatest at combat" "i'll go if I have to"
Fox Terrier: "party dude"

and I'm a backline buffer guy.

alright, so I figure excepting one or two scum who have in-combat abilities, most of them will want to stay out of the battle. so folks are putting up a token effort but are avoiding fights. if this reads then King Burgandy and Asiina are my two picks.

i'll ##vote Asiina for now to help avoid "hammering" or whatever. lemme know if i missed anyone's combat chat.

everyone else who hasn't talked about your abilities, SPEAK UP

I like this post, Verr's approaching the game from a different direction and I like the direction he's coming from.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

CapitalistPig posted:

What is even going on why is everyone so serious.

Ecco is scum btw.

##vote ecco

Ughhhh

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Verr posted:

that's fair, but i'm definitely making that vote based on posting. and rolefishy is definitely what i was going for. we need to know who to send into the fight. right?

Rolefishing is bad because it leads to town outting PRs for no reason. You just need to look at Mad Max where a bunch of newbies outted their doctor cause of good intentioned role fishing (the doctor was me and I was SO MAD that game)

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Rarity posted:

Amusingly, I did think to myself that the way Ecco was playing was reminiscent of your scum game. It's the same thing I've seen you do as scum several times.

It does not surprise me to have you come into the thread and defend it.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
rarity my hero *swoon*

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

Ecco I'm not interested in conversing with scum ~_~

This is a really bad anti-town attitude. For starters, unless you're scum you don't know if Ecco's scum or not so being unwilling to converse leads to being close minded which leads to town making mislynches. Further, even if Ecco was scum conversing with her would produce more content that could later be used to to link to her scum buddies.

Of course, you're a good enough player to know all this so my question becomes why are you trying to cut down on discussion?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

merk posted:

Nope. Playing mostly on a phone this weekend.

Just as a heads up to people, I've seen merk pretend to be phone posting in previous games where he's scum as a way to avoid posting.

mer, you got a pic of baseball tickets for me? :unsmigghh:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

TMMadman posted:

And imgay just posted Verrs list in the other thread.

That's not really a big deal. Anyone from Pee-Dumb's thread could have gone through this one and made the exact same list. This is not exactly secret information.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

FoxTerrier posted:

Out of curiosity can anyone that knows metas confirm whether or not this is true?

I can confirm that Hiipfire is terrible, yes.

He's starting to get better though :3:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

Thanks rest of thread for not saying anything at all during this, so loving glad

This is my favourite thing you have ever said :allears:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

EccoRaven posted:

Diqnol I am sensing a lot of "damned if you do/damned if you don't" from you. the impression seems to be that it doesn't matter if I'm actually scum or not, just that I need to be punished for making a cipher. I need to die because the scum would kill me anyway (but I'm actually scum anyway so the scum wouldn't kill me).

A lot of language there too about me potentially being "a townie hurting the town," which also reads less like you actually think I'm scum and more like you want an out for when I flip town. "It was ecco's fault," you'd say, "the cipher post made them a liability."

This post is a good summary of the diqnol/Ecco slapfight. Diqnol looks like he wants to lynch Ecco without caring about Ecco's alignment, that's just scummy as gently caress.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Beetphyxious posted:

sorta like capitalist pig: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3747218&userid=86785 he threw out a 'me too!' vote which really isn't anything on ecco after talking about his combat prowess and that's about it. your point is apt here, unless he starts making cases (now that he's been called on it)

Ecco is scum though because shes scum. It has nothing to do with merks case or kbs weirdness.

I just know ecco is scum.

FoxTerrier posted:

2) CPig needs to come in and justify his vote and post more

Nah

TheNabster posted:

Also ##vote GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE

Why?
( I know ironicat whatever)

no u

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Rarity posted:

Extra thought, he's also reached the same level right at the start of D1 rather than in the few days it's taken me to piss him off. I'm just not seeing the emotion in that post as genuine at all.

BTW my own extra thought on this is that my interactions with you have trained me to be vigilant for this kind of scum play. But fwiw you are attributing a level of emotion to my posts that isn't there. I am aggressively hunting scum but I haven't gotten emotional or flown off the handle. :shrug:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Asiina posted:

I didn't even know Rarity was in this game.

Rude.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

TMMadman posted:

I don't know, if I was scum, posting about battle stuff seems like a pretty easy out because it's not actually making judgement calls on people while still looking like you want to help.

Verr said he's not a regular mafia player like the rest of us and a newbie to SA mafia. I've seen newbie players do all sorts of irregular methods of scum hunting that have got them in trouble even when it was super obvious they were town (Section 31's list of null tells, Lowell's voting non-analysis).

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

bowmore posted:

If I was to think about it I would just assume it's because the game doesn't take a 24 hour format that you are used to

bowmore who do you think is scum?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ok I gotta go to the doctor now, I'll finish up when I get back.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rarity posted:

Can you explain how KB's plan of 'playing the same way as scum as when town' is any different to what everybody does? All KB's doing is saying 'yeah I try to play mafia'

I just read KBs post in the same tone as Fox. To me, he's not saying that he doesn't have scum tells, he's just saying that he does his best to try and play the same game regardless of his alignment so other people are better judges of his scum tells. He goes on to say that he usually won't bus a scumbuddy with a powerful role but that he does bus his teammates.

I think it's a pretty fair assessment of his game as I have played games with him when he's been town and scum. Overall, I think KB is a pretty good player on both sides.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I fell back asleep reading ur posts and was almost late for work 3_3

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

I'm sending ecco into battle so don't vote ecco.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Wth keane :/

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

CCKeane posted:

I'm sending ecco into battle so don't vote ecco.

no this is bad

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

EccoRaven posted:

hey Verr do you have any actual opinions about the game? Because I agree with you to an extent - looking at the battle information is somewhat important - but if you do it in lieu of trying to hunt for scum, that's bad.

mostly hoping to persuade CCKeane to give us some input on the battle choices. my plan doesn't work without anarchist king following through. and I have been trying to hunt, my vote on Asiina is a scum-hunt guess, but its just not based on big old effort posts.

Rarity posted:

Rolefishing is bad because it leads to town outting PRs for no reason. You just need to look at Mad Max where a bunch of newbies outted their doctor cause of good intentioned role fishing (the doctor was me and I was SO MAD that game)

but we're not just racing the days right? we're hoping to find most of the scum with an intact army and hope we can battle down the Trojans/their scum team wins. i'd agree in a normal game, but rolefishing might be a risk worth taking in a weird format.

Beetphyxious posted:

i've not played a soldiers game before, so this could be a v.dumb question: do the numbers get flipped to the kings or us or whatever or is it all resolved behind the scenes?

if it's the former, ignore the next sentence. if it's the latter how can we catch anyone out, like you're saying, without knowing what the trojans fielded?

i'm desperately hoping the later. the OP mafia thread is a little unclear. at the very least we should get the list of names for competition.

for example, let's say we're sketched out on GP. we say diqnol, what are your stats, you best be telling the truth 'cause we're going to stick you in the front line supported by x, y, and z. we can have a rough idea of what our numbers are, and how the combat should play out on our end. once we see who the trojans sent, we cross reference that with their thread, and get a rough approximation of how we should have done.

its not bullet proof, but make more sense to me than playing word games with practiced liars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

We aren't allowed to discuss battle specifics by rule to avoid that approach fyi

• Locked thread