Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

pftc posted:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ According to them it's not even a game.

https://archive.is/4BNeA

With support with his old friends Ryan Church, the staff of Turbulent and a half dozen others Chris Roberts single handedly made gaming history with the stunning S42 trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
Spore 2 is coming along fine.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

ShredsYouSay posted:

Isn't it just simple vector addition for position and some godawful quarter onion moon maths for the rotation, which is apparently easy for the computer to do?

People in this thread say it's apparently an easy thing to do but I have yet to see a game that does it so who loving knows.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

pftc posted:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ According to them it's not even a game.

https://archive.is/4BNeA

Bullshit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCGzNeGbwRw

Skip to 20 seconds in, he clearly had a flyable hornet back at the time of the original kickstarter.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Black Pants posted:

How's that No Man's Sky game going?

Rumors of something happening on the 27th.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

pftc posted:

Remember.

Nobody at CIG is lying to you. Probably.

https://archive.is/bBXzt

look at this post. just look at it.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

kikkelivelho posted:

People in this thread say it's apparently an easy thing to do but I have yet to see a game that does it so who loving knows.

Actually... Maybe it is - if they use the ship as the point of reference and have the universe move, not the ship itself, the ship would remain stationary to walk around while the universe spazzes out on your end.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

kikkelivelho posted:

People in this thread are all amazing armchair programmers, so I don't know why you would ever question their collective wisdom!!!!

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

"Current assets are good starting points, but even we don't yet know what the final budget for those will be. "
https://archive.is/z0lTV

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Variable 5 posted:

Rumors of something happening on the 27th.

hope they're adding "fun" to the game

oh wow i scanned something

whoopty do

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

I mean, the main problem with elevators is because both you and it are in world space, and you run up against the discrete/ continuous collision problem. If you had elevator space, maybe fewer problems?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

pftc posted:

Remember.

I'm sure people were just like "Thanks Lando, TAKE THAT HATERS!!!!" in the follow on posts too.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

pftc posted:

Remember.

The only person who is better than Jared at endlessly talking about nothing is Chris Roberts.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
the fact their demos all take place in their high res ubergraphics world is p unsettling. I still have no clue how they expect to get that one ship in game that can hold like 20 people and not have it just floating in space with nothing to fight due to networking limitations. I know you try to handle a lot of graphics clientside but they seem to have a "show first, work second" model

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
if youre in a giant spac ship thats spinning at like 5 rps you should be plastered to the outside wall and not able to run around freely because angular momentum is a thing

BluestreakBTHR
Oct 2, 2015

Fucking Star Citizen True Believers are passive-aggressive douchebags. Sorry if I have the ability to use my critical thinking skills. I didn't drink the Kool-Aid, motherfuckers.

That's me trying way too hard to fit in here. Please accept me, I need validation. I'm very depressed.
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The only person who is better than Jared at endlessly talking about nothing is Chris Roberts.

Did they go to school to learn that trade, or did they both gain that skill while handling trash?

-edit-
Whichever of you assholes bought me an av... I'll buy you a beer if you're in the Boston area.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Nicholas posted:

if youre in a giant spac ship thats spinning at like 5 rps you should be plastered to the outside wall and not able to run around freely because angular momentum is a thing

its a video game

er,

it's going to be a game

uh

its alpha

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

pftc posted:

Remember.

Three paragraphs to say "sometimes we change our minds."

How does anyone have faith in this?

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
lol nice av bluestreak

being mocked by star citizens is a badge of honor

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Nicholas posted:

All ships come with gravitational stabilisers. It's year 3000 or something.

BluestreakBTHR
Oct 2, 2015

Fucking Star Citizen True Believers are passive-aggressive douchebags. Sorry if I have the ability to use my critical thinking skills. I didn't drink the Kool-Aid, motherfuckers.

That's me trying way too hard to fit in here. Please accept me, I need validation. I'm very depressed.
Grimey Drawer

Madcosby posted:

lol nice av bluestreak

Being banned from the RSI forums, and blocked by Randy Pitchford on Twitter are badges of honor.
Being mocked by Star Citizen True Believers is a way of life.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Nope it is

Jared->Ben->Chris->Jared

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

Madcosby posted:

the fact their demos all take place in their high res ubergraphics world is p unsettling. I still have no clue how they expect to get that one ship in game that can hold like 20 people and not have it just floating in space with nothing to fight due to networking limitations. I know you try to handle a lot of graphics clientside but they seem to have a "show first, work second" model

"show first, work second" pretty much sums up SC in totality imo

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
a person in space would die there is no oxygen in space

star citizen is a scam

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
It's supposed to be that you don't get the information for every person, only every ship plus the people inside the ship you're in. So if there's 10 ships with 20 people each, you only have to transfer 30 (10+20 in the ship with you) units of position/etc data to 200 people, instead of 210 (10 ships + 200 people total) units of position/etc data to 200. 600 vs 4200.

But if you have one ship with 20 people and 9 hornets, most people are only getting 11 units of data (themselves, plus 10 ships) while the people in the big ship are getting 30 (20 people + 10 ships) each.

Which is going to be funny when a bunch of people EVA at once. Because they won't cull EVAs for the people who don't need it in the first iteration I'm sure.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 19, 2015

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You're correct.
"My dream is to make Star Citizen a 100% community funded game, with the investor money being only for contingency. "
https://archive.is/S1sez

Only registered members can see post attachments!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Madcosby posted:

lol nice av bluestreak

agreed

you are now a fully fledged goon

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Stanko-Prussian posted:

"show first, work second" pretty much sums up SC in totality imo

show first work never

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i will never for the life of me understand why someone pays $10 to change someone's avatar and won't even come up with a sick burn

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Nicholas posted:

well you see there is artificial gravity except it magically doesn't work at all when you're strapped in to the cockpit actually piloting the ship because then you can black out, and furthermore

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

Eonwe posted:

i will never for the life of me understand why someone pays $10 to change someone's avatar and won't even come up with a sick burn

<----

congrats whoever this was you paid tenbux to make me go "huh." for like half a second

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
I hope to one day be deemed worthy of getting burned via av

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ledenko posted:

I hope to one day be deemed worthy of getting burned via av

you are worthy already, you just have to shitpost harder

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

ShredsYouSay posted:

I mean, the main problem with elevators is because both you and it are in world space, and you run up against the discrete/ continuous collision problem. If you had elevator space, maybe fewer problems?

There are indeed games that do it that way, mainly to allow for interactions in the elevator while the rest of the world can't be seen. Basically, you keep the elevator still and have stuff work normally there, while you turn off all logic (physics, collision detection, crushing damage detection etc) for the rest of the world and just translate al of the world up and down.

It doesn't quite work for multiplayer though…

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

Paladinus posted:

But the real question is will baby PU be bigger than Ben Lesnick?

It may be IN Ben Lesnick.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

Tippis posted:

There are indeed games that do it that way, mainly to allow for interactions in the elevator while the rest of the world can't be seen. Basically, you keep the elevator still and have stuff work normally there, while you turn off all logic (physics, collision detection, crushing damage detection etc) for the rest of the world and just translate al of the world up and down.

It doesn't quite work for multiplayer though…

No, I guess that's why they made bounce pads in ut and quake 3. Or they were just fun.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Amun Khonsu posted:

It may be IN Ben Lesnick.

I heard he agreed to be measured so they can get their planetary gravity algorithm to be absolutely perfect.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
Question. When you get to be that massive where do you find shirts and stuff that will fit? Do they have to be custom ordered to the shapes of the their ummm additions?

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

Szcwczuk posted:

Question. When you get to be that massive where do you find shirts and stuff that will fit? Do they have to be custom ordered to the shapes of the their ummm additions?

Walmart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
Can a standard office chair support such a man? What is the upper limit of those little gas cylinders?

• Locked thread