Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

So I can make a militarist, fanatically xenophobic human dictatorship. Good... very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
My Fanatic Xenophile empire

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Come on how is it not gonna be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScHOVAo6tQ0

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

So I can get bonuses to slavery?

Space-Rome here i come!

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rakthar posted:

From the 4x games I've played, Sword of the Stars 1 is the game that most closely models an interesting tactical combat game with a simplified empire side of things. It's very similar gameplay wise to Total War games in that the tactical combat is the focus, but it differs in that you can make meaningful choices on the strategic side that impact the combat.

I'm basically hoping for this game to be Sword of the Stars 1 but with planetary details instead of mere solar, deepened racial and ethnic constructs, good empire management and actual, factual politics.

You can even skip the combat that lasts for millions of turns due to deployment limitations and 10 minute combat.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

vyelkin posted:

I want a space game that is basically 90% ship design. Rule The Waves in space. All you do is design ships and smash them against alien ships. No politics, no colonization, no economy, no planet management. That can all happen in the background as your race expands but you are the grand admiral and it's your job to keep humanity safe against the Bug Menace by designing the biggest baddest ships that just so happen to be built by your nephew's shipyard even though your nephew doesn't know how to connect a warp drive to an engineering section or w/e.

Have you tried Distant Worlds with everything but ship design and military campaigns under AI control? That seems to be a playstyle it supports but I like interstellar politics too much to try it that way myself.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Empress Theonora posted:

q. what kind of support will stellaris provide for F U L L C O M M U N I S M

Pretty sure you can go full commie in space. I only play space-nazis though so I haven't really checked :shrug:

RabidWeasel posted:

The reason that they traditionally suck is that they come at it way too hard from a simulationist perspective, where really all you need is ways to make interesting decisions about their capabilities in combat. I always liked the designer from SMAC since it was literally just choosing your attack/defense/movement and a couple of special abilities for each unit, I don't see why anything substantially more complex than that is needed for a game with automated combat.

You gotta wait for the ship design DD, but I think you will be fairly happy.

vyelkin posted:

I want a space game that is basically 90% ship design. Rule The Waves in space. All you do is design ships and smash them against alien ships. No politics, no colonization, no economy, no planet management. That can all happen in the background as your race expands but you are the grand admiral and it's your job to keep humanity safe against the Bug Menace by designing the biggest baddest ships that just so happen to be built by your nephew's shipyard even though your nephew doesn't know how to connect a warp drive to an engineering section or w/e.

Well that's not Stellaris, but I would also play the poo poo out of that game.

Pharnakes posted:

NWS RTW is the only ship design screen I have ever been really comfortable with, even though it looks like it was from 1995. Adapt it a little for space combat (but not too much because WW1 in space would be more interesting than WW2) and slap on some fancy GUI and call it a day. Actually after that ring up the NWS guys and hire them to make a naval/air game spanning the whole 20th century.

I would love if we did. RTW is great and I have been trying to interest people around the office. So far our ex DLC-Empress and now Cities Skylines producer has bought it and is cursing me for her lost productivity - she is a huge navy sperg. Other than that, the HoI4 AI programmer seemed pretty interested but hasn't bought it yet as far as I know.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

vyelkin posted:

Grog space game with ships designed to minute details?

You mean

Aurora?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i wonder how viable it is to basically be a giant space hippie commune.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
The only time in a game where I unironically enjoyed finding the perfect way to jam more guns and bits inside a chassis was Mechwarrior 2, and that's mostly because the premade mechs were so bad that you had a huge incentive to start tinkering with them.

Darkrenown posted:

Pretty sure you can go full commie in space. I only play space-nazis though so I haven't really checked :shrug:
Being 100% serious here I will be a little sad if there isn't some exploration of post/noncapitalist social organisation in the game. Due to obvious parallels with European history these kinds of games tend to trend towards having you form awful, militarised space empires that enrich themselves from the material wealth of the colonies. The selection of some of the ethos traits has me very optimistic that a pacifistic / non-explotative playstyle may be possible. It would be neat if I could get a "you win" screen in this type of game without thinking that I probably made the universe a pretty lovely place for a lot of people (again SMAC was the best ever for this, even if it was hard to be 100% peaceful you could definitely play with an aim towards being more or less objectively good for the future of humanity, and without having to do anything awful)

Darkrenown posted:

You gotta wait for the ship design DD, but I think you will be fairly happy.
:getin:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Man. Militaristic, xenophobic individualists sounds like the perfect Starship Troopers game.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
I too find building sea defences and flooding the planet a la SMAC to be objectively good.

I mean, I didn't melt the Ice Caps, I was just prepared.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Gamerofthegame posted:

Grog space game with ships designed to minute details?

You mean

Aurora?

Take Aurora's ship design, stick a RTWesqe campaign onto it, and make the battlefield 3D (hardest part). Done!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

RabidWeasel posted:

The only time in a game where I unironically enjoyed finding the perfect way to jam more guns and bits inside a chassis was Mechwarrior 2, and that's mostly because the premade mechs were so bad that you had a huge incentive to start tinkering with them.

I love how the design system in mechwarrior worked, where the more stuff you crammed in there the more things there were that could catastrophically explode.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I imagine it is possible to change your empire's ethics over the course of a game? I prefer a gradual evolution towards xenophobic despotism myself.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Randarkman posted:

I imagine it is possible to change your empire's ethics over the course of a game? I prefer a gradual evolution towards xenophobic despotism myself.
The wording seemed a little weird in the DD, but I think the idea is you define the ethics at the start, that gets stamped onto your home planet POPs, and for the rest of the game your Ethos scales are some amalgamation of POP leanings.

e. Or rereading, I suspect faction driven, which is fueled by POP leanings.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 19, 2015

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Anything about empire names yet? Seems to be be that they are defined when you create a species. But could this also be dynamic, say based on home planet/system, dominant species and government type? At the very least it should be possible to customize for a player controlled empire, though that might be a DLC.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 19, 2015

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Westminster System posted:

I too find building sea defences and flooding the planet a la SMAC to be objectively good.

I mean, I didn't melt the Ice Caps, I was just prepared.

gently caress you, Morgan :argh:

- Deirdre

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Xenophobic warp lane users should get an election/faction/whatever-type-might-be-applicable event to demand that walls be built around their solar systems.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I've never heard of Rule the Waves before, is it any good? It seems like a cool concept

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Farecoal posted:

I've never heard of Rule the Waves before, is it any good? It seems like a cool concept

It is a lot of fun, yes.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Stellaris looking good, can't wait for some meatier DDs.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Farecoal posted:

It's very good.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

vyelkin posted:

Nah, afaik GSB doesn't have any kind of campaign. I want a real campaign where battles matter and have lasting impacts like in RTW as your empire expands and fights other empires, but without all the tedious colonization and micromanagement of 99% of space 4Xs.

One of GSB 1's DLCs adds in a campaign, for what it's worth. It's pretty barebones and your enemy essentially consists of "everyone who isn't you" without more in the way of diplomacy or even differentiation, but that's the point, isn't it?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

RabidWeasel posted:

(again SMAC was the best ever for this, even if it was hard to be 100% peaceful you could definitely play with an aim towards being more or less objectively good for the future of humanity, and without having to do anything awful)

All the factions in Alpha Centauri were ruled by horrible ideologues that went way too far and that was the point.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

The Sharmat posted:

All the factions in Alpha Centauri were ruled by horrible ideologues that went way too far and that was the point.

It made it a lot easier to distinguish them, since they didn't have, say, historical context that you could use to do so. SMAC had to be over-the-top to combat the featurelessness that happens to fantasy settings.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Dibujante posted:

It made it a lot easier to distinguish them, since they didn't have, say, historical context that you could use to do so. SMAC had to be over-the-top to combat the featurelessness that happens to fantasy settings.

Well yeah but the point is that even the most benevolent ending in SMAC involved lots of messed up poo poo for crazy fanatics

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

StashAugustine posted:

Well yeah but the point is that even the most benevolent ending in SMAC involved lots of messed up poo poo for crazy fanatics

Lal was OK, if ineffectual.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I can't recommend SOTS 1 enough for people that actually want good, combat oriented ship design. Just don't touch the sequel.

Dibujante posted:

Well, crappy fantasy settings. Which videogame settings tend to be. The crazy ideologies was kind of part of the appeal for me though

Tomn posted:

Lal was OK, if ineffectual.

He tended to go full world police in game and did some really shady stuff with cloning in the backstory. I think it says a lot about the other less obviously "evil" factions (so anyone that's not the Believers or the Human Hive)that the Peacekeepers tend to look like the best of the lot.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

The Sharmat posted:

I can't recommend SOTS 1 enough for people that actually want good, combat oriented ship design. Just don't touch the sequel.

Well, crappy fantasy settings. Which videogame settings tend to be. The crazy ideologies was kind of part of the appeal for me though

He tended to go full world police in game and did some really shady stuff with cloning in the backstory. I think it says a lot about the other less obviously "evil" factions (so anyone that's not the Believers or the Human Hive)that the Peacekeepers tend to look like the best of the lot.

Commissioner Pravin Lal posted:

The Warrior’s bland acronym, MMI, obscures the true horror of this monstrosity. Its inventors promise a new era of genius, but meanwhile unscrupulous power brokers use its forcible installation to violate the sanctity of unwilling human minds. They are creating their own private army of demons.
--“Report on Human Rights”

Later:

I think, and my thoughts cross the barrier into the synapses of the machine - just as the good doctor intended. But what I cannot shake, and what hints at things to come, is that thoughts cross back. In my dreams the sensibility of the machine invades the periphery of my consciousness. Dark. Rigid. Cold. Alien. Evolution is at work here, but just what is evolving remains to be seen.
--"Man and Machine"

:gonk:

EDIT: Also--

I loved my chosen. How then to face the day when she left me?

So I took from her body a single cell, perhaps to love her again.--“Time of Bereavement”

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Oct 20, 2015

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Farecoal posted:

What is your reaction to this image?

That's pretty much the answer to whether you'll like the game, I think.

(The thread is here.)

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

PleasingFungus posted:

What is your reaction to this image?

That's pretty much the answer to whether you'll like the game, I think.

(The thread is here.)

Would not buy, would read/participate in Lets Play of.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Wow, that settings window has a lot of options. What does the actual game look like?

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Mantis42 posted:

Wow, that settings window has a lot of options. What does the actual game look like?

That pretty much is the game.

Mostly.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Mantis42 posted:

Hahahahahahaheurgh.

YoSaff
Feb 13, 2012

Everything is fine.
Supreme Ruler: Cold War. Worth three dollars?

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

YoSaff posted:

No. I don't think any supreme ruler games are worth even spending the time to play.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

YoSaff posted:

If you'd enjoy a game that is somehow worse than the unfinished alpha of East vs. West that got leaked, yes.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

The Sharmat posted:

They all struck me as dumb caricatures, honestly, but then i'm not as infatuated with the writing as other people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

World War 1 is a really hosed up thing.