Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Bizarro Buddha posted:

The Locator, this is your fault.

Sweet. Congratulations on getting one of the last ones too. Midwest has apparently dropped their entire boat line, so the ones that are out on the market right now, are all there will be unless someone else purchases the line form Midwest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Buddha
Feb 11, 2007
Really? That makes me think I should pick up one of the Peterboro Canoe kits they had in the hobby shop I went to as my second kit, before they're all gone.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

:stare:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Bizarro Buddha posted:

Really? That makes me think I should pick up one of the Peterboro Canoe kits they had in the hobby shop I went to as my second kit, before they're all gone.

Most of the online suppliers that I am aware of (including those on Amazon) have doubled, or more their prices since this happened, so yes, if you have a local source for the canoe kit and think you may want it in the future, I'd recommend grabbing it.

Examples:
I purchased the Indian Girl Canoe kit for $25 on sale. The list price is $40. It is currently listed on Amazon for $68.99 and at another online hobby retailer for $69.95.
I purchased the Dinghy kit for $18. The list price is $25, and it is currently listed for $49.95 at a hobby store online that has it in stock.

Reference point on the Petersboro Canoe kit - Full retail on it is $45 and Hobbylinc (where I got both of my Midwest kits) used to sell it for $33.37 without any special sales (they are out of stock).

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
I recently picked up a Gundam model, one of the kinds that is all colored plastic so once assembled it's already the correct color scheme. However, I'd like to touch it up for some details. I've never used one before, but I'm aware that Gundam pens exist. Should I just grab a black pen and do the recesses? I assume that's sufficient for a cartoony look.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

I recently picked up a Gundam model, one of the kinds that is all colored plastic so once assembled it's already the correct color scheme. However, I'd like to touch it up for some details. I've never used one before, but I'm aware that Gundam pens exist. Should I just grab a black pen and do the recesses? I assume that's sufficient for a cartoony look.

Use a .2mm black micron pen if you have that, no need to buy a Gundam pen specifically for panel lining, but yes, it's worth doing. This is a pretty good idea of what you can do with minimal panel lining and a matte topcoat: http://www.hobbylink.tv/paintless-gunpla-for-busy-people

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Use a .2mm black micron pen if you have that, no need to buy a Gundam pen specifically for panel lining, but yes, it's worth doing. This is a pretty good idea of what you can do with minimal panel lining and a matte topcoat: http://www.hobbylink.tv/paintless-gunpla-for-busy-people

Thanks, this article is basically perfect for what I'm trying to do. Luckily I have matte sealant and a .2 black micron in my art supplies already, so I can start prepping for assembly without an extra trip to the store. Yay, toy robots!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
If you find a .2 micron to be too large (like I did) and want something smaller that is available more widely than the Copic Modeler, you can use a Copic Multiliner .03

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Video made of a scratch build of the HMS Cumberland that was recently completed by a poster on Model Ship World. I'm coming to the conclusion that all ship builders from the former Eastern Bloc countries and Russia are not only master artisans, but also at least a little bit crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybkhEDTRb3k

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

Thanks, this article is basically perfect for what I'm trying to do. Luckily I have matte sealant and a .2 black micron in my art supplies already, so I can start prepping for assembly without an extra trip to the store. Yay, toy robots!

If you have more questions specifically regarding model robot kits, we have a Gunpla thread dedicated to them over here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3678195

Any advice given in this thread is still applicable so don't be afraid to ask general modeling questions here, either!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

Kibner posted:

If you have more questions specifically regarding model robot kits, we have a Gunpla thread dedicated to them over here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3678195

Any advice given in this thread is still applicable so don't be afraid to ask general modeling questions here, either!

Thanks, that will be a good resource. After all, I didn't even know the term Gunpla until just now, so I've got some reading to so.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Is this a photo of moments after someone broke a tiny part, and jumped out the window?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

The Locator posted:

Is this a photo of moments after someone broke a tiny part, and jumped out the window?

Almost. click it

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Pierzak posted:

Almost. click it

:catdrugs:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Pierzak posted:

Almost. click it

fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Pierzak posted:

Almost. click it

:psyduck:

HOW

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Gasped audibly.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pierzak posted:

Almost. click it

:chanpop:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Pierzak posted:

Almost. click it

God drat. Totally got me, excellent work.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I have no words.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
That's so awesome!

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Haha, that's amazing.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum
Arrggh. Curse you Gundam... I now want more bits to add to this thing (having had to build early as away all next month, when photos will appear) More Mods, more more more :D

Have to confess I now think that with the colour result of merging several kits I won't bother painting, it just looks, well, right.

Also, that room, sheer Genius.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I'm considering myself a newbie to normal scale modeling, having crossed over from Gundam models. I'm working on the Lindberg 1/48 MiG-31, and having a devil of a time getting the top and bottom halves of the fuselage to fit. I've given up on the locator pins and will be filing them off. Still, it seems like if I just line them up properly, I'm going to be dealing with major steps in visible areas.

Am I doomed to hit it with 200-grit to shape and then clean up and rescribe? Or is there any modeling wisdom I should be going with?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
In that case you pretty much have to fill it with putty and sand it down.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

MJP posted:

I'm considering myself a newbie to normal scale modeling, having crossed over from Gundam models. I'm working on the Lindberg 1/48 MiG-31, and having a devil of a time getting the top and bottom halves of the fuselage to fit. I've given up on the locator pins and will be filing them off. Still, it seems like if I just line them up properly, I'm going to be dealing with major steps in visible areas.

Am I doomed to hit it with 200-grit to shape and then clean up and rescribe? Or is there any modeling wisdom I should be going with?

I think the modelling wisdom you want is 'google a kit before you buy it', because that looks like a poo poo one you've got there. Sorry.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Oh yeah, that too. I saw a Lindberg SdKfz222 (at least I think that's what it was trying to be) and it was the most miserable looking lump of plastic I've ever seen. All the figures were holding binoculars to their faces, I guess so they had to model less detail. What's worse is that a proper Tamiya 222 would have cost about the same.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Unkempt posted:

I think the modelling wisdom you want is 'google a kit before you buy it', because that looks like a poo poo one you've got there. Sorry.

Yeah, I got a bulk deal, it was $15 with a Revell MiG-25. AFAIK there is no MiG-31 out there in 1/48 save for one coming down the line from AMK, which looks so detailed to the point where it's utterly wasted on a newbie such as me.

1/72, ho!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

MJP posted:

I just checked on Scalemates and they say its a new kit. That said, it sounds like you will be fillin' some gaps.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Instead of the spare part they told me they'd send, Airfix sent me an empty envelope.

I think I'm gonna go get another thing to build while I wait for them to figure out how to sort out whatever's happened. Having this half-built thing sitting there is just depressing.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's honestly pretty hilarious. I can't but help imagine that "Jim down the spare parts department" has somehow managed to accidentally glue your spare part to the back of his sleeve or something.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Arquinsiel posted:

That's honestly pretty hilarious. I can't but help imagine that "Jim down the spare parts department" has somehow managed to accidentally glue your spare part to the back of his sleeve or something.

I can see how it's funny, yes. My wife says that my increasingly disappointed face as I tried to thoroughly search an envelope was pretty funny too. "Like putting an empty food bowl down for a dog" is how she described it through the laughter.

If they don't sort it out, I'm going to try to sculpt a piece to fit - it's the bottom half of a tailplane so it might be an OK place to learn a new skill where it won't matter much even if I mess it up completely. While I'm waiting I'm going to do a spitfire and maybe this bf-109 I've been thinking about.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Interesting post on the Facebook thing today:

IPMS Phoenix Modelzona 2015

ZOUKEI-MURA will be participating in this year's IPMS Phoenix Modelzona 2015 which will be held in Phoenix, Arizona on November 7th!
The highly anticipated 1/48 Horten will be available for IPMS Phoenix's Modelzona 2015 attendees before anyone else in the world!

Please check out all of the details regarding the event here.
http://www.ipms-phoenix.org/craighewett/index.php/modelzona-2015

This is the yearly model show put on here that I entered my Carmen model last year. I plan to enter the AVS this year. I found it kind of cool that Zoukei-Mura will be there and offering their new Super Wing Series Ho 229 model there before it's available to buy elsewhere. They are supposedly donating some sort of super awesome model (or models) to the raffles too.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Those Zoukei-Mura kits are loving insane, I saw the 1/32 Ho-299 being showed at SMC. It would looks great in a factory diorama, being half constructed or something like that.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Speaking of Facebook, here's a video of model cranes building model cranes:

https://www.facebook.com/alhrf.alnatq/videos/955533104479128/

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Colonial Air Force posted:

Speaking of Facebook, here's a video of model cranes building model cranes:

https://www.facebook.com/alhrf.alnatq/videos/955533104479128/

cool, but should have added tiny miniatures who moved around as well.

....preferrably tiny goblin miniatures.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Nebakenezzer posted:

I just checked on Scalemates and they say its a new kit. That said, it sounds like you will be fillin' some gaps.

I dry-fit the engine nacelles against the fuselage. The gaps are freaking giant. The kit has been put into a cardboard box, awaiting a day when I have the skills to fill.

I'm moving on to the Revell 1/48 A-10, in hopes that I at least have better success this time around. So far it's a WAY better fit along the fuselage. I have high hopes of not upwardly loving this one.

What are you folks' thoughts on painting subcomponents first - cockpit panels, engine intake/exhaust, wheel wells, etc.? Good practice or just handbrush them later? I do have an airbrush and have used it to great aplomb, but thus far I've done these bits and pieces before final painting and masked/touched up as best I can.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Airfix Tiger Moth, 1/72nd. Another new tool that's good and cheap.

Pictured here shortly before I realised I'd forgotten the windscreen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

That's why they have goggles.