Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fingolfin
Jan 30, 2006
insert optional text here
1. Australia
2. Whoever smashes McCaw

also this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmkbJlYx1v8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
1. Scotland
2. Italy
3. Ireland
4. Wales
5. Japan.
6. Don't care, as long as the match isn't dogshit.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

1 Scotland
2 Leone Nakawara
3 DTH

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down

dex_sda posted:

in this case you get both

Forever to be known as the "Scotland Twofer"

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

So world rugby have came out and said the last Australian penalty should've been an Australian scrum instead. Bit late.

Great way to support your referees, IRB.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Mr Chips posted:

Yeah, I was thinking that too, they've definitely had some Home Nations Pressure. Regardless of the decision, coming out like that isn't going to inspire refs with confidence.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Unimpressed posted:

To me, Australia are the biggest underdogs of the top nations in Rugby (I guess Argentina are top tier these days, so maybe second biggest underdog). The sport here is a by-line to everything else, the ARU is virtually bankrupt and yet we manage to produce some pretty good, albeit inconsistent, Rugby. We're the Tottenham of Rugby :)

There are a lot of private schoolboys in Canberra, Brisbane and Sydney.

My list is simple:
1) Australia
2) Whoever is playing England
3) The sport of rugby through "actually good games" and "underdogs winning"

I don't like it when New Zealand win, but they're so good at Rugby. I don't hate them, but I celebrate every time we win.

TRISHY
Apr 12, 2005

I think I love you

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr Chips posted:

uh it's world rugby now :eng101:

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

There is a difference between supporting and wanting teams to do well.

I live in NZ so I support NZ in every sport. Including poo poo we are terrible at. After that I like the underdogs to do well. gently caress everyone else imo. Especially Australia.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Unimpressed posted:

Yeah, I was thinking that too, they've definitely had some Home Nations Pressure. Regardless of the decision, coming out like that isn't going to inspire refs with confidence.

*Goes to TMO over every little bitch thing*

*Does not go to TMO over decision that affects both match outcome and world cup*

*Is called Joubert*

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

rejutka posted:

*Goes to TMO over every little bitch thing*

*Does not go to TMO over decision that affects both match outcome and world cup*

*Is called Joubert*

Hardly the point. If he's a bad ref they should tell him, sanction him, whatever. But throwing him under the bus publicly after that kind of game is pretty poo poo.

Besides, my understanding is that he couldn't go to TMO and that the WR statement was that he made a wrong decision, not that he should have gone to TMO (could be wrong about this, haven't actually read their statement). So basically, they're publicly criticising him for making a mistake that needed 15 video viewings to determine. They wouldn't be doing this if it was Fiji that lost to England, you can be sure of that.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

Unimpressed posted:

Besides, my understanding is that he couldn't go to TMO and that the WR statement was that he made a wrong decision, not that he should have gone to TMO (could be wrong about this, haven't actually read their statement). So basically, they're publicly criticising him for making a mistake that needed 15 video viewings to determine.

He did make the wrong call but he actually could not go to the TMO for that sort of decision. The TMO is only allowed for confirming if points are scored (kicks go over or tries are properly grounded), if the lead-up to tries are legitimate (up to two phases back), and to check on foul play.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

ElectroMagneticJosh posted:

He did make the wrong call but he actually could not go to the TMO for that sort of decision. The TMO is only allowed for confirming if points are scored (kicks go over or tries are properly grounded), if the lead-up to tries are legitimate (up to two phases back), and to check on foul play.

Exactly, so essentially he's being criticised for making the wrong call on something that required quite a bit of replays to confirm and he couldn't view those replays according to the rules.

GG World Rugby!

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Unimpressed posted:

Hardly the point. If he's a bad ref they should tell him, sanction him, whatever. But throwing him under the bus publicly after that kind of game is pretty poo poo.

Besides, my understanding is that he couldn't go to TMO and that the WR statement was that he made a wrong decision, not that he should have gone to TMO (could be wrong about this, haven't actually read their statement). So basically, they're publicly criticising him for making a mistake that needed 15 video viewings to determine. They wouldn't be doing this if it was Fiji that lost to England, you can be sure of that.

Do you actually think World Rugby give a flying gently caress about Scotland or the SRU or any kind of pressure that you think the SRU able to exert on them, the reason there has been an uproar is precisely because a much smaller union came so close to beating one of the rugby giants despite having been written off by everyone. I could see the knock on by Phipps on TV, the exact same video shown on the huge screen in slow motion, in the stadium that Joubert looked at while Australia were setting up for the kick. It's not like they had to perform some Matrix 360 degree camera voodoo to find that he'd hosed up.

Vaders Jester fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Oct 20, 2015

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

Vaders Jester posted:

Do you actually think World Rugby give a flying gently caress about Scotland or the SRU or any kind of pressure that you think the SRU able to exert on them.

Scotland are one of the eight foundational unions and, as such, have quite a bit of power. More than, say, Argentina or Japan. They also were the NH team that were prevented from going through to the semis due to a bad call so some of the other foundational unions might take up their cause.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Scotland had to be sacrificed so that a more worthy team wasn't the recipient of Joubert's incompetence.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

Australia denied by Joubert the opportunity to score a winning try off a scrum and stop NH :qq:

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

ElectroMagneticJosh posted:

Scotland are one of the eight foundational unions and, as such, have quite a bit of power. More than, say, Argentina or Japan. They also were the NH team that were prevented from going through to the semis due to a bad call so some of the other foundational unions might take up their cause.

Scotland were stripped of their host spot in the 7s tour despite hosting the most successful 7s tournament ever because France paid World Rugby more money even though the French public don't give a gently caress about 7s and Scotland invented it. World Rugby do not give a gently caress about the SRU. They might be a founding union but they are pretty much ignored by everyone unless it suits their needs(rightly so, because the SRU are useless).

This whole world cup has had people calling for referees to be more accountable because of mistakes and this was probably the biggest of the tournament (in terms of impact), World Rugby were going to have to make a statement at some point and if after review, they find that Joubert was wrong they can't really say anything other than "yup, he done goofed but he's a good referee and everyone makes mistakes" which is pretty much what they said.

Vaders Jester fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 20, 2015

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Its bitter english people having another swipe at Australia after failing to make the knockouts. See also being banned for the wales game despite not having something to awnser to.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Besides, we all know that in a good and just world Japan would have been playing instead.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

awesmoe posted:

YUP
Especially living in new zealand it gets so loving old how the day after any given game of rugby the two top stories on every news website will be "this decision was poo poo" and "decisions are poo poo: is this killing the game???"
Just suck it up you big whinging babies

Pretty easy to say when you benefit entirely from the big nation bias in refereeing..

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Given that Scotland only got in the quarterfinals because of a blown call on a knock-on, all this bullshit is a bit much, ya know?

World Rugby is poo poo. How the gently caress do they do that to Joubert, singling out that one call? They're not reviewing anything else?

loving babies.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Given that Scotland only got in the quarterfinals because of a blown call on a knock-on, all this bullshit is a bit much, ya know?

World Rugby is poo poo. How the gently caress do they do that to Joubert, singling out that one call? They're not reviewing anything else?

loving babies.

Seeing as it came of Denton's foot at the base of the scrum, it wasn't a knock on. Much like you were wrong about the penalty in the Australia game.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
There's a certain level of subjectivity to officiating rugby, it's so complex and offences occur all the time it's ridiculously hard to get 100% of the calls tight 100% of the time.

We all know there are things that don't get called when they happen for the sake of the game (feeding the scrums, a poo poo load of ruck offenses and things like truck and trailer go unpunished regularly enough so games aren't stopping all the time or because WR has decided they aren't big enough offenses for whatever reason) but I can see how an outcome altering missed call in the last 45 seconds of a QF is a lot harder to dismiss for the people involved.

WR probably felt like they had to comment considering the whole stadium saw the slo mo replay of Phipps touching the ball and Joubert panicked and ran off at the end but they would've been better staying quiet and letting the whole thing die down a bit. I mean Matt Dawson tweeted that Joubert should never officiate again right after the game, I doubt he'd say that today.

I think the TMO was used really well after the group stages and welcome it's use, we really need to think of ways of making the referee's time easier and that starts with giving them the confidence and ability to take a second look when needed. Joubert knows the laws, he just didn't know what he saw. When the stakes are as high as they were on Sunday there's going to be a reaction, I just hope WR can use it to make meaningful changes instead of a witch hunt of a perfectly acceptable official.

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

There's a certain level of subjectivity to officiating rugby, it's so complex and offences occur all the time it's ridiculously hard to get 100% of the calls tight 100% of the time.

We all know there are things that don't get called when they happen for the sake of the game (feeding the scrums, a poo poo load of ruck offenses and things like truck and trailer go unpunished regularly enough so games aren't stopping all the time or because WR has decided they aren't big enough offenses for whatever reason) but I can see how an outcome altering missed call in the last 45 seconds of a QF is a lot harder to dismiss for the people involved.

WR probably felt like they had to comment considering the whole stadium saw the slo mo replay of Phipps touching the ball and Joubert panicked and ran off at the end but they would've been better staying quiet and letting the whole thing die down a bit. I mean Matt Dawson tweeted that Joubert should never officiate again right after the game, I doubt he'd say that today.

I think the TMO was used really well after the group stages and welcome it's use, we really need to think of ways of making the referee's time easier and that starts with giving them the confidence and ability to take a second look when needed. Joubert knows the laws, he just didn't know what he saw. When the stakes are as high as they were on Sunday there's going to be a reaction, I just hope WR can use it to make meaningful changes instead of a witch hunt of a perfectly acceptable official.

Yea good post this... Spot on

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Like I said, it's embarassing. Joubert ain't as good as Nigel Owens but I'd take him over most officials. Dude just made a mistake, maybe ease off with the death threats and change.org petitions.

There's been like 15 50-50 calls the whole aus-sco game - as there are in any rugby game - that went both ways but because they happened more than ten minutes before the game ended nobody remembers that.

What Scotland should have done is feed the loving lineout properly. Just toss to the nearest guy, toss backward, play it safe. But they couldn't do that insanely basic thing, and instead whine at the referee for not making an insanely difficult snap judgement properly.

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 20, 2015

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

dex_sda posted:

Like I said, it's embarassing. Joubert ain't as good as Nigel Owens but I'd take him over most officials. Dude just made a mistake, maybe ease off with the death threats and change.org petitions.

There's been like 15 50-50 calls the whole aus-sco game - as there are in any rugby game - that went both ways but because they happened more than ten minutes before the game ended nobody remembers that.

What Scotland should have done is feed the loving lineout properly. Just toss to the nearest guy, toss backward, play it safe. But they couldn't do that insanely basic thing, and instead whine at the referee for not making an insanely difficult snap judgement properly.

Joubert has a reputation for loving up big calls in big matches but had he not run 20m off the pitch at the end, there wouldn't have been the same level of anger at him. People would have been salty at the missed call and moved on but it's his unwillingness to own that poo poo that caused a lot of people to lose their minds because as a ref, it's the height of unprofessional behaviour to not shake the hands of the captains after a match.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Vaders Jester posted:

Joubert has a reputation for loving up big calls in big matches but had he not run 20m off the pitch at the end, there wouldn't have been the same level of anger at him. People would have been salty at the missed call and moved on but it's his unwillingness to own that poo poo that caused a lot of people to lose their minds because as a ref, it's the height of unprofessional behaviour to not shake the hands of the captains after a match.

Yeah, I can't really argue with that. Nevertheless, 98% of the whinging I've seen is the decision itself

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

It was a fast decision that was shown to be questionable at the time on the big screen. Joubert could have gone to his AR to "discuss it" and give himself time to make a more informed decision but didn't. It was all very slapdash, especially for a call that had such a huge impact on the game but at the end of the day, that's rugby. It's a ball ache to ref at the best of times but if you are going to make snap decisions, own your decision and look the captains in the eye at the end and say well played.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Maybe he was really desperate for a piss, but not brave enough to piss himself and claim it was just rain.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

goatface posted:

Maybe he was really desperate for a piss, but not brave enough to piss himself and claim it was just rain.

Needs to man the gently caress up and piss himself. Or at the very least try not to piss himself when he has to talk to Strauss

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

quote:

Are you Brett Gosper?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11531791

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Not last I checked. But it's good to know he might just be a piss coward.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
This sort of thing happens. Joubert made a call based on how he saw things and was wrong. Happens, and just the game before people were slating Garces for not making the hard decisions. It's just one of those things - the yellow card on Maitland was probably a bit harsh as well, but on that occasion he was led into the decision by his TMO, something many people examining that particular decision are overlooking. It was just one of those games - he made some drat nice calls at points too: asking the TMO to examine a knock-on at the back of a ruck leading to an Australian non-try at one point.

At the end of the day, Scotland should never have given him the cause to blow his whistle for anything but the end of the game from that lineout. The margins at the top table are so thin that mistakes and sloppiness like that are always going to be punished one way or another.

I'm actually more annoyed at WR publicly hanging him out to dry than I am at his performance. Paddy O'Brien pulled this poo poo years ago and was forced into an embarrassing climbdown and apology, but this time the statement hasn't even been issued with a name to stand by it. By all means clarify to Joubert in person that he got the call wrong, and perhaps explain to coaching staff in private. But a public statement that essentially leaves him a marked man in the media is not what's best for the game. As great as the advent of the TMO is, the referee's job has become exponentially more difficult on the calls he cannot refer to him, because the majority of the public do not realise the restrictions surrounding his use. There's been some tremendously poo poo calls at this RWC, and they've only been highlighted further by some of the better TMO interventions surrounding them, this really isn't the time to be driving away potential future referees, or discouraging current match officials. This isn't 10 years ago when you had Kaplan, Mark Lawrence, Walsh etc, it's basically Owens on his own at the top.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Foley was kicking like an Australian kicker(like poo poo) for most of the game so it's not like a penalty kick from the side is so much better than a scrum anyway.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004
Surprised at all the Wallaby hate, we aren't spoilt like the All Blacks, dirty like the Boks or dull like the English team.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Scapegoat posted:

Surprised at all the Wallaby hate, we aren't spoilt like the All Blacks, dirty like the Boks or dull like the English team.
Quade Cooper's still on the team

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Mr Chips posted:

Quade Cooper's still on the team

So what? At best we should be mocked for it, not hated (unless you're a kiwi who was mortally offended by the knee to Sir's head).

Apart from the actual Kiwis, which is understandable, it's AB supporters (aka glory hunters) who are embracing the rivalry. Sort of like hating Tottenham when you're an Arsenal fan from Singapore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

Unimpressed posted:

So what? At best we should be mocked for it, not hated (unless you're a kiwi who was mortally offended by the knee to Sir's head).

I think of Quade better for kneeing the king of the bogans in the head. I still don't want to see him at one our games though.