Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015
If bad movie podcasts were higher education:

-HDTGM is a 101 class that everyone has to take regardless of their major to graduate, so most class time is wasted by jocks asking stupid questions
-The Flophouse is a 200 level course with interesting subject matter and readings but nothing too in-depth, and class discussion is mostly on topic but every now and then that one Philosophy major starts comparing everything to Kant
-We Hate Movies is the seminar class: it's composed of all majors who did the reading and bring their game faces, and a kickass professor who manages to crack jokes while teaching the material

Each has their place, but if you're serious about bad movie podcasts, you should be listening to We Hate Movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

So would that make Yeah, It's That Bad the one course everyone thought was cool, but then that one neckbeard with the katana started stalking the TA so they cancelled the course?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

weekly font posted:

I constantly forget how stupid that movie is. Time for a relisten, I guess. That episode also contains my favorite Steve transition: "Speaking of raining donuts, Ethan Suplee.."

I feel like the guys didn't spend enough time laughing at the Baby Boomer joke

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

centaurtainment posted:

If bad movie podcasts were higher education:
-We Hate Movies is the seminar class: it's composed of all majors who did the reading and bring their game faces, and a kickass professor who manages to crack jokes while teaching the material

Each has their place, but if you're serious about bad movie podcasts, you should be listening to We Hate Movies.

Blame it on Rio is Doctorate

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

centaurtainment posted:

No, its majors who teach the material, when they are teaching the material. When they aren't, they are regaling you about ~this~ story or ~that~ story that has nothing to do with anything, and you're wondering if you should be taking notes about this.

(I love WHM, but holy poo poo once it derails, it derails.)

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

MisterBibs posted:

No, its majors who teach the material, when they are teaching the material. When they aren't, they are regaling you about ~this~ story or ~that~ story that has nothing to do with anything, and you're wondering if you should be taking notes about this.

(I love WHM, but holy poo poo once it derails, it derails.)

I think what I like about WHM is that, while it does derail in spectacular ways, they actually manage to work through the films pretty coherently while HDTGM and Flop House might as well not even be talking about a movie at all they're so all over the place.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

WHM derails are great and these guys are way more interesting and informative about their subject than most other podcasts are in general.

DangerDummy! posted:

It might be because I was completely exhausted and in a weird head space when I listened, but I don't think I've laughed out loud more at any episode than Killer Workout. In fact, I think they've been funnier than ever lately. So many episodes in and they just keep putting out a better and better product. It's pretty impressive, really.

I agree, they've really been on a roll lately.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
WHM derails are great because they go off-track as far as needed for the jokes and then just as you're used to the new topic Steve or someone will cut in with a great segue back to the movie. It really helps that they're all immediately on board for earnestly discussing/laughing at the derail so it moves along at a good clip. Plus I assume some weaker stuff gets edited out from time to time when it hurts the flow of the show.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Only just listened to the STIGMATA episode for some reason, and that loving Diablo name was amazing. The episode is worth it just for that.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Mark Wahlberg going off on boston things, and PB&J is never not funny. I could listen to the first 20 minutes of the Planet of the Apes episode and always crack up.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

"So, he's dead." -- one of the greatest "back on track" statements of all time.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

TetsuoTW posted:

So would that make Yeah, It's That Bad the one course everyone thought was cool, but then that one neckbeard with the katana started stalking the TA so they cancelled the course?

Yeah It's that Bad has been gone for over two years now :cry:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

This is the only podcast that ever made me wish K-9 had more dog-boner-drenched sequels.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

bobservo posted:

Yeah It's that Bad has been gone for over two years now :cry:

If you were a real YiTB fan you'd say it's been gone for seventy million-billion years.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Their newest episode is Freddy Vs Jason.

I don't understand why, since the movie is objectively flawless and any criticisms are evidence of being satanic communist terrorists, but there you go.

Edit: vvv :thejoke:

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Oct 20, 2015

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MisterBibs posted:

I don't understand why, since the movie is objectively flawless and any criticisms are evidence of being satanic communist terrorists, but there you go.

You uh, you've caught all the times they've done movies they like and been all like "yeah in spite of the name sometimes we talk about movies that are rad," right?

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot
The problem I have with this podcast is that I haven't seen 90% of the films they cover and they're films I wouldn't want to see anyway.

It often seems that they're hunting for really terrible films --but these guys are at their best when they cover mainstream movies that look dated and bad now but were quite a hit back in the day like Mrs. Doubtfire.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

starry skies above posted:

The problem I have with this podcast is that I haven't seen 90% of the films they cover and they're films I wouldn't want to see anyway.

It often seems that they're hunting for really terrible films --but these guys are at their best when they cover mainstream movies that look dated and bad now but were quite a hit back in the day like Mrs. Doubtfire.

Counterpoint: Abraxas.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Counterpoint: Abraxas.

I'm pretty sure that starry skies is Secundus.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
That took exactly how long I thought it would to get to "would you rather gently caress Freddy or Jason?"

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

MisterBibs posted:

Edit: vvv :thejoke:

Was anyone expressing that sentiment?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Listening to Date With an Angel episode, and Peter Falk Angel is one of the better characters they've invented IMO. With special guest star KITT!

"I don't have to bathe, I can smoke cigars, and I still smell like nothin' but baby powder and moonbeams."

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Illinois Smith posted:

That took exactly how long I thought it would to get to "would you rather gently caress Freddy or Jason?"

I feel like we learned a lot about the boys in those first ten minutes. Yikes.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

sean10mm posted:

Listening to Date With an Angel episode, and Peter Falk Angel is one of the better characters they've invented IMO. With special guest star KITT!

"I don't have to bathe, I can smoke cigars, and I still smell like nothin' but baby powder and moonbeams."

I think Peter Falk might be my favorite impression of theirs of someone that's never been in an episode's movie (he hasn't, right?). Peter Falk angel and him with the Kano eye are pure gold.

Except I already realize I'm wrong because I could listen to Andrew and Steve do Mike Schank for hours. Just takin' some sweet, sweet acid and waitin' on that ice-cold Surge.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Freddy Vs Jason was actually one of the best cinema experiences I'd ever had. It was packed and everyone was into it, so much so that I came away insisting to my girlfriend at the time that it was amazing. I took her to see it like a week later, in a screen that only had like 5 other people in it and I think I ended up apologising at the end.

Still though, it has some moments that I liked. And sorry guys, but I got no love for Kane Hodder either.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Isn't Kane Hodder kind of a total rear end in a top hat IRL? I've heard some not-good things.

Also, you know, I agree with most of the WHM gang's points about Freddy vs. Jason, but it really is kinda more than the sum of its parts. A lot of that dumb stuff, you don't even really notice in the moment because the film keeps up such a constant energy.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Was anyone expressing that sentiment?

Dude, I was just making a joke about how I legitimately love the movie, hyperbolicly insulting anyone who thinks otherwise. There's not too much more to it.

With regards to who plays Jason, I think they are all generally interchangeable since it's just a stuntman playing a masked zombie. I think it was the right choice to hire a huge guy for FvJ, since Freddy is a normal sized dude and the contrast worked.

Anyone who didn't like Freddy's :ohdear: face realizing he's in the Real World next to an obviously pissed Jason hates awesome.

(I agree that Jason fearing water is bullshit. I get that he nearly drowned as a kid, but c'mon, dude lives in the water, practically.)

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

MisterBibs posted:

Dude, I was just making a joke about how I legitimately love the movie, hyperbolicly insulting anyone who thinks otherwise. There's not too much more to it.

With regards to who plays Jason, I think they are all generally interchangeable since it's just a stuntman playing a masked zombie. I think it was the right choice to hire a huge guy for FvJ, since Freddy is a normal sized dude and the contrast worked.

Anyone who didn't like Freddy's :ohdear: face realizing he's in the Real World next to an obviously pissed Jason hates awesome.

(I agree that Jason fearing water is bullshit. I get that he nearly drowned as a kid, but c'mon, dude lives in the water, practically.)

Sorry, misread you then. Didn't mean to offend.

I haven't finished the episode yet but I think "They can be offended?" was the best line.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Sorry, misread you then. Didn't mean to offend.

I haven't finished the episode yet but I think "They can be offended?" was the best line.

Jason power bottom

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Isn't Kane Hodder kind of a total rear end in a top hat IRL? I've heard some not-good things.

Also, you know, I agree with most of the WHM gang's points about Freddy vs. Jason, but it really is kinda more than the sum of its parts. A lot of that dumb stuff, you don't even really notice in the moment because the film keeps up such a constant energy.

Basically yes, and he has this whole 'Only I should play Jason' thing going on. By contrast Derek Mears is the opposite, and a really nice fella.

I think that FVJ is something that succeeds when it does because of Ronny Yu. I mean, the movie is dumb sure, but it also sort of zips by and doesn't really outstay its welcome.

Also, the bigger crime is what happened to Monica Keena...Yeesh.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
They're familiar with Dragon Ball Z, and yet they haven't done the driver's license episode for Animation Damnation. This is a tragedy.

Violator
May 15, 2003

The dude who played Jason in the 2009 remake was BY FAR the best Jason in the entire series and outclasses Kane Hodder in every way possible.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

It was brought up earlier in the thread about who in the group likes Friday the 13th, and at least a couple do. Andrew has the boxsets and mentioned having/reading one of the Friday the 13th novels, and (Eric, I think) said he had a mask and also a shirt.

I wish I lived closer to NY, so I could go to this festival.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Seems like every week I have to skip over more ads. I like that they front load them all so it's easy to do but the actual episode not starting until almost 7 minutes in this week seems a bit excessive. Does anybody actually sit through all that?

Violator
May 15, 2003

I do because they pepper it with jokes, but it seems like they're being forced to stick more to the scripts they're provided. But then the sarcastic tone makes up for it and makes them fun.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015
You guys listen to podcast ads?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

God I wish I didn't have to they're becoming increasingly worse. I don't think they make them much money anyways.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Invalid Validation posted:

God I wish I didn't have to they're becoming increasingly worse. I don't think they make them much money anyways.

I really don't have any problem with podcasts having ads as long as Apple keeps the +15 seconds button on their podcast app. The podcasters get money and I am only inconvenienced a tiny bit.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

WHM is pretty good cause it's front loaded but a lot more just stop every 10 minutes for another 4 minutes of ads. There's got to be a better way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ad breaks in podcasts are the worst and wouldn't work well with WHM's stream of consciousness format. I'm aware it's edited for time and content already, but the end result is a fast-moving, nonstop conversation between the hosts, and that's one of the show's big strengths.