Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
AI Controlled Characters in Dragon Quest Heroes don't have much sense of self preservation, I am looking at you Nera, stop running into melee range of the Golem who does big aoe's and hits like a truck, you are a caster, run away!

She's actually pretty powerful if you control her directly, but that's Warriors games for you, incompetent allies are a series staple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RBA Starblade posted:

There was a bug at launch where a chicken in a town would watch you kill someone and the guards would know as a result. :v:

I think it was because the chickens were classified as townspeople. I remember killing a dragon in the middle of a town , and then instead of thanking me all the residents attacked me because one of my fireballs killed a chicken so they all aggroed and ganged up for chicken revenge.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Having to murder a chicken who witnessed your murder sounds like an awesome Sheogorath quest.

Also I wanna see a Kvatch with warring factions and dudes swordfighting.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I had this problem with Skyrim. I like insanely grognardy CRPGs. Gothic 2, Dark Sun, Wizardry 6-8, you name it, you know? So it's not a difficulty thing. But I really felt like I was doing something wrong with Skyrim because over two or three different characters every encounter with a dragon or a mage who could cast freezy icicle missle resulted in me getting OHKO'd.

Maybe it's because my main PC is a Nord but ice spells aren't very threatening after level 10 or so. I've fought mages that would launch icicles at me and I'd just run at them and cut them down. But then his buddy with the Palpatine lightning kills me instantly despite me having 450 health and 500 armor rating.

I really hate the way they handled the Alduin fights because they basically ruin the entire climax of the main quest by having you beat the final boss, then he runs away like a pussy, then you have to beat him again with backup, making it much easier than the first time. This is like...the worst way you could design a final boss battle. At least make the encounter on the Throat of the World unwinnable so he just smacks you around and talks trash at you before flying off to Sovngarde.

Cleretic posted:

In Skyrim, the only one that's actually remotely demanding is that the Companions bitch you out for using magic in your entrance duel. That's not only not nearly enough, but the fact that's the only one that's there is just more and greater evidence that Bethesda wanted everybody to play a burly man-hero.
I used spells twice in the entire College questline--once to pass the entrance exam, and once when Tolfdir demonstrates wards. For everything else I relied on shouts, sword, and shield exclusively. The only way I could see it being a serious issue is if you've invested in two-handed instead of one-handed (you need a free hand for the Staff of Magnus).

Well I suppose the Staff of Magnus technically counts as magic but it's still not a spell. I just point and click on the Eye of Magnus before going back to hitting Ancano with my sword. All hail our wise new Arch-Mage, possessed of no magic perks or skill level higher than 20 in any school of magic. When he was asked what he would do as Arch-Mage he said he would wander around Skyrim hitting draugr with large objects until they fall over.

Nuebot posted:

Listen man, they're going to poison the poison water with a water purifier that's full of radiation. What doesn't make sense about that?
Also it's just one lake.
Also they have a billion Mr. Handy's everywhere that can purify water and nothing is stopping anyone from just disabling one and turning it into a water purifier.
But I mean, Destiny!

Have you heard of this amazing experimental water purification technology called activated charcoal? You run water through a layer of it and it comes out the other end clean. Nothing about Fallout 3 makes sense. Not one single thing. There is nothing to eat, nobody makes anything, nobody does any work, not even the raiders actually have anything of value to raid. Even New Vegas annoyed me with the lack of newly-constructed buildings and general squalor--do not loving tell me that the post-apocalyptic Nevadans cannot stack bricks on top of each other, pick up trash, or wash dirty things with the clean water you can find almost anywhere in the game.

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 00:59 on Oct 20, 2015

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

Nuebot posted:

Skyrim almost does it right. Kill all the witnesses and your crime goes away! Unless you do murder, sometimes?. Murder never goes away and guards are psychic. There are also certain NPCs who, upon being killed, everyone will just know and you get a bounty, even if you teleport them to a dark, sealed void where no one could see.

Even worse is the system where NPCs can place a bounty on you for stealing their stuff even if they have no way to know it was you. You just get attacked by a bunch of bounty hunters and on their corpse is a note saying who sent them after you. This is pretty dumb to begin with but they don't bother to make sure the person who sent them after you are townsfolk or even alive. If you pickpocket a bandit of their weapon then murder them with it they can still send bounty hunters after you.

Pickpocketed items count as 'stolen' even if they were lifted from targets that it's perfectly legal to kill and loot like bandits.

Those 2 weirdnesses make half the perks in the Pickpocket tree near useless. Unless you wanted to fight bounty hunters almost every time you fast travelled anywhere. I wanted to make a stealthy character that pickpocketed my enemies weapons before fighting them but it was just so disappointing that I couldnt sell any of the weapons I took because I didn't want to join the thieves guild and then the people I killed posthumously sent bounty hunters after me for stealing their stuff even though I only killed bandits, necromancers and the like.

But the biggest thing that dragged Skyrim down for me was getting rid of attributes. Sure the system for increasing them was rightly maligned in the previous games but fixing it would have been infinitely better than eliminating it. Having choices and customization makes those sorts of games so much more fun generally but in the Elder Scrolls games especially I loved the way the attributes created synergies between the skills. Levelling Illusion made it easier to gain Personality which then increased the effectiveness of your Speechcraft and Mercantile and the like. That was really cool and helped create an interesting thematic gulf between specializing and generalizing.

Also those dumb kill cams that just grind the game to a halt with tedious pointless slowmo animations that can't be disabled after every other fight or so. It wasn't so bad at release since I played a mage and they didn't add kill cam animations to spell casting until one or another of the dlcs or possibly patches but it's super annoying now. There are mods that get rid of them in theory but none that I've tried fully work as of the Dragonborne dlc. I hate it when games jerk control away from me for no good reason and these are probably some of the most egregious examples in all of gaming. At least in New Vegas they could be disabled in the menu. No need for mods or any such nonsense. But that wasn't by Bethesda and it makes me really worried they'll do more stupid poo poo like that for Fallout4.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The hired thugs aren't actually lawful bounty, that's just some guy putting a hit on you because he's pissed off, an outlaw is perfectly capable of doing that even if he's an outlaw in the strict medieval sense and the authorities don't even recognize him as a human being--sellswords will still recognize him as having gold that he'll give them if they do what he wants.

No, where it gets ridiculous is when you rip the heart out of a Forsworn Briarheart and his corpse puts a contract on you.

quote:

But the biggest thing that dragged Skyrim down for me was getting rid of attributes. Sure the system for increasing them was rightly maligned in the previous games but fixing it would have been infinitely better than eliminating it. Having choices and customization makes those sorts of games so much more fun generally but in the Elder Scrolls games especially I loved the way the attributes created synergies between the skills. Levelling Illusion made it easier to gain Personality which then increased the effectiveness of your Speechcraft and Mercantile and the like. That was really cool and helped create an interesting thematic gulf between specializing and generalizing.
The OblivionXP mod is the best progression system in any TES game. You just do things that get you XP until you level up, at which point you get a number of points to spend on attributes and another pool to spend on skill points, and how much an upgrade in an attribute or skill costs depends on how high it is and whether it's tagged or not (major skills are cheaper to raise). And in addition, the mod restricts how many points you can dump into a single skill or attribute per level so you can't twink Blade all the way to 100 in ten levels.

Also Blade/Blunt is a much better dichotomy than One-Handed/Two Handed. Don't tell me an arming sword master can wield a mace with nearly equal ability, but becomes a floundering newbie when he gets a sword with a longer hilt and uses both hands. That's bullshit. Bull loving poo poo. Even the frequently mocked Blunt skill makes far more sense--axes and maces have similar balance points (at the end) and have far more in common than either does with a sword.

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 01:08 on Oct 20, 2015

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Oh and more skyrim stealing goodness! Some quest items count as stolen thanks to how you get them. There's one quest line where you're forced to go to prison, it's a really stupid quest line and if you accidentally start the quest at all you can wind up just being chased by guards forever until you go to prison. The problem is, if you go to prison all your stolen items are removed. Literally just removed from the game last time I tried it. So I had several quest items just gone before I could finish the quests. I've never done that quest since.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I've never seen a stolen quest item. I've been into houses where every single thing is owned except for the Stone of Barenziah, which you can take freely because it's a quest item and Skyrim relentlessly holds your hand.

No, the real problem with No One Escapes Cidhna Mine is that stupid orc rear end in a top hat with his bullshit cheating health bonus. Don't tell me a level 41 Dragonborn with 100 points in One-handed will lose a straight up fight against some two-bit Orc gangster even after using Dragon Aspect. I'm maxed-out on One-Handed, I'm dual wielding, and because I used Dragon Aspect, I have armor and his rear end does not.

And since people were discussing Fallout, why does New Vegas have Karma at all? It has the faction reputation system which already does everything Karma does better, and it allows for much more nuance by having different factions with conflicting agendas and eventually you're going to have to pick a side. Karma just seems there because its...expected to be there despite this presence of a new system that serves the same purpose but is better. gently caress, New Vegas fixes so much of what is wrong with Bethesda games. I hope Bethesda were paying attention but they're probably too far up their own asses to notice Obsidian fixing their formula for them.

However, even they fall into another trap that seemingly every RPG with followers has--the fact that they always, always can be made to work together. Mass Effect does this, Dragon Age does it (except Loghain but even that's a really dumb choice because you hardly get to use him and there's absolutely no reason not to side with Alistair, it's a simple binary choice to swap Loghain in for Alistair, and Loghain is the secondary villain and a complete irredeemable cockgoblin), New Vegas does it, Skyrim doesn't need to because it's followers are nothing but mute pack mules but it drat well would do it if it had to. Why should every party member be able to get along? Why not have irreconcilable differences between some of them and you end up in a dilemma where every possible choice will piss at least one of them off. The Civil War thing is just dying for conflicts like this--being able to recruit multiple followers, and these followers each have their own opinions about the war. One way or another you're going to make an enemy out of a friend.

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 01:30 on Oct 20, 2015

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Woolie Wool posted:

Why should every party member be able to get along? Why not have irreconcilable differences between some of them and you end up in a dilemma where every possible choice will piss at least one of them off. The Civil War thing is just dying for conflicts like this--being able to recruit multiple followers, and these followers each have their own opinions about the war. One way or another you're going to make an enemy out of a friend.

I'm not sure there was ever a compelling reason for any of your followers not to get along in New Vegas, though. No competing faction allegiances or anything. Is that what you meant, actually?

So far as the game went, in fact, they never interacted, which is a greater failing, since they'll all be crashing on your couch in the Lucky 38 together if you bother recruiting them.

Mass Effect did force everyone to get along, but your character actually did so within the narrative. You spent a large portion of Mass Effect 2 explicitly working on forcing everyone to get along, possibly failing and having someone killed or driven off, and your success or failure greatly determined the final outcome of the game. I don't know anything about 3, I admit.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Thing dragging Fallout 3 down: the sperglords who ignore anything the game says that doesn't fit their narrative of why it's bad.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Woolie Wool posted:

Why not have irreconcilable differences between some of them and you end up in a dilemma where every possible choice will piss at least one of them off. The Civil War thing is just dying for conflicts like this--being able to recruit multiple followers, and these followers each have their own opinions about the war. One way or another you're going to make an enemy out of a friend.

Personally, in my tabletop experience, I've found that 'pick only one of these two good options' is a far more compelling choice for players than 'pick one of these two bad options.' A bad guy offers you the choice between love interest and group of citizens? Huh, weigh it up, probably gonna be better to save the citizens because that's what an unselfish good guy would do. A merchant offers you a lightning bolt crossbow and an explosive fireball grenade launcher but says you can only have one of them? gently caress, I, uh, poo poo. poo poo. DAMMIT.

E: This only really works if both items are 'the obviously good one' to a basically equal, small portion of the player base. Best if they're very different in kind.

Somfin has a new favorite as of 02:07 on Oct 20, 2015

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The bounty system in Skyrim was weird because the people who put it out on you never seemed to acknowledge it. So I break into some alchemists lab and steal all his soul gems and he puts a hit out on me, but he next time I see him he goes on like nothing happened.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Byzantine posted:

Thing dragging Fallout 3 down: the sperglords who ignore anything the game says that doesn't fit their narrative of why it's bad.

Fallout 3 sucks because of the lack of meaningful moral choices and shallow characters, except for when it sucks because it has moral choices that are too meaningful (Tenpenny Tower, the ending) or the characters don't do exactly what you want them to because they have their own motivations.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

ArcMage posted:

I'm not sure there was ever a compelling reason for any of your followers not to get along in New Vegas, though. No competing faction allegiances or anything. Is that what you meant, actually?
Yeah, I want characters who actually have conflicting motivations, agendas, and allegiances that can't necessarily be reconciled, or personal differences that make them unable to stand each other. If the player becomes attached to two companions and they come into a conflict that cannot be resolved, that's a powerful dilemma. Kind of a shame that Caesar's Legion were so undeveloped. I mean they were always going to be the bad guys, but more could have been done with them than a few spots on the map and characters with minimal interactivity who are about as likable as Adolf Lenin Columbus al-Baghdadi.

Byzantine posted:

Tell us also about how you think all those people who make fun of titty animes are fuddy-duddies and how titty animes should not be subjected to criticism because

Fallout 3's writing and, worse, its setting (in a game that relies on its setting as the primary way to engage the player) are that bad.

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 02:23 on Oct 20, 2015

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Woolie Wool posted:

Yeah, I want characters who actually have conflicting motivations, agendas, and allegiances that can't necessarily be reconciled, or personal differences that make them unable to stand each other.

Neverwinter Nights 2 had a lot of this, though honestly it was a pain in the rear end dealing with a party full of bickering assholes who all hated eachother. It wasn't a great game, and being Teenager Simulator 2006 really didn't help it.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Woolie Wool posted:

Tell us also about how you think all those people who make fun of titty animes are fuddy-duddies and how titty animes should not be subjected to criticism because

Fallout 3's writing and, worse, its setting (in a game that relies on its setting as the primary way to engage the player) are that bad.

I don't care that people criticize it, I care that they apparently couldn't be bothered to pay attention to the game they're criticizing.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Byzantine posted:

I don't care that people criticize it, I care that they apparently couldn't be bothered to pay attention to the game they're criticizing.

Hey what does Dragonrend do?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Somfin posted:

Personally, in my tabletop experience, I've found that 'pick only one of these two good options' is a far more compelling choice for players than 'pick one of these two bad options.' A bad guy offers you the choice between love interest and group of citizens? Huh, weigh it up, probably gonna be better to save the citizens because that's what an unselfish good guy would do.

You just described that one choice I hated in the first inFamous.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Action Tortoise posted:

You just described that one choice I hated in the first inFamous.

Isn't that a bullshit choice too and if you go for one, it's actually the other anyway or something? Infamous made the whole good/evil thing so hilariously one sided though. Go evil, have citizens throw rocks at you that stunlocked you from a million feet away and would get you killed if you were ever in a fight.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
If you rescue the scientists your dying girlfriend tells you how proud she is of how selfless you are. If you rescue your girlfriend you find out you got tricked into saving the scientists and your dying girlfriend tells you how ashamed she is at what you've become.

I like the choice they posed but I hated how they went with it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Spek posted:

Also those dumb kill cams that just grind the game to a halt with tedious pointless slowmo animations that can't be disabled after every other fight or so. It wasn't so bad at release since I played a mage and they didn't add kill cam animations to spell casting until one or another of the dlcs or possibly patches but it's super annoying now.

I'm not using any mods or anything, and they don't seem too bad to me. Occasionally you'll get three or four in a short time but then you'll go ages without seeing one. I also love when I see a rabbit or fox or something and fire off a spell at it only to see, in dramatic slow motion, the spell fly straight past it and the creature run away. I don't know why the kill-cam triggers for near misses like that, but it's hilarious.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I don't know what determines it or not, but I got them all the time on my stealth character. Watching every arrow slow motion shoot into every bandit was awful.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Use VioLens and you can change the frequency of killmoves or disable them altogether. They're probably killmoving every time because, since the other bandits haven't fully woken up, the game doesn't count it as "entering combat" so every enemy you kill, from the game's perspective, is the last enemy you kill.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Nuebot posted:

Isn't that a bullshit choice too and if you go for one, it's actually the other anyway or something?

Since the guy setting it up was you ALL ALONG, makes sense he'd know which you'd choose.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Byzantine posted:

Since the guy setting it up was you ALL ALONG, makes sense he'd know which you'd choose.

I genuinely liked that twist. The fight, however, could have been a bit shorter.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

The bounty system in Skyrim was weird because the people who put it out on you never seemed to acknowledge it. So I break into some alchemists lab and steal all his soul gems and he puts a hit out on me, but he next time I see him he goes on like nothing happened.

Passive aggression has an emphasis on the aggression in Tamriel.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
A real late MGS5 mission has you defending a point from a shitload of armored vehicles and troops. The APCs are easy enough to handle, they move close enough and don't have the health to survive a hit from that cluster rocket launcher. The tanks though like to hang out on the ridge near edge of the map and snipe. This is where the problem is, the tanks are capable of aiming in on my position the instant I fire, which gives me about a second to get into cover. As the mission goes on, this is cut down to the point where tanks are shooting at me before I even leave cover. My favorite is one being able to put a shot just right into the building where I was hit while running from one end to the next.

It would be one thing if I could prepare, but the mission checkpoints after the first couple vehicles are dead, and gives me time to drop a single supply drop, and 0 time to run out and set mines.

The first 30ish missions of MGS5 were really good, but the backhalf of the game is kinda lovely.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

CitizenKain posted:

A real late MGS5 mission has you defending a point from a shitload of armored vehicles and troops. The APCs are easy enough to handle, they move close enough and don't have the health to survive a hit from that cluster rocket launcher. The tanks though like to hang out on the ridge near edge of the map and snipe. This is where the problem is, the tanks are capable of aiming in on my position the instant I fire, which gives me about a second to get into cover. As the mission goes on, this is cut down to the point where tanks are shooting at me before I even leave cover. My favorite is one being able to put a shot just right into the building where I was hit while running from one end to the next.

It would be one thing if I could prepare, but the mission checkpoints after the first couple vehicles are dead, and gives me time to drop a single supply drop, and 0 time to run out and set mines.

The first 30ish missions of MGS5 were really good, but the backhalf of the game is kinda lovely.

If you're talking about the mission I think you're talking about, your AI buddy fucks you over too by dropping flares at your feet which alerts the enemies to where you are and then, when you hide to avoid getting blown up, they then run out and get shot in the face so you have to save them. Then you get get shot.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

CitizenKain posted:

Also, once you start that mission you can't abort it to go load out properly. And the mission starts without warning of what you're even getting into, so if you're like me you went in with the sneaking suit and next to no means to take out armored vehicles.

I hope you've got a premade loadout set up, because you're not gonna have breathing room to order everything individually. Even then, you kinda have to get lucky; I never got the opportunity to order in a single thing.

That mission is bafflingly poo poo, I have no idea why it's designed like it is. It can't even be laziness, since it actually uses special events and programming, the mission itself isn't thrown together haphazardly.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Wasn't it (or still is) possible for a loving ghost to send hitmen after you, and their letter will literally be signed "Ghost"?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

"Fallout 3's plot posted:

Dad killed himself rather than let his broken machine fall into the hands of people who wanted to fix it. He sabotaged the water purifier that had no reason to existreleased radiation it shouldn't have, killing Colonel Autumn who had no reason to be there. Then we go to Littlelamp light a village of children which aoubdfsiasbf ausdfas fdas to get to Vault 87 to obtain a GECK, an item which would be better put to use for virtually any reason other than the one we acquired it for. Then Colonel Autumn, who shouldn't be alive, ambushed us form a place he shouldn't be able to reach with a flash grenade that shouldn't have worked, to stop us from fixing the machine he wanted fixed. Then he tortured us for a code we had no reason not to give him, until the President stopped him to have us put into motion his own plan, which was of no benefit to anyone, ourselves least of all.

At the end of the game everyone had the same goal: Turn on the purifier. Because of this overwhelming consensus, we obligated to fight a massive war. Colonel Autumn sacrificed himself to stop us from turning on the machine he wanted to use. The Enclave defeated themselves by sabotaging the machine they wanted to use, causing it to explode even though it shouldn't, and forcing us to enter the chamber flooded with lethal radiation that wasn't actually lethal. At least until the DLC retconned our death...

This is the best plot summary for FO3 I've ever come across. Christ that game makes no sense.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Cleretic posted:

That mission is bafflingly poo poo, I have no idea why it's designed like it is. It can't even be laziness, since it actually uses special events and programming, the mission itself isn't thrown together haphazardly.
And you'd think the reward for it would at least be amazing, right? Nope your best buddy leaves forever.

I straight up deleted my save over that bullshit. And then I started the game over from the start right away and am back at mission 20 because it's just that good. Early missions are pretty amazing when you have limited equipment but 100 hours experience under your belt.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Woolie Wool posted:

Yeah, I want characters who actually have conflicting motivations, agendas, and allegiances that can't necessarily be reconciled, or personal differences that make them unable to stand each other. If the player becomes attached to two companions and they come into a conflict that cannot be resolved, that's a powerful dilemma. Kind of a shame that Caesar's Legion were so undeveloped. I mean they were always going to be the bad guys, but more could have been done with them than a few spots on the map and characters with minimal interactivity who are about as likable as Adolf Lenin Columbus al-Baghdadi.

Alright, and that really is a shame with New Vegas and with the Legion. All throughout the DLC and in the supplementary materials you hear about all this complex stuff that the Legion was involved in, and you touch none of it.

You sort of, I guess, could also side with the Powder Gangers early on, if you really wanted to be double Hitler and murder Goodsprings as your first act in the game, but you don't ever get a companion from either of them.

Yeah, I probably wouldn't have used them, but that would've been interesting.

New Vegas is still dragged down by the fact that your companions never in fact know of each other except that they wouldn't travel with two people at once. Despite all living in the Lucky 38 subsequently.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
Female character designs in Mobas.

It really really sucks having a really great game and the only choice for a female player character is tits mcgee. I wouldn't even be upset if there was only 2 choices for female characters and one was a knight in armour or something and the other was tits mcgee. But no, even the ones in armour have to have boob plate, high heels and some sort of spanx bottoms so you can see their rear end. Even the midget non-human types; nope, they gotta have sexy long eyelashes, perfect makeup and weird oversexualized bodies even if they're 2 feet tall gremlins.

There's a few good monster ones but they're usually like "oh no spooky spider mother" or "fat girl with big machinery" that are still strangely meant to be attractive. Just give me at least one that doesn't fall into this trap guys. One character out of hundreds, that's all I'm asking. Then they can be forgotten in a few months after the initial hype and you can go back to drawing titty monsters with bizarre anatomy wearing kpop outfits.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Kayle from LoL is in full plate without a boobplate. So thats... one, I guess

E: Some of her alt skins have boobplate

E2: On the other hand, Lux's original design was so hilariously 'painted whore' that the MOBA community(!!) made a stink about it and they got her some armor.

Evilreaver has a new favorite as of 07:32 on Oct 20, 2015

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It really really sucks having a really great game and the only choice for a female player character is tits mcgee. I wouldn't even be upset if there was only 2 choices for female characters and one was a knight in armour or something and the other was tits mcgee. But no, even the ones in armour have to have boob plate, high heels and some sort of spanx bottoms so you can see their rear end. Even the midget non-human types; nope, they gotta have sexy long eyelashes, perfect makeup and weird oversexualized bodies even if they're 2 feet tall gremlins.

There's a few good monster ones but they're usually like "oh no spooky spider mother" or "fat girl with big machinery" that are still strangely meant to be attractive. Just give me at least one that doesn't fall into this trap guys. One character out of hundreds, that's all I'm asking. Then they can be forgotten in a few months after the initial hype and you can go back to drawing titty monsters with bizarre anatomy wearing kpop outfits.

It gets even funnier when you contrast between the games. Broodmother in DOTA 2 is just a vicious spider while Elise in LoL is a sexy vicious spiderwoman. Like their design approach was literally, "how do we add tits to this".

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Evilreaver posted:

Kayle from LoL is in full plate without a boobplate. So thats... one, I guess

E: Some of her alt skins have boobplate

They've been retconning the poo poo out of her though. Newest skin is just her in booby plate and a skinsuit.

Xoidanor posted:

It gets even funnier when you contrast between the games. Broodmother in DOTA 2 is just a vicious spider while Elise in LoL is a sexy vicious spiderwoman. Like their design approach was literally, "how do we add tits to this".

Sadly enough I think dota2 only has 2 female monster characters, the rest are sexy ladies in stupid hats as well.

Horrible Smutbeast has a new favorite as of 07:38 on Oct 20, 2015

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
I don't really think you can give Dota 2 any design credits since it was just a ctrl+c ctrl+v of Dota Allstars and then scrubbed clean of anything Blizzard could build a court case out of.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Sadly enough I think dota2 only has 2 female monster characters, the rest are sexy ladies in stupid hats as well.

Dota 2's 'female monster' characters, for the record, are Broodmother (giant spider), Naga Siren (fish woman with an emphasis on 'fish'), and Medusa (Medusa). You've also got the borderline cases of Death Prophet (a ghost) and Vengeful Spirit (undead fallen psuedoangel), which could go either way.

Their 'normal lady' characters tend to be at least dressed fairly well, though. The various assassins and rangers are lightly yet appropriately dressed, the elemental mages Lina and Crystal Maiden I'll cop but aren't that bad, Mirana's a priestess and dressed fairly accordingly, and then you've got Luna and Legion Commander who are actually fully armored, albeit in light armor in Luna's case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Kalos posted:

I don't really think you can give Dota 2 any design credits since it was just a ctrl+c ctrl+v of Dota Allstars and then scrubbed clean of anything Blizzard could build a court case out of.

Personally, I refuse to play anything after Aeon of Strife on Starcraft 1 on principle. Not even going to entertain all this derivative nonsense.