Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

mossyfisk posted:

Makes you think about how ridiculously overpowered the Lord Ruler was.

It kind of puts into prospective why Harmony made it so people couldn't have every magic power at the same time. I guess unless they have like 30 spikes in them.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

mossyfisk posted:

Makes you think about how ridiculously overpowered the Lord Ruler was.

Fortunately, he didn't know about the metal that enabled you to store luck.

And yes, the Lord Ruler was probably the most powerful non-shardholder that we've seen in the Cosmere so far, except for Hoid perhaps. None of the others compare.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Torrannor posted:

Fortunately, he didn't know about the metal that enabled you to store luck.

And yes, the Lord Ruler was probably the most powerful non-shardholder that we've seen in the Cosmere so far, except for Hoid perhaps. None of the others compare.

I reread the "I am, unfortunately, the Hero of Ages" epigraph a couple days ago, and Sazed seems to think that the Lord Ruler knew about all of the metals.

quote:

Yes, there are sixteen metals. I find it highly unlikely that the Lord Ruler did not know of them all. Indeed, the fact that he spoke of several on the plates in the storage caches meant that he knew at least of those.
I must assume that he did not tell mankind of them earlier for a reason. Perhaps he held them back to give him a secret edge, much as he kept back the single nugget of Preservation's body that made men into Mistborn.

Or, perhaps he simply decided that mankind had enough power in the ten metals they already understood. Some things we shall never know. Part of me still finds what he did regrettable. During the thousand-year reign of the Lord Ruler, how many people were born, Snapped, lived, and died never knowing that they were Mistings, simply because their metals were unknown?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Law Cheetah posted:

I reread the "I am, unfortunately, the Hero of Ages" epigraph a couple days ago, and Sazed seems to think that the Lord Ruler knew about all of the metals.

Good catch! Then it's strange how he did not keep a reserve of these metals for emergencies. The ability to create speed bubbles or to wipe the metal reserves of enemy allomancers would have made him even more powerful. Perhaps he reasoned that nobody had any chance of beating him in a fight anyway.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

He knew about them, but it was far too much trouble to allow other people the opportunity to use them, and the tech necessary would have been an issue as well.

He suppressed chemistry because guns were something he didn't want in his society.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Tunicate posted:

He knew about them, but it was far too much trouble to allow other people the opportunity to use them, and the tech necessary would have been an issue as well.

He suppressed chemistry because guns were something he didn't want in his society.

Yup. An early-renaissance culture would have a hell of a time creating some of the pure metals or their alloys. Not to mention that some of the unknowns are also pretty toxic.

Makes you think...I guess for testing a new Misting you'd have to use very small amounts of metals, or you'd be giving everyone heavy metal poisoning.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

OAquinas posted:

Makes you think...I guess for testing a new Misting you'd have to use very small amounts of metals, or you'd be giving everyone heavy metal poisoning.

yeah. though since you can burn trace metals from the water supply, you really only need a tiny bit.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

So, Wax hosed a Kandra.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Superstring posted:

So, Wax hosed a Kandra.

What point are you making?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

flosofl posted:

What point are you making?

Brandon is a closet furry. :ssh:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Superstring posted:

So, Wax hosed a Kandra.

He basically hosed an animated corpse.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Torrannor posted:

He basically hosed an animated corpse.

Since Lessie was a Kandra from the start, there is no reason why the bones had to be human - they could equally have been a True Body.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

At least Brandon supports man on jelly marriage.

Jury's still out on jam.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
So I'm confused. If Lessie was Bleeder the entire time, was Bloody Tan just a whacked out human?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 21, 2015

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Subterfrugal posted:

So I'm confused. If Lessie was Bleeder the entire time, was Bloody Tan just a whacked out human?
Spoiler that! But yeah, Bloody Tan was mad - mad people can be influenced by Ruin, especially if he had a hemalurgic spike or two

mewse
May 2, 2006

I don't think bloody tan was anything supernatural, Lessie could have jerked into the path of the bullet to fake her death according to harmony's plan

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

mewse posted:

I don't think bloody tan was anything supernatural, Lessie could have jerked into the path of the bullet to fake her death according to harmony's plan

that also fits with harmony saying he didn't make her do anything he just pushed her really hard

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde

Subterfrugal posted:

Why isn't this spoilered?

I really should've stayed out of this until I finished Shadows of Self.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Perhaps someone with platinum should report that post? It's a really, really bad spoiler.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Torrannor posted:

Perhaps someone with platinum should report that post? It's a really, really bad spoiler.

Already reported, apparently.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

OAquinas posted:

Already reported, apparently.

Can't a mod come in and put spoiler tags on it? I mean there's spoilers and then there's spoilers that strip all the emotional impact from the reveal at the climax of the book.

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I reported it this morning when I saw Torrannor's post, pretty sad response time by the mods

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Superstring posted:

So, Wax hosed a Kandra.

Its a Sanderson story, they probably just blushed and touched eachother's hands a lot

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Shadows of Self debuted on #8 of the the Hardcover Fiction New York Times Bestseller List. Here's a nice little blog post from tor. com about it:

http://www.tor.com/2015/10/21/mistborn-novel-shadows-of-self-debuts-on-the-new-york-times-bestseller-list/

It includes this Bands of Mourning excerpt/spoiler:

Tor.com posted:

“Lord Ladrian, could another Feruchemist use your metalminds?”

“Of course not,” Wax said. “Everyone knows that.”

“Why?”

Yes, why? There has never been an answer why it is impossible to use another Ferruchemist's metalminds, and this probably means that it isn't impossible at all! Combine this with the knowledge what the Bands of Mourning are exactly... I'm so down with reliving Rashek's memories of the trek to the Well of Ascension, his murder of Alendi, taking up Preservations power, being tricked by Ruin, creating his Final Empire, etc. Maybe this is the answer to the question what happens when you compound copper. Perhaps you can really relive the memories as if you were there. The only problem is that none of the protagonists are copper Ferrings.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Well, based on the BoM description these are the lord ruler's metalminds. And you know how he had his atium bracers embedded in his body? Those were spikes, and you can use metalminds from a guy if you grab his power through hemalurgy

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tunicate posted:

Well, based on the BoM description these are the lord ruler's metalminds. And you know how he had his atium bracers embedded in his body? Those were spikes, and you can use metalminds from a guy if you grab his power through hemalurgy

I thought in the 1st trilogy, Sazed mentions something about how each Keeper had an obligation to fill their metal minds with information on whatever area of study they were tasked with. The implication being this would be something the other Keepers could access if needed (because Keepers aren't immortal). It's entirely possible I simply made an incorrect assumption, but I'm wondering if Sazed/Harmony limited Feruchemy when he ascended. So it may be limitation imposed by Harmony as opposed to an intrinsic limitation of Feruchemy.

Eh, the more I think about it, I'm probably misremembering/wrong about it. But I'll leave it here anyway.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

flosofl posted:

I thought in the 1st trilogy, Sazed mentions something about how each Keeper had an obligation to fill their metal minds with information on whatever area of study they were tasked with. The implication being this would be something the other Keepers could access if needed (because Keepers aren't immortal). It's entirely possible I simply made an incorrect assumption, but I'm wondering if Sazed/Harmony limited Feruchemy when he ascended. So it may be limitation imposed by Harmony as opposed to an intrinsic limitation of Feruchemy.

Eh, the more I think about it, I'm probably misremembering/wrong about it. But I'll leave it here anyway.

Pretty sure Sazed explicitly said People can't use each other's metalminds. Trying to do so basically meant you could tell something was there but you couldn't quite reach it.

However, a Twinborn might be able to burn the metalmind itself and access the information so perhaps that's what the quote is getting at? Sazed wouldn't have known or factored a twinborn in to his explanation back in the Mistborn book where he says metalminds are specific to the person.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

Pretty sure Sazed explicitly said People can't use each other's metalminds. Trying to do so basically meant you could tell something was there but you couldn't quite reach it.

Now that you bring it up, I definitely recall that.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

However, a Twinborn might be able to burn the metalmind itself and access the information so perhaps that's what the quote is getting at? Sazed wouldn't have known or factored a twinborn in to his explanation back in the Mistborn book where he says metalminds are specific to the person.

Dunno. I mean, Vin obviously can't burn a metalmind, so it seems like the identity-gating isn't just bypassed by using allomancy

but aluminum feruchemy is also capable of hacking identity-locks, so you can make universal metalminds. In theory, ones so universal you don't even need to be a feruchemist to tap them?!!

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Remember the prophecy of the hero of ages - Kwaan theorizes that the other people's coppermind memories of the prophecies were being altered to suggest that Ruin should be released from the Well of Ascension. Kwaan only remembers the true prophecies by ignoring the coppermind memories. If Ruin could gently caress with people's coppermind memories then it stands to reason that you could somehow use Hemalurgy to read those copperminds.

Since we now know that Hemalurgy involves stapling a piece of someone else's spirit onto yourself, it makes sense that doing so would attune you enough to that person to "unlock" their old copperminds (along with other feruchemy stores?)

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Subvisual Haze posted:

Remember the prophecy of the hero of ages - Kwaan theorizes that the other people's coppermind memories of the prophecies were being altered to suggest that Ruin should be released from the Well of Ascension. Kwaan only remembers the true prophecies by ignoring the coppermind memories. If Ruin could gently caress with people's coppermind memories then it stands to reason that you could somehow use Hemalurgy to read those copperminds.

Since we now know that Hemalurgy involves stapling a piece of someone else's spirit onto yourself, it makes sense that doing so would attune you enough to that person to "unlock" their old copperminds (along with other feruchemy stores?)

My pet theory is you can use someone else's metalminds if you kill them with a hemalurgic spike that steals that particular feruchemical power, because you're ripping off the bit of their soul that created the metalminds in the first place. The fact that Bleeder seemed to have quite a lot of speed built up (seriously, she uses speed for like half the book until she finally runs out) to me confirms that - she was using the dead feruchemists built up speed. Mind you, most of the book takes place over like one day so its maybe not that unusual.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Lobsterpillar posted:

My pet theory is you can use someone else's metalminds if you kill them with a hemalurgic spike that steals that particular feruchemical power, because you're ripping off the bit of their soul that created the metalminds in the first place. The fact that Bleeder seemed to have quite a lot of speed built up (seriously, she uses speed for like half the book until she finally runs out) to me confirms that - she was using the dead feruchemists built up speed. Mind you, most of the book takes place over like one day so its maybe not that unusual.

Yeah we've already seen examples of the Lord Ruler and others compounding Feruchemy and Allomancy to huge effect, while Vin and the Inquisitors have used Hemalurgy to boost an Allomancy power. It makes sense that there would be some way to use Hemalurgy and Feruchemy together.

Now as sort of interesting as this sounds, please Mr. Sanderson do not devote a 15 page block of text to how someone uses an energy transfer process between the 3 magics to create an infinite mana pool!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lobsterpillar posted:

That one's been confirmed.

Pong Daddy
Oct 12, 2012
So Tor has just released a flashback Dalinar chapter from Stormlight 3.

http://www.tor.com/2015/10/23/brandon-sanderson-reveals-a-dalinar-chapter-from-stormlight-archive-book-3/

Just the Blackthorn being the Blackthorn.

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010

Pong Daddy posted:

http://www.tor.com/2015/10/23/brandon-sanderson-reveals-a-dalinar-chapter-from-stormlight-archive-book-3/

Well you can see why Sadeas wanted him back.

I mean, Jesus.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Dikkfor posted:

Well you can see why Sadeas wanted him back.

I mean, Jesus.

That chapter is exactly what I'd have hoped it to be. Also the gear he used at that point really makes me wonder/hope for a later chapter where he kills a shardbearer without any shards of his own, since he likely would be doing it through sheer skill/Thrill unlike Kaladin.

Not A Hydroxyl Ion
Oct 10, 2007

Adventure!
Finished Shadows of Self a few days ago, after a re-read of Alloy of Law to refresh my memory of the characters. I actually enjoyed Alloy of Law a lot more this time around--when I read it post-release in 2011, I think I was a bit disappointed by its smaller scope, but I enjoyed the less epic nature of it this time around.

I enjoyed Shadows of Self, too, though I don't think I was blown away by too many moments. The ending revelation about Lessie was a great twist. I wonder if this was Sanderson's original intent when writing Alloy of Law... It seems like Wax will be able to properly grieve/get over Lessie now, and I'm interested to see how his relationship develops with Sterris. I can take or leave Marasi, for the most part. She's fine, but not an incredibly interesting character, I think.

I'm a pretty non-critical reader of genre fiction, and I love Sanderson's works, but I do have to make an extra effort to not find Wayne annoying... His personality is one thing, but the fact that a grown adult can't understand why "borrowing" things isn't okay means there must be something wrong with him. I don't know if Sanderson is consciously writing him this way, but I feel like he has to be somewhere on the autism spectrum.

Really getting spoiled by the January release date of Bands of Mourning.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Not A Hydroxyl Ion posted:

I'm a pretty non-critical reader of genre fiction, and I love Sanderson's works, but I do have to make an extra effort to not find Wayne annoying... His personality is one thing, but the fact that a grown adult can't understand why "borrowing" things isn't okay means there must be something wrong with him. I don't know if Sanderson is consciously writing him this way, but I feel like he has to be somewhere on the autism spectrum.

I understand that Wayne's trading is supposed to be impish and a counterpoint to Wax's steadfast cop role but Sanderson misstepped with it a couple times, IIRC Wayne boosts some nobleman's ornate pocket watch? I just remember at least one of his trades crossed the line from impish to mean spirited thievery. Then the scene where Wayne remixes everyone's drinks into cocktails, it did feel like Sanderson was describing an alien planet (someone else in this thread mentioned Sanderson's odd writing about liquor but I think the convo was overshadowed by the religious debate).

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Pong Daddy posted:

That is just jizzworthy. Can't wait for the next book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pong Daddy posted:

Dear lord, Dalinar was a monster when he was younger. Much more brutal than I was expecting.