Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

neonbregna posted:

So concierge vip is 10k I guess?

There were three concierge levels, 1k, then maybe 5k & 10k, I forget the exact level limits as it wasn't widely discussed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

AP posted:

If you've going to do that, send them a message saying so, if they see it in time they'll probably back down and it will save you :effort:

I updated the ticket with that information, yes.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Kakarot posted:

lol, when I was in Aus I went to one and was amazed it had its own food court

Yeah where everything tastes like it was made 15 years ago and was heated in plastic bags just for you.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

AP posted:

There were three concierge levels, 1k, then maybe 5k & 10k, I forget the exact level limits as it wasn't widely discussed.

I love that a $1k whale is considered small fry amongst Star Citizen backers.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Justin Tyme posted:

A long time ago I read that they actually could license it through a deal they made with Crytek and that their in-house name for it is StarEngine

I'm guessing the most they can do is license their own modified portions out, and even then that's unlikely. No engine developer in their right mind would let you buy a license for their source that would let you freely re-license it to others. It basically undermines their entire business. Why would I buy a license from CryTek when I can get the same thing from Chris Roberts's Discount Starship Emporium and CryEngine License Dealership for cheaper?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Is there anyone left at Crytek at this point?

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!

SelenicMartian posted:

I don't think the development team is there, just the guys who sell the license out and answer the phones.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Professor Cthulhu posted:

Buy the premium version instead for $125

You can additionally get the concept design for the full interior from me for mere $500.

Original design, don't steal.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

SelenicMartian posted:

what happened to Crytek anyway?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Octopode posted:

I'm guessing the most they can do is license their own modified portions out, and even then that's unlikely. No engine developer in their right mind would let you buy a license for their source that would let you freely re-license it to others. It basically undermines their entire business. Why would I buy a license from CryTek when I can get the same thing from Chris Roberts's Discount Starship Emporium and CryEngine License Dealership for cheaper?

As a business model, it has worked astonishingly well for D&D3.5 and Pathfinder's rule systems- open source the whole basis and then require for-profit adventures to pay you a cut. Can't comment on game engines though.
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.
Okay so apparently when you have no actual game you resort to playing with pictures. This is just sad.

https://storify.com/public/templates/card/index.html?src=//storify.com/ColMovers/twitter-rp-part-2-the-dangers-of-heading-into-vega

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Octopode posted:

Why would I buy a license from CryTek when I can get the same thing from Chris Roberts's Discount Starship Emporium and CryEngine License Dealership for cheaper?

Simple you want a non pasta option.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Olesh posted:

Crock pot beef stew is incredibly forgiving. You can leave out the potatoes, or the onions, or add additional vegetables, and it'll almost certainly turn out fine. If you like parsnips, gently caress it, add parsnips. Want red onions instead of white? gently caress it, it's your stew. Don't feel like browning anything? Screw it, it'll be fine.

The secret is that if you left out all of the seasonings besides the salt and pepper, didn't brown anything, and didn't thicken it up, you'd still end up with something that tastes pretty okay.

Beef stew in general is pretty forgiving. In a lot of ways it's like the mushroom in my shower - no matter what disgusting liquids I spray on it, every day it's still there, not judging me.

I tend to tone down the onions in mine, thicken with a roux and run with parsnips, lots of potatoes and beets, and a good helping of red wine (which technically makes it some stupid French word but let's be real, it's beef stew) and cook mine in a cast iron dutch oven, but as long as you let it go for long enough it's really really hard to screw one up.

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 20, 2015

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
I haven't seen anything remotely resembling a capital ship

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otptS-eOXvI

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Man all these refund shenanigans are giving me drama-envy. I should ask for one just to see if they try to screw me.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Lol so this is on the frontpage on imgur today: http://imgur.com/gallery/ef17q

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Palpek posted:

You can additionally get the concept design for the full interior from me for mere $500.

Original design, don't steal.

Pocket carrier version with included shuttle craft. $1125

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Octopode posted:

I've got one already, thanks.
I really don't understand what you see in the game that's keeping you invested in it at this point .

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Agrajag posted:

what happened to Crytek anyway?

A series of poo poo games caused them to downsize heavily and no one uses their tech anymore because there are better options means they just dont have the cash flow to keep working and being competitive.

Baba Ganoush
Oct 12, 2014
Dinosaur Gum
Normally when people get hyped for an MMO and it releases but is a huge disappointment it only results in forum rage.

In Star Citizen's case... when it's announced that everyone was scammed / it's bankrupt / whatever and it's not coming out, there will be a lot of rage but people are going to kill themselves also

So the question is: How many SC backers will die?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Baba Ganoush posted:

Normally when people get hyped for an MMO and it releases but is a huge disappointment it only results in forum rage.

In Star Citizen's case... when it's announced that everyone was scammed / it's bankrupt / whatever and it's not coming out, there will be a lot of rage but people are going to kill themselves also

So the question is: How many SC backers will die?

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Professor Cthulhu posted:

Buy the premium version instead for $125

Order now and receive right for upgrade to lti version

in picture is ingame screenshot of the craft

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Bootcha posted:

Momentary SC chat diversion.
WHY THE gently caress ARE YOU SPENDING MY MONEY ON EVEN MORE USELESS poo poo WELL PAST $90 MILLION

Because the current economic model of the company is to rely on cash flow coming from the "sale" of virtual things that the company promises will be better virtual things in a future game environment. Therefore the company has a different set of priorities than you think they should have.

quote:

HOW ABOUT SPENDING MONEY ON A loving PHYSICS PROGRAMMER

Do you know how the video game industry works!? Programmers, of any type, eat through HR budgets; and since the business model is pretty virtual things promised to be "better virtual things" in the vague "future," the company has not reached the development stage on this "title" where a physics program is either needed, or an economical investment.

quote:

OR A 401K INVESTMENT FOR YOUR EMPLOYEES

Do you know how capitalism works!? The most costly resource is investment in "human capital" or "human resources." Since this is the most costly investment for a company, it is also the most efficient place to control costs. Given this, and since the socio-economic system is predicated on treating human beings like abstracted replaceable "capital," cost avoidance profit is best maximized by compensating employees as little as possible.

Duh.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 20, 2015

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Dark Off posted:

Order now and receive right for upgrade to lti version

in picture is ingame screenshot of the craft

Thread delivers once again.

BluestreakBTHR
Oct 2, 2015

Fucking Star Citizen True Believers are passive-aggressive douchebags. Sorry if I have the ability to use my critical thinking skills. I didn't drink the Kool-Aid, motherfuckers.

That's me trying way too hard to fit in here. Please accept me, I need validation. I'm very depressed.
Grimey Drawer

Palpek posted:

I reported that image as spam on imgur.
gently caress that guy for adding his referral code in there.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/TheKevinDent/status/656543456295321600

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Amarcarts posted:

I haven't seen anything remotely resembling a capital ship

use your imagination

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

we are at war

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

BluestreakBTHR posted:

I reported that image as spam on imgur.
gently caress that guy for adding his referral code in there.

You're a really angry person

I get that SC fans made you and it must hurt once they turned

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kimsemus posted:

Y'all see that new space game on Steam, Rebel Galaxy? Looks like a fun space game similar to SC, except done, and good. And playable. And released.

It's a very fun game if you enjoy EVE/Elite in the sense you are able to wander around and do silly poo poo. However unlike those games, its less "super sperg" focused and is arcadey.

It's a good mix between those two aspects with a killer soundtrack.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Nation posted:

we are at war

This is Smart's war. We are just the observers enjoying the show.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.

Palpek posted:

I love it because they are looking for people to spend as much money as they did because deep down they know the dream is a lie.

The problem is that anybody remotely close to sanity who hasn't heard about the game yet sees that page and says to themselves: "Wow that sounds pretty cool. If it's any good I'd definitely drop $60 bucks on it when it comes out, or maybe wait until it's $40 on Steam sale a year or so after it comes out."

BluestreakBTHR
Oct 2, 2015

Fucking Star Citizen True Believers are passive-aggressive douchebags. Sorry if I have the ability to use my critical thinking skills. I didn't drink the Kool-Aid, motherfuckers.

That's me trying way too hard to fit in here. Please accept me, I need validation. I'm very depressed.
Grimey Drawer

Gerbil_Pen posted:

You're a really angry person

I get that SC fans made you and it must hurt once they turned

Made me? Not really.
My fives of listeners were very rarely from the community, and those that are, are what I'd consider friends.
When I created the station, I used SC as a unifying concept to pitch the idea to an existing player base. It was targeted marketing. I could focus on one small group, rather than try to advertise to a nebulous internet.

bossfight
Feb 16, 2013

Octopode posted:

It depends on the licensing terms. Some companies will in fact let you license the engine and full rights to source code redistribution and profiteering. This usually comes at a high upfront price but can be and has been done in cases where companies wanted to use the subject engine as a basis to split off completely and evolve the tech on their own. I don't think CIG has done this, but I wouldn't be surprised if they have a contract that allows them to easily amend their terms for it in the future. Keep in mind CIG has promised modding support. If they plan to honor that completely, they will need to release some of their internal tools to the public in some form or other eventually. Considering how extensively they've altered CryEngine and will likely continue to do so, they will probably need full rights to engine redistribution on some level. For profit? Perhaps not but its not a stretch to think they could get that too.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh also EVE has a sorta creepy, sorta cool event going on at the moment. It's essentially the first time in the 6 years I've played they did a semi-halloween related thing during this time of year.

Roleplay news cast - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qXrOLO7NwU

Basically the Blood Raiders are a super religious sect of humans (from the Amarr empire) that for whatever reason worship using blood sacrifices of the people they capture.

Maybe Star Citizen will mimic this, but instead of in-game blood suckers it'll just be CIG admitting they've been leeching off their community for years in a non-symbiotic manner.

Edit - Note: CCP said X feature would be out at Y date and actually, you know, delivered it.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 20, 2015

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

Snazzy Frocks posted:

This is Smart's war. We are just the observers enjoying the show.

we need to establish a line of defence

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Nation posted:

we need to establish a line of defence

We're gonna need like five, maybe six guys, tops. And an airlock.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Has CIG followed up on any of their very scary LEGAL ACCUSATIONS they made at the escapist yet.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
Recipe. What do you mean "measurements" and "timings"?

Steak

Nice bits of Fillet Steak
Onion
Mushrooms
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Double Cream
Really poo poo Brandy

Chop the onion finely, then fry in some oil until brown.

Add the finely chopped mushrooms, do similar.

Add the steaks, season the steak, then brown one side, then flip, season again, and brown the other. Cook steak to your preference.

When the steak is cooked, add a little bit of double cream, and a smidgen of the really poo poo brandy to make a sauce of the oil/steak-juice/onion mushroom stuff

Ratatouille

Courgettes
Red Peppers
Mushrooms
Tomatoes
Cheddar Cheese
Sunflower Oil

Chop all the veg/fruit finely and put in a pyrex dish in layers.

Add some sunflower oil on top.

Grate cheese, sprinkle on top, and bake in oven for a bit, until cheese has caramelized

Lyonnaise Potatoes

Potatoes
Milk
Butter

Chop the potatoes in to thin slices like very chunky crisps and put in a large pyrex dish. Season them.

Put the milk and a knob of butter in a pyrex jug in the microwave for a while. Make sure it doesn't boil over.

Pour this mixture over the potatoes. Repeatedly heat the large pyrex dish in microwave until all the liquid has boiled away. Again, watch out for it boiling over.

Carrots and Broccoli.

gently caress sake, just peel, chop it up, season it and boil it. Christ, you know how to boil vegetables, goddamn.

Shove all this on a plate, it's really nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Has CIG followed up on any of their very scary LEGAL ACCUSATIONS they made at the escapist yet.

Obviously. They're just very good with lawyers and are doing it quietly. The Escapist is already folding under the weight of Chris and Ben's genius.

Any day now.

• Locked thread