Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Has CIG followed up on any of their very scary LEGAL ACCUSATIONS they made at the escapist yet.

quote:

It's highly doubtful anything will come to light until it's done with, as the most you'll find is the legal fillings once made.

Note that CiG won't necessarily file suit immediately, as they likely are still building their case.

quote:

Exactly. They are likely talking by proxy through their lawyers and working stuff out. One side will propose more than they hope to achieve and the other will negotiate them down and vice versa. Having the masses of the Internet take that kind of stuff way out context and proportion would be very likely and ultimately detrimental to reaching a civilized conclusion. It will likely be settled without a suit even being filed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Has CIG followed up on any of their very scary LEGAL ACCUSATIONS they made at the escapist yet.

There has been no lawsuit filed. Most white knights are saying that CIG are preparing one, while at the same time negotiating with the Escapist - and that is the reason for the Escapist not having another article on CIG out yet.

CIG is winning this..massively.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So it's been 12 work days and my money still hasn't materialized :( Wrote a letter asking where my money is. I didn't pay through paypal so I can't do a chargeback :/

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

So the lawsuit is coming through the pipeline right now, they just, uh, can't uh give us a date on when it will happen right now.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

So it's been 12 work days and my money still hasn't materialized :( Wrote a letter asking where my money is. I didn't pay through paypal so I can't do a chargeback :/

Talk with your bank?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

bossfight posted:

It depends on the licensing terms. Some companies will in fact let you license the engine and full rights to source code redistribution and profiteering. This usually comes at a high upfront price but can be and has been done in cases where companies wanted to use the subject engine as a basis to split off completely and evolve the tech on their own. I don't think CIG has done this, but I wouldn't be surprised if they have a contract that allows them to easily amend their terms for it in the future. Keep in mind CIG has promised modding support. If they plan to honor that completely, they will need to release some of their internal tools to the public in some form or other eventually. Considering how extensively they've altered CryEngine and will likely continue to do so, they will probably need full rights to engine redistribution on some level. For profit? Perhaps not but its not a stretch to think they could get that too.

Someone said recently, it might have been Derek, that the original demo level was put together with Crytek's help. I seem to remember that one of the main Crytek devs joined F42 and at the time they said he helped with the original demo, so it's possible. It might have made sense for Crytek at the time to help, get a licensing deal out of and increase awareness of their engine. Dunno how things stand now with so many Crytek staff joining F42 Frankfurt, I think Smart said Crytek were pissed about that. I guess it's all possible as Chris Roberts does appear to have a business track record of falling out with people.

There's a video answer from Chris Roberts saying they have full rights to the code/engine, as long as it's used for Star Citizen only.

AP fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 20, 2015

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

Dark Off posted:

Order now and receive right for upgrade to lti version

in picture is ingame screenshot of the craft

haha holy poo poo

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dark Off posted:

lol

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Dark Off posted:

hahaha

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?

Dark Off posted:

Please link us the blend file so we can do a video ad for it.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

So the lawsuit is coming through the pipeline right now, they just, uh, can't uh give us a date on when it will happen right now.

There's some blockers they need to handle. Should be about two weeks.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Palpek posted:

You can additionally get the concept design for the full interior from me for mere $500.

Original design, don't steal.

But you both stole it from me :(

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Legal module is no longer it's own thing and has been merged into the baby pu.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Dark Off posted:

Oh Christ what have I done.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Dark Off posted:

I mean it looks gorgeous, but I think we all want to know about the mechanics. It's going to be invisible right? And mine everything instantly? Can I use it as a mobile bakery? What about other ridiculous gameplay mechanics that I'm going to dream up on the spot? Basically, in summation, is this ship going to be perfect for me regardless of what stupid bullshit I think I'm going to be able to use it for?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Sedisp posted:

Legal module is no longer it's own thing and has been merged into the baby pu.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Star Citizen: Merge Everything into the Poo

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

for a group of people with unshakeable faith in their project, Star Citizens sure do spend a lot of time trying to get Derek Smart and other dissenters banned from poo poo

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
Well my original ms paint ship had teeth for biting and 4 guns and 2 rocket pods for shooting with it was going to be a heavy fighter.

Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014
General reminder - If you sold a ship on the grey market with your purchased funds, do not chargeback CIG, they will pull the ships from your client and they will rightfully come looking for you.

PhallicPhalanges
Jun 9, 2015

Her navel is all time musky... Bt look at her face... Her face makes my ROD wakes

Unfunny Poster posted:

There's some blockers they need to handle. Should be about two weeks.

Well the paragraphs are made of sentences in a particular order, which are made of words in specific order, which are made of letters in a certain order... So you can see how this all adds up to around two more weeks of development time minimum.

Vodkahead
Jun 4, 2007

Szcwczuk posted:

Well my original ms paint ship had teeth for biting and 4 guns and 2 rocket pods for shooting with it was going to be a heavy fighter.

But is it a heavy fighter with a drinks dispenser? This is important.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Szcwczuk posted:

Okay, but does it have any cargo space? What about optional oven modules? The Heavy Fighter market is pretty saturated, what sort of bakery-type features can we expect to set this beauty apart? I'm obviously going to buy one, I just want to make sure the additional 90 kabillion dollars I'm going to spend on it is worth it, and isn't going to just be the same thing as one of my other ships.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Dark Off posted:

I originally read this on mobile and didn't see what the texture was and oh man this thread continues to deliver.

If they're still supporting SC in 2015 the poo poo eating they're doing has nothing to do with grins.

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 20, 2015

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Palpek posted:

Lol so this is on the frontpage on imgur today: http://imgur.com/gallery/ef17q

Over 6000 upvotes yet every single comment is "you're a shill, go away"

lol

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
Jared "Disco Lando" Huckaby takes an absolute age to say "Derek Smart, Derek Smart, Derek Smart" and "Don't feed the troll" in an answer to a question that he wanted the interviewer to ask

Somebody linked this on cult central.

"the only way to defeat them is by not giving them what they want, that means not talking about it"

He says, while talking about it.

AP fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 20, 2015

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Soothing Vapors posted:

for a group of people with unshakeable faith in their project, Star Citizens sure do spend a lot of time trying to get Derek Smart and other dissenters banned from poo poo

For a group of people who dislike "bullies" and "harassment", they sure seem really OK with doing it themselves.

BluestreakBTHR
Oct 2, 2015

Fucking Star Citizen True Believers are passive-aggressive douchebags. Sorry if I have the ability to use my critical thinking skills. I didn't drink the Kool-Aid, motherfuckers.

That's me trying way too hard to fit in here. Please accept me, I need validation. I'm very depressed.
Grimey Drawer

Unfunny Poster posted:

For a group of people who dislike "bullies" and "harassment", they sure seem really OK with doing it themselves.

You imply logic where there truly is none.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Octopode posted:

I still remain confident they're going to put something out--most likely just before their Christmas break as that seems to be their major milestone release target date for years past, but software estimation remains a Hard Problem, and things inevitably go wrong, which could make things interesting for CIG given their dwindling number of remaining concept ships with which to buoy that funding.

How many are left that will be new?

I know they'll do sales as ships become hanger/flyable.

bossfight
Feb 16, 2013

Iron Tusk posted:

How many are left that will be new?

I know they'll do sales as ships become hanger/flyable.

Remember that ships aren't the end of it. After ships, they will start selling things to wear, handheld weapons, more hangar gear, the whole kit kaboodle for character/inventory customization. the FPS portion of the game WILL be delivered because they require it for future fund milking.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Beet Wagon posted:

Okay, but does it have any cargo space? What about optional oven modules? The Heavy Fighter market is pretty saturated, what sort of bakery-type features can we expect to set this beauty apart? I'm obviously going to buy one, I just want to make sure the additional 90 kabillion dollars I'm going to spend on it is worth it, and isn't going to just be the same thing as one of my other ships.

Beet Wagon posted:

Never mind I don't want to do this anymore, this is stupid and I hate it.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If he gets banned from Twitter, can't he just make a new account?

BluestreakBTHR
Oct 2, 2015

Fucking Star Citizen True Believers are passive-aggressive douchebags. Sorry if I have the ability to use my critical thinking skills. I didn't drink the Kool-Aid, motherfuckers.

That's me trying way too hard to fit in here. Please accept me, I need validation. I'm very depressed.
Grimey Drawer

Szcwczuk posted:

Never mind I don't want to do this anymore, this is stupid and I hate it.

I'll take Former CIG Employee heard saying this on his way out for $300, Alex.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Iron Tusk posted:

If he gets banned from Twitter, can't he just make a new account?

Yes. Just like a new Reddit account.

BluestreakBTHR
Oct 2, 2015

Grimey Drawer

AP posted:

Jared "Disco Lando" Huckaby takes an absolute age to say "Derek Smart, Derek Smart, Derek Smart" and "Don't feed the troll" in an answer to a question that he wanted the interviewer to ask

"the only way to defeat them is by not giving them what they want, that means not talking about it"

Most current CIG employees have no business being interviewed, or being on camera. That's what a PR Staff is supposed to be for.

Edit- after I realized people like Ben either couldn't, or wasn't able to answer real questions, I stopped inviting them on my show.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

ShredsYouSay posted:

Please link us the blend file so we can do a video ad for it.

http://www.pasteall.org/blend/38697
Addet some hooks for lovely animation manipulation

Beet Wagon posted:

Vodkahead posted:

But is it a heavy fighter with a drinks dispenser? This is important.

Beet Wagon posted:

I mean it looks gorgeous, but I think we all want to know about the mechanics. It's going to be invisible right? And mine everything instantly? Can I use it as a mobile bakery? What about other ridiculous gameplay mechanics that I'm going to dream up on the spot? Basically, in summation, is this ship going to be perfect for me regardless of what stupid bullshit I think I'm going to be able to use it for?

Answer to all in above is yes. But that is not all it can do
Thanks to game engine flexibility it can morph into all kinds of ships. it uses this to blend in the crowd of ships tearing em all apart from inside
Here is example of morph capacity of the ship

Dark Off fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 20, 2015

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

AP posted:

"The purpose of a troll is to change the way you would normally act and thus the only way to combat a troll is to change the way we would normally operate a forums and ban all chat about the troll!"

:psyduck:

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I put in a refund request to see what I'd get. After nearly a month of back and forth, the best they offered was ~10% of what I had on account. Their reasoning was that the rest of the credits were either melted or attached to traded ships. I explained that it didn't matter since I had actually spent more cash than what I had remaining in credits regardless of how many trades I made.

Apparently my hundreds of trades was their way of saying too bad... Each dollar spent needed to be linked to an un-melted ship. Also, I asked if they could make my ships trade-able, and they said no, they don't condone the resale of ship jpgs.

At this point their policy seems clear. Obviously that all changes once you file a chargeback.

Jethro makes a good point though. If you have sold any ship ever to someone, and then do a chargeback, CIG will likely link your funds to the sold ship and pull it ... Or some credit equivalent from your customer. They will also throw around the words fraud. Then you will have people filing charge backs on you as well.

It's a convenient mess.

Gerbil_Pen fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 20, 2015

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

bossfight posted:

Remember that ships aren't the end of it. After ships, they will start selling things to wear, handheld weapons, more hangar gear, the whole kit kaboodle for character/inventory customization. the FPS portion of the game WILL be delivered because they require it for future fund milking.

They recently mentioned planet-side apartments / offices.

Gerbil_Pen fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 20, 2015

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I imagine that they didn't link a hidden official policy or something, as this is something they've made up.

I'm curious how it links into the week from now deadline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

gee I wonder why CIG loves prefers a hands off approach to the gray market.

• Locked thread