Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Fatherdog or Yuns, what do you know about johnathon hellwig? I've just started training under him at ama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dangersim posted:

Fatherdog or Yuns, what do you know about johnathon hellwig? I've just started training under him at ama.

You've inserted an extra H and an extra L, for one thing.

Helwig and I actually trained together for many years when we both got started in grappling; I was in his corner for his first professional fight. We have fundamental disagreements about politics and the career merits of Fedor Emelianenko, but he's an excellent grappler who's very talented at leglocks and chaining submissions together. He has an enviable work ethic and approaches teaching with the same seriousness he approached fight training. You might find him a little overserious if you're used to a more casual class environment, but if you approach training with that in mind you'll get plenty out of it.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I'm actually at that strip mall where the school is located all the time and have dropped by to observe the school. Seems fine but I haven't taken the class. I would obviously trust fatherdog on the issue.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

fatherdog posted:

You've inserted an extra H and an extra L, for one thing.

Helwig and I actually trained together for many years when we both got started in grappling; I was in his corner for his first professional fight. We have fundamental disagreements about politics and the career merits of Fedor Emelianenko, but he's an excellent grappler who's very talented at leglocks and chaining submissions together. He has an enviable work ethic and approaches teaching with the same seriousness he approached fight training. You might find him a little overserious if you're used to a more casual class environment, but if you approach training with that in mind you'll get plenty out of it.

Yeah today we actually were doing a leg lock chain. I did come from a very relaxed school, but I actually kind of enjoyed his "no talking, just train" method because I know just getting down to work is the best way to get better.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Yuns posted:

I'm actually at that strip mall where the school is located all the time and have dropped by to observe the school. Seems fine but I haven't taken the class. I would obviously trust fatherdog on the issue.

Why in the world are you regularly at a strip mall in whippany?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
My local gun shop is there. If you see a dude wandering around in a classic Korean Zombie t-shirt with mangled ears who isn't heading into AMA then that's me.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Been training for 9 years and my ears aren't mangled at all :(

Don't get me wrong in reality it's probably a blessing but I wish I had a little just so I could go to client meetings and they would... know.

On a more frustrating front: 9 years still a purple belt. I deserve it too, maybe just bust me down to high blue given there are some whom I can't handle. It gets annoying going from mat rat to part timer. Traveling for work has consequences.

I'm also realizing the distinct difference in quality of curriculum between my old home gym and others As I attend various schools. Not so much in individual teachers but schools with a plan vs "just roll and oh here's a thing".

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Xguard86 posted:

I'm also realizing the distinct difference in quality of curriculum between my old home gym and others As I attend various schools. Not so much in individual teachers but schools with a plan vs "just roll and oh here's a thing".

However much people bitch about Gracie Barra (and they do, and often deservedly so) the consistent curriculum for lower belts is a really good thing for development.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

fatherdog posted:

However much people bitch about Gracie Barra (and they do, and often deservedly so) the consistent curriculum for lower belts is a really good thing for development.

Agree. I actually went to purple under a guy with an extremely regimented curriculum. People (and me) bitched about it being too basic and repetitive. When I started traveling, I attended a similar gym and realized how much faster I was growing before moving to a more chaotic environment. Felt really thankful I had that run because I got further in less time, even if it was a grind sometimes.

I think "good teaching" is actually more about a process than what you do in a single lesson.

Now I'm training with a guy who's really consistent with his themes and focus. It's revolutionizing my game.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 20, 2015

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
what is considered a normal frequency for visiting one's local gun shop

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

david carmichael posted:

what is considered a normal frequency for visiting one's local gun shop

If you actually go to a range regularly to practice (which you should if you plan on owning guns for any reason other than display) you usually have to restock ammo on the reg

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

Agree. I actually went to purple under a guy with an extremely regimented curriculum. People (and me) bitched about it being too basic and repetitive. When I started traveling, I attended a similar gym and realized how much faster I was growing before moving to a more chaotic environment. Felt really thankful I had that run because I got further in less time, even if it was a grind sometimes.

I think "good teaching" is actually more about a process than what you do in a single lesson.

Now I'm training with a guy who's really consistent with his themes and focus. It's revolutionizing my game.

Are you still around DFW?

That sounds a lot like my coach. Does he say things like "Palm hands face to you" or "is not wrong, is different?"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Xguard86 posted:

I'm in a pretty "relaxed" "here's a demo, do it 5 times, then go roll" place. Is there any way that I could realistically impose a curriculum on myself, between books, personal practice, and asking questions of the instructors? Or does it not work that way?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

CommonShore posted:

I'm in a pretty "relaxed" "here's a demo, do it 5 times, then go roll" place. Is there any way that I could realistically impose a curriculum on myself, between books, personal practice, and asking questions of the instructors? Or does it not work that way?

I think you could. And to a certain extent everyone is responsible for their own training so you should have some idea. But are the things being shown consistent with each other? Do you see the techniques multiple times a week? If yes I think you're ok. It's the hodgepodge that you see for 30 minutes and never again that I am talking about.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Xguard86 posted:

I think you could. And to a certain extent everyone is responsible for their own training so you should have some idea. But are the things being shown consistent with each other? Do you see the techniques multiple times a week? If yes I think you're ok. It's the hodgepodge that you see for 30 minutes and never again that I am talking about.

Oh yeah we see things over again. I think I've done arm bars and gichokes from half mount four times since the end of August. They're consistent with each other too, at least within any given class. What we get at the main class isn't always consistent with what we get at the ad hoc off-day class for crazy people who can't get enough BJJ.

I'd just like to see a list of stuff that I should learn/practice before moving on to another list of stuff.

I just googled "Gracie barra curriculum." I'm a dumbass.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

Xguard86 posted:

I didn't realize how helpful this was until I started attending a second gym. At first I was frustrated that every day in a week we'd be covering starting from the same position - for example, everything one week would start off an inside control to single leg setup. Then I tried it in rolling the next week and realized that I was nailing the takedown every single time because I'd put in close to a thousand reps by that point.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Xguard86 posted:

On a more frustrating front: 9 years still a purple belt.

6 year blue belt, still deserve it

CommonShore posted:

I think I've learned more this way than I have from most of my instructors, but my city doesn't have particularly good BJJ. My first school was run by a black belt who had a decent curriculum but didn't care about anybody below purple, when I decided I didn't like that place I switched to a school run by a purple. He was very good at teaching the stuff in his own game but he didn't go outside it very often. My current instructor has an interesting concept-based approach to teaching which I'm enjoying a lot, and he spends a lot of time 1-on-1 troubleshooting things with students, which is really cool. But before him, I was largely imposing my own curriculum on myself. It had some great benefits but there are drawbacks too, sometimes I would misdiagnose a problem I was having and spend a couple of months drilling things after class which in retrospect didn't help at all. Other times, when I successfully diagnosed my problems, I felt like I was improving at a great rate.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Xguard86 posted:

On a more frustrating front: 9 years still a purple belt.

:hfive: Just got my purple last year, started training in 2007.
I've switched clubs 3 times because of work-related moves which doesn't help. But also I think I just don't take it seriously enough to get promoted consistently.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Broke my sinuses in two places because a dude from another club felt like he had something to prove during yaku soku geiko and pulled me like crazy while he was falling and that ended up with my face hitting the back of his head.

Out until xmas, poo poo sucks!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

At jits last night I subbed two people who I had never subbed before!

Also re: skin infections. I've started a conversation with an actual nurse on the topic. I'm getting lots of information. I might do an effort post on it soon, if people are interested.

Re: defense soap - she looked it up and at its claims and she says that literally any soap, at least one that is non-scented, could make all of the same claims.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

CommonShore posted:

At jits last night I subbed two people who I had never subbed before!

Also re: skin infections. I've started a conversation with an actual nurse on the topic. I'm getting lots of information. I might do an effort post on it soon, if people are interested.

Re: defense soap - she looked it up and at its claims and she says that literally any soap, at least one that is non-scented, could make all of the same claims.

fatherdog posted:

Don't remember where I first read this (possibly this thread!) but relatedly -

http://bjiujitsu.blogspot.com/2011/09/microbiologists-take-on-bjj.html

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Neat - thanks. The nurse had a few things to add to that about the effectiveness of specific cleaning agents and the process of prevention. She works less from a "bacterial researcher" perspective and more from a "how do we keep patients from getting medicine-resistant infections and dying" perspective, so I'll probably still do the effort post, but I'll incorporate information from that article as well. My nurse friend just also offered to get a doctor to review what I end up writing, too.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

KingColliwog posted:

Broke my sinuses in two places because a dude from another club felt like he had something to prove during yaku soku geiko and pulled me like crazy while he was falling and that ended up with my face hitting the back of his head.

Out until xmas, poo poo sucks!

I hope everyone else went extra hard on him for the rest of the day. gently caress gym warriors.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

fatherdog posted:

Yeah, that's the one thing I miss about Gracie Barra. I wish my current school offered a fundamentals class that just cycled through the basics and drills.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Also, get hype. College wrestling starts up in a couple of weeks. Here's a bunch of preseason rankings
Intermat Preseason Rankings
FloWrestling Preseason Rankings
Amateur Wrestling News
The Open Mat

The first big tournament of the season is the Vegas Invitational December 4th-5th, but there are lots of opens, duals, and team dual tourneys in November.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I hope everyone else went extra hard on him for the rest of the day. gently caress gym warriors.

I doubt it since he was big and there were only a few people that night, most of them being lower belts (only 1 black belt and I was the only brown other than him). Doubt anyone could have done much, but I know the coach was on is case when I left (he was being rough with a white belt minutes after breaking my face). Anyway I wouldn't know since I left in the worst pain I've ever felt 5 minutes later. Breaking your face is no fun. Luckily, after a day spent in the hospital and receiving a CT scan of my whole head doctors decided I didn't need surgery. So, so, so happy I live in Canada and didn't need to spend thousands of $$$. Still can't wait to go back to judo though!

The worst thing is I didn't want to do anything with him since he behaved like a guy that has something to prove (drilled way too hard on some newbies, slight arguments on how to do stuff with the coach, etc.) and since he had 50+ lbs on me and a few inches I thought this could mean I'd get injured. Didn't trust my instinct and deeply regret it. The fact that he felt like he had to avoid falling and "win" in a technique drill pisses me off so bad. If it happened during a randori I'd say well things happen and sometime in the heat of the moment you do something stupid. But the way it happened is so loving dumb

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 21, 2015

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

KingColliwog posted:

I doubt it since he was big and there were only a few people that night, most of them being lower belts (only 1 black belt and I was the only brown other than him). Doubt anyone could have done much, but I know the coach was on is case when I left (he was being rough with a white belt minutes after breaking my face). Anyway I wouldn't know since I left in the worst pain I've ever felt 5 minutes later. Breaking your face is no fun. Luckily, after a day spent in the hospital and receiving a CT scan of my whole head doctors decided I didn't need surgery. So, so, so happy I live in Canada and didn't need to spend thousands of $$$. Still can't wait to go back to judo though!

The worst thing is I didn't want to do anything with him since he behaved like a guy that has something to prove (drilled way too hard on some newbies, slight arguments on how to do stuff with the coach, etc.) and since he had 50+ lbs on me and a few inches I thought this could mean I'd get injured. Didn't trust my instinct and deeply regret it. The fact that he felt like he had to avoid falling and "win" in a technique drill pisses me off so bad. If it happened during a randori I'd say well things happen and sometime in the heat of the moment you do something stupid. But the way it happened is so loving dumb

Real sorry about that stuff man. Knowing you live in montreal and doing bjj I was wondering where you train? Take it easy with the sinuses man. i hope you're gonna be able to breathe normally after. I had a hard time pre surgery.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Odddzy posted:

Real sorry about that stuff man. Knowing you live in montreal and doing bjj I was wondering where you train? Take it easy with the sinuses man. i hope you're gonna be able to breathe normally after. I had a hard time pre surgery.

I'm in Quebec City and do mostly judo, but some BJJ at with BJJ Québec with is affiliated with BTT canada.

The pain is really faint now and I think i'll be able to breathe fine once all the blood comes out. Can't blow my nose for 3 weeks so it's hard to tell. Right side is still perfectly fine so there's that!

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Don't usually get to do standup but yesterday at lunch class it was only me, a purple belt who was a collegiate wrestler, and a 6'4" ex-Marine white belt so we had the space to do 5-minute round circuits. My body hurts.

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

Thoguh posted:

Also, get hype. College wrestling starts up in a couple of weeks. Here's a bunch of preseason rankings
Intermat Preseason Rankings
FloWrestling Preseason Rankings
Amateur Wrestling News
The Open Mat

The first big tournament of the season is the Vegas Invitational December 4th-5th, but there are lots of opens, duals, and team dual tourneys in November.

I can't believe Mark Hall is still in high school.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

KingColliwog posted:

I'm in Quebec City and do mostly judo, but some BJJ at with BJJ Québec with is affiliated with BTT canada.

The pain is really faint now and I think i'll be able to breathe fine once all the blood comes out. Can't blow my nose for 3 weeks so it's hard to tell. Right side is still perfectly fine so there's that!

Once you heal up, if you ever visit montreal, I train at Bjj revolution, its a nice place. If you want to roll with other goons.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Just got back from the Eddie Cummings seminar which was pretty much the greatest thing ever. He launched into a story at the end about a brown (now black) belt at Renzo's and I thought for sure I was about to get a Yuns tale but alas it was someone else.

In addition to dropping so much practical and conceptual knowledge, he was just a super awesome and nice guy. Hung out for an hour after the seminar answering questions, then another hour after that rolling. Anthony Bourdaine's wife was there as his assistant and was super cool as well.

Man its not often things live up to expectations but this really did. Got some poo poo to work on now.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

What was the story he told about the brown belt?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Yuns posted:

can you also touch a bit on what he taught you during the seminar?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Yuns posted:

He'd been asked something along the lines of "what do you need to know to get better, and what is nice to have", so he started talking about a guy that does nothing but kimura and heel-hook, but he does those two things really well. The morale being that you don't NEED anything.

Odddzy posted:

can you also touch a bit on what he taught you during the seminar?

My main takeaways were how there is always a honeyhole entry if your entry to single-x is blocked (he uses the japanese names, Inside Sankaku(sp?) and Ashi Garami) , and how he finishes heel hooks (bridge vs twist, something Josh Hayden's also tried to drill into my fat head)

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Kekekela posted:

He'd been asked something along the lines of "what do you need to know to get better, and what is nice to have", so he started talking about a guy that does nothing but kimura and heel-hook, but he does those two things really well. The morale being that you don't NEED anything.
That's our buddy Sha. Dude is a monster and has been hitting kimuras on blackbelts since he was a blue.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
There are some Gracie University blue belt teen girls who are the head instructors a Gracie Academy gym in Fort Collins, CO. A few weeks ago they were outed as wearing their made-up style black belts for teaching BJJ, which incidentally are the same as BJJ black belts. Some photos of them rolling while wearing black belts are available online. Rener/Ryron made them stop wearing black belts with red bars on them while teaching.

Problem solved, until their dad started proposing challenge matches and calling out a local black belt, which evolved into proposing people come visit them for a class to see how good the girls are. A brown belt dropped in for their advanced class a couple of days ago and they called him a keyboard warrior and threatened to call the cops.

I've always figured Rener and Ryron were great ambassadors for BJJ even with their sleazy business stuff, but with these sort of incidents piling up for their affiliates, I'm starting to doubt that the good outweighs the bad.

Keg fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 26, 2015

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
While I agree with you that their schtick is irritating, how exactly is that Rener or Ryron's fault? According to the story the only thing they did was actually the right thing, i.e put a stop to the nonsense?

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
I'll never be in a position to run a BJJ affiliation and I don't love money as much as Rener/Ryron, but if the head instructors at some hypothetical affiliate of mine were misrepresenting their rank and the owner of the gym was challenging people on behalf of his children and refusing the let upper belts come check out a class, I'd probably drop them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
come down to my dojo and fight my children