Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Coolwhoami posted:

You mean cable?

If. You. Are. Like. Me. You. Like. Movies. And. TV. My. Favourite. Show. Is. Breaking. Bad. Maybe. You've. Heard. Of. It. It's. On. Streaming. Services. Online.

Beep boop I like things.

The CPC appears to have wiped the Netflix tax stuff off their site and removed that video from their Facebook. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

Predicting Bernard Lord announcing his leadership bid within the coming months.

#NewBrunswickProblems

quote:

May is really terrible, Dion would be far better

Dion, Garneau and Goodale are basically guaranteed ministry at this point. They're all well-established, intelligent, and reasonably well-liked.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Amgard posted:

Predicting Bernard Lord announcing his leadership bid within the coming months.

#NewBrunswickProblems

Dion, Garneau and Goodale are basically guaranteed ministry at this point. They're all well-established, intelligent, and reasonably well-liked.

Maybe they can make Scott Brison a minister and he can do something about unpaid internships in Canada :unsmith:

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Also if AV passes the cons are amazingly hosed.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I was looking through a few ridings and found a good one.

:frogout:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Alctel posted:

Also if AV passes the cons are amazingly hosed.

Any sort of proportional representation would be better than FPTP because it would let me finally stop pretending that the ballot box is a trash can that I'm throwing my vote into every time I go to vote.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
Dion in the environment minister's post would actually soothe the sting of this loss a lot and seriously improve my outlook on how the Liberals will govern. I do wonder how much of a purge they went through after the iggy fiasco, Dion and his support are definitely more on the leftist side ofbthe aisle than the right, if they get given a some voice it's a good sign

Time will tell

e; pass this along to your overlords bunny, Cangoons want Dion as Environment Minister

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

At this point I'm content with any voting system where going with my first choice will not help my last choice.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
Blue Jays clearly election-hungover, way to go Justin

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I admit complete ignorance about the cons and Atlantic Canada but I'm guessing that they really didn't like Harper. Danny Williams must be proud.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I've seen Goodale as deputy PM, Brison as finance.

Also expect Jody Wilson-Raybould to get something, and I mean you could probably do McGuinty as the environment minister.

They've got 8 aboriginal candidates (including Jody) and you have to imagine at least 2 will get a spot in cabinet.

I'm really curious to see the cabinet they choose.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
They don't have a lot of Western MPs to choose from for Cabinet seats. Who are the potentials there?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Majuju posted:

Blue Jays clearly election-hungover, way to go Justin

They're going to put him on the team at the last moment so he can sock some dingers and win the penant

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

bunnyofdoom I'm afraid that you must renounce your support of the Ottawa Senators and support les Canadiens de Montréal as per our new Prime Minister-elect's choice of hockey team.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing

toe knee hand posted:

They don't have a lot of Western MPs to choose from for Cabinet seats. Who are the potentials there?

Amarjeet Sohi might get something for multiculturalism. Maybe Randy Boissonnault?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
boissonnault has a personal history of doing literacy outreach charity so maybe he could get Something Vaguely Related to that since hes probably not goign to get something big like finance or health care or whatever

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

Wait Justin took this whole principled stand against the senate is he just gonna leave posts vacant until it's empty

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

toe knee hand posted:

Hedy Fry.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
What about McCallum? Will he be resigned to backbench like Deepak Obhrai?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

Wait Justin took this whole principled stand against the senate is he just gonna leave posts vacant until it's empty

You're misremembering I think: when it comes to the Senate he's in the reform camp - he wants to set up an appointments commission and recruit non-partisan eminences for it (and accordingly he removed all the existing Liberal senators from the party caucus because the idea is for them to be independent.)

We'll see how that works out.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Dallan Invictus posted:

You're misremembering I think: when it comes to the Senate he's in the reform camp - he wants to set up an appointments commission and recruit non-partisan eminences for it (and accordingly he removed all the existing Liberal senators from the party caucus because the idea is for them to be independent.)

We'll see how that works out.

oh so like not affiliate any senator with any party specifically

well I guess if we are stuck with it as a vestigial arm of government that will never be given relevance and can't just be chopped off that's okay I suppose

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

angerbeet posted:

They're going to put him on the team at the last moment so he can sock some dingers and win the penant

DINGERS! DINGERS!

*justin places unamended C-51 under hat*

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

ZeeBoi posted:

I admit complete ignorance about the cons and Atlantic Canada but I'm guessing that they really didn't like Harper. Danny Williams must be proud.

Newfoundland has been a fairly red province for most elections since the 70s iirc, but it took Harper to make us pretty much unanimously Not Blue.

I 'lows Danny was on the Lamb's last night.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

While the Senate riles people up I also think it's kind of like "Balanced Budgets". The issue is less the specific policy and more what it represents to voters (in the case of balanced budgets I think what voters here is 'small government', in the case of the Senate they hear 'corruption, inside access, arrogance'). People were pissed about corruption and the senate was a good symbol of government corruption (especially in the broader sense, not just of legal corruption, but rather moral corruption) but I strongly doubt that very many Canadians actually have any interest on a constitutional debate.

Harper's very hypocritical behaviour regarding the Senate got people angry but I doubt there will be much pressure to actually reform anything now that Harper is gone. Most people have bigger priorities.

If Trudeau's policies become unpopular or if we get some highly publicised spending scandals by Liberals then maybe the Senate will re-emerge as an issue, but mostly I think its a proxy for voter frustration at Ottawa and not actually something most voters care about as much as they claim to.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Trudeau secret commie manchurian candidate all along

our prayers have been answered

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

toe knee hand posted:

Goodale is a slam dunk. For Manitoba, Jim Carr, Maryann Mihychuk and Robert Falcon-Ouelette will probably get some consideration.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BERGfu posted:

Haha Holy gently caress you have the same av I loving had in 2012

I dared to make aprox a dozen posts that werent in the groupthink back in 2013.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

The best two times in Canadian politics were Trudeau Sr. hanging out with Castro, and Trudeau Sr. flipping off a bunch of protesting oil workers from his car.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The best two times in Canadian politics were Trudeau Sr. hanging out with Castro, and Trudeau Sr. flipping off a bunch of protesting oil workers from his car.

If you are a bogey man to tories, then it means you have succeed in life

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I decided to dig into Vibrant Victoria to get some con tears and general insanity.

"I'm looking forward to Trudeau's first meeting with a world leader. Will he hold his own? Will he garner respect? Will he adequately represent Canada on the world stage?
Love him or hate him, Harper was a phenomenal leader on the world stage. He commanded respect.
If you can put your bias aside for just a moment perhaps you'll recognize that he was a highly respected leader on the world stage. He was a good speaker, he commanded respect. Whether or not you agreed with him or supported his party doesn't change how he represented Canada. "

"The Liberals balanced the budget with higher personal and corporate income taxes not to mention a 7% GST and by absolutely gutting the military.
Harper balanced the budget with the lowest taxation levels since WW2. I thank him for that!"

"Agreed. The TFSA is a wonderful thing. It's not tremendously difficult for someone to put away $5k per year, even on a tighter budget.
Rolling it back is a lame move that Trudeau may very well reconsider when his supporters start raising a stink."

Yeah average canadian's just stashing away 5k a year no problem.
Overall vibrant victoria wasn't too bad, I was hoping for more :(

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Vintersorg posted:

Conservative tears are the best tasting kinda of ones.

Shared by a 30-something.

I'm seeing that crap on facebook, entirely from guys who moved to Alberta for tar sands jobs.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Baronjutter posted:

The really angry cons probably sputtered themselves tired when Alberta went orange.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Baronjutter posted:

I decided to dig into Vibrant Victoria to get some con tears and general insanity.

"I'm looking forward to Trudeau's first meeting with a world leader. Will he hold his own? Will he garner respect? Will he adequately represent Canada on the world stage?
Love him or hate him, Harper was a phenomenal leader on the world stage. He commanded respect.
If you can put your bias aside for just a moment perhaps you'll recognize that he was a highly respected leader on the world stage. He was a good speaker, he commanded respect. Whether or not you agreed with him or supported his party doesn't change how he represented Canada. "

"The Liberals balanced the budget with higher personal and corporate income taxes not to mention a 7% GST and by absolutely gutting the military.
Harper balanced the budget with the lowest taxation levels since WW2. I thank him for that!"

"Agreed. The TFSA is a wonderful thing. It's not tremendously difficult for someone to put away $5k per year, even on a tighter budget.
Rolling it back is a lame move that Trudeau may very well reconsider when his supporters start raising a stink."

Vibrant Victoria, r/Vancouver, Skyscraper Forums...

All of these sites bring in the people who write too coherently for news website comments.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

tinfoilhat posted:

Trudeau will essentially be Obama of Canada. The darling of the media. Trudeau could be found with a dead body and a smoking gun in his hands and they'll look the other way. If we're depending on the media to keep the new government in line, I've got a bridge to nowhere to sell to you. Canadian media bias makes Fox News look balanced.

quote:

The Globe and Mail has spent the whole day effectively publishing brochures of Trudeau's promises. It's beyond ridiculous. The CBC didn't even bother to hide their bias and contempt last night. They shrugged, they mocked and the laughed and not just at the CPC but the NDP as well. It's a one party country in general and now we've entered a de facto dictatorship period backed by the media. If you have a differing opinion, sit on it.

Facebook CPC crazies :aaaaa: They have branched off the conversation into a new thread void of differing opinions so they can press like on each others strawman to their hearts content :allears:

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Entropic posted:

I'm seeing that crap on facebook, entirely from guys who moved to Alberta for tar sands jobs.

and even though oil tanked during harper's stable strong conservative majority they'll still blame trudeau

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ZeeBoi posted:

and even though oil tanked during harper's stable strong conservative majority they'll still blame trudeau

Albertan's are currently blaming the provincial NDP for the oil economy there and Canadians will absolutely blame Trudeau for similar reasons. Canadians are dumb as poo poo and remember things to fit what ever narrative they want.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Liberals in favour of TPP, FIPA (China-Canada free trade), Bill C-51 (warrantless surveillance, information sharing on anything except a lawful protest), Bill S-7 (Barbaric Cultural Practices dogwhistle etc etc etc.

quote:

In selecting Canada’s next finance minister, Prime Minister-elect Justin Trudeau can pick between an old hand, a Toronto business executive and the head of his economic advisory group whose stimulus advice helped carry the Liberal Party to power in Monday’s election.

Trudeau, 43, may choose to emphasize stability by naming Ralph Goodale, who was finance minister the last time the Liberals were in power a decade ago. Goodale, 66, was first elected in his 20s when Pierre Trudeau, Justin’s father, was prime minister. Goodale has also served as minister of natural resources and public works.

Bill Morneau would have closer contacts with the financial hub of Toronto, having run for office after leaving a job as executive chairman of human-resources consulting firm Morneau Shepell Inc. and chairman of the C.D. Howe research institute.

Scott Brison, a veteran lawmaker from Nova Scotia who started out as a Progressive Conservative, enjoys perhaps the closest direct relationship with Trudeau, serving as co-chair of the leader’s economic advisory panel. All those candidates won their districts according to preliminary results from Canada’s election agency.

The new minister will help Trudeau craft a budget to fulfill a pledge for a middle-class tax cut funded by boosting taxes on the highest earners, a key plank of the plan that unseated Conservative Leader Stephen Harper’s government in Monday’s election. The Liberals also plan to run deficits to revive an economy crippled by low oil prices, to set a price on carbon emissions and to boost infrastructure spending.

Investors will breathe easier after voters gave the Liberals a majority of seats in the House of Commons, according to Hamish Telford, head of the political science department at the University of the Fraser Valley.

“Companies hate uncertainty,” Telford said by phone. “At least they’ll be relieved that it’s a majority which means more stability.”

Progressives

Liberal cabinets have often been a mix of “big spend” progressives and more right-leaning candidates, said Jonathan Rose, who teaches political studies at Queen’s University in Kingston, Ontario. “People in the business community may have some questions about his bona fides,” he said of Trudeau’s ability to deliver on his campaign promises.

Other cabinet posts focused on managing Canada’s C$1.8 trillion ($1.4 trillion) economy include the ministers of industry, trade and natural resources. The new defense and public works ministers also must decide what type of fighter jets to buy after Trudeau said he would reject Lockheed Martin Corp.’s F-35.

The new cabinet will need to decide whether to ratify a trade pact that Harper’s government negotiated this month, gaining access to the dozen nations in the Trans-Pacific Partnership, while giving up some protection for Canada’s dairy and automotive industries. Trudeau has said he favors trade agreements, but needs to see the full details of the TPP deal.

Trudeau has signaled confidence in former journalist Chrystia Freeland’s ability to manage an economic file, naming her co-chair of his economic panel along with Brison, and as party spokeswoman on trade in the last parliament. Freeland was re-elected in her Toronto district.

Based on considerations including region of representation, gender, diversity balance and language, here are some other possible cabinet contenders:
  • Marc Garneau is a former astronaut from Montreal, where the Liberals draw much of their support in Quebec. He served as the party’s spokesman on foreign affairs in the last parliament and in the past as Liberal spokesman on the industry and natural resource portfolios. Dominic LeBlanc is a former head of the Liberal caucus in the Atlantic provinces and a former house leader who controlled the party’s day-to-day legislative moves.
  • The other members of Trudeau’s economic advisory panel include Goodale, former Royal Bank of Canada economist and minister John McCallum and Judy Sgro, spokeswoman on the industry file and a former immigration minister.
  • Navdeep Bains has been a key organizer for the Liberals in the immigrant community around Toronto, and has been the party’s critic for trade and natural resources.
  • The Liberals have several people with experience that would be relevant for the portfolios of public safety, justice and defense. Bill Blair is a former Toronto police chief, Andrew Leslie is a former army Lieutenant General who led international forces in Afghanistan, and Lawrence MacAulay of Prince Edward Island is a former two-term Solicitor General under former Prime Minister Jean Chretien.
  • Those with a strong regional profile include Jody-Wilson Raybould, a prominent leader from Canada’s aboriginal community based in Vancouver. Hunter Tootoo is a former lawmaker from Nunavut, one of Canada’s three northern territories, and Jim Carr is a prominent Manitoba business leader. Former journalist Seamus O’Regan from Newfoundland and former Montreal mayoral contender Melanie Joly are also star candidates brought in after Trudeau became party leader.
  • Trudeau says half of his cabinet ministers will be women. Prominent female Liberal lawmakers include Judy Foote, a former Newfoundland cabinet minister; Joyce Murray, British Columbia’s former environment minister; Carolyn Bennett, a Toronto doctor and veteran Liberal lawmaker and Ottawa lawyer Catherine McKenna.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
But, at least he promised to study a bunch of things.

edit: god I forgot about C-13, the "you're with us or the child pornographers" one! Passed with Liberal support.

Kafka Esq. has issued a correction as of 22:47 on Oct 20, 2015

• Locked thread