Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

exquisite tea posted:

There's no shame in cheating yourself into some God Armor or 99999999 credits using the console commands for Mass Effect 1. As someone who has played through it legitimately three or four times now, I can say the combat has not aged well and all the inventory management is a pain. Just cheat into the best weapons so that you can focus on ragdolling dudes and shaking down some space jellyfish for extra credits.
Disagree, I loved the combat in the first, far more than the second. It's just a matter of taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

1 was the best because you could turn your sniper into a mini rocket launcher and your assault rifle into a never ending bullet hose

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Is there any character build that is favored in Shadowrun: Hong Kong the way deckers were in Dragonfall? I felt like I missed out on a lot of content playing through it as a mage.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

baram. posted:

1 was the best because you could turn your sniper into a mini rocket launcher and your assault rifle into a never ending bullet hose

Also sniping guards from kilometers away is like the hand of god frying ants with a magnifying glass.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Is there any character build that is favored in Shadowrun: Hong Kong the way deckers were in Dragonfall? I felt like I missed out on a lot of content playing through it as a mage.

But I thought you could do all the decking bits if you had one in your party? Or do you mean Shadowrun Returns?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Can you miss anything in Mad Max?

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

Can you miss anything in Mad Max?

Miss, no, but you can make it harder to get some things. As you lower threat in areas, the patrols become less frequent, which means it can be harder to get certain cars for your collection. I *think* you can unlock them through doing races, but I never bothered with that aspect so I'm not entirely sure how it works. But all the collectibles are still there in the post-game faff around mode if you want to 100% it.

I did have one relic not register for me (the one Pink Eye gives you), but I expect that was just a bug.

Edit: Well technically you can miss side missions if you advance the plot without doing them, but "do side missions before main missions" isn't really specific to this game. Still, it's a thing, so do the blue markers before the next green one. They pop up on the map as soon as you unlock them. You don't have to talk to anyone to get them to become available.

GhostBoy fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 20, 2015

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Just started playing mad max myself; the wiki mentions that beelining story missions to unlock the thunderpoon isn't a bad idea, but I don't know what the thunderpoon actually does (besides have an amazing name that I can't type out without giggling). Is that something that I'm really going to want and should go out of my way to get before futzing around with the open world nonsense, or am I fine to just play at my leisure and not worry about it?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Just started playing mad max myself; the wiki mentions that beelining story missions to unlock the thunderpoon isn't a bad idea, but I don't know what the thunderpoon actually does (besides have an amazing name that I can't type out without giggling). Is that something that I'm really going to want and should go out of my way to get before futzing around with the open world nonsense, or am I fine to just play at my leisure and not worry about it?

Do you like explosions? If so, get the thunderpoon .

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I don't like that developers keep releasing director's cuts of their video games, apparently, because I'm not sure how to present that on the wiki pages :(

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Centipeed posted:

I don't like that developers keep releasing director's cuts of their video games, apparently, because I'm not sure how to present that on the wiki pages :(

Separate the versions into subsections on the same page.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I've been playing Rebel Galaxy and the only thing that I wish i had known earlier is that you can scan an asteroid to tell if it's going to have anything in it when you mine it.

A Real Happy Camper fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 21, 2015

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Captain Novolin posted:

I've been playing Rogue Galaxy and the only thing that I wish i had known earlier is that you can scan an asteroid to tell if it's going to have anything in it when you mine it.

You're probably talking about Rebel Galaxy and not Rogue Galaxy right

I've repeatedly made the same mistake this last week

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
poo poo!! I have no idea why i keep making that mistake, too. Yeah it's for rebel galaxy

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Male Man posted:

Separate the versions into subsections on the same page.

The problem with this is that I suspect most of the tips someone gives for a Director's Cut of a game would also apply to the original, which means people might miss them if they're ignoring the section devoted to the DC.

I can't separate them adequately because I haven't played most of these games.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Overminty posted:

But I thought you could do all the decking bits if you had one in your party? Or do you mean Shadowrun Returns?
You can do the matrix bits with Blitz in your party, but there are a LOT of dialogue choices that open up if you have karma in decking skill, way more than for other classes.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Centipeed posted:

The problem with this is that I suspect most of the tips someone gives for a Director's Cut of a game would also apply to the original, which means people might miss them if they're ignoring the section devoted to the DC.

Sure, but you run into the same problem putting them on separate pages, and mixing them without comment would be even more confusing. At least demarcating them on the same page would potentially get someone to read both sections.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

You can do the matrix bits with Blitz in your party, but there are a LOT of dialogue choices that open up if you have karma in decking skill, way more than for other classes.

Blitz can almost always do those checks if he's in your party. It was only the original that had that problem. If any archetype is the official content-haver's choice, it'd be mage: the aura-reading stuff is something you can never substitute.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Centipeed posted:

I dunno about other games, but with Wasteland 2, everyone gets the Director's Cut free, so it's safe to assume anyone playing it now is going to play that version.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Male Man posted:

Sure, but you run into the same problem putting them on separate pages, and mixing them without comment would be even more confusing. At least demarcating them on the same page would potentially get someone to read both sections.

Blitz can almost always do those checks if he's in your party. It was only the original that had that problem. If any archetype is the official content-haver's choice, it'd be mage: the aura-reading stuff is something you can never substitute.

You only need one point in magic to read auras, though. I put mine in Enchantment, IIRC.

Combat skills felt pretty balanced in the game, but Charisma is hard to substitute since you're the party's speaker. Charisma lets you skip lots of fights, which is good since the experience and inventory system generally gives you zero reward for combat.

Don't try to spread yourself too thin though; I locked myself out of the best guns by doing Charisma + Decking + Rifles.

Glory is probably the strongest NPC, as an FYI. With her adrenal pump on she can run in, get in a swipe or two to break cover and reduce armor, then get back to cover. This will make the flow of combat much faster, since you won't be plinking away at enemies behind cover who get lots of bonus resistance. She also has a big stack of healing supplies that refresh after every mission.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Eldred posted:

Glory is probably the strongest NPC, as an FYI. With her adrenal pump on she can run in, get in a swipe or two to break cover and reduce armor, then get back to cover. This will make the flow of combat much faster, since you won't be plinking away at enemies behind cover who get lots of bonus resistance. She also has a big stack of healing supplies that refresh after every mission.

I found Glory probably the most useless character, especially as Lucky Strike who hangs out in the local bar outclasses her in practically every way. Not only is she better in melee (7 STR & 4 Melee Weapons vs. Glory's 6 STR & 3 Unarmed), she's also better in ranged combat (3 in Rifles vs. 2 in Pistols) and on top of all that she can cast spells as she has 4 Spellcasting, making her far more versatile.

Better stats aside, her melee crits (which are usually above 50% chance) also deal 1-2 AP damage which is massive in a game where characters get 2-3 AP per turn, leading to her constantly crippling and stunning her targets. If that wasn't enough, she has Pommel Strike which deals no damage and has -10% accuracy but which deals guaranteed AP damage on top of her base AP damage which more often than not stuns enemies in a single hit.

And if even that still wasn't enough, instead of Glory's admittedly great Adrenaline Pump she comes with the Wired Reflexes With Reflex Trigger -cyberware which is +1 Movement as a passive and automatically allows her to avoid one attack every round for three rounds. It allows for crazy aggression, have a Mage cast Armor III on her (which is enough to give her max armor) and she'll be running around cutting and stunning fools while laughing at the concept of having to hide behind cover. The only real downside to her is that she doesn't really have dialogue during missions and it costs a bit to bring her, but unlike other hirelings you can chat with her at the bar so she's not completely devoid of personality like other hirelings.

What I'm saying is that the thing you should know before playing Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut is that Lucky Strike is an insane badass and a ton of fun to use. Everyone who plays the game should bring her along in a mission at least once.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 22, 2015

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Yeah, but Glory has one of the most Shadowrun backstories I've ever heard.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm honestly surprised to see people discounting Eiger's sniper build - she was consistently one-shotting (one-turning, rather) enemies way into the endgame for me that way.
Lucky Strike is great, though. I guess the one point to take from it is that you can make all the characters work pretty easily.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Poison Mushroom posted:

Yeah, but Glory has one of the most Shadowrun backstories I've ever heard.

Eh, I'm pretty sure she'll tell you all about it even from the bench. I don't recall Dragonfall requiring you to bring characters to missions in order to advance their stories, character-specific missions notwithstanding.

Of course none of this helps the original guy with his Hong Kong question one bit. :v:

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

quote:

Not only is she better in melee (7 STR & 4 Melee Weapons vs. Glory's 6 STR & 3 Unarmed), she's also better in ranged combat (3 in Rifles vs. 2 in Pistols) and on top of all that she can cast spells as she has 4 Spellcasting, making her far more versatile.

None of which matters. The previous poster's argument was using her for popping guys out of cover. So Unarmed 1 would be better than Melee 6.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

PJOmega posted:

None of which matters. The previous poster's argument was using her for popping guys out of cover. So Unarmed 1 would be better than Melee 6.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, unarmed attacks take enemies out of cover but melee weapon ones don't? Even if that's the case, their argument was using her to make combat flow faster which Lucky Strike is still much better at since she can be a lot more aggressive in general. And since she can consistently stun enemies, she lets the entire rest of your team also be more aggressive as you have fewer enemies to worry about, plus I'm pretty sure stunned enemies don't get cover bonuses either.

Of course nothing's stopping you from just bringing both and have a meleefest if you like, it's a free world.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Centipeed posted:

Is there a better alternative? Personally, I just read everything on a game page.

In other news, I have an important wiki tip for Deus Ex (the first one):

Utility skills are front-loaded, gun skills are end-loaded. That is - bumping Medicine (for example) up to Trained makes every medkit heal an additional 30 hit points. Further skills bumps only increase the healing by 15 points each, despite costing much more. Meanwhile, training Rifles (for example) to Master gives you as much of a benefit as the previous Trained and Advanced bonuses combined (not to mention misc bonuses like perfect accuracy on all rifles and being able to snipe cameras).

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Xander77 posted:

Utility skills are front-loaded, gun skills are end-loaded. That is - bumping Medicine (for example) up to Trained makes every medkit heal an additional 30 hit points. Further skills bumps only increase the healing by 15 points each, despite costing much more. Meanwhile, training Rifles (for example) to Master gives you as much of a benefit as the previous Trained and Advanced bonuses combined (not to mention misc bonuses like perfect accuracy on all rifles and being able to snipe cameras).
A bit of an exception to that being the Heavy Weapons skill which you can't really use in a firefight unless it's level three, at which point it stops big guns slowing your movement down to a crawl. Until then, it's only really used for extremely loud lockpicking.

edit: VVV Yeah, fixed that. Let's face it, you haven't lived until you've managed to blow your face off with a GEP gun while trying to get that sweet sweet candy bar behind the glass.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Oct 24, 2015

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

anilEhilated posted:

Until then, it's only really used for extremely loud lock picking.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

anilEhilated posted:

A bit of an exception to that being the Heavy Weapons skill which you can't really use in a firefight unless it's level three, at which point it stops big guns slowing your movement down to a crawl. Until then, it's only really used for extremely loud lockpicking.

A minor glitch you can exploit; at Untrained in Heavy Weapons, you move incredibly slow while wielding one, but if you crouch, you move at normal crouch speed, which is slightly faster than that.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Regarding Pillars of Eternity and the Cipher class: is there a preferred race/subrace/background setup? I like the idea of a hobo Death Godlike Cipher but don't know if it's wise to go full weird with a first character. I'm not too worried about spoilers here, but I do want to get as much out of the game as I can in one go.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
The preferred loadout is anything with knockdown spells and anything that gives raw-type damage. Knockdown and Raw is god. If you're talking like flavor-wise, Cipher is the best possible choice for class and gives you the most options and the most world variety. Your race will only ever come up a couple times, and your background, next to never.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I've played Fallout 3 before, but that was near release and the mod scene hadn't had time to really have a go at the game.

What are good, lightweight mods for a replay of the game? Stuff like Fellout (or SkyUI, for Skyrim) are what I'm after; I'm not interested in a total conversion, or whole new areas.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Anything good for BroForce or Remember Me? Neither of them have anything on the wiki.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I've played Fallout 3 before, but that was near release and the mod scene hadn't had time to really have a go at the game.

What are good, lightweight mods for a replay of the game? Stuff like Fellout (or SkyUI, for Skyrim) are what I'm after; I'm not interested in a total conversion, or whole new areas.

About the only must-haves I can think of are a UI overhaul, and the "unofficial patch", which fixes millions of small bugs like floating geometry.

Personally I like playing with a mod that slows down XP gain, since the game practically gives you XP for wiping your rear end.

Oh, and the "no green filter" mod.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

ToxicFrog posted:

Anything good for BroForce or Remember Me? Neither of them have anything on the wiki.

BroForce is pretty straightforward (and very awesome) and might not require Before I Play tips, but I only played the early access version, I haven't played the release version yet. I will say one trick that sometimes helped me through a tough situation was shooting/burrowing my own tunnel underneath (and maybe past) the immediate enemies and then coming back up somewhere else to deal with them from a more advantageous position.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Fellout, NMC's Texture Pack, and Project Beauty (I think it's called something else now though) are all on my forever-installed list and all they do is make the game look nicer. FOOK2 is real cool, but it adds a whole lot of ~stuff~ to the game and I don't know if you're into that. I don't remember there being any total UI overhauls to the extent that SkyUI changed Skyrim's, but it's been a while since I played FO3 so there might be something on the Nexus.

EDIT: It goes without saying that you should get the FOMM, FOSE, and the Unofficial Patch if you haven't already. Even vanilla playthroughs should have the unofficial patch.

im cute fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 28, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ToxicFrog posted:

Something for Remember Me; set the very simple 4-hit combo to entirely Heal Pressens. You'll be thankful for it midway into the game.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

paco650 posted:

Fellout, NMC's Texture Pack, and Project Beauty (I think it's called something else now though) are all on my forever-installed list and all they do is make the game look nicer. FOOK2 is real cool, but it adds a whole lot of ~stuff~ to the game and I don't know if you're into that. I don't remember there being any total UI overhauls to the extent that SkyUI changed Skyrim's, but it's been a while since I played FO3 so there might be something on the Nexus.

Fellout is mostly good but it has the annoying effect of making night pitch dark so just be aware of that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Hog Inspector posted:

Fellout is mostly good but it has the annoying effect of making night pitch dark so just be aware of that.
Hold tab to turn on your pip boy light. :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Fallout Wanderer's Edition and the arsenal addon for it, it's about the closest the world gets to at all threatening. DarnUI is my go-to UI mod for making it look less xbox, and Archive Invalidation Invalidated (say that 5 times fast) to get rid of the bullshit GFWL integration. Other optional stuff I recommend is iHUD, Mart's Mutant Mod for a bit of variety in enemies, and one of the mods to hide the karma notifications and slow XP gain (possibly integrated into FWE, I can't remember).