Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Wait what? Where are you guys getting ads in the middle of your podcasts? I download them direct at whmpodcast and they're always in the front and easy to skip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm talking about other podcasts, not WHM. HDTGM is the worst offender since their shows are already short and content-lite.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
If nothing else, the ads have brought us "Promo Code: HATE" which is always entertaining.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah I can't shake the feeling that they're doing the HATE thing as a subtle gently caress-you to DraftKings. There's legitimate venom in their voices when they say it.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
At the end of the day cracking jokes during the ads just makes them twice as long but I find it really hard to have feelings about something that can be skipped this easily. And as has ben said, at least they put them all at the start of the show.

poo poo, even Tom Scharpling had to start talking about draftkings and vegas vacations and whatever else when he took his show off the radio. It's just the way it is now, although maybe in five years or so every podcast network will have gone the Howl way of "no ads for premium users, no archives for normal users".

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

LORD OF BUTT posted:

They're familiar with Dragon Ball Z, and yet they haven't done the driver's license episode for Animation Damnation. This is a tragedy.

Which episode could you pick though? There's either plot-related episodes where very little happens, or filler which doesn't really represent the show's normal content. So obviously, filler episode would be my choice. That or if they pull an episode deep from the Cell saga or something and see if they can figure out who/what an Android is. Animation Damnation is always a good time.

I'd love for them to cover other western-bought japanese stuff. Like digimon, cardcaptors or whatever else was on Cheez TV.

Have WHM ever actually covered a movie they love? It'd be interesting to see them discuss something positively. They've reviewed some movies I would call entertaining (Face/Off) but Jupin normally talks poo poo on everything.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

I'm talking about other podcasts, not WHM. HDTGM is the worst offender since their shows are already short and content-lite.

At the end of the last episode of 99% Invisible they talked a bit about their ads and they said that mid-podcast ad breaks sell for more money, presumably because it's harder to skip them. Meanwhile they only have their ads at the end of the show precisely because that makes it easier for people who don't want to listen to them to skip them.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Bill Burr does the best ads because he's merciless about just making fun of the copy (And doesn't do the 'I totally use this product' thing).

Anyway, despite not really liking FvJ this is the first episode in a long time that I just couldn't gel with. I think the movie's crimes aren't dumb enough to really make it stand out, and it has enough fun scenes to handwave a lot of dumbness (The first kill and the corn scene are worth watching it for).

Saying that I only saw it twice and that's when it came out. I'd probably feel different about it now.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Morter posted:

Wait what? Where are you guys getting ads in the middle of your podcasts? I download them direct at whmpodcast and they're always in the front and easy to skip.

Gilbert Gottfried's does. Even his short 20 minute Thursday podcast has ads in the beginning and an ad in the middle.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Illinois Smith posted:

At the end of the day cracking jokes during the ads just makes them twice as long but I find it really hard to have feelings about something that can be skipped this easily. And as has ben said, at least they put them all at the start of the show.
As long as they don't get to Kevin Smith levels of hawking their own poo poo and talking about how they love loving Fleshlights in frankly unnecessary detail for a full 10 minutes, I'm fine with the ads.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Sometimes I'm convinced that people in this thread are downloading podcasts from an alternate dimension. while interspersed within the episodes, HDTGM's ads are much shorter, don't overstay their welcome, and their episodes are about as long as WHM,and they talk about the movie more.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

TetsuoTW posted:

As long as they don't get to Kevin Smith levels of hawking their own poo poo and talking about how they love loving Fleshlights in frankly unnecessary detail for a full 10 minutes, I'm fine with the ads.

holy poo poo who does this

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

well why not posted:

Which episode could you pick though? There's either plot-related episodes where very little happens, or filler which doesn't really represent the show's normal content. So obviously, filler episode would be my choice. That or if they pull an episode deep from the Cell saga or something and see if they can figure out who/what an Android is. Animation Damnation is always a good time.

I'd love for them to cover other western-bought japanese stuff. Like digimon, cardcaptors or whatever else was on Cheez TV.

Have WHM ever actually covered a movie they love? It'd be interesting to see them discuss something positively. They've reviewed some movies I would call entertaining (Face/Off) but Jupin normally talks poo poo on everything.

Hard Target and Pray For Death are the first ones I can think of.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

MinibarMatchman posted:

Kevin Smith, apparently?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

MinibarMatchman posted:

Literally Kevin Smith, at least at the point like a year and change back when I finally bailed on listening to his poo poo.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I'm okay with the presence of ads but I wish I didn't have to hear people I like and respect shilling for scummy stuff like Draft Kings and Uber. I get that it's out of their hands but it still sucks.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Hard Target and Pray For Death are the first ones I can think of.

Mortal Kombat and Gymkata are We Love Movies episodes as well.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

weekly font posted:

Mortal Kombat and Gymkata are We Love Movies episodes as well.

We should also not forget Tuff Turf.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

MisterBibs posted:

Sometimes I'm convinced that people in this thread are downloading podcasts from an alternate dimension. while interspersed within the episodes, HDTGM's ads are much shorter, don't overstay their welcome, and their episodes are about as long as WHM, and they talk about the movie more.

Huh, I went back and checked episode lengths and you're right! I could have sworn the episodes I listened to a year ago only contained like 30 minutes of actual content, i.e. on-topic comedy.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

MisterBibs posted:

Sometimes I'm convinced that people in this thread are downloading podcasts from an alternate dimension. while interspersed within the episodes, HDTGM's ads are much shorter, don't overstay their welcome, and their episodes are about as long as WHM,and they talk about the movie more.

HDTGM talks about June Diane Raphael being a weirdo more than they ever talk about the movie. Also which character Raffi jerked off to.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

weekly font posted:

HDTGM talks about June Diane Raphael being a weirdo more than they ever talk about the movie.
It got to a point where I was convinced she was making poo poo up specifically so they could keep that "bit" going.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

TetsuoTW posted:

It got to a point where I was convinced she was making poo poo up specifically so they could keep that "bit" going.

It's entirely a bit now.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

mobby_6kl posted:

Kevin Smith, apparently?

On O&A, Kevin Smith couldn't stop talking about how the only thing he would do on his tour bus is smoke pot, write in an unconscious daze and gently caress his fleshlights. But he'd be so high that he'd forget to clean them out and when he finally did, black stuff ran out :gonk:

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Call Me Charlie posted:

On O&A, Kevin Smith couldn't stop talking about how the only thing he would do on his tour bus is smoke pot, write in an unconscious daze and gently caress his fleshlights. But he'd be so high that he'd forget to clean them out and when he finally did, black stuff ran out :gonk:

I made it through like 4 SModcasts back in like 2007 until I reached an episode where Smith and Mosier talked about Helen Keller for 40 minutes without knowing literally anything about her, even what could easily have been gleaned by reading the top paragraph on her Wikipedia entry. Then I realized that he's a loving moron and stopped listening to anything he recorded (although I did check out the infamous Tusk episode after watching that film, which was worthwhile in that context).

Speaking of which, WHM should do a Tusk episode. Listener request month!

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

The Vosgian Beast posted:

We should also not forget Tuff Turf.

The best "We Love Movies" episode is Halloween 3. The copy they watch it off is from Andrews own collection and it's clear throughout that they all really enjoyed it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

weekly font posted:

HDTGM talks about June Diane Raphael being a weirdo more than they ever talk about the movie. Also which character Raffi jerked off to.

Again, the whole "downloading from alternate dimensions" thing. Sure, they do those bits, but to claim they take up more time than movie-talk is flat-out wrong and actively disingenuous.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 21, 2015

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I think HDTGM works much better in the studio than the live episodes. They spend so much time playing to the audience during live shows that they barely cover things that happen in the movies or they get stuck on a tangent and beat it into the ground.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

JT Smiley posted:

I think HDTGM works much better in the studio than the live episodes. They spend so much time playing to the audience during live shows that they barely cover things that happen in the movies or they get stuck on a tangent and beat it into the ground.

I stopped listening when they started doing almost exclusively live shows. Live podcasts are great for podcasters (because they make money) and the live audience (because they get a good show) but they are almost always dogshit for podcast listeners, and I'm not only talking about HDTGM.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

well why not posted:

I mentioned the filler ep where Goku and Piccolo get their driver's licenses, which is hilarious and insane.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I'd love to recommend a few more episodes of Captain Planet sometime to them. It's one I bring up a lot, but the India episode where a girl gets attacked by a dead cow in a river of poo poo, everyone gets horrible stomach virus infections, Wheeler the SMARTEST character of the team, and Cap solves pollution of the Ganges with the help of literal Hindu religious figures... It's a thing.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's an episode of Captain Planet where some athlete gets HIV through a blood transfusion and the gang have to explain how HIV and AIDS are different. It was made when AIDS was still the gay cancer, so there's this undertone of homophobia and gay panic to the whole thing. Not to mention the whole "AIDS is terminal so your life is over" thing.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

There's an episode of Captain Planet where some athlete gets HIV through a blood transfusion and the gang have to explain how HIV and AIDS are different. It was made when AIDS was still the gay cancer, so there's this undertone of homophobia and gay panic to the whole thing. Not to mention the whole "AIDS is terminal so your life is over" thing.

The athlete is voiced by Neil Patrick Harris.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

JediTalentAgent posted:

I'd love to recommend a few more episodes of Captain Planet sometime to them. It's one I bring up a lot, but the India episode where a girl gets attacked by a dead cow in a river of poo poo, everyone gets horrible stomach virus infections, Wheeler the SMARTEST character of the team, and Cap solves pollution of the Ganges with the help of literal Hindu religious figures... It's a thing.

There's an episode where a magic yeti presides over a court of extinct animals to judge humanity's worth, with the Planeteers as defendants.

There's an episode where the Planeteers visit a virtual universe full of bizarre crossover animals, and get attacked by a goatbear.

There's an episode where Looten Plunder uses a clone beam to get cheap child labor to build flamethrowers.

There's an episode where Dr. Blight travels back in time to sell nukes to Hitler

Captain Planet is a goddamn goldmine.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

TetsuoTW posted:

Patreon seems to be doing this to a few podcasts I follow. I actually unsubscribed from Rob Paulsen's voice-acting podcast because he started only releasing the first half hour of every episode and restricting the full thing to his Patreon donors; considering that the whole thing is ostensibly one giant ad for him and his friends and their voice-acting classes/current gigs/live appearances it's especially silly.

I feel for people trying to monetize their content but the whole point of podcasts is that they're light disposable entertainment for when you're working or driving or playing a game that doesn't demand a lot of attention, the moment you start charging money for it you're going to lose almost all of your audience.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

There's an episode where a magic yeti presides over a court of extinct animals to judge humanity's worth, with the Planeteers as defendants.

There's an episode where the Planeteers visit a virtual universe full of bizarre crossover animals, and get attacked by a goatbear.

There's an episode where Looten Plunder uses a clone beam to get cheap child labor to build flamethrowers.

There's an episode where Dr. Blight travels back in time to sell nukes to Hitler

There's also an episode about a civilization of intelligent, 'evil(?) mice that destroy themselves due to overpopulation and the the good mouse decides to not let the Planeteers save him and his family because they probably deserve to die, too.

I think the Planet Alert PSA from the end of the episode was literally telling children about sensibly engage in population control. Holy poo poo, if that was on the air today...

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Sleeveless posted:

I feel for people trying to monetize their content but the whole point of podcasts is that they're light disposable entertainment for when you're working or driving or playing a game that doesn't demand a lot of attention, the moment you start charging money for it you're going to lose almost all of your audience.

There's a whole wave of podcasters now who are able to make a living from their shows but they are the exception to the rule. For everyone else podcasts have traditionally functioned as extensions of the rest of their entertainment careers, hence the practice of plugging one's other projects and upcoming appearances at the end of every episode.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Hitler also had a fu Manchu.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

Patreon seems to be doing this to a few podcasts I follow. I actually unsubscribed from Rob Paulsen's voice-acting podcast because he started only releasing the first half hour of every episode and restricting the full thing to his Patreon donors; considering that the whole thing is ostensibly one giant ad for him and his friends and their voice-acting classes/current gigs/live appearances it's especially silly.
Aw man, that sucks. I listened to some of his stuff a while back and it was generally really fun and interesting.

quote:

This is why I like what Laser Time have done with their Patreon - all their original podcasts are still free and in full, but anyone who backs them gets bonus poo poo, like a weekly bonus podcast, free movie commentaries (done live and with backer chat participation too), and exclusive access to the first season of a new show that's going free to the public from the second season. Or similarly Duckfeed, who also keep all their regular poo poo free, but give backers access to the episodes a week early, along with other bonus stuff.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

They did that episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
They did? I have to listen to it ASAP.