Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Does VMware "remote console" functionality just not work with Safari on OSX? I updated to Safari 9 with ElCap but this was the case with 10.10 as well.

I'll click on "Launch remote console" in the VCSA UI and it'll spin the refresh button for a second, yet nothing happens. I've got "/Applications/VMware Remote Console.app" installed, though I don't remember where I got it, and I've got the integration plugin installed. I know they say that Safari isn't supported when you first log into vCenter but I was hoping this would be one of those things that just "worked", much like just about everything else does.

I don't REALLY want to run a browser JUST to manage VCSA so I dunno, I'll likely just keep using VMware Fusion to get my VM's console if I need to. Just a pain in the butt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Wicaeed posted:

Can someone shed some light on how VMware View licensing works?

We've got a small number of users (less than 5) who, in direct defiance of IT policy, have brought their own Windows desktops into our environment and are using unlicensed, uncontrolled version of Windows. Our IT manager found out about this yesterday, and quietly asked me to look into some VDI options so that we could at least have them accessing sensitive information from within a controlled environment (these are Finance people).

Sat through some parts of the View HOL late last night, and based on what I'm seeing we would need at least the following:

One Windows Server server acting as the Remote Desktop Services host (Windows Server Std license + ~5 users CAL + RDS Licensing)
Licensing for as many users as you have accessing those RDS servers for VMware Horizon (probably 3-5 licenses)

My concern is stemming from the fact that this really basic, REALLY small deployment will cost us (on the VMware side) at LEAST $3,000 per user for VMware Horizon View licensing.

They can't be serious with that licensing cost :psyduck:

You go replace those loving machines right here right now

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
There's no way view licensing is $3k per user. If you're using their website, the price per unit is a 10-pack. Is that where the discrepancy?

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Erwin posted:

I remember someone on these forums telling a story of someone doing exactly that - being 'helpful' and mounting disks on a Windows server that turned out to be attached for backup purposes.

A few days late, but I had a client lose all (!!!) of their data to this. They had a datastore that consisted of 4 LUNs (using extents), which were all also mapped to their Windows boxes (no LUN masking, just wildcards). There was a power outage, the Windows boxes booted first and grabbed the LUNs. Fun fact: if Windows overwrites the disk signature on an extent (not the first drive in the datastore), there is no way to fix it! (ask me about two days on the phone with NetApp and VMware).

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

madsushi posted:

A few days late, but I had a client lose all (!!!) of their data to this. They had a datastore that consisted of 4 LUNs (using extents), which were all also mapped to their Windows boxes (no LUN masking, just wildcards). There was a power outage, the Windows boxes booted first and grabbed the LUNs. Fun fact: if Windows overwrites the disk signature on an extent (not the first drive in the datastore), there is no way to fix it! (ask me about two days on the phone with NetApp and VMware).

Hah, the exact same thing happened at my previous employer except it was deliberate, not accidental. A hapless tech was trying to get more space on the clients backup server which was connected to the FC fabric and was zoned so that it had access to the LUNs containing the VMFS datastores. He launched Disk Management in Windows on the backup server, saw the offline LUNs, thought "Oh, there's some storage!" and proceeded to online and initialise the LUNs which nuked the VMFS datastores on those LUNs.

Oh and it turns out that the backup software on said backup server (Backup Exec lol) wasn't actually working so it was a total loss.

Edit:

Erwin posted:

I remember someone on these forums telling a story of someone doing exactly that - being 'helpful' and mounting disks on a Windows server that turned out to be attached for backup purposes.

Oh yeah that was me, forgot that I'd told the above story before in this thread/elsewhere.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
How lazy do you have to be to not mask your luns?

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

KS posted:

There's no way view licensing is $3k per user. If you're using their website, the price per unit is a 10-pack. Is that where the discrepancy?

:monocle: Holy crap you're right!

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

Does VMware "remote console" functionality just not work with Safari on OSX? I updated to Safari 9 with ElCap but this was the case with 10.10 as well.

If you click on the little console window preview thingy it should open a HTML5 console iirc

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

So, rumor is that Dell is raising $8/EMC share to get VMware as well. Google it.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

http://techcrunch.com/2015/10/12/dell-buys-emc-for-67b-in-largest-deal-in-tech-history/

I don't expect this to really change much. Except maybe now Dell will be able to fix all the bugs we find in their machines. Doubtful though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

theperminator posted:

If you click on the little console window preview thingy it should open a HTML5 console iirc

Hm yeah, definitely not happening here unfortunately :(

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I noticed in VMware's knowledge base that they recommend enabling Turbo Boost on processors that support it. Based on my understanding of how the VMkernel implements co-stops for SMP virtual machines, it seems anything that causes the frequency of CPUs to bounce around unevenly would cause an increase in jitter with a corresponding uptick in CPU ready time. Can anyone explain to me why I'm wrong and the KB is right?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Vulture Culture posted:

I noticed in VMware's knowledge base that they recommend enabling Turbo Boost on processors that support it. Based on my understanding of how the VMkernel implements co-stops for SMP virtual machines, it seems anything that causes the frequency of CPUs to bounce around unevenly would cause an increase in jitter with a corresponding uptick in CPU ready time. Can anyone explain to me why I'm wrong and the KB is right?

Intel Turbo Boost is capped by physical CPU limits, primarily thermal. If you server's are in a controlled environment like a DC then you shouldn't see major thermal variations and therefore the upper-limit of CPU frequency with Turbo Boost should be static. CPU frequency increases with demand so unless you are running some very weird workloads the amount of jitter shouldn't be noticeable.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

cheese-cube posted:

unless you are running some very weird workloads
:smith:

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

cheese-cube posted:

Intel Turbo Boost is capped by physical CPU limits, primarily thermal. If you server's are in a controlled environment like a DC then you shouldn't see major thermal variations and therefore the upper-limit of CPU frequency with Turbo Boost should be static. CPU frequency increases with demand so unless you are running some very weird workloads the amount of jitter shouldn't be noticeable.

Wouldn't the majority of the jitter come from the CPU shutting down/restarting pipelines (since it has to stop some cores to free up TDP to ramp up the remaining cores to full clock). The shutdown's cheap, but the latency in restarting is going to be expensive.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

ragzilla posted:

Wouldn't the majority of the jitter come from the CPU shutting down/restarting pipelines (since it has to stop some cores to free up TDP to ramp up the remaining cores to full clock). The shutdown's cheap, but the latency in restarting is going to be expensive.
I don't think it has to stop or even slow down cores in order to boost other cores because the majority of the TDP budget should come from C6/C7 cstates. IIRC, Turbo Boost doesn't work at all with a max cstate below C3 even if the CPU governor is dynamically adjusting clocks down.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

ragzilla posted:

This would only occur if your hardware was in an environment which has an unstable ambient temperature that would affect maximum TDP. Turbo Boost increases the clock frequency in increments of ~100 Mhz so should you have a stable ambient temperature then Turbo Boost will find the stable operating clock-speed accounting for TDP.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Anyone know of a mechanism to run commands remotely and get the output using the **vmomi SDK, similar in functionality to the Invoke-VMScript? I can launch processes with StartProgramInGuest but it only gives a return code; you can't see any output, and there doesn't seem to be any easy way to get output back out in any way. I can redirect it to a file, and I can move files around, but there doesn't seem to be a way to read them.

Possibly I can use InitiateFileTransferFromGuest but that's super hacky and there's got to be a better way

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 20, 2015

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Messing around with the ESXi web client, this thing can't become production ready fast enough :stare:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So with HP going downhill and Cisco being gently caress Cisco what is everyone using for switching these days? My only other experience is with PowerConnects or Force10 switches. Is there anything else out there worth looking at?

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Internet Explorer posted:

So with HP going downhill and Cisco being gently caress Cisco what is everyone using for switching these days? My only other experience is with PowerConnects or Force10 switches. Is there anything else out there worth looking at?

Access or datacenter? If the latter, check out Arista.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

Doing a lot with Arista and Juniper these days.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

1000101 posted:

Doing a lot with Arista and Juniper these days.

I am really enjoying working with Juniper gear for switching/routing/firewall.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Datacenter.

Thanks for the quick suggestions. Will check out both. Never even heard of Arista. Must be getting slow in my old age.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Large datacenter is using Juniper, another Cisco. Some smaller branch-and-subdepartment "datacenters" (data closets with two or three 48U racks) have been doing great on cheap inexpensive Dell networking hardware.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Datacenter.

Thanks for the quick suggestions. Will check out both. Never even heard of Arista. Must be getting slow in my old age.
Arista has comparatively few features by design. They're workhorses in the low-latency/HFT space. Every hedge fund uses them.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Is running OS X on ESXi still technically even legal (based on the El Capitan EULA) on Apple hardware?

(iii) to install, use and run up to two (2) additional copies or instances of the Apple Software within virtual operating system environments on each Mac Computer you own or control that is already running the Apple Software, for purposes of: (a) software development; (b) testing during software development; (c) using OS X Server; or (d) personal, noncommercial use.

The "that is already running the apple software" parts seems to be saying to me that "oh hay, it's cool to run this in vmware fusion or virtual box or something", but not "it's cool guys, run this in ESXi". All the discussion I've seen about it has primarily been 2-5 years old.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I'm seeing some strange behavior occasionally when cloning from template. Sometimes shortly after powering on for the first time, DRS moves a VM from one host to another because it's lost heartbeat. If this happens while guest customization is still going on the customization complete event is never written in tasks & events. This would not be a problem normally, but vRA appears to key on this event to determine that customization has finished, and without it the request just gets stuck in the CustomizeOS status.

I've compared the guestcust.log between machines that finish normally and ones that didn't, and found a couple of discrepancies. In a "good" build I see this:

[2015-10-23T10:11:18 DEBUG] Rpci: Sent request='deployPkg.update.state 5 0 C:\Windows\TEMP\vmware-imc\guestcust.log', reply='', len=0, status=1

vs this in a "bad" one:
[2015-10-23T10:11:31 DEBUG] Rpci: Sent request='deployPkg.update.state 5 0 C:\Windows\TEMP\vmware-imc\guestcust.log', reply='Unknown command', len=15, status=1

The bad one also has this:
[2015-10-23T10:11:31 ERROR] Unable to set customization status in vmx.

That last one seems pretty damning, but I don't understand what's different about these builds that causes that communication to fail. Couldn't find anything pertinent in the KB either. Any ideas?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Is there a build list for a nice cheap home lab? I'm looking to dump esxi 6.0 on something to build a test domain for 2016 servers.

I spare parted together a c2q 8gb system, but Dell doesn't put freaking vt-x in their bios. So I'd probably just want mb/cpu/mem or something and step up everything a notch.

I see cheap Dell 1650 servers on ebay for $200, but that would probably cost $40 a month in electricity alone.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If you're talking about a PowerEdge 1650 then those are essentially useless garbage at this point.

You can probably find a 1950 for those kinds of prices and those are literally the lowest end I'd go with a Dell. That said I probably wouldn't even bother with rack equipment unless you have a need for it.

If 2016 is close enough to 2012R2 then you should be able to get away with a Proxmox setup on commodity intel desktop hardware.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
is there anything built into hyper-v that would allow me to replicate VMs to other storage? We acquired another bank and they outsourced all of the servers to an outfit that hosts on hyper-v. I have not even had a chance to talk to the hosting company yet, but I wanted to have an idea if there was a built in replication option in hyper-v or if I was going to have to stick some replicating storage in their datacenter.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Philthy posted:

Is there a build list for a nice cheap home lab? I'm looking to dump esxi 6.0 on something to build a test domain for 2016 servers.

I spare parted together a c2q 8gb system, but Dell doesn't put freaking vt-x in their bios. So I'd probably just want mb/cpu/mem or something and step up everything a notch.

I see cheap Dell 1650 servers on ebay for $200, but that would probably cost $40 a month in electricity alone.

If you keep an eye on slickdeals, ThinkServer towers come up pretty often in the $200-300 range.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Philthy posted:

Honestly an AMD athlon 5350 and motherboard can be had in the $80 range, so you just need case power supply and ram. Quad core, 2GHz, easily enough CPU for 16-20 VMs in a lab.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

adorai posted:

Honestly an AMD athlon 5350 and motherboard can be had in the $80 range, so you just need case power supply and ram. Quad core, 2GHz, easily enough CPU for 16-20 VMs in a lab.

Thanks, ill look into this. Sounds about what I need. Ive lost track of PC specs ages ago.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

adorai posted:

is there anything built into hyper-v that would allow me to replicate VMs to other storage? We acquired another bank and they outsourced all of the servers to an outfit that hosts on hyper-v. I have not even had a chance to talk to the hosting company yet, but I wanted to have an idea if there was a built in replication option in hyper-v or if I was going to have to stick some replicating storage in their datacenter.

Look at Zerto for storage agnostic replication and even Hyper-V to ESX replication.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Potato Salad posted:

Large datacenter is using Juniper, another Cisco. Some smaller branch-and-subdepartment "datacenters" (data closets with two or three 48U racks) have been doing great on cheap inexpensive Dell networking hardware.

We've be running Dell N4000's without complaint. Will probably switch out for Junipers next year to better integrate with our upstream provider for link aggregation but they've handled everything we throw at them just fine.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I've been asked to find a way to validate I/O performance of new esx instances as they come available to make sure there weren't any crossed wires or anything, because there was apparently a problem recently where pathing was configured wrong and clogged the whole thing up.

Are there any tools that will do this for me? Otherwise, I'm going to have to write something to spin up a dozen vms and run bonnie on them or something, and I really don't want to do that.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

Bhodi posted:

I've been asked to find a way to validate I/O performance of new esx instances as they come available to make sure there weren't any crossed wires or anything, because there was apparently a problem recently where pathing was configured wrong and clogged the whole thing up.

Are there any tools that will do this for me? Otherwise, I'm going to have to write something to spin up a dozen vms and run bonnie on them or something, and I really don't want to do that.

https://labs.vmware.com/flings/io-analyzer will probably do the trick.

Also check the CDP/LLDP hints if you want to verify cabling for your ESXi hosts. Should tell you what switches and what switch ports they're connected to. In the web client, select a host-->manage-->networking-->virtual switches. If you're on a dvs, select it and expand out the uplinks and click the little blue 'i.'

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
yeah, this is my boss wanting a third party auth / report to sanity check our vm techs who cabled and configured the thing, since they didn't catch it the first time. I've forwarded that link along to see if it's more of what they're looking for, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

adorai posted:

Just wanted to say thank you for this. I picked this up and an Gigabyte AM1 board, 16GB of memory slapped it into my previous case, injected the Realtek drivers into the ESXI 6 install and now I've got a 2016 domain up and going with hardly a dent in CPU and memory usage after 3 VMs up and going.

I feel embarrassed to say this is my first AMD purchase. It's doing the job well.

Edit: On a side note, does anyone know why VMWare blacklists anything Realtek? Is it just because the drivers/hardware is deemed too unreliable to be supported or something? Or is it more nefarious?

Philthy fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 27, 2015