Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
the queers are pretty bad and joe queer is a massive piece of poo poo

but goddamn if that won't be an awesome set

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
i was gonna make this thread and call it "rudeboys and rude boys" but i missed the chance by a long shot

anyway i found out about these guys through an interview with a less than jake member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k8QAwDKTu0

v good :3:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Literally The Worst posted:

the queers are pretty bad and joe queer is a massive piece of poo poo

but goddamn if that won't be an awesome set

Night 1 looks like it's going to be awesome

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dandy Kaiser posted:

Night 1 looks like it's going to be awesome

i just really love watching the queers play because veryone gets super into it. i saw them with masked intruder and teenage bottlerocket, right in between both bands, and they blew both of them away

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Throwdown tickets secured for all 3 nights :cool:

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

EatinCake giveth good music, EatinCake taketh away :(

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Fateo McMurray posted:

Throwdown tickets secured for all 3 nights :cool:

i'll drink to that

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Anyone see Jeff play at the beach yesterday? I thought about going but it started at noon, and I decided to sleep until 4PM instead.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Spaced God posted:

EatinCake giveth good music, EatinCake taketh away :(

Distance relationships suck and so does this. I really liked the album.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Monday_ posted:

Anyone see Jeff play at the beach yesterday? I thought about going but it started at noon, and I decided to sleep until 4PM instead.

i would've if i had heard about it before 2 pm because that's when he posted about it on facebook

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

Skeezy posted:

Distance relationships suck and so does this. I really liked the album.

Oh wait apparently it's not happening???
Wheels is gone though. I hope they can survive without the backbone of the band.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Saw streetlight last night

Owned

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

DOOP posted:

Owned

I saw them on the 20th in Boston. One of the best concerts I have ever been to.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

DOOP posted:

Owned

I'm gonna see them next week. I really hope they do Point/Keasby this time.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

Speaking of Streetlight, Victory Records didn't get paid on time by Spotify so they pulled all their music including Streetlight and Catch.
Meanwhile Victory hasn't paid two years of royalties to Streetlight.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Spaced God posted:

Speaking of Streetlight, Victory Records didn't get paid on time by Spotify so they pulled all their music including Streetlight and Catch.
Meanwhile Victory hasn't paid two years of royalties to Streetlight.

What a bunch of fuckers

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Are you loving kidding me.

E. I still have the albums up on Spotify, I guess it'll get taken down eventually?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I really hope we get the victory story from Thomas some day

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

Skeezy posted:

Are you loving kidding me.

E. I still have the albums up on Spotify, I guess it'll get taken down eventually?

They popped out of my playlists. When I tried to play one I had queued up I got "This track is not available in the United States" so I dunno if it's just America or what.

But yeah, no matter what your thoughts on Tom are, no band deserves to get hosed by a label

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Spaced God posted:

But yeah, no matter what your thoughts on Tom are, no band deserves to get hosed by a label

Is hating on Tom a thing? I've never heard anything bad about him.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
of The Atoll of Misfit Toys

Action Tortoise posted:

I'm gonna see them next week. I really hope they do Point/Keasby this time.

I saw them on Saturday. No Point/Keasbey, sadly. There was nothing from Keasbey Nights, nor the last time I saw them either. They sounded great, though. This was my fourth, and so far best, time seeing Streetlight.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Spaced God posted:

They popped out of my playlists. When I tried to play one I had queued up I got "This track is not available in the United States" so I dunno if it's just America or what.

Especially not Victory, who tend to gently caress people pretty thoroughly. Although I suspect there are stories from the major 90's alt-rock/punk boom that would put their tactics to shame. I'm sure Steve Albini knows a few.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Spaced God posted:

I think noted bad record label Victory Records only has American distribution rights for some bands - others are still on there in Europe.

Why do people keep signing with them when they gently caress every single band they've ever signed?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Because $$

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Luigi Thirty posted:

I think noted bad record label Victory Records only has American distribution rights for some bands - others are still on there in Europe.

Why do people keep signing with them when they gently caress every single band they've ever signed?

Getting a record deal is really, really hard.

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
I spent 10 hours on busses the past two days in order to see Streetlight in Boston on the 20th. As my first Streetlight concert I can say that it was the best concert I've ever been to and totally worth it.

Every inch of my body hurts and I couldn't be happier. Plus I got to see my friend get so high he refused to believe Sycamore Smith was real and kept screaming in confusion. Man every part of that concert was great.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Good timing for a Streetlight Manifesto discussion. Dyingscene.com is reporting that Victory is suing them for ONE MEELLION DOLLARS. Or, more specifically, they're suing Tomas.

Victory is alleging that the band has not fulfilled their contract to release four studio albums. They reach this conclusion by excluding from consideration Keasbey Nights (because it's a rerecording of the Catch-22 original) and 99 Songs of Revolution (because it's a cover album).

No idea what the specifics of the contract are. Obviously "Dyingscene.com" isn't exactly the Wall Street Journal.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

guppy posted:

Good timing for a Streetlight Manifesto discussion. Dyingscene.com is reporting that Victory is suing them for ONE MEELLION DOLLARS. Or, more specifically, they're suing Tomas.

Victory is alleging that the band has not fulfilled their contract to release four studio albums. They reach this conclusion by excluding from consideration Keasbey Nights (because it's a rerecording of the Catch-22 original) and 99 Songs of Revolution (because it's a cover album).

No idea what the specifics of the contract are. Obviously "Dyingscene.com" isn't exactly the Wall Street Journal.

They should make super experimental albums to the point where it's impossible to make a sale out of them. Or do nothing but 3 second tracks like the ones in Suicide Machines Battle Hymns.

Gabbleduck
Mar 13, 2011

Three hots an' a cot.

guppy posted:

As much as Victory are clearly the bad guys it would be hilarious if a court told Tom he can't just re-record Dear Sergio FOUR times and expect to get away with it.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

A guy uploaded all the court documents to google docs. It's pretty clear in the complaint that both parties agreed Keasby and 99 Songs did not count towards the 4 album contract. But the other part is that Victory is basically trying to claim the rights to all of the music he released as Toh Kay? I'm no contract lawyer, I don't know how well it holds up.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Action Tortoise posted:

They should make super experimental albums to the point where it's impossible to make a sale out of them.

We've still never heard the intentionally unlistenable Alan Parsons contract fulfilling album I don't think.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Luigi Thirty posted:

We've still never heard the intentionally unlistenable Alan Parsons contract fulfilling album I don't think.

i just googled this and it was released as part of a box set last year

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9sMGNTf4cE

happy jeffday jeff thread

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
seeing streetlight tonight. :toot:

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Remember like two years ago when they said they weren't gonna tour anymore?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jeff's doing a cool thing where if you bought a ticket to a show on the upcoming tour, you take a picture of the ticket to show you bought it for (with you in the picture), email an address with an attachment of the pic to the address he has on his tumblr/facebook, and request a song. Then, you can go to a google spreadsheet and see what songs were requested for that tour date. I requested "That's When I Reach For My Revolver" for the Toronto show.

Here's the the link to his tumblr if you're gonna partake http://greatmovieideas.tumblr.com/

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was in a music shop recently and found, of all things, a copy of the Save Ferris album (It Means Everything) in the used CDs section, and got it because it was cheap. It's an odd thing. It isn't really ska, is it? Probably owes more to the swing revival than ska. I actually remember reading this pretty old (maybe around 2000-2001) online interview the band's trumpeter did around the time their last studio album was coming out, and he reminisced about how when was invited to join a ska band in school and asked, "What's ska?" the answer he was given was, "It's rock with horns."

Still, Save Ferris was a band I sort of liked when I first discovered American ska, and I have somehow managed to develop a sort of faux-nostalgia for it despite discovering them a year or two after they'd actually broken up.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Monday_ posted:

Remember like two years ago when they said they weren't gonna tour anymore?

I don't think Streetlight will ever stop doing their thing. They keep saying they are done and uhh it never happens.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I just realized that there's nothing I've ever waned more than to go to that NYC show and get Jeff to play a Bosstones song

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Somebody in Columbus is requesting that they do Combination Pizza Hut & Taco Bell.

I need to party with that guy