Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Panfilo posted:

I've heard this mindset is what is necessary to be an Astronaut. Not the Cannibal thing, but staying very calm in dire situations. A lot of the story is dedicated to Watney trying not to go bonkers, but the other crew are taking big risks too. The long stretches of time involved and infinite variables in what might go wrong on the Hermes mean everybody needs to keep their head in the game.

The final scene of the film hammers this home too - "Space does not cooperate, something WILL go wrong. You have two choices, you can either let it end you or you can get to work. You solve one problem, then you solve the next, and if you solve enough problems maybe you can get home safe."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Around the time Apollo 13 came out there were interviews with the actual astronauts, and I think Lovell said that they were never really thinking about how screwed they were, that it was just "okay now we have to do this, next we need to do that." It was only after they were safe on the ground that it hit them how close they came to dying out there.

Even that film played up some interpersonal conflict for dramatic purposes (and Gravity had the device of the protagonist not being a seasoned astronaut), so I'm impressed that this movie captured that crisis mindset without ever feeling too sterile.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
At the epilogue you see Martinez in the crew of what I presume is Ares IV. Was he a pilot or commander? I think he's also the only one in the crew of Ares III crazy enough to go back into space again. That must have been a fun conversation with his wife!

"Hey remember when I spent a couple years doing two laps between earth and Mars? I get to go back!"

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

eggyolk posted:

That's my main gripe with the whole movie (And apparently by extension the book too, though I didn't read it). Everyone is a BEEP BOOP logical machine that is incapable of emotion or fatigue like real human beings.

In the afterword to the book, the author says that being isolated on Mars would have severe and complex psychological impacts. And to paraphrase, he didn't feel like writing a book about that, so he gave Watney a superhuman ability to cope.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

MikeJF posted:

It's a little odd that the rovers couldn't talk to Hermes (and more importantly for this story, hacked to talk to the martian satellites), but plot, I guess.

Taking to something in lowish orbits isn't hard at all.
Booked covered this; basically out of all the smart people at NASA, nobody ever thought anyone would be on the surface without the MAV down with them & Hermes in orbit.

IIRC the hab could contact earth directly and the HAB/MAV redundancies went via Hermes, while the Rovers comms systems were limited because nobody expected to travel out of range of the Hab or MAV. To top this off, it's quite likely none of the satellites in orbit were capable of bouncing a message back to earth even if he could reach them, they were made to take photos of the surface. Nobody ever expected those satellites would be needed for anything other than what they where designed for, and nobody considered the possibility that anyone would be on the surface of Mars without the Hermes in orbit.

It was a failure of imagination, which is not without precedence in the history of the space program.

EDIT: URL fixed.

Rougey fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 21, 2015

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

@rougey

quote:

An error occurred during validation.

This video does not exist.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Panfilo posted:

At the epilogue you see Martinez in the crew of what I presume is Ares IV. Was he a pilot or commander? I think he's also the only one in the crew of Ares III crazy enough to go back into space again. That must have been a fun conversation with his wife!

"Hey remember when I spent a couple years doing two laps between earth and Mars? I get to go back!"

Divorced?

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Chamale posted:

In the afterword to the book, the author says that being isolated on Mars would have severe and complex psychological impacts. And to paraphrase, he didn't feel like writing a book about that, so he gave Watney a superhuman ability to cope.

That explains it better. It was impressive to see people in the film struggling to survive while their asses were packed to the brim with "the right stuff".

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

We all like to think we'd be the one who would keep their cool in a situation like that, but in reality most of us would break down within a week- when it finally hit you that you're the only one on an inhospitable planet and help might not be coming for years, if at all, there's really no way to psychologically deal with that kind of situation.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Luneshot posted:

We all like to think we'd be the one who would keep their cool in a situation like that, but in reality most of us would break down within a week- when it finally hit you that you're the only one on an inhospitable planet and help might not be coming for years, if at all, there's really no way to psychologically deal with that kind of situation.

I dunno, is it really that different from living in your parents' basement and only communicating with people through your computer for a few years

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Steve Yun posted:

I dunno, is it really that different from living in your parents' basement and only communicating with people through your computer for a few years

Without cheetos and Mountain Dew? God forbid!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Maxwell Lord posted:

Around the time Apollo 13 came out there were interviews with the actual astronauts, and I think Lovell said that they were never really thinking about how screwed they were, that it was just "okay now we have to do this, next we need to do that." It was only after they were safe on the ground that it hit them how close they came to dying out there.

In From The Earth To The Moon, they show two distinct times things went pear-shaped to Neil Armstrong, and supposedly both times he was purestrain :geno: during them, because that was just his way.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I just read his biography. After his LM sim crash he went right back to his office. A friend was told of the crash and didn't believe it. "Neil is in his office!" He said and then went to ask Neil himself.

"Neil there is a crazy rumor that you were just in a crash. Crazy, right?"

"No it's true". :geno:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
What a coincidence, last week they had a Drunk History episode about Gordon Cooper, and they went out of their way to emphasize how chill he was despite being in a life and death situation.

Annoying Yahoo commentary interspersed in this clip:
https://www.yahoo.com/tv/colin-hanks-plays-astronaut-like-his-father-on-072946372.html

From wikipedia:

quote:

Toward the end of the Faith 7 flight there were mission-threatening technical problems. During the 19th orbit, the capsule had a power failure. Carbon dioxide levels began rising, and the cabin temperature jumped to over 100 degrees Fahrenheit (38°C). Cooper turned to his understanding of star patterns, took manual control of the tiny capsule and successfully estimated the correct pitch for re-entry into the atmosphere. Some precision was needed in the calculation, since if the capsule came in too steep, g-forces would be too large, and if its trajectory were too shallow, it would shoot out of the atmosphere again, back into space. Cooper drew lines on the capsule window to help him check his orientation before firing the re-entry rockets. "So I used my wrist watch for time," he later recalled, "my eyeballs out the window for attitude. Then I fired my retrorockets at the right time and landed right by the carrier."[5][6] Cooper's cool-headed performance and piloting skills led to a basic rethinking of design philosophy for later space missions.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Astronauts have a selection process that tend to make them a cut above the rest. That was part of the author's reason for assuming Watney wouldn't break down and die.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Steve Yun posted:

What a coincidence, last week they had a Drunk History episode about Gordon Cooper, and they went out of their way to emphasize how chill he was despite being in a life and death situation.

Annoying Yahoo commentary interspersed in this clip:
https://www.yahoo.com/tv/colin-hanks-plays-astronaut-like-his-father-on-072946372.html

From wikipedia:

Wait.. what? The guy eyeballed/manually re-entered and managed to land right where he wanted? holy poo poo that guy is :megadeath:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
When you watch The Right Stuff, the movie kinda argues that Chuck Yeager was better than the astronauts because he had full control over his vehicle and was able to handle a life-threatening crisis. The astronauts had to fight to get any semblance of half-assed vehicle control and then after they get it they show Gus Grissom loving up his escape hatch. Gordon Cooper's manual re-entry is a good rebuttal to that movie.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 22, 2015

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

When you watch The Right Stuff, the movie kinda argues that Chuck Yeager was better than the astronauts because he had full control over his vehicle and was able to handle a life-threatening crisis. The astronauts had to fight to get any semblance of half-assed vehicle control and then after they get it they show Gus Grissom loving up his escape hatch. Gordon Cooper's manual re-entry is a good rebuttal to that movie.
Just before Chuck Yeager was scheduled to break the sound barrier, he fell of his horse and broke his ribs.

He was so committed to that flight that he went to a local vet to get patched up so nobody would know about the injury, hell, on the day of the flight wasn't able to close the hatch on the X-1, so he rigged up a broom handle to do it.

This was a flight where a bunch of very smart people believed that the pilot could die and the previous test pilot had demanded 150K to do it, then comes along Chuck who basically does it as part of his 9 to 5 with two broken ribs because he didn’t want to take a sick day.

He broke the speed barrier 14 October 1947 :jeb:

One of the things I always found interesting about the book is that Mark is basically presenting a curated version of himself in the logs. He could have had a massive emotional breakdown at any point, but ultimately he goes back to the hab, forces a smile on his face, and makes light of it all.

In the movie you see him breakdown a number of times, but in a crisis he’s too busy scrambling to fix problems that he can’t even pause to think about how hosed he is until after - except for Hindenhab, I mean sure he was making light of it during the log but he was pretty shaken up. I really hope they include that in the directors cut.

There is one exchange in the books (and also hopefully in the directors cut) that sticks with me, when one of the mission critical bits of equipment breaks, which to be honest happens a lot, the book is basically problem > solution ad nauseam.

Paraphrased – Mark informs NASA , NASA freaks out and replies that they have the best minds on the planet working on the issue please don’t take it apart, Mark then tells them he’s taking it apart, NASA responds “JESUS gently caress DON’T TAKE IT APART YOU’LL DIE”, and by the time Mark gets that message he’s already fixed the issue and sent back a smiley face.

If Armstrong was all :geno: following a near death experience, then Watney is pure :haw:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Rougey posted:

In the movie you see him breakdown a number of times, but in a crisis he’s too busy scrambling to fix problems that he can’t even pause to think about how hosed he is until after - except for Hindenhab, I mean sure he was making light of it during the log but he was pretty shaken up. I really hope they include that in the directors cut.

That scene is in the movie. When he's burning hydrazine there's an explosion that burns his face, and he makes a log saying "I just blew myself up." They decided to tone the explosion down, because there's another Hab exploding scene later in the movie, when the airlock fails.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Chamale posted:

That scene is in the movie. When he's burning hydrazine there's an explosion that burns his face, and he makes a log saying "I just blew myself up." They decided to tone the explosion down, because there's another Hab exploding scene later in the movie, when the airlock fails.

Not quite.

Ontop of singing off his eyebrows, he also accidentally flooded the hab with hydrogen and turned it into a giant bomb. Hence, Hindenhab.

Rougey fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Oct 22, 2015

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Rougey posted:

Not quite.

Ontop of singing off his eyebrows, he also accidentally flooded the hab with hydrogen and turned it into a giant bomb. Hence, Hindenhab.

I thought that instead of blowing up the whole lab, they just toned it down to a face-burning explosion.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Chamale posted:

I thought that instead of blowing up the whole lab, they just toned it down to a face-burning explosion.

Nah, he's talking about the part where it didn't blow up, but Mark realises that he's filled the hab with hydrogen and has to run to the rover and panic about how he nearly exploded and how hosed he is.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

gohmak posted:

Divorced?

That was my assumption.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

MikeJF posted:

Nah, he's talking about the part where it didn't blow up, but Mark realises that he's filled the hab with hydrogen and has to run to the rover and panic about how he nearly exploded and how hosed he is.

And this is the part where Weir reveals he has no knowledge of chemistry, because hydrazine will burn with oxygen directly, making nitrogen gas and water - so there was never any reason to make hydrogen in the first place. There was no need for the entire section.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Deteriorata posted:

And this is the part where Weir reveals he has no knowledge of chemistry, because hydrazine will burn with oxygen directly, making nitrogen gas and water - so there was never any reason to make hydrogen in the first place. There was no need for the entire section.

I'm no chemist, so I'll take your word for it.
But if it possible that there is a valid reason to have done it this way? Maybe nitrogen gas is something he wanted to avoid releasing in the hab or something like that?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Dalael posted:

But if it possible that there is a valid reason to have done it this way? Maybe nitrogen gas is something he wanted to avoid releasing in the hab or something like that?

He's still making nitrogen gas this way, and there's no way he'd be making so much nitrogen that it would cause an issue.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Dalael posted:

His process for catalytically decomposing the hydrazine released nitrogen gas and hydrogen gas. The hydrogen was then burned to make water. There was no need to decompose it, he could have just reacted it with oxygen directly.

Beyond that, hydrazine is incredibly toxic, so dripping it onto the catalyst in the open the way he did would generate a bunch of hydrazine fumes (because some of the hydrazine would evaporate rather than decompose) which would have poisoned him and all his plants.

It was just another thing I had to not think about while I was watching it. It was nicely symbolic of the need for him to make do with what he had and scavenge whatever he could in clever ways, but it didn't make much actual sense in itself.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Deteriorata posted:

His process for catalytically decomposing the hydrazine released nitrogen gas and hydrogen gas. The hydrogen was then burned to make water. There was no need to decompose it, he could have just reacted it with oxygen directly.

We can rationalize that by saying that Watney wasn't a chemist. He was just kind of going on the half-knowledge he got from being Vogel's occasional lab assistant, and came up with a procedure that was more complex than it needed to be.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Weir's admitted he hosed that up due to not being good at chemistry.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

MikeJF posted:

Weir's admitted he hosed that up due to not being good at chemistry.

Not everyone can be Isaac Asimov. I forgive you Weir, good effort.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rougey posted:

I think they got across a good sense of that when he's counting the potatoes he's got left after the hatch blew out, and he can hear the tarp blowing in the wind and knows how thin the gap between him and death is. He's trying to keep it together by doing a routine task/keeping busy, but as he counts he's basically struggling not to break down into tears.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

I think they got across a good sense of that when he's counting the potatoes he's got left after the hatch blew out, and he can hear the tarp blowing in the wind and knows how thin the gap between him and death is. He's trying to keep it together by doing a routine task/keeping busy, but as he counts he's basically struggling not to break down into tears.

He's also pretty traumatized by the ordeal, I feel. He doesn't even put on a space suit, like "gently caress it, if I die I die."

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
That was by far one of the best scenes.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Does Kristen Wiig's character have more to do in the book? I have no idea why she was in this movie.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I haven't read the book, but in the movie her purpose is pretty simple: She has things explained to her.

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

My name isnt slick, its Zoidberg. JOHN F***ING ZOIDBERG!

Hobo Clown posted:

Does Kristen Wiig's character have more to do in the book? I have no idea why she was in this movie.

Fairly similar in the book, but she has one hell of a dirty month in the book. I would also described her as a grade-A oval office in the book. I really didn't like her character in the book(but that might have been on purpose) and I think they did it better in the movie. She's far more likeable in the movie.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

In the book she also is the only other to agree with Mitch that Teddy is a coward, and she says it to his face. She also has one of my favorite lines; "How did you become NASA's PR administrator?" "gently caress if I know!" I actually thought she was a rather entertaining character.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I think missed the detail, but how did Matt Damon provide sunlight for his potato crop? Did he have sun lamps in the base?

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Nail Rat posted:

That was my assumption.

What a poo poo dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Baron Bifford posted:

I think missed the detail, but how did Matt Damon provide sunlight for his potato crop? Did he have sun lamps in the base?

In the book it's mentioned that the hab's lighting would provide enough "sunlight".

• Locked thread