Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Darkrenown posted:

Nah, Dreadnought had some wing turrets which could only fire to one side:

All centerline turret designs came later, with the Orion class super-dreadnoughts.

The BB PleasingFungus posted has the "cross-firing enabled" box checked though, indicating that its wing turrets can be fired across its deck, although with a fairly limited field of fire on the "wrong" side.

In RTW, you unlock the ability to have more centerline turrets, or cross-firing turrets at higher tech levels, so depending on how the semi-random research works out you have a transition period from Bs to BBs where you might have to accept turrets that can only fire to one side or cross-firing turrets for a while before you can design all centerline bad boys.

Why did they ever put turrets on the side though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

StashAugustine posted:

smac was a pretty dreadful game tho

like the writing was cool and good but it was really really bad

It was Civ 2 in space with some new mechanics sprinkled in.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

The Sharmat posted:

Yes, exactly.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Decrepus posted:

Why not?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Decrepus posted:

The late Victorian/Edwardian period was a strange time for ship design. There was even a point where naval designers experimented with ships built around ramming (because steam makes you independent of the wind so you're basically a super-galley, right, and you can do so much damage if you manage to hit a ship below the waterline, so...)

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Decrepus posted:

Dreadnought can fire 6 guns fore and aft and has an 8 gun broadside. Without superfiring turrets you need wing turrets to bring your broadside up to weight and superfiring turrets were a non-starter until the USA proved the turrets wouldn't destroy each other. With no wing turrets/superfiring you would only be able to bring 2 guns to bear during pursuit which isn't acceptable.

Your other option besides the dreadnought arrangement would be cross deck fire like indefatigable where all your guns are engaged in a broadside but that has it's own set of problems.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Tomn posted:

The late Victorian/Edwardian period was a strange time for ship design. There was even a point where naval designers experimented with ships built around ramming (because steam makes you independent of the wind so you're basically a super-galley, right, and you can do so much damage if you manage to hit a ship below the waterline, so...)

Odd, but effective against Martians.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Yes, exactly.

This is hosed up.

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Tomn posted:

hgggnnnnnnn..... now I feel like we should add ramming attacks to HOI4 ships

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

The Sharmat posted:

And compared to Civ 2 with expansions it was about as bad as the new Space Civ5. I am not sure why people bring it up so much as one of the better strategy games.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

podcat posted:

hgggnnnnnnn..... now I feel like we should add ramming attacks to HOI4 ships

Wasn't using destroyers to ram surfaced submarines a tactic used by the Allies during most of the war?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
It works against docks too! :eng101:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Tahirovic posted:

And compared to Civ 2 with expansions it was about as bad as the new Space Civ5. I am not sure why people bring it up so much as one of the better strategy games.

The concept was more of a novelty at the time probably. I'm sure nostalgia plays a role. I wouldn't go as far as what you're saying though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Ramming worked pretty well against the Admiral Hipper and the Surcouf too

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I can't find it right now but there's a video of someone playing Silent Hunter and jumping their sub out of the water at the right angle to land on a Japanese ship. I demand that be a valid if suicidal tactic.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

The Sharmat posted:

The concept was more of a novelty at the time probably. I'm sure nostalgia plays a role. I wouldn't go as far as what you're saying though.

Yeah, I never played it back then and when I decided to try, a couple of years ago, it just felt terribly outdated and unfun. Did not care about the supposedly superb writing neither (who gives a poo poo about writing on a strategy game).

At the same time, Master of Magic is even older and still a great game.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Master of Magic is beautiful but the ancient braindead AI ruins it. Not that some modern strategy games are much better.

Honestly I'd imagine anyone playing Civ 2 at this point for the first time would probably also find it dated and crappy. Civ 4 was the best Civ, i think.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The Sharmat posted:

Master of Magic is beautiful but the ancient braindead AI ruins it. Not that some modern strategy games are much better.

Honestly I'd imagine anyone playing Civ 2 at this point for the first time would probably also find it dated and crappy. Civ 4 was the best Civ, i think.

Civ 3 was the biggest leap-forward as far as converting unit support to an empire-wide calculation, fleshing out the concept of national borders (that SMAC kinda toyed with), introducing culture, strategic resources, and even the domination victory.

Civ 4 polished those ideas like a mofo, but I still go back to 3 over 4.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Test of Time, its soundtrack, and its scenarios will always hold a special place in my heart, mostly because it was my first strategy game. The only thing Civ 4 had missing was Civ 3's palace screen.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Civ 3 was the biggest leap-forward as far as converting unit support to an empire-wide calculation, fleshing out the concept of national borders (that SMAC kinda toyed with), introducing culture, strategic resources, and even the domination victory.

But Civ 4 had Rhye's and Fall of Civilization easily securing it 'best nostalgia civ game' by a mile.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Kavak posted:

I can't find it right now but there's a video of someone playing Silent Hunter and jumping their sub out of the water at the right angle to land on a Japanese ship. I demand that be a valid if suicidal tactic.

It's this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFN9nvFYHmk

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

420 Gank Mid posted:

But Civ 4 had Rhye's and Fall of Civilization easily securing it 'best nostalgia civ game' by a mile.

And Fall From Heaven, which makes it one of the best fantasy 4xs as well.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

But Civ3 removed the ability to secure your island's borders/coasts with units. No more super turtle strategy.
I think I actually like the current Civ5 over Civ4, at least I am happy enough with Civ5 that I don't need Civ4 anymore.

In the end none of those games is as fun as M.A.X

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

And Fall From Heaven, which makes it one of the best fantasy 4xs as well.

I'm still amazed a modder made something nearly on par with Master of Magic and Age of Wonders.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

This is amazing.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

The Sharmat posted:

I guess its really a challenge to make a strategy game with such complex mechanics and have an AI that knows how to play it.

Endless Legend is my favorite "fantasy-civ" game since MoM but the AI also really sucks at it, and that makes the game a lot less interesting and replayable.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
oops EDIT != QUOTE

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

On the other hand Civ 3's colony mechanic for getting distance resources was something I missed in 4.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Elias_Maluco posted:

I guess its really a challenge to make a strategy game with such complex mechanics and have an AI that knows how to play it.

Endless Legend is my favorite "fantasy-civ" game since MoM but the AI also really sucks at it, and that makes the game a lot less interesting and replayable.

Yeah there's just too many options and combos for MoM for an AI to be good at it. Dominions has the same problem.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I absolutely love MoM, and Age of Wonders (1 more than Shadow Magic, I've not played the others) but I've not been able to get into Civ4, even trying Fall from Heaven. I think it's because Paradox games just feel better to me, and I didn't grow up with it like I did MoM and AoW.

I would love a Paradox fantasy game.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
The AI doesn't get smarter or more capable in harder settings with Civ and others. They just literally cheat. That is the most annoying side of 4X games.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

YouTuber posted:

The AI doesn't get smarter or more capable in harder settings with Civ and others. They just literally cheat. That is the most annoying side of 4X games.

Well let me know if you come up with a process that lets the developer understand the best strats before the game even comes out so that that's even possible.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Panzeh posted:

Well let me know if you come up with a process that lets the developer understand the best strats before the game even comes out so that that's even possible.

Make the game phone home with every move every player makes, do some machine learning on the collected information, release AI patches monthly.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

There are some 4x games out there where the AI does actually get smarter on harder difficulties. AoW3 and HoMM series come to mind, but they also cheat on top of making better decisions.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
In AI War the AI getting smarter/gaining new abilities is one of the primary things that happens when the difficulty goes up.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

VostokProgram posted:

Make the game phone home with every move every player makes, do some machine learning on the collected information, release AI patches monthly.

That's also a pretty insane task right there.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

There are some 4x games out there where the AI does actually get smarter on harder difficulties. AoW3 and HoMM series come to mind, but they also cheat on top of making better decisions.

Typically difficulty increases AI aggression which is sometimes good, sometimes bad. It's really hard to justify hiding your best AI behaviors behind a difficulty curve, though- if you have a good AI you want to show it off.

uPen posted:

In AI War the AI getting smarter/gaining new abilities is one of the primary things that happens when the difficulty goes up.

The AI doesn't even really play the same game as you, though, so you can kinda brute force some things- nothing the AI does in that game could be called 'cheating' because it isn't really playing by your rules.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Panzeh posted:

That's also a pretty insane task right there.

Yeah, it's a terrible idea in practice, but if you really want an AI that stays competitive no matter what tactics players develop, it's either that or manually coding new behaviors to deal with strategies that become popular. I guess you could pay a full-time employee to watch twitch 8 hours a day and take notes on any interesting tactics streamers talk about?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

VostokProgram posted:

Yeah, it's a terrible idea in practice, but if you really want an AI that stays competitive no matter what tactics players develop, it's either that or manually coding new behaviors to deal with strategies that become popular. I guess you could pay a full-time employee to watch twitch 8 hours a day and take notes on any interesting tactics streamers talk about?
To bring it back home, isn't this what they do for EU4?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Panzeh posted:

It'd help a lot of Firaxis actually had a post-release attitude towards expansions and patches that wasn't straight out of 2005. I don't think it's like they need to be watching streams all day long, but especially with Beyond Earth they just seemed so completely out of touch. Tbf personally I don't think AI cheating is a bad thing at all as long as it isn't super obvious, but actually balancing your game around strategies that happen after launch shouldn't be some unattainable thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

When I was a kid playing the first Age of Empires, I thought that the "computer" enemies were actually all human players in the employ of Ensemble Studios, and that setting different difficulty levels connected me with players of varying levels of skill. I'd trash talk them with in the in-game chat and call them poopy-head if they were on the opposing side, and thank them if they were fighting alongside me.

What I'm saying is that Paradox needs to hire a literal army of gamers to play as every "AI" faction, to create a truly dynamic playing experience.