Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Gotta wait for DQH 8 for the full cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I like that they used the Wanderer's Gate theme in this game, it's so great. It spices up a lot of story scenes.

Also, Healix has the cutest voice ever.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Nemo2342 posted:

I don't think I could buy something so unrealistic. I mean, everyone knows that if you accept the Dragon Lord's offer you die and respawn at the king, losing half your gold. That doesn't instantly wreck the kingdom, you just go back and don't be a dumbass the 2nd time!

Wait, what? If you accept the Dragonlord's offer you are murdered and the game softlocks.

At least on NES DW1. I didn't play the remakes, why should I? Game was perfect out of the box.

And maybe the Japanese game did something different, but I wouldn't know. I don't speak Japanese. :colbert:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Nemo2342 posted:

I don't think I could buy something so unrealistic. I mean, everyone knows that if you accept the Dragon Lord's offer you die and respawn at the king, losing half your gold. That doesn't instantly wreck the kingdom, you just go back and don't be a dumbass the 2nd time!

That's what makes it an alternate timeline. :colbert:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

I dislike 6's implementation of a class-changing system, but I like everything else about it. I like that it has a dense and complex overworld and I like the way the plot goes aimless for a while as you just travel around trying to find yourself (literally).

It's cool that for like 20 hours of that game you're kinda just wandering around on a boat with no purpose.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I'm beginning to think the sound effects in DQ Heroes are a bit too spot on. I'm having DQ 1 flashbacks every time I fight metal slimes and constantly hear the "You Miss!" sound playing.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Hey thread there was a website I used when Terry's Wonderland came out for breeding lists, I just bought it(again) and DQM2 3D but I cant find the website anymore. I had thought it was Woodus but it doesn't look like it. Any ideas?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So for most of the characters I don't know I just kinda write them off as they appear like Terry's a 14 year old edgelord or whatever but I gotta ask what the hell is Maya's deal. "Ah she's just a dancer in these types of games whatever." but then she turned into a dragon and :stare:

Also is Yangus really popular in Japan? He's one of my favorite characters from the series (that I know of) and it's great seeing he seems to have the biggest roll of the cameo dudes via Healix but found it kinda odd that he's treated almost like a main character. Healix even shows up for his special attack!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yangus was popular enough to get his own spinoff game.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

but I gotta ask what the hell is Maya's deal. "Ah she's just a dancer in these types of games whatever." but then she turned into a dragon and :stare:
Maya is an offensive spellcaster in DQ4. One of the spells she learns is called "Puff!"

It turns her into a Dragon.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

ImpAtom posted:

Yangus was popular enough to get his own spinoff game.

Oh that's cool, I faintly recalled hearing about it but not much else.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
The game centers around the character Yangus, who is a main character in Dragon Quest VIII, as a child.[1] Described as a "plump bandit", he becomes involved with his father Yampa's gang of thieves when a mysterious jug is brought home.[3][5] Though instructed not to touch the jug, Yangus does, and is sucked inside the bottle into another world called "Bottle Land".

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

sounds like a metaphor for alcoholism

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Yangus's game is a Mystery Dungeon game. If you've played one (Chocobo, Pokemon, Shiren), you've played them all. There's some stuff specific to DQ mechanics like monster fusion I think? I played it like 9 years ago though, and I never finished it because I got bored.

I mainly remember it for being one of the only games I've ever played to forbid copying its memory card file to a second memory card. I had to use a Codebreaker to bypass this, just to reorganize my memory cards. :argh:

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Dr Pepper posted:

Maya is an offensive spellcaster in DQ4. One of the spells she learns is called "Puff!"

It turns her into a Dragon.

And in the original NES translation it was just helpfully called BeDragon, and was (if I recall correctly) I great way to kill groups of metal babbles.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
I don't know if any of this has already been posted here but, after threatening to never localize the 3DS versions of DQ 7 and 8 if Heroes fails (a backflip from this), Square-Enix has stated that they are considering crowdfunding localizations they'd otherwise pass on.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Nemo2342 posted:

And in the original NES translation it was just helpfully called BeDragon, and was (if I recall correctly) I great way to kill groups of metal babbles.

Only in DQ3. In DQ4 they made it hit for 1 damage instead of being defense-ignoring and in DQ4 you had a better chance of Alena just critting a metal bable than killing one with BeDragon. Plus once you had the metal babble sword it made life a bit easier since that'd always hit for 2(!!!!) damage.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Evil Fluffy posted:

Only in DQ3. In DQ4 they made it hit for 1 damage instead of being defense-ignoring and in DQ4 you had a better chance of Alena just critting a metal bable than killing one with BeDragon. Plus once you had the metal babble sword it made life a bit easier since that'd always hit for 2(!!!!) damage.

Yeah, you're right. I was thinking of the end of 3 where you could find groups of metal enemies and the best way to farm them was to hope your sage/wizard could get off a BeDragon before they all fled.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

BiggerJ posted:

I don't know if any of this has already been posted here but, after threatening to never localize the 3DS versions of DQ 7 and 8 if Heroes fails (a backflip from this), Square-Enix has stated that they are considering crowdfunding localizations they'd otherwise pass on.

This is pathetic. SE is a huge goddamn company. Do it and put it out and the people who want it will buy it. gently caress, put it on PC and the JRPG hungry masses will flood to it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

That was a change made to the DS version, wasn't it?

The Machine posted:

This is pathetic. SE is a huge goddamn company. Do it and put it out and the people who want it will buy it. gently caress, put it on PC and the JRPG hungry masses will flood to it.

The issue is that they don't believe enough people would buy it to make it worth the time and money. A big company is if anything less likely to do something "just because" because they have a lot of other sources of income they can invest in.

It's really loving tiring how every single untranslated JRPG would be a ~huge success~ if it was localized even though more often than not it isn't true. Dragon Quest is weird, obtuse and intentionally archiac to the point the action-RPG spinoff actually has intentionally archaic menu design to appeal to a nostalgia most people in the west don't have. I like it a lot but it isn't universal by any means.

Dragon Quest is a charming franchise but it also is very very safe in a way that might feel outright tedious to people. Random encounters, a greater emphasis on grinding, awkward and user-unfriendly mechanics, and every Dragon Quest not named VIII honestly isn't much to look at, especially prior to the DS updates. No amount of charming is going to get someone past moments they genuinely don't enjoy and DQ has a lot that could do that. DQVII taking hours to get to even the first battle is a great example of that. DQVII3DS tones some of that down but it still is Dragon Quest.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 22, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The other issue, if you can call it that, is that S-E is still fairly conservative when it comes to DQ and they're not as willing to vomit it out onto every platform in as many forms as possible like they do with FF and other franchises.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The other issue, if you can call it that, is that S-E is still fairly conservative when it comes to DQ and they're not as willing to vomit it out onto every platform in as many forms as possible like they do with FF and other franchises.

You can buy DQ 1 through 8 (except 7) on phones though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've been playing through DQVIII for the first time and this game would be perfect if here was a little more clarity as to what skills will give you and how many points they need. Otherwise I love it all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Eh, I wouldn't say that. Dragon Quest V was available on the SNES, reported to the PS2. re-reported to the DS and is now available on iOS and Android. They're not shy about re-releasing it.

In Training posted:

I've been playing through DQVIII for the first time and this game would be perfect if here was a little more clarity as to what skills will give you and how many points they need. Otherwise I love it all.

DQVIII is the high-point of the series in terms of accessibility I think. It's about as mechanically-polished as the series has gotten (though it has flaws), it looks really good even for its age, and it has a sense of scale the other games don't have. It certainly has some dragon quest issues but if there was one I'd go all-in on, it'd be DQVIII. Problems is these days it'd be a lovely mobile port or a lovely 3DS port...

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 22, 2015

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
DQ8 is awesome but it's the only one I can't go back and play because of the load times and stupidly long animations at the beginning of battles.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I feel like even if Square did kickstarters for games like that they'd deliberately not pick Dragon Quest and ignore requests for it, because that's just what they do.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Justin_Brett posted:

I feel like even if Square did kickstarters for games like that they'd deliberately not pick Dragon Quest and ignore requests for it, because that's just what they do.

Yeah, they didn't just release a Dragon Quest game over here...?

Think about how legitimately silly it sounds to go "I bet this company is being mean and not translating a game because they hate everyone." No matter how convinced you are, personally, that Square-Enix has an employee dedicated going "Hm, I bet Justin_Brett would enjoy this, let's not do it," that is probably not true. More likely than not if something is being ignored it is because it is not considered profitable or there are external measures blocking it. I know for a fact there are seemingly easily-localized games that are not localized because one or more companies involved have goofy contracts which prevent it. Companies like XSEED and Atlus have had to accept games they normally wouldn't localize to get access to games they would and that isn't always cost-effective to do. S-E probably doesn't have that specific problem but who knows. The difference between Japanese and American branches can sometimes be absurd.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 22, 2015

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I need to go back and finish VIII. I was at castle Trodan and the encounter rate was driving me nuts along with each battle taking around 5 or more mins each at this point.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Eh, I wouldn't say that. Dragon Quest V was available on the SNES, reported to the PS2. re-reported to the DS and is now available on iOS and Android. They're not shy about re-releasing it.

DQVIII is the high-point of the series in terms of accessibility I think. It's about as mechanically-polished as the series has gotten (though it has flaws), it looks really good even for its age, and it has a sense of scale the other games don't have. It certainly has some dragon quest issues but if there was one I'd go all-in on, it'd be DQVIII. Problems is these days it'd be a lovely mobile port or a lovely 3DS port...

Or the PS2 version! Which is what I'm playing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In Training posted:

Or the PS2 version! Which is what I'm playing.

The PS2 version is the one I'd want but also the one least easily ported. It's also worth noting the PS2 version had a lot of improvements which were not backported and so we could get a Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth situation where they do the PS2 JP version instead of the PS2 English version. :smith:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Think about how legitimately silly it sounds to go "I bet this company is being mean and not translating a game because they hate everyone." No matter how convinced you are, personally, that Square-Enix has an employee dedicated going "Hm, I bet Justin_Brett would enjoy this, let's not do it," that is probably not true. More likely than not if something is being ignored it is because it is not considered profitable or there are external measures blocking it. I know for a fact there are seemingly easily-localized games that are not localized because one or more companies involved have goofy contracts which prevent it. Companies like XSEED and Atlus have had to accept games they normally wouldn't localize to get access to games they would and that isn't always cost-effective to do. S-E probably doesn't have that specific problem but who knows. The difference between Japanese and American branches can sometimes be absurd.

Heck, with big companies sometimes it can also be such that a translation would be profitable but not profitable enough compared to the other options they have available for utilizing those resources

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's always dumb to say that a big company isn't doing something because they don't like money, because the opposite is true

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

ImpAtom posted:

That's true, but it was also one developed by another company rather than in-house, which was probably a factor along with it having a smaller script (I think Koei said as much, but I can't remember where I saw it).

And yeah, definitely unfair to say there's some guy wringing his hands, pushing a button marked 'Don't localize Dragon Quest' over and over. But for a while there was a period where they seemed to try and avoid talking about it as much as possible. I guess we're out of that now, but I still wouldn't be surprised if they thought a kickstarter for something else might get more than one for DQ.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Justin_Brett posted:

I still wouldn't be surprised if they thought a kickstarter for something else might get more than one for DQ.

I would if just because I can't think of anything else S-E has that isn't localized. They have some minor niche games maybe but even most of those are D-Q spinoffs.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
You know you can obviate DQ8's load times by popping the disc into your PC and playing it in PCSX2. There were a couple tweaks I had to learn about to make the menus/overlays look normal but it's not tricky or anything.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

A translation Kickstarter would just be a "if we get enough pre-orders this will be worth releasing," and that is cool with me. Much better than not trying at all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crimson Harvest posted:

You know you can obviate DQ8's load times by popping the disc into your PC and playing it in PCSX2. There were a couple tweaks I had to learn about to make the menus/overlays look normal but it's not tricky or anything.

DQVIII is seriously up there with the best-aging games on the system, it is absurd how good it looks even now. It is showing its age but the cartoony cel-shaded style frankly (especially with emu smoothing) makes it look better than some PS3 games.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
That's just anisotropic filtering and anti-aliasing. The real magic happens when the game runs at 1920x1080 instead of 640x480 interlaced.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

DQVIII is seriously up there with the best-aging games on the system, it is absurd how good it looks even now. It is showing its age but the cartoony cel-shaded style frankly (especially with emu smoothing) makes it look better than some PS3 games.

Definitely. The PS2 gen is when 3D technically came into its own and I don't really think graphics have gotten much better. Like the fidelity can be higher but all that matters is a unified and interesting art direction to make games look good and that really hasn't fundamentally changed in like 15 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I still think Square-Enix would do pretty well porting Dragon Quest to Steam. The games Dragon Quest were inspired by all started on the PC and I think there'd be more PC gamers who have a nostalgia for the game systems Dragon Quest has over console players. I could be wrong, but that's the impression I get.

Only problem is, I just know if they were to port them to PC it'd be the mobile versions.