Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AnxiousSloth posted:

I'm going to vote yes, and I'm curious. How much longer is the game? I've quite enjoyed it so far although the character dialog seems really quiet and I had to turn up my speakers to hear.

We just got into the second chapter out of the five for the main story. Side quests obviously add more time to the playthrough. Though those sort of trail off after this chapter and the main story is pretty much all we are directed towards doing.

It also doesn't help I've taken forever with updates over the past month or so, going to try up the output so there's at least a new one each week.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Whisperer
May 12, 2015
Voting YES.
Hope you're still interested in continuing this, I've been quite enjoying the ride so far.
I've still yet to play Styx, but you've really made me consider picking it up when the next steam sale comes along.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am, I just have been super lazy and focusing on other stuff for the past few weeks.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We're back after another lengthy break because I am a bad and got caught up doing dumb things with my life.

In other news, Styx Master of Shadows is $10 on Steam right now: http://store.steampowered.com/app/242640/

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
http://www.styx-thegame.com/en/news/36-shards-of-darkness-styx-will-be-back-in-2016.html

styx 2

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
gently caress yeah. I really hope they'll keep the clone traps, that's one of the most hilarious stealth game gimmicks I've ever seen.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

If I were any good at Styx Master of Shadows I'd do it as an LP after this one.

Edit - Actually it'd be cool to see someone do an LP of it if any of you are so inclined.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 14, 2015

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I hate to dredge this up if it's been a thing in the past, but as neat as the gameplay and the world conceits are, the story itself seems like...

Well, it seems like they had three different orcs (soldier, shaman, berserker) and three different goblins (assassin, cutpurse, crimelord) and these six characters each have their own stories and reasons for acting but for some reason Arhail and Styx are reading all their lines?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The story is definitely quirky, but I think it flows fairly decently. Ark is, basically, a warrior trying to preserve his culture while Styx is a liar and a crook who has no issue calling out the bullshit he sees.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Oct 21, 2015

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I have been catching up on this LP and I wanted to say you are doing a great job so far. This probably just shows what a dummy I am but I didn't know the Styx character was from this game originally as I played his game first. I really love all the effort that seems to have gone into building the world so far and I am looking forward to the rest of the game.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks dude. I am never quit sure how to assess how my own VO stuff comes across.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Unfunny Poster posted:

We're back after another lengthy break because I am a bad and got caught up doing dumb things with my life.

In other news, Styx Master of Shadows is $10 on Steam right now: http://store.steampowered.com/app/242640/

Just caught up on part 9 and wow Styx monologuing at the end. :eyepop:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I really like how you walk up to a npc and one of the dialog options is just killing him instantly. :allears:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Arkail! You're the only one that can stop the genocide of the orcs!
:downs: OK
*kills 50 orcs*

Also good on Arkail for sticking up for Styx and demanding he gets some respect. :unsmith:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah the fact Arkail is totally down to murder his fellow Orcs while saying he needs to free them and preserve their ways is always kind of funny.

Edit - Also by this point you should start to notice that the writers start to get more of a grasp of what they want the characters to be like which is a shame since the first act of the game was pretty much bogged down with ham fisted dialogue.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 23, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, they do improve the characters, but the dialogue is still pretty drat horrible - I think they never really realized that making every other word "gently caress" isn't exactly the best way to make your story seem dark; Styx's game suffers from it too.
On the other hand, the potential is definitely there: the already mentioned Styx' monologue from the end of update 9 is just amazing.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah the characters really grew from very bland stereotypes to "oh neat they got some personality & actual characterization" in the course of the first few hours.

And yes, that monologue by Styx is good. It's one of the couple of scenes in the game that redeemed the poorer areas in my opinion.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

We have another vote to determine what happens next.

Do we help Drakane the Shaman, or do we start the revolt right away?

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 3, 2015

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Get the water. We've already done everything else to help the rebellion succeed so why not.
Plus making Styx confront some more wild goblins should be fun to watch.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Help Drakane. It's pretty clear that assisting the shaman will strengthen the resistance, and improve the lot of life for those in the Mire. At the very least, the Shaman's magics and promise of the Rain of the Fearless will help even the field considering the resistance has to get deeper into human territory.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Help Drakane

You should think about using defensive mode for Arkail more. Basically whenever he's fighting more than one guy.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Holey moley I'm back with another episode after like a month of being bad at making updates. Apologies for that.

Anyway we're off to help Drakane and also plan our rebellion.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Glad to see this back. Finished Styx recently and was hoping I'd be able to see the rest of this too.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Did I miss something or didn't you turn in the water for the Shaman?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sylphosaurus posted:

Did I miss something or didn't you turn in the water for the Shaman?

You did not miss that. I didn't talk to him after the mission, however it doesn't change anything in terms of what happens with the mission. It's odd.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
New episode. This one features part of one of the most frustrating and annoying areas of the game. It also showcases why and how this game needed a lot more QA/development time.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Wow, what crappy design! Let's makea series of fights where the ideal strategy is to outsmart enemy pathfinding to sloooooowly regenerate health just to survive, because the waves come to fast for out-of-combat regen to do anything useful!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Is there really no way to gain significant-ish heath back during combat? Most fights up until this level didn't necessarily seem to need them but all of them there seem like they would overwhelm you no matter what. Even earlier in the video the only reason you didn't have to fight twice as many guards was because they were caught on the stairs.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kibayasu posted:

Is there really no way to gain significant-ish heath back during combat? Most fights up until this level didn't necessarily seem to need them but all of them there seem like they would overwhelm you no matter what. Even earlier in the video the only reason you didn't have to fight twice as many guards was because they were caught on the stairs.

Nope. The items we've picked up/traded for so far are the only good ones at giving health buffs and you don't get much for it in that section. Also yeah, the path finding is also an issue.

The game certainly has plenty of flaws.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's been like 2 months, and I feel really bad about not updating this LP in that time.

So I bring to you the thrilling conclusion of that cliffhanger I left you guys on back in December, the finale of that terrible area we left Arkail & Styx in while attacking the fortress in The Mire.

Edit - Also, expect more regular updates for this LP.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 24, 2016

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Seems like a lot of people and all just for one lousy beggar. Must be a really slow day for the inquisition.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Poil posted:

Seems like a lot of people and all just for one lousy beggar. Must be a really slow day for the inquisition.

Union rules require there to be 10 soldiers per prisoner.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Two updates in one week is spoiling you guys, but you deserve it.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
To not get too spoiler heavy we're going to have a choice the plot gives us coming up very soon. It will affect not our character mentality, but our combat stats so the choices we have are...

Arkail - Do we make him more offensive or make him more defensive when it comes to combat stats?

Styx - Do we make him more focused on melee combat, or give him buffs to his ranged combat stats?

Vote by stating "Offense/Defense" for Arkail and "Melee/Ranged" for Styx in your post.

Thanks.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Defence and Melee

So the big guy survives long enough to toss the goblin blender at ALL the enemies!

I liked the trial you rightfully interrupted. The high inquisitor is just so supremely smug about sentencing some poor to an extra gruesome execution because he stole from the inquisition. And then the guy so cheerfully admitting that he's probably going to die anyway!
What a world.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We return, and again apologies for the large gaps in updates.

When last we saw Arkail & Styx they saved the fair mage from the prisons of the evil empire to...well....*sigh* you'll see :ughh:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Wha...? Did he really say? For fucks sake. :cripes:

This made me uncomfortable. Who the hell thought that was a good idea?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I get what they were trying to convey, but they could've chosen a better phrase or word to get the message across :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Seriously, it has to be a mistranslation from hell, right?

• Locked thread