Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

joats posted:

This video seems like the reviewers are on a pay roll from the developers.
Kinda. I doubt it's direct like that. Here's how it works:

Tech/gaming reporting and really trade reporting in general is all access-based. But more importantly Polygon is (I'm guessing) mostly VC funded. The VC types want to maximize views, which means the reporters are under a lot of stress to produce content quickly. This shouldn't be surprising to anyone.

Where it gets far more shady is when the VCs want to drive funding into *the industry,* which then produces content that brings ad revenue into the publications. It's a glorious self-licking lollipop and is not even about Star Citizen really. It's just how trade rags and VC-funded blogs cover games, tech, model trains ... whatever. CIG doesn't have to pay any publications to give them good coverage, there's just few incentives to do otherwise.

Edit: Basically this is a recipe for a giant blob of hype for every conceivable thing spreading across the media industry.

What I don't understand is why Star Citizen fans feel aggrieved and oppressed by Derek Smart and The Escapist. For crying out loud, 99 percent of the coverage has been breathless hype. The company has scored $93+ million. There are media organizations with tens of millions of dollars in combined VC funding promoting it.

In terms of crowdfunding games, Star Citizen is commercially dominant over all competitors. It's not even close.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Oct 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Szcwczuk posted:

It's also sweeter then an entire bowl of sugar, It's fun when you're a kid but after a point you drink it after seeing it and instantly regret the whole idea.

Ugh... reminds me of the time as a kid when I bought a bottle of chocolate flavored soda. It was the grossest thing I've ever tasted and I don't think they sold those for very long. The label had a picture of a clown in it, which was fitting as I certainly felt like one for buying it. :barf:

Nation posted:

this is a doxx:

Holy poo poo. :stonk: That guy was a total creep but can't help but feel sorry for him anyway. That poor family...

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
That is not the way to be accepted, Seraph.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
i saw someone in these and i think they got doxxed

please advise

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Meta-Mollusk posted:

Ugh... reminds me of the time as a kid when I bought a bottle of chocolate flavored soda. It was the grossest thing I've ever tasted and I don't think they sold those for very long. The label had a picture of a clown in it, which was fitting as I certainly felt like one for buying it. :barf:

This thing was released recently for a limited time around here. It was supposed to be in celebration of a cookie, what it did for me was make me regret food for a while.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Szcwczuk posted:

Please tell me there's somewhere I can read more poo poo like this.

old sa was a lot more personal - people would gladly post their pictures, tell you they sniff panties...a golden age of posting

also someone posted that in gbs a few days ago, there are so many crazy saga's, gooncon/camp was a loving horror show

oh and one of my favourites;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdCyJgfQsRo

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nation posted:

this is a doxx:

It's also hilarious.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

I'm out! Finally!

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

The Mantis posted:

i saw someone in these and i think they got doxxed

please advise

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Szcwczuk posted:

Why would he post that on a loving comedy forum, god this place is hosed up.

Whoever doxxed him took him seriously in GBS . Goons eat goons.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Ayn Randi posted:

star citizen: the doxtor is in

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Oh, and welcome back Seraph. Glad you're back.

Please don't stop posting.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Wulfling posted:

I'm out! Finally!

I'm not trying to be lovely but why would you drop nearly a thousand bux on a video game? I mean I get it's a hobby and we all spend a poo poo load on it but that's a lot for one game.

What was the thought process?

was it all at once or over time?

What did you think the game would be all said and done?

What specifically drove you to a refund?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Szcwczuk posted:

I'm not trying to be lovely but why would you drop nearly a thousand bux on a video game? I mean I get it's a hobby and we all spend a poo poo load on it but that's a lot for one game.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
Well if that's not the perfect answer to all those questions.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man, that thread I linked earlier is hilarious. This one SC guy is basically going "nuh uh" the whole time to his own logic being used against him and he uses the tried and true method of "yeah but you're poo poo posting" as his final retort.

These guys are really loving adorable and not in the "they're so cute can we keep them?" way, but in the "they're so full of cognitive dissonance they can't figure out whats going on" kind of way.

Even if this game never comes out, we've already won at it :allears:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

SneakyFrog posted:

never noticed it being pink but i totally agree with the rest.

Huh, apprently it's a regional thing. Here's what cream soda looks like in my part of the world:

You don't want to know what that does to a man.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Holy poo poo this thread really moves fast, from creepy goon food to goon doxxing. God I love this thread so much!
But I think I'll go back to killing ratmen now.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

Szcwczuk posted:

I fell into the same stupid trap most whales fell into. I wanted this game, albeit back before it had made even $30m. I wanted all the various different things to do rolled up into one game instead of a dozen or more as is whats available on steam. I wanted Space Engineers mixed with Eve, Freespace, Freelancer, and Mass Effect. I was an idiot.

Szcwczuk posted:

Over about a year and a half. A ship here, a ship there, suddenly "Oh gently caress I've spent how much?"

Szcwczuk posted:

I honestly thought it would finally be the game we always wanted, but without falling short. STO/TOR are great examples of this, recent ones as well.

Szcwczuk posted:

I first started to realize what was going on back around the initial hanger missing its date by a long while. From that point on it was just a constant erosion of my faith in the company to deliver anything tangible, ever. Everything that happened in Sept is what finally pushed me over. Same with most of the people in this thread I image, as that is when everyone started going for them. CitCon, Beer getting hosed, the Escapist article, all of that cemented the decision as the correct one.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Wulfling posted:

I'm out! Finally!

Wow, you really were in deep. :shepspends: Congrats for regaining your sanity.

Szcwczuk posted:

This thing was released recently for a limited time around here. It was supposed to be in celebration of a cookie, what it did for me was make me regret food for a while.

I can believe that. My incident was like 20 years ago and the mere thought of it still makes me shudder.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Omi-Polari posted:

Kinda. I doubt it's direct like that. Here's how it works:

Tech/gaming reporting and really trade reporting in general is all access-based. But more importantly Polygon is (I'm guessing) mostly VC funded. The VC types want to maximize views, which means the reporters are under a lot of stress to produce a lot of content quickly. This shouldn't be surprising to anyone.

Where it gets far more shady is when the VCs want to drive funding into *the industry,* which then produces content that brings ad revenue into the publications. It's a glorious self-licking lollipop and is not even about Star Citizen per se. It's just how trade rags and VC-funded blogs cover games, tech, model trains ... whatever. CIG doesn't have to pay any publications to give them good coverage, there's just lots of heavy disincentives to do otherwise.

Edit: Basically this is a recipe for a giant blob of hype for every conceivable thing spreading across the media industry.

What I don't understand is why Star Citizen fans feel aggrieved and oppressed by Derek Smart and The Escapist. For crying out loud, 99 percent of the coverage has been nothing but breathless hype. The company has scored $93+ million. They have media organizations with tens of millions of dollars in combined VC funding promoting the game. In terms of crowdfunding games, Star Citizen is commercially dominant over all of their competitors. It's not even close.

Oh I understand the need to have good standings with developers, publishers, and other media sources. I am a fan of Giant Bomb's (a professional review site about video games) honest video coverage of gameplay in quick 30 minute segments. And I have read a bit about the repercussions and strange dealings with publishers and media outlets. However, what is being said in the video I have linked has no weight in sanity given towards what is coming out of their mouths. It might as well be as transparent as a GIF image of Chris Roberts throwing money around and yelling "talk about my game and we will give you more stuff". Especially since Giant Bomb has shown that speaking the truth, while upsetting to the developer, can be entertaining to the viewer. Honest opinions and media can still be successful but rare.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Keith Elwood posted:

gently caress you for doxxing me Derek. You're not a good person and deep down you know it. Bring the pain rear end in a top hat, if you come after me with lawyers I'll blow my brains out live on the internet. Then what?

I hope it's Seraph again. Hey, buy me the smart tag.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Thanks for that it's cool to hear some back story.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Wulfling posted:

I'm out! Finally!

jfc

congrats on successfully bailing on part of your stupidity

e: i'm liking the number of duck avs on this page

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

joats posted:

Oh I understand the need to have good standings with developers, publishers, and other media sources. I am a fan of Giant Bomb's (a professional review site about video games) honest video coverage of gameplay in quick 30 minute segments. And I have read a bit about the repercussions and strange dealings with publishers and media outlets. However, what is being said in the video I have linked has no weight in sanity given towards what is coming out of their mouths. It might as well be as transparent as a GIF image of Chris Roberts throwing money around and yelling "talk about my game and we will give you more stuff". Especially since Giant Bomb has shown that speaking the truth, while upsetting to the developer, can be entertaining to the viewer. Honest opinions and media can still be successful but rare.

It can indeed be successful in the sense that people will click on it and engage in a conversation, but it's not financially viable in this day and age sadly. We've also entered the Era of opinion = fact, and the lines between editorial and news are becoming increasingly blurred. It's dangerous.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheRoadbeer posted:

I just said I can't imagine any other reason. And based my assumption on that. It's how theories are formed, until presented with supporting or conflicting evidence, I just have that theory to go on.

But this has all been an interesting deflection from the fact that Derek doxed someone, SA provided the platform, and for some reason you want to dispute that.

non-cultist posted:

quote:

I just have that theory to go on.

Sure, and I said your theory is flawed because you're not supporting your assumption with any supporting evidence or facts. You're supporting your assumption with another assumption.

quote:

Derek doxed someone, SA provided the platform, and for some reason you want to dispute that.

Actually that's not what happened, aside from the fact that SA was the platform for the post (why you think I ever disputed that is confusing). Again, you're attempting to pass off your assumptious theories as fact. I stated that under the available definition of doxing, via Google & the dictionary (https://www.google.com/search?q=doxxing&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8), what was posted by Derek failed to be as such because no maliciousness can be proven, using facts & evidence, behind his post.

You claimed that it was doxxing because "just because your information is out...Doesn't mean you doxx yourself if someone happens along it and puts the dots together" (https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/3puh5y/retraction/cw9sp4e).

Using your subjective definition you came up with, you can certainly accuse Derek of doxxing. However what I used originally was a definition using neutral sources.

Anyway, even if we were to use your subjective definition then Derek's post is no more guilty of doxxing than this subreddit, r/shitdereksmartsays, and other similar subreddits you appear to be a regular on. This is, again using your personal definition, his personal information is being shared without his permission, let alone that for his wife & children.

So again, using your own previously stated personal definition of what doxxing is; can you provide proof that Derek Smart gave permission for his personal information to be posted (eg. his real name, employment, etc.) here?

TheRoadbeer posted:

You know, if you cant make your point in a couple short sentences, it's a lie.

That's a whole lot of spleuging you have going on there and I've entertained myself enough watching your mental gymnastics.

Derek doxed, SA provided the platform and you're deflecting to cover the tracks. Lulz, have a great evening.

In other words "LALALALALALA, CAN'T HEAR YOU I AM RIGHT AND YOU'RE WRONG, LALALALALALA"

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

duckfarts posted:

jfc

congrats on successfully bailing on part of your stupidity

e: i'm liking the number of duck avs on this page

It's a rabbit.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Paladinus posted:

It's a rabbit.

it's a DUCK

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

Unfunny Poster posted:

Sure, and I said your theory is flawed because you're not supporting your assumption with any supporting evidence or facts. You're supporting your assumption with another assumption.

Actually that's not what happened, aside from the fact that SA was the platform for the post (why you think I ever disputed that is confusing). Again, you're attempting to pass off your assumptious theories as fact. I stated that under the available definition of doxing, via Google & the dictionary (https://www.google.com/search?q=doxxing&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8), what was posted by Derek failed to be as such because no maliciousness can be proven, using facts & evidence, behind his post.

You claimed that it was doxxing because "just because your information is out...Doesn't mean you doxx yourself if someone happens along it and puts the dots together" (https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/3puh5y/retraction/cw9sp4e).

Using your subjective definition you came up with, you can certainly accuse Derek of doxxing. However what I used originally was a definition using neutral sources.

Anyway, even if we were to use your subjective definition then Derek's post is no more guilty of doxxing than this subreddit, r/shitdereksmartsays, and other similar subreddits you appear to be a regular on. This is, again using your personal definition, his personal information is being shared without his permission, let alone that for his wife & children.

So again, using your own previously stated personal definition of what doxxing is; can you provide proof that Derek Smart gave permission for his personal information to be posted (eg. his real name, employment, etc.) here?

In other words "LALALALALALA, CAN'T HEAR YOU I AM RIGHT AND YOU'RE WRONG, LALALALALALA"
[/quote]

If mental gymnastics were in the Olympics this would have taken Silver at least.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

duckfarts posted:

it's a DUCK

Rabbit!

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011
LOL, why do people even engage those idiots.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Wulfling posted:

I'm out! Finally!

Congrats on not falling down the hole and wasting more money on promises to come.

Were there any delays, backpedals, better offers if you stick with them or was a painless release?

joats fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Oct 23, 2015

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

If mental gymnastics were in the Olympics this would have taken Silver at least.
[/quote]

Edit: this was in regards to the it's to long therfore a lie response in the OP.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
This is the best thread!

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

no_recall posted:

This is the best thread!

You can tell this man isn't lying!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

Those were from 40 mins ago, he just posted this

TheRoadbeer posted:

Still nothing eh puddin? That's ok, I didn't expect much when you started covering your bullshit in multi paragraph spleuging. Come back when you come up with something, I'm sure it'll be adorable.

Him being made into a cuckboy on Reddit must have hit close to home for him.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Oct 23, 2015

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Nation posted:

a lot of people were young and very naive about the internet back then, poo poo a lot of ppl still had 56k

Star Citizen: 56k burn a jpeg

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

joats posted:

Congrats on not falling down the hole and wasting more money on promises to come.

Were there any delays, backpedals, better offers if you stick with them or was a painless release?

They straight up tried to ignore me for ~11 days after they asked to confirm the details of the refund. On day 11, I sent them 4 messages, two of which outlined my beginning to go to amazon to charge back every single payment to RSI/CIG, which totaled more than the refund. They Processed it the next day, money went through two days later.

Chargebacks really get them in a panic and will do what ever you ask of them at that point.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Wulfling posted:

They straight up tried to ignore me for ~11 days after they asked to confirm the details of the refund. On day 11, I sent them 4 messages, two of which outlined my beginning to go to amazon to charge back every single payment to RSI/CIG, which totaled more than the refund. They Processed it the next day, money went through two days later.

Chargebacks really get them in a panic and will do what ever you ask of them at that point.
I think it's because the more of them they get, the more they'll get flagged by that processor as being potentially shady
DUCK!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Ducks are badass and cool.

• Locked thread