Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Nation posted:

this is a doxx:

you people have no decency, kink shaming is wrong and you should all be ashamed of yourselves for laughing at this poor man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Have any of you guys played Rebel Galaxy? It's another space game that's kinda like a Freelancer / AC4 hybrid with a cool country western soundtrack. However it is also $20, which by digital spaceship logic means it's only about 1/50th as good as Star Citizen will be to premium backers like Wulfling. Anyways, it's pretty fun and perhaps most importantly, a game that exists. God bless.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Alright, fine. I'll use part of my refund to pick up Horizions. It actually is starting to look like a fun game.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

exquisite tea posted:

Have any of you guys played Rebel Galaxy? It's another space game that's kinda like a Freelancer / AC4 hybrid with a cool country western soundtrack. However it is also $20, which by digital spaceship logic means it's only about 1/50th as good as Star Citizen will be to premium backers like Wulfling. Anyways, it's pretty fun and perhaps most importantly, a game that exists. God bless.

It actually looks really good and a lot of people here have raved about it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

MeLKoR posted:

you people have no decency, kink shaming is wrong and you should all be ashamed of yourselves for laughing at this poor man

I can stand behind a guy and his hobbies 100%, but that doesn't mean I won't also laugh at them.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Truga posted:

I can stand behind a guy and his hobbies 100%, but that doesn't mean I won't also laugh at them.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Truga posted:

You would stand behind a guy while he sniffs his sisters panties? Gross dude.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Meta-Mollusk posted:

Ugh... reminds me of the time as a kid when I bought a bottle of chocolate flavored soda. It was the grossest thing I've ever tasted and I don't think they sold those for very long. The label had a picture of a clown in it, which was fitting as I certainly felt like one for buying it. :barf:

Holy poo poo. :stonk: That guy was a total creep but can't help but feel sorry for him anyway. That poor family...

In Sweden, some ten years ago they released a liquorice flavor soft drink. I remember buying it for fun, then having to drink it because it was a steaming hot summer day and I was thirsty as all hell. It tasted something like sea water with ammonium chloride

Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014

Wulfling posted:

Alright, fine. I'll use part of my refund to pick up Horizions. It actually is starting to look like a fun game.

Picked it up.
FTL is also excellent for those that have not tried that.

X3 is still the best space game actually out - but use mods as recommended.

Back Battletech if you have not already which also looks pretty good especially if PVP multiplayer gets up. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/battletech

Everyone else - Post less crap please - I'm afraid for some that means not posting at all. The last few pages have been worse than reddit. A lot worse.

Full Metal Boxers
Feb 20, 2007

COME LITTLE BITCOIN.... COME MY WAY.....IN THE MID NIGHT HOUR... I YELL NO NO NO... WITH A REBEL YELL I YELL MORE MORE MORE.... BIT COIN... I WANT TO FUCK YOU
Confirming FTL is a great game.

It is also a space ~roguelike~, which means it will leave you thinking "WHY DO I KEEP PLAYING THIS GAME? WHAT DID I DO THAT I AM SUBCONSCIOUSLY PUNISHING MYSELF FOR???"

Then you will start another game of FTL.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Full Metal Boxers posted:

Confirming FTL is a great game.

It is also a space ~roguelike~, which means it will leave you thinking "WHY DO I KEEP PLAYING THIS GAME? WHAT DID I DO THAT I AM SUBCONSCIOUSLY PUNISHING MYSELF FOR???"

Then you will start another game of FTL.

Yup.

Pink and green creme soda. loving weird.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Keith Elwood posted:

gently caress you for doxxing me Derek. You're not a good person and deep down you know it. Bring the pain rear end in a top hat, if you come after me with lawyers I'll blow my brains out live on the internet. Then what?

Your saying that your gonna do a suicide because of dsmart?
dude thats not worth it. just get a refund and join the crowd laughing at star citizen
whats the worst that could happen? like if star citizen could be GOTY you still could buy it afterwards.

as finishing words have something star citizen did deliver :)

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

The sniffing panties thing was a joke post. It was from when a joke needed a setup and payoff instead of impact text on the picture of an animal.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Decrepus posted:

The sniffing panties thing was a joke post. It was from when a joke needed a setup and payoff instead of impact text on the picture of an animal.

Don't ruin it for me. :ohdear:

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

meanwhile in the land of David Braben

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaV3FP5HJ48

Air support anyone?

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

exquisite tea posted:

Wife's been playing it non stop, she loves it. Looks good. Very nice sky box. Gameplay looks solid too. Think I'm going to give it a go.

BluestreakBTHR
Oct 2, 2015

Fucking Star Citizen True Believers are passive-aggressive douchebags. Sorry if I have the ability to use my critical thinking skills. I didn't drink the Kool-Aid, motherfuckers.

That's me trying way too hard to fit in here. Please accept me, I need validation. I'm very depressed.
Grimey Drawer
My final refund chunk and account closure is imminent!
I can't wait to be completely and totally severed from CIG.

Thanks to Sandi, Ben, Disco Lando, Hammer, and anyone else from CIG that's reading this thread, and allowing this hilarious shitstorm to continue. You're the worst PR group I think I've ever seen - and I do my own lovely PR for my station.

In closing *wipes fake tear from eye* I'm not resigning my position from SA or the Goons. This was not a means to the end. I'll continue to post nonsense and shitpost, and assist in the de-programming of the CIG cult members and True Believers (tm).

Go gently caress Yourselves.

:waveyguy:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

BluestreakBTHR posted:

My final refund chunk and account closure is imminent!
I can't wait to be completely and totally severed from CIG.

Thanks to Sandi, Ben, Disco Lando, Hammer, and anyone else from CIG that's reading this thread, and allowing this hilarious shitstorm to continue. You're the worst PR group I think I've ever seen - and I do my own lovely PR for my station.

In closing *wipes fake tear from eye* I'm not resigning my position from SA or the Goons. This was not a means to the end. I'll continue to post nonsense and shitpost, and assist in the de-programming of the CIG cult members and True Believers (tm).

Go gently caress Yourselves.

:waveyguy:

i was about to say, you just got here and you bought presents for everyone.. like a goon santa.. dont leave us... :unsmith:

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
I just thought of a potential issue. Let's say (hypothetically, since we know this scam isn't releasing) the game goes gold. What sort of server structure do they have in mind? I've never even seen mention of the backend hardware. EVE is about to upgrade the Tranquility cluster AGAIN, and they still have issues with lag and whatnot. Unless Croberts 20k coffee machine doubles as some badass server cluster, I don't think their office IT guy's dell inspiron is going to make a decent server.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

In Sweden, some ten years ago they released a liquorice flavor soft drink. I remember buying it for fun, then having to drink it because it was a steaming hot summer day and I was thirsty as all hell. It tasted something like sea water with ammonium chloride

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Thronde posted:

I just thought of a potential issue. Let's say (hypothetically, since we know this scam isn't releasing) the game goes gold. What sort of server structure do they have in mind? I've never even seen mention of the backend hardware. EVE is about to upgrade the Tranquility cluster AGAIN, and they still have issues with lag and whatnot. Unless Croberts 20k coffee machine doubles as some badass server cluster, I don't think their office IT guy's dell inspiron is going to make a decent server.

Hypothetically it was supposed to be a dynamically scaling set of AWS instances, which if the netcode were tight and compact wouldnt be too bad an idea with some good thought processes behind it.

as it i believe it is currently a coffee machine.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3ptdoi/xian_scout_owners_rejoice_our_patience_will_be/

Shitizens are dancing in the streets because a jpeg they have been waiting for is almost finished. It won't be flyable or even "hanger ready", just the jpeg is nearly ready and that's something to get excited about.

CIG are less productive than your average MMOHMO goon.

BluestreakBTHR
Oct 2, 2015

Fucking Star Citizen True Believers are passive-aggressive douchebags. Sorry if I have the ability to use my critical thinking skills. I didn't drink the Kool-Aid, motherfuckers.

That's me trying way too hard to fit in here. Please accept me, I need validation. I'm very depressed.
Grimey Drawer

SneakyFrog posted:

i was about to say, you just got here and you bought presents for everyone.. like a goon santa.. dont leave us... :unsmith:

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Oh yeah, we used to have something like that in Finland too. I love black liquorice and salmiakki/salty liquorice, and can understand why salmiakki flavored booze is a thing, but even I realized this is just a terrible idea for a soft drink.

I like how Moomintroll is looking at you and going "You're not actually going to drink this poo poo, are you? :ohdear:"

Congrats and be sure to use some of that CIG refund money to support SA and buy the Smart tag and get rid of that text some shitizen bought for you. :v:

BluestreakBTHR
Oct 2, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Meta-Mollusk posted:

Congrats and be sure to use some of that CIG refund money to support SA and buy the Smart tag and get rid of that text some shitizen bought for you. :v:

Edit, again, because mobile sucks.

I don't mind the text. First part is my quote, the bold text is someone's poor attempt at being ironic. I leave it there as a warning to others that their failures will be left up for all to see and be mocked.

I'll buy a gangtag, soon (tm)

BluestreakBTHR fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Oct 23, 2015

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

Thronde posted:

It's a form of player protection - you try to gang up on some scrub in a $1000 ship, the node will crash and prevent you from blowing him up.

Raticus79
Oct 21, 2015

Thronde posted:

They're using Google Compute Engine (GCE) VMs.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Raticus79 posted:

huh thought it was AWS but eh.. cool

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Thronde posted:

The real plan is to get as much money from "investments" of an unreleased game, THEN have that game play like utter crap while everything has been released half assed. Then they just sell the game rights to Korea for a profit. Look at Hellgate London as an example.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

joats posted:

The real plan is to get as much money from "investments" of an unreleased game, THEN have that game play like utter crap while everything has been released half assed. Then they just sell the game rights to Korea for a profit. Look at Hellgate London as an example.

With the Nexon / NCsoft split I guess they'll have to go to PWE for their poo poo tier Korean grinder cash grab company. Works for STO.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I wonder how many more refunds are going to go through before CIG has a desperation sale on "certified pre-owned ships" reclaimed from goons.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Thronde posted:

It's a super instanced game.

Imagine playing Battlefield 3 or 4. There's a central server that stores your XP (credits) and unlocks (ships). When you log in or travel between locations, instead of a server browser window, your server is chosen depending on which "map" you're on in space. If a map is full, a new server gets spawned for new people. When CR was first describing this, he literally said "battlefield arenas, but in space" at more than one occasion.

It's really nothing that can't be done easily with today's internet. Of course, this was in 2012. EA releases a battlef* game yearly at this point. CIG released 2 battlefield sized maps in 4 years of development.

BluestreakBTHR
Oct 2, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Raticus79 posted:

Money sink.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Refund received from Twin Bros GmbH, after getting it confirmed on Monday. Minus 4% PayPal fees but whatever. I'm out :woop:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Berious posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3ptdoi/xian_scout_owners_rejoice_our_patience_will_be/

Shitizens are dancing in the streets because a jpeg they have been waiting for is almost finished. It won't be flyable or even "hanger ready", just the jpeg is nearly ready and that's something to get excited about.

CIG are less productive than your average MMOHMO goon.

To be fair they have waited nearly two years for it to reach this stage.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
you would think by this time, I would be all :psyduck: ed out.

apparently not.

Is there like a medical term like priapism for "head constantly feels like its exploding"?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Raticus79 posted:

Truga posted:

It's a super instanced game.

Imagine playing Battlefield 3 or 4. There's a central server that stores your XP (credits) and unlocks (ships). When you log in or travel between locations, instead of a server browser window, your server is chosen depending on which "map" you're on in space. If a map is full, a new server gets spawned for new people. When CR was first describing this, he literally said "battlefield arenas, but in space" at more than one occasion.

It's really nothing that can't be done easily with today's internet. Of course, this was in 2012. EA releases a battlef* game yearly at this point. CIG released 2 battlefield sized maps in 4 years of development.

Yeah, using GCE doesn't solve any major problem other than the cost of a HW server infrastructure. The game is heavily instanced and the much touted PU will be as well, in some regard.

I 100% guarantee that it's going to fall apart because a) the CryEngine network architecture wasn't designed for what they're trying to do - even with whatever custom code they've written b) with that many players already bought into the game, just wait and see what happens when server<->server messages start dropping and people either can't go from A to B, join their friends etc. See how people are spawning buggies in space? It's like that. But worse.

In LOD we designed an entire cluster - from scratch - to handle crap like this. In under a year. All 13 (4 planet, 4 space, 4 stations, 1 carrier) regions are each on a separate cluster, talk to each other etc. And you can move between them seamlessly as the battle wages on 24-7.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

AP posted:

To be fair they have waited nearly two years for it to reach this stage.

This ship doesn't look like it's easy to manoeuvre.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

D_Smart posted:

In LOD we designed an entire cluster - from scratch - to handle crap like this. In under a year. All 13 (4 planet, 4 space, 4 stations, 1 carrier) regions are each on a separate cluster, talk to each other etc. And you can move between them seamlessly as the battle wages on 24-7.

Hardware based cluster or VM out of curiosity? How do you handle scaling/instancing?

I like infrastructure talk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Basically, PU is a glorified 3D server browser. It's a really good idea how to make an "MMO" on the cheap, they could probably have pulled it off with competent management.

• Locked thread