Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Bajaha posted:

Listen to the Nissan VQ in the 350z or the g35. Now those motors sound like pissed off wookies. Can't unhear it now.

On mobile so don't have a good sound clip ready, but seriously, it's uncanny.

The VQ is just the worst sounding engine on the planet. Ugh. FX35s got them too and it seems like my ears are subjected to at least one of them daily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

iForge posted:

I used to do this by sending them as a picture message to my email. Just type your email instead of a phone #. Works on Verizon, should work on ATT since they use the same equipment.

You just blew my mind dude.

Didnt manage to grab a decent shot of the caliper but here are these.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That's loving magical.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
This is magical

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Preoptopus posted:

:stare:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
:eyepop:

Seriously how did that person not crash. I feel like the brakes would overheat instantly.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Geirskogul posted:

This is magical

What's magical is the fact that the brakes worked in any fashion whatsoever. :stare:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

some texas redneck posted:

What's magical is the fact that the brakes worked in any fashion whatsoever. :stare:

Honestly I'm impressed with how fault tolerant modern disc braking systems are. They'll turn themselves to dust and still provide a little braking right to the bitter end.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
I wanna crash off that hi-hat.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Dannywilson posted:

I wanna crash off that hi-hat.

Darwin's pissed that driver didn't do so already.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

The VQ is just the worst sounding engine on the planet. Ugh. FX35s got them too and it seems like my ears are subjected to at least one of them daily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-11A-FtTibs

If I remember right, this is related to it. I think it proves you wrong. :colbert:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

More horrible maintenance failures...

Thats a sway link off my big work tractor. It doesnt come factory with grease nipples for the thread, so your meant to wind them out once a season and grease up the threads. Its been a few years now, so that thread is locked in their solid.

Thats a 1/2" high tension steel concrete pin through the holes in the linkage body, then 2.5m of 40mm galv pipe over the top just to get it to turn, and thats after its sat there with a body full of diesel and oil soaking over night.

Took about 2hrs to release each one, then clean up the threads, install a grease nipple into the loving thing, and refit them to the tractor so I could tighten up the lift arms and stop my slasher swaying a foot side to side into other lanes as i drove on the road!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

A week or so more and that guy might have come into the shop complaining that the brakes seem to be pulling to one side, and you'd have found no loving disc there at all. Can't decide whether that would have been more awesome or not.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Preoptopus posted:

:stare:

It's not often that something on the internet elicits a verbal response, but I literally went "HOLY poo poo" at these pictures.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

I thought I'd seen some poo poo when it comes to brakes but this is some next level abuse.

[insert not-even-angry-thats-amazing-will-ferrell clip]

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Preoptopus posted:

Someone replaced his brake rotor with a UFO?

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Elmnt80 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-11A-FtTibs

If I remember right, this is related to it. I think it proves you wrong. :colbert:

It is indeed the same motor as the Renaultsport Mgane Trophy II, which is a rebadged VQ35DE.

Wikipedia posted:

"The RS Trophy uses the considerably modified Renault Vel Satis V4Y 3.5-litre V6 engine (which is a rebadged VQ35DE of the Nissan VQ engine family) rated 330 PS (243 kW; 325 bhp) at 7000 rpm and 390 Nm (290 lbft) at 4500 rpm."
clicky clicky for source, though there's no reference, so may not be totally accurate

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
That brake disc!

chrisgt posted:

Oh come on, name any car that doesn't need a timing belt around 100k miles. And furthermore, any car that doesn't have timing belt issues if ignored for way longer than that... People are idiots and replace just the belt which leads to stupid stuff like that.

My two favourite engines;
1. Rotary (OK, they may need a complete rebuild at 200k miles)
2. i6 4l ford falcon (has a chain and the engine is near on indestructable)

My list is what it is, for some reason they are my favourite engines and don't have timing belts :shrug:
E: I was a fan of the mazda 4cyl as often they had chains too, but heard 100k miles is no problem for the ones with belts, many have gone longer, like 150k miles so I've read.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 23, 2015

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
My uncle just posted about getting a new set of tires, and this set up struck me as a little odd:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

NoWake posted:

My uncle just posted about getting a new set of tires, and this set up struck me as a little odd:

You're never watched a tire shop work? That's pretty standard fare. Every time I've ever been to discount for balancing/rotation, they've done that.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I've never been to Discount, but all the tire shops I've been past have used a lift. I guess that's why they're discount, eh? Passing that savings right to the customer!

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

NoWake posted:

:wtc:

That's... just not ok.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Raluek posted:

I've never been to Discount, but all the tire shops I've been past have used a lift. I guess that's why they're discount, eh? Passing that savings right to the customer!

It's not like they're getting under the drat things, and yes, every Discount I've ever been to does the same thing.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Raluek posted:

It seems like it would be a pain in the rear end to roll 4 floor jacks over then start pumping them, but you're right, less lift bays = less overhead. If this were on anything but a level shop floor, or he were getting brakes or something, I would have more of a problem with it.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

NoWake posted:

At least it's not just one under the diff and one up at the front.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

literally a fish posted:

It is indeed the same motor as the Renaultsport Mgane Trophy II, which is a rebadged VQ35DE.

clicky clicky for source, though there's no reference, so may not be totally accurate

I remembered seeing it mentioned in a few articles, but in any event, its a cool motor and makes a cool noise.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

DiggityDoink posted:

Ah, the "U2 spyplane" jacking tactic

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

DiggityDoink posted:

I've done that on just the rear diff with a stock bottle jack. Get on my level :banjo:

(I was putting new tires on both rear wheels and didn't feel like jacking the car up twice. It's important to put the thing in 4x4 difflock so the parking brake covers the front axle as well.)

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

My tyre shop does that on the landcruiser because his floor lifts aren't rated anywhere near the 3.5T the cruiser weighs and don't go high enough to max out the suspension travel and get the wheels off the ground.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

sofullofhate posted:

:wtc:

That's... just not ok.

Lol do you think 4 assuming 2.5 ton jacks will crumble underneath the mighty wrangler? Ever rack a wrangler? The lift points are very close together so with a standard lift, you need to pull all the way forward, kick the front legs in, and then reverse and kick the rear legs in and then pull forward a little again. Its a pain in the dick and if your hoist isnt an in ground one, it really fuckin sucks cause then you cant open the doors to get in and out although in this case thats easy.

This came in the other day.

The guy sucks at driving carburetors and had a backfire.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 24, 2015

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Preoptopus posted:

Lol do you think 4 assuming 2.5 ton jacks will crumble underneath the mighty wrangler? Ever rack a wrangler? The lift points are very close together so with a standard lift, you need to pull all the way forward, kick the front legs in, and then reverse and kick the rear legs in and then pull forward a little again. Its a pain in the dick and if your hoist isnt an in ground one, it really fuckin sucks cause then you cant open the doors to get in and out although in this case thats easy.

I always recruited someone who wasn't busy to kick the legs under, gently caress that noise.

It's even better when they're lifted with bigass mud tires on. One was so high/tires so far out that the arms wouldn't reach without being like a foot apart on the fram, so we had to put it on the alignment rack and use the built-in pneumatic jacks; then, the wheels were so loving heavy they literally set our balancing machine on fire.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

For the record, it's fiberglass tape. Duct tape would probably have worked.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

NoWake posted:

It seems like it would be a pain in the rear end to roll 4 floor jacks over then start pumping them, but you're right, less lift bays = less overhead. If this were on anything but a level shop floor, or he were getting brakes or something, I would have more of a problem with it.

With a quality jack that's like five pumps each, and maybe five minutes total with one dude.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Preoptopus posted:

Afterfire. Backfire is into the intake. :goonsay:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Geirskogul posted:

Afterfire. Backfire is into the intake. :goonsay:

Can be either or:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back-fire

quote:

A back-fire or backfire is combustion or an explosion produced by a running internal combustion engine that occurs in the air intake or exhaust system rather than inside the combustion chamber. Unburned fuel or hydrocarbons that are ignited in the exhaust system can produce loud sounds even if flames are not present at the tailpipe. A visible flame may momentarily shoot out of the exhaust pipe where the exhaust system is shortened. Fire may also travel into the air intake piping. Either condition may cause a loud popping noise, together with possible loss of power and forward motion. A back-fire is a separate phenomenon from the fire produced by Top Fuel dragsters.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Not quite.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back-fire

quote:

In both cases (combustion occurring beforeand after the combustion chamber), the result is a sharp pop, which is colloquially referred to as a "backfire". However, for troubleshooting, engine mechanics more strictly define an ignition of fuel within the engine exhaustsystem as an "afterfire", while a "backfire" is this same process taking place in theinduction system.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Preoptopus posted:

Are those mufflers even blown open?

Amateur. :colbert:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
The left one is you can see a bit at the top there.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Ah, so it is. Didn't catch it on my phone. What'd they get replaced with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Ah, so it is. Didn't catch it on my phone. What'd they get replaced with?

Some lovely Wagner Quiet Flow kit. We ended up custom fabing the whole thing from the headers back. Guy was stubborn as hell and wanted to save these chrome twin tips that he had sticking out the sides behind the rear tires which he swore up and down were stock. They werent. So getting those to work and be straight as per his demands with the muffler kit he got (non of which fit together right) was a pain in the rear end. Sadly didnt take any pics of the finished product cause I got bogged down with some other bullshit by then and he pretty much picked it up right away. Although very very satisfied and happy. It did sound mean as gently caress i have to admit.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 24, 2015