Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dr Destiny
:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

gently caress you and your stupid names DC

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
That loving trailer, Jesus Christ.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Oh wow, finally an adaptation of Naoki Urasawa's Monster.

But seriously, that trailer makes it seem like it's all about Kilgrave's wacky shenanigans. I guess they just wanted a strong hook, because I doubt it's going to fill 13 hours.

That trailer turned me off really fast. I've read the comics and they didn't get that dark.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Alright, all the cautious optimism is gone, now there is only hype remaining. Holy poo poo what a trailer.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That's a good trailer but we still have no indication of the opening credits will be as good as daredevil's.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

That trailer turned me off really fast. I've read the comics and they didn't get that dark.

The Kilgrave stuff in Alias was super hosed up, they just didn't depict it as directly as it seems like the show will.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
"That torture wasn't dark at all"

:goonsay:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

But seriously, that trailer makes it seem like it's all about Kilgrave's wacky shenanigans. I guess they just wanted a strong hook, because I doubt it's going to fill 13 hours.

Yeah I get why they're marketing that angle because it's the strongest hook the series has, but it's a thin line to tread before it makes the show out to be fetishizing Jessica's trauma while simultaneously being the kind-of "villain showcase" that tends to undercut superhero productions (see: every live-action Batman adaptation from 89 onwards).

That said Ritter is clearly putting effort into what must be a demanding role, the guy playing Luke Cage is instantly likable even from those short snippets, and we all knew Tennant would kill it. Here's hoping it does the job.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That's a good trailer but we still have no indication of the opening credits will be as good as daredevil's.

I've seen them and they're better.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

MrAristocrates posted:

I've seen them and they're better.

David Mack designed them in the style of his Alias covers, right?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Barry Convex posted:

David Mack designed them in the style of his Alias covers, right?

Having now seen the covers, yeah, they look a lot like those.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Oh my god we haven't even seen the show yet, we have no idea if they're ~fetishizing~ Jessica's PTSD or not. GET HYPED.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Given that Alias was such a short book, I wonder how much of it will actually make it into the series. It seems that they are skipping straight to killgrave. Like, I remember killgrave not even showing up until halfway through. It wasn't even until I read this thread that I got he was supposed to be the main villain, I thought it was just another case in a series of cases

Also, I hope they come up with a better way for JJ to fight him lol jean grey

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

HIJK posted:

Oh my god we haven't even seen the show yet, we have no idea if they're ~fetishizing~ Jessica's PTSD or not.

Seems like they are from the trailer.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Looks p amazing

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

computer parts posted:

Seems like they are from the trailer.

This is honestly idiotic, even for these dumb rear end forums.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
Someone mentioned earlier that the purple in the trailers and title for Jessica Jones is kinda similar to the red for Daredevil, and I hope this is a trend throughout all the shows: yellow for Luke Cage and Green for Iron Fist. And then for Defenders they mash all the colors up for like a really gross brown.

I don't know anything about Jessica Jones outside of the little I've seen from this thread: she's a PI, seriously hosed up from Kilgrave (the Purple Man?), can fly sometimes. But I'm still really hyped for this just as much as I was for Daredevil. I knew more about Daredevil than JJ (I knew of Daredevil for awhile, but I don't think I knew he was blind until the show) but I'm excited for this. Hopefully if this series works as well as Daredevil did, it will give people a likelier chance to appreciate the more unknown superheroes like Cage and Iron Fist (also two I know nothing about.)

I'm hyped.

Serf
May 5, 2011

This looks like some Good poo poo. Kinda dark in the same way that Daredevil was. Looking forward to this.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sir Potato posted:

Someone mentioned earlier that the purple in the trailers and title for Jessica Jones is kinda similar to the red for Daredevil, and I hope this is a trend throughout all the shows: yellow for Luke Cage and Green for Iron Fist. And then for Defenders they mash all the colors up for like a really gross brown.

I'm certainly assuming that that's the plan. Each of them will also presumably have a specific place to stand in the moving posters they make in that same street in Hell's Kitchen with the Avengers Tower in the background, with all 4 of them standing together for the one they make for Defenders.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That trailer actually gave me chills. I was a little skeptical about Ritter in the role because I guess she just left more of an impression on me from Don't Trust the Bitch than Breaking Bad, but that trailer sold me on her completely. Cage seems good and Kilgrave is horrifying. I'm pumped.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

tsob posted:

I'm certainly assuming that that's the plan. Each of them will also presumably have a specific place to stand in the moving posters they make in that same street in Hell's Kitchen with the Avengers Tower in the background, with all 4 of them standing together for the one they make for Defenders.

If Iron Fist even happens :negative:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mikeraskol posted:

This is honestly idiotic, even for these dumb rear end forums.

I mean I don't see why the only thing you're allowed to get out of trailers is hype.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

mikeraskol posted:

If Iron Fist even happens :negative:

What possible reason could there be for you to say something like this when Marvel has a deal with Netflix and will deliver the 4 series with the Defenders capper, and now with a second Daredevil season as a bonus?

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

computer parts posted:

I mean I don't see why the only thing you're allowed to get out of trailers is hype.

Which part of the trailer do you think is fetishizing things? To me it seemed to downplay the sexual aspect compared to the comics; just from that trailer the focus seems to be that he made her kill someone.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

STAC Goat posted:

That trailer actually gave me chills. I was a little skeptical about Ritter in the role because I guess she just left more of an impression on me from Don't Trust the Bitch than Breaking Bad, but that trailer sold me on her completely. Cage seems good and Kilgrave is horrifying. I'm pumped.

The girl in the handcuffs with blond hair and dark eyes is shot in a way that makes her really creepy. No idea why, she seems to be a victim of a Purple Man mindfuck but her face with half the screen in complete darkness (which looks like Jessica's hair) makes it eerie.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Apoplexy posted:

What possible reason could there be for you to say something like this when Marvel has a deal with Netflix and will deliver the 4 series with the Defenders capper, and now with a second Daredevil season as a bonus?

There's been tons of rumors floating around that Marvel has no idea what to do with Iron Fist, which is why they don't have a show runner or lead yet. Hopefully (probably) it isn't true.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

Which part of the trailer do you think is fetishizing things? To me it seemed to downplay the sexual aspect compared to the comics; just from that trailer the focus seems to be that he made her kill someone.

Notice that the original statement was about fetishizing PTSD. There doesn't have to be a sexual aspect to that, just an extreme focus.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Its delivery date is a year away, minimum. A year ago did we have every detail of Jessica Jones hammered out? I say extreme pessimism is a little absurd, at this point. Marvel has this poo poo down, man. They'll find a lead and they'll have a showrunner and they'll have a broad outline of the series down before summer.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

Let's try to head this off at the pass:

fetishize-- have an excessive and irrational commitment to or obsession with (something).

The trailer is 90% focused on Jessica's relationship to Killgrave. That's not indicative of the final product and no one is saying as much-- my exact words were that it's a thin line between playing up the dramatic arc of the story and making that aspect of the story the sole focus. It's not a crime or indicative of poor quality if that does come to pass, and it's not idiotic to raise an eyebrow at that potential.

computer parts posted:

I did forget I was in TVIV when I brought up those thoughts. Much as I love y'all sometimes the reputation it has as an echo chamber that can't handle the slightest form of deviance from the collective consensus is justified.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

If they do a decent job with it I think selling the series as a survivor story is perfectly fine. That's what it is, and what Alias was too even if they didn't get into the meat of it until 2/3 through the run. I dunno how you can express that it's a central theme in the show without fetishizing it to an extent -- but the actual extent and appropriateness of this sort of stuff is sort of in the eye of the beholder. Trigger warning, I guess.

E: I guess I mean fetishizing as in 'if there's an internet person that is way into erotic mind control fiction then this trailer will likely tickle their pickle' but I don't think that's something you can prevent.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 23, 2015

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

computer parts posted:

Notice that the original statement was about fetishizing PTSD. There doesn't have to be a sexual aspect to that, just an extreme focus.

Examining a subject is not fetishizing.

Fetishizing is one of those stupid forum buzzwords that people like to throw out there for almost everything, so when you roll in and drop that turd without any substance as to why you think it is so it drives me nuts.

mind the walrus posted:

fetishize-- have an excessive and irrational commitment to or obsession with (something).

Notice a few key words in that definition and understand the context and meaning. Irrational commitment. Irrational obsession. Fetishizing occurs when there is no good reason to do it. When the whole foundation of your show is based around the concept of a former superhero struggling with what happened to her, and what happens when the cause of her problems reenters her life, it's not fetishizing. It's simply the subject matter.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 23, 2015

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Apoplexy posted:

Its delivery date is a year away, minimum. A year ago did we have every detail of Jessica Jones hammered out? I say extreme pessimism is a little absurd, at this point. Marvel has this poo poo down, man. They'll find a lead and they'll have a showrunner and they'll have a broad outline of the series down before summer.

Nerds freak out and see conspiracies at the first hint of things going wrong, news at eleven.

I mean, just look at everyone going nuts in the Flash thread about how the show is definitely hanging by a thread and it's going to be cancelled in a year's time to make space for the movie.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Apoplexy posted:

I believe we had a fair bit more than what we've got about Iron Fist, which is basically bupkiss. It's especially odd to me since Brubaker/Fraction's excellent "Immortal Iron Fist" series form a much more solid blueprint for what to do with the character than anything related to a solo Luke Cage story from the last 35 years.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mikeraskol posted:

Notice a few key words in that definition and understand the context and meaning. Irrational commitment. Irrational obsession. Fetishizing occurs when there is no good reason to do it. When the whole foundation of your show is based around the concept of a former superhero struggling with what happened to her, and what happens when the cause of her problems reenters her life, it's not fetishizing. It's simply the subject matter.

Oh there's plenty of good reason for a lot of media that fetishizes things. War movies, for example, quite often fetishize the glory of battle. They're not doing it to show that the glory of battle is wrong (or at least a lot of them don't), it's because they want war to look cool.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

mikeraskol posted:

You cherry-picking rear end in a top hat.

mind the walrus posted:

my exact words were that it's a thin line between playing up the dramatic arc of the story and making that aspect of the story the sole focus.

mind the walrus posted:

but it's a thin line to tread before it makes the show out to be fetishizing Jessica's trauma

What is your end-game on being selective? To troll? To rant about political correctness gone mad or some equally vapid horseshit? To angle for a paycheck from Disney as a "viral marketer expert" ensuring that not a single TVIV goon viewing this thread has even the slightest reservation about checking out the show? Seriously I don't get why this is such a point of contention when I've done literally everything I could have to ensure that my opinion wasn't inflammatory, yet there you go trying to make it sound inflammatory.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

According to Wiki Ritter wasn't cast as Jones until December 2014 and she wasn't even being talked about as far back as August-October. That's basically a year before release. Iron Fist isn't going to come around until late 2016 at the earliest so it seems like we're not behind at all on the information/production progress for Iron Fist. Its just a long ways out and they only recently started filming Cage.

I think what has people thrown off is that Cage was cast way earlier than Jones/Daredevil because he's part of the Jones series. No Iron Fist cast suggest that he won't be part of the Cage series but I don't think it gives an indication that the show isn't being made. Just that its not up yet because theres still two series (DD S2 and Cage) being made before it.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

mind the walrus posted:

The trailer is 90% focused on Jessica's relationship to Killgrave. That's not indicative of the final product and no one is saying as much-- my exact words were that it's a thin line between playing up the dramatic arc of the story and making that aspect of the story the sole focus. It's not a crime or indicative of poor quality if that does come to pass, and it's not idiotic to raise an eyebrow at that potential.

I did forget I was in TVIV when I brought up those thoughts. Much as I love y'all sometimes the reputation it has as an echo chamber that can't handle the slightest form of deviance from the collective consensus is justified.

So you want the forum to be CineD instead? Because I think you're succeeding!

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

You cherry-picking rear end in a top hat.

What is your end-game on being selective? To troll? To rant about political correctness gone mad or some equally vapid horseshit? To angle for a paycheck from Disney as a "viral marketer expert" ensuring that not a single TVIV goon viewing this thread has even the slightest reservation about checking out the show? Seriously I don't get why this is such a point of contention when I've done literally everything I could have to ensure that my opinion wasn't inflammatory, yet there you go trying to make it sound inflammatory.

I'm saying even if it was the sole focus that wouldn't make it fetishizing. I guess I didn't make my point as clearly as I wanted, I was saying that it didn't appear to me they were anywhere near a "line." As to the rest here, ok?

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Hi, is this the Jessica Jones thread, or did I take a wrong turn and end up in D&D?