Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Hammerstein posted:

It is the best of times, it is the worst of times.

A Tale of Two Citizens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

How long till Sandi wears or gets someone in the office to wear blackface?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Ravane posted:

A Tale of Two Citizens

:perfect:

Raticus79
Oct 21, 2015

ShredsYouSay posted:

Why is the money hat still shown.

They said the MONEY hat was included in clothing samples sent by a manufacturer when they were shopping around for potential suppliers and he got a kick out of it.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Mukip posted:

I think for something to qualify as a PR disaster it needs a wider audience than obsessive goon shitposters in this thread. The original accusations against Sandi haven't been backed up by the Escapist in any way to my knowledge, which means they shouldn't have even published them in the first place.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

You're right. It's totally normal to have so few black employees in your team of 250+ that after three years of twice-weekly on-camera shows, somebody accuses you of racism and people look through your archives and oh poo poo there's no black people.

It's 100% a normal thing for a development office to be accused of racism and then go grab a new hire and an office manager and start putting them on camera every week on the show about answering development questions. I bet that office lady has all sorts of insight into the development of the game! I mean why else would Sandi put her on screen, right? RIGHT?

I guess what I was trying to say is so what? Outside of this thread nobody gives a poo poo that she's racist.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
You'll notice that no other media outlet from what I've read has really gone into that aspect of the Escapist allegations because they are so skeevy to begin with, given their "verified but not really" sources. As a story, the racism allegations are already a dud that came and went.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Beet Wagon posted:

I guess what I was trying to say is so what? Outside of this thread nobody gives a poo poo that she's racist.

Uh, if she actually denied employment to candidates on the basis of their skin color, age, or whether or not they possessed pubic hair, the government might give a poo poo.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm guessing the only people that even know who Sandi is are the people who backed SC and really care about it, and the people who think this is all a giant joke. To that end, I'd guess you are probably right.

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

Nothing is funnier than a dog in a formal outfit. Look it up on the internets.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I'm guessing the only people that even know who Sandi is are the people who backed SC and really care about it, and the people who think this is all a giant joke. To that end, I'd guess you are probably right.

But what about all of her modeling roles and her acting career....

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

SelenicMartian posted:

How long till Sandi wears or gets someone in the office to wear blackface?

How long until the webcam accidentally falls to the ground and we see a panty shot*...with pubes?

*just pray it is a girl's, not interested in t-rex's crotch

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
SC always wakes the marketing in me up.

Lowtax would make bank if he sold reg date changes. $1 to set your reg date back one month.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Beet Wagon posted:

Not entirely true. Just because the most vocal people in the hugbox don't care, doesn't mean it isn't seen and noticed. Behavior like CIG's is blatantly at odds with reality, and the longer that goes on the more apparent that is to people.

Also it's important because, if true, it's a particularly lovely thing for management in a crowdfunded company to be treating employees like garbage. I feel like it's extra-important to make sure that projects I've partially helped to build do not turn into horror shows for the peons, having worked in a couple of those myself.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Gerbil_Pen posted:

SC always wakes the marketing in me up.

Lowtax would make bank if he sold reg date changes. $1 to set your reg date back one month.

Should just sell a $50 package that lets you set your reg date to September 11, 2001

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Mukip posted:

I think for something to qualify as a PR disaster it needs a wider audience than obsessive goon shitposters in this thread. The original accusations against Sandi haven't been backed up by the Escapist in any way to my knowledge, which means they shouldn't have even published them in the first place.

It depends really, the Escapist could have more they intend to drop but are waiting until the refund clause from the original TOS kicks in for maximum impact, which would be in week.

If they have no intention of following the story up, that would indicate to me it's not solid and they therefore shouldn't have published.

However it's possible that things are happening behind the scenes, the Escapist gave CIG 24 hours to respond last time, it's predictable they'll do exactly the same again which would allow CIG to have planned some kind of blocking move to buy time.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Beet Wagon posted:

But but but Sandi has to be racist because it's not fun unless I can hate on every single aspect of her life while I'm obsessively refreshing this thread! Don't you see how important her being racist is to the failure of Star Citizen?

I think she's probably not racist at all, that's what makes this overreaction so hilarious. It speaks of incompetence in dealing with shitposting from the internet.

BluestreakBTHR
Oct 2, 2015

Fucking Star Citizen True Believers are passive-aggressive douchebags. Sorry if I have the ability to use my critical thinking skills. I didn't drink the Kool-Aid, motherfuckers.

That's me trying way too hard to fit in here. Please accept me, I need validation. I'm very depressed.
Grimey Drawer

Bolow posted:

Should just sell a $50 package that lets you set your reg date to September 11, 2001

Oof. Too soon.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

MeLKoR posted:

I think she's probably not racist at all, that's what makes this overreaction so hilarious. It speaks of incompetence in dealing with shitposting from the internet.

The reaction is, itself, kind of racist. Regardless of the truth of the original claims.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Lu Yan posted:

Has anyone said Shillizens yet?

:golfclap:

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Bolow posted:

and $5 for the privilege to change it back to your normal regdate or a more obscure date.

BluestreakBTHR
Oct 2, 2015

Fucking Star Citizen True Believers are passive-aggressive douchebags. Sorry if I have the ability to use my critical thinking skills. I didn't drink the Kool-Aid, motherfuckers.

That's me trying way too hard to fit in here. Please accept me, I need validation. I'm very depressed.
Grimey Drawer

joats posted:

and $5 for the privilege to change it back to your normal regdate or a more obscure date.

November 5, 1955

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Sarsapariller posted:

The reaction is, itself, kind of racist. Regardless of the truth of the original claims.

what would the ideal reaction have been?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

D1E posted:

Uh, if she actually denied employment to candidates on the basis of their skin color, age, or whether or not they possessed pubic hair, the government might give a poo poo.

The government most certainly would. But if there was actual proof of that (aside from us all sitting on our thumbs talking about how racist she is) that would be something that could be resolved pretty easily.

It just seems loving low-effort is all. It's clearly not a 'PR Disaster' an there's only so many variations on the "Look, she took a picture with a black person to prove she's not racist. What a racist!" joke.

So here, have some Lime and Honey Beet Salad

Ingredients:
2 tsp cider vinegar
Zest and juice of 1/2 lime
2 tsp honey
2-3 tsp olive oil
2 tsp minced fresh dill
2 tsp minced fresh chives
Salt and pepper
1 pound cooked beets, peeled

Whisk together the vinegar, lime zest and juice, and honey in a medium bowl. Whisk in olive oil. Add dill and chives, season with salt and pepper.
Cut beets into wedges about 1/2 inch thick, add to the bowl with vinaigrette and turn gently.
Cover and chill for at least two hours.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

wyoak posted:

Ignore it completely maybe? That's what I do when people call me racist.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Hopper posted:

*just pray it is a girl's, not interested in t-rex's crotch

It's not like you could even see it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Sedisp posted:

How in the world did it take them multiple years to implement something this basic.

Acceleration shouldn't be instant?! What a revelation!

They didn't implement it. That guy is using a program that takes keyboard input and translates it to virtual joystick axes; so when he presses a key it has a slower analog response. In the actual game it's still on the list of things to do.

And as for "how", it's an excellent example of how completely hosed their design process is. Everything about their flight & physics model is trying to serve different masters at the same time. It's gonna have realistic space newtonian physics, but also fast ww2 dogfighting feel, while also fun for both single and multiplayer, plus feel good as all scales from fighter to capital ship, and and and.

The direction for the game is coming from people at the top who are totally uninvolved with actually making it happen. They're just saying "make it like this" with no consideration for how all their wishlist systems interact.

joats posted:

Especially since Giant Bomb has shown that speaking the truth, while upsetting to the developer, can be entertaining to the viewer. Honest opinions and media can still be successful but rare.
I love giant bomb, but even they have a lot of self-censorship when it comes to games that don't exist yet. Of course, it's good to keep a "jury's still out" stance no matter how you feel about the game before release. (Ex their "I hope it's good" phrasing about tony hawk before it came out, or the limited poo poo-talking they had about the starfox e3 demo.) But they don't go into full unrestrained consumer advocacy very often, only in the exceptional cases.

I'd love to see them take a harder stance with the whole "beta aka marketing demo" thing that's become so prevalent these days.

Bitcoin Stymie
Oct 23, 2015

by Lowtax

Beet Wagon posted:

if there was actual proof of that (aside from us all sitting on our thumbs talking about how racist she is) that would be something that could be resolved pretty easily.

It just seems loving low-effort is all. .

Okay guys goodposting only from here on out, let's give this a shot. Wish me luck!

o7

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Sarsapariller posted:

Yeah but I mean I doubt she has any real influence in the hiring policies besides firing the occasional staffer that fails on one of the random pube checks. I have no idea how different the racial makeup of CIG is compared to other games developers to be honest but I doubt there's a conscious effort not to hire black people. That when accused of racism her first reaction was to look around for black people and put them in front of a camera doesn't really speak of how racist she is or is not but more about a person that has no idea how to quench down an internet/media polemic. Even the most racist competent PR manager has enough brains to see that dog wouldn't hunt.
It's like watching someone being trolled online and completely gently caress themselves in their responses.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wyoak posted:

Denounce the accusations in a five line write up and move on with your life.

Chris Roberts spending 8 hours to write a multi-page diatribe about how the article is actually Derek Smarts fault, and also GamerGate's, and also this other persons, and also... isn't smart PR in any capacity.

Posting a legal letter which is another diatribe about Derek Smart being the cause of the article, then threatening legal action because of said diatribe is the content also isn't smart PR. Popehat did a pretty good write up explaining how and why it was dumb for any lawyer to do and childish and he has no dog in the race.

I wouldn't call it a PR disaster, but more so an example of the incompetence of CIG's PR department.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 23, 2015

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Bitcoin Stymie posted:

Okay guys goodposting only from here on out, let's give this a shot. Wish me luck!

o7

Just... shitpost better or something.

I don't know.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Dante80 posted:

If anyone lives near Seattle WA btw, my uncle Phillip has a Greek restaurant in Burien. Tell him his nephew George from Athens sent you, and you want the real Greek deal..C:

I am going to do this when my birthday rolls around in a month. Greek food is so great.

This thread is great but I miss burger chat

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Bolow posted:

He used to sell that, yeah. Don't remember how much it was, though, and he basically made fun of you for thinking that regdate mattered when you bought it.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

wyoak posted:

Well ideally they would have been hiring qualified people regardless of race, thus not opening themselves up to that criticism in the first place.

But post-accusation, if you really do have a diversity problem- and they certainly seem to- the only really mature response is to admit fault. You don't have to say "Yeah we're racist" but I'd have been fine with someone stepping up and saying "Yeah we definitely could stand to have a little more diversity in our staff. We just hadn't been paying much attention to it- we'll see what we can do."

But that would have involved admitting some amount of fault.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bitcoin Stymie posted:

o7

lol

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Sarsapariller posted:

Well ideally they would have been hiring qualified people regardless of race, thus not opening themselves up to that criticism in the first place.

But post-accusation, if you really do have a diversity problem- and they certainly seem to- the only really mature response is to admit fault. You don't have to say "Yeah we're racist" but I'd have been fine with someone stepping up and saying "Yeah we definitely could stand to have a little more diversity in our staff. We just hadn't been paying much attention to it- we'll see what we can do."

I don't think the highly personal allegations against Sandi that the Escapist made deserve that sort of response.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

:laffo: looks like those 2 know why they're there

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Sarsapariller posted:

You don't want to directly acknowledge unsubstantiated claims that accuse an executive of engaging in illegal activities, that would be incredibly dumb (CR directly acknowledging everything was a giant mistake to begin with)

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Mukip posted:

I don't think the highly personal allegations against Sandi that the Escapist made deserve that sort of response.

A good PR team would have ignored them. A great PR team would have taken the opportunity to sit down and talk the issues out with a few people from the team who aren't balding/bearded middle-aged white men- hell do it on camera, because you're an open development studio, right? If Sandi's so great she should have no issue having that conversation right?

CIG's PR team decided to write an open legal threat, and then an overly emotional crazytrain letter from the CEO, and then have their white middle-aged men write various testimonials all over the internet, and then grab the first black people they saw and shuffle them in front of the camera. And then the head of PR gave a tear filled speech at the opening of the biggest exhibition of their game for the whole year, and it was entirely about herself, and then they gave her flowers on stage.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Lessons on propriety from an Internet shitposter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Mukip posted:

Lessons on propriety from an Internet shitposter.

The source of the advice doesn't mean it's bad advice.

• Locked thread