Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BluestreakBTHR
Oct 2, 2015

Fucking Star Citizen True Believers are passive-aggressive douchebags. Sorry if I have the ability to use my critical thinking skills. I didn't drink the Kool-Aid, motherfuckers.

That's me trying way too hard to fit in here. Please accept me, I need validation. I'm very depressed.
Grimey Drawer

G0RF posted:

who said it was a gotcha?

Claims that CIG Santa Monica is a highly racist environment due to Sandi's prejudice are speculative and based on anonymous claims in an article... I don't personally place too much stock in that particular assertion -- I think its easier to believe she thinks herself superior to nearly everyone beneath her, regardless of race. If emails or videos come out that corroborate the claims, well, then I'd change my mind. And yeah, that WOULD be a gotcha moment.

Claims that Star Citizen's lore is derivative of a myriad of other sci-fi properties (films, games, etc.) are incontrovertible-- and its been discussed here before. I just don't think we've started to make a list of which properties they are reappropriating and where. You may find it unworthy of discussion -- I find it worthier than beating the "Sandi is a racist" gong, which, incidentally, is why I brought it up.

Sure, the WC story is formulaic and derivative... so is Star Wars, The Lord of the Rings, The Matrix... that's not the bad thing. The bad this is that Chris Roberts is a lovely hack of a director, Sandi is a terrible person, and Ben doesn't know when to keep quiet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Goredema posted:

Just watched the one hour Frontier livestream about their moon buggy vehicle coming in Elite: Horizons. I always watch poo poo like this at 125% speed, and even then, usually turn it off pretty quick, but this time I ended up watching the whole hour. Why? Dakar Rally driving + Trackmania-level jumps and flips = gently caress YEAH! It was just fun as hell to watch the two guys hoon around on some random planet.

tl;dr: Dakar: Dangerous looks awesome.

ttl;dr: :jeb: :rice: :jeb:
If Frontier builds some buggy race course, perhaps with tunnels so you couldn't fly over everything, we'd have a Mario Kart for spacenerds and that could be a bloody blast. (And a lot more fun than the ludicrous race through rings inside a city mess that CIG put out.)

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Unfunny Poster posted:

You know what, I'm more hyped to try out Warhammer 40k: Eternal Crusade than anything CIG have put out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_6vgmHmJ_o

Added that it will more than likely be well below my internal hype.

Edit - They, like CIG, do a weekly stream but they also seem to be showing off coherent gameplay in the pre-alpha state.
Game looks like its coming along well.

Are these cosmetic? https://www.eternalcrusade.com/rogue-trader/products/all
e: FAQ says "sidegrades"

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Sappo569 posted:

Did anyone ever figure out if CIG is withholding VAT on the refunds or not?

They'd have to release a financial statement along with taxes paid for us to know that. They refuse to release anything related to their financials. They better hope to God they paid the taxmen in the U.S., U.K., and now Germany. I don't know about Germany, but in the U.S. and U.K. they will fry your rear end for not paying your taxes.

BluestreakBTHR
Oct 2, 2015

Fucking Star Citizen True Believers are passive-aggressive douchebags. Sorry if I have the ability to use my critical thinking skills. I didn't drink the Kool-Aid, motherfuckers.

That's me trying way too hard to fit in here. Please accept me, I need validation. I'm very depressed.
Grimey Drawer

Darkpriest667 posted:

They'd have to release a financial statement along with taxes paid for us to know that. They refuse to release anything related to their financials. They better hope to God they paid the taxmen in the U.S., U.K., and now Germany. I don't know about Germany, but in the U.S. and U.K. they will fry your rear end for not paying your taxes.

I'm pretty sure the Germans are... nevermind. I'll just stop there.

Fooma
Oct 15, 2010

nom nom nom
Any idea on Star Citizen Halloween costumes this year?

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

G0RF posted:

Claims that Star Citizen's lore is derivative of a myriad of other sci-fi properties (films, games, etc.) are incontrovertible-- and its been discussed here before. I just don't think we've started to make a list of which properties they are reappropriating and where. You may find it unworthy of discussion -- I find it worthier than beating the "Sandi is a racist" gong, which, incidentally, is why I brought it up.

I don't disagree that it's derivative, but so what? Most media is derivative. It's all in the execution, although that might not SC's great strong suit either.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kakarot posted:

Game looks like its coming along well.

Are these cosmetic? https://www.eternalcrusade.com/rogue-trader/products/all

I am not too familiar with their microtransaction scheme outside of this design (which I can actually dig)

quote:

Monetization: Eternal Crusade is limited free-to-play. All players can play for free, but will be limited to playing as Ork Boyz (the basic soldier of the Ork faction) at the game start. Paying players who purchase a copy of the full game will be able to play as all classes from all factions. Also, players will be able to buy specific factions from a game store that will also sell faction appropriate cosmetic items, operating via a microtransaction service.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Mukip posted:

I don't disagree that it's derivative, but so what? Most media is derivative. It's all in the execution, although that might not SC's great strong suit either.
Aside from extracting funds from gullible nerds, an area in which they truly shine, what would you say are some of their strong suits?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Monetization: Eternal Crusade

what an excellent name for star citizen

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

Agrajag posted:

im a proud sissy drinker, idgaf

ciders and ipas are both good imo

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Darkpriest667 posted:

What I meant was, any UK goons that have received refunds, did they get the whole thing (minus paypal fees) ?

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

WhyteRyce posted:

IPAs and cider? Guess they have to encompass both the hipster snobs and sissy drinkers at the same time

Maybe this is some American thing (I know yanks have 'hard' cider - are you on about the non-alcoholic stuff we call apple juice?), but decent cider from the UK west country gets you proper hosed up, and tastes damm good to boot.

And IPA is about as cool with hipsters as fixed gear bikes are, so very much several years ago. Anyone who likes their booze bitter-tasting and complex is still happily necking the stuff, and giving zero shits.

/boozetalk

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

Memories

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Mukip posted:

Tip: knowing so many personal details about people who are making a video game is a bit creepy.

"allegedly" making a video game

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Fooma posted:

Wear a picture of a costume

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

SneakyFrog posted:

:vince:

is it that bad horribad? like entertaining horribad at least?

At least Star Crash is entertaining to watch. It has a robot with a texas accent and a not-lightsabre fight.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

xiansi posted:

Maybe this is some American thing (I know yanks have 'hard' cider - are you on about the non-alcoholic stuff we call apple juice?), but decent cider from the UK west country gets you proper hosed up, and tastes damm good to boot.

And IPA is about as cool with hipsters as fixed gear bikes are, so very much several years ago. Anyone who likes their booze bitter-tasting and complex is still happily necking the stuff, and giving zero shits.

/boozetalk

American cider sucks and either tastes like a weak lager with apple juice in it or watered down apple juice. English cider is tasty and I would drink it more when I'm over there if I didn't love English or Scotch ales

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fooma posted:

Walk around naked cause the costume doesn't exist

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Sappo569 posted:

What I meant was, any UK goons that have received refunds, did they get the whole thing (minus paypal fees) ?

Great question. Any goons from the U.K. or anywhere in Europe that got a refund able to verify you got your VAT back?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Sappo569 posted:

Did anyone ever figure out if CIG is withholding VAT on the refunds or not?

They won't be, it's illegal and would get them hosed fast.

Sappo569 posted:

They shouldn't be deducting paypal fees either in the UK.

AP fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 23, 2015

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

AP posted:

They won't be, it's illegal and would get them hosed fast.

They shouldn't be deducting paypal fees either in the UK.

I remember a goon from 500 pages ago got their refund, and it sounded like VAT was withheld, there was a multi page discussion on loving over the VAT man

But then it got buried by some other drama

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Sappo569 posted:

it sounded like VAT was withheld

It might have been FAT. I don't think they want to go out of business in the UK just yet so I'd wait for someone actually proving me wrong.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheDude1080 posted:

quote:

"search for and publish private or identifying information about (a particular individual) on the Internet, typically with malicious intent."

I've highlighted the relevant parts for you.

It doesn't matter that it was already on the internet somewhere, and it doesn't matter what the intent was. That's doxxing.

And no, posting publicly available info about Dr. Smart isn't doxxing. That's the cost of being a limited public figure.

:psyduck:

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
In my professional opinion the poster bellow me is a fart face. Also you can't sue me.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

BluestreakBTHR posted:

That's hurtful, man.
Unless Chuck Norris is in the movie with me. Then it's better than any movie ever.

nah all in good fun. and of course Chuck is involved of course.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Szcwczuk posted:

In my professional opinion the poster bellow me is a fart face. Also you can't sue me.

HEY

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Unfunny Poster posted:

You know what, I'm more hyped to try out Warhammer 40k: Eternal Crusade than anything CIG have put out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_6vgmHmJ_o

Added that it will more than likely be well below my internal hype.

Edit - They, like CIG, do a weekly stream but they also seem to be showing off coherent gameplay in the pre-alpha state.

They have a ways to go before they reach Space Marine's level of PROPER STOMPY MARINE-ness, but they're patching really quickly and seem to be getting better at the least.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

What gets me about the mindset is, in the same breath, they go on about how many megs of logs they have because archiving is sticking it to the man (gently caress yeah, archiving!). It's only doxxing if you do it to them, though.

What's a PhD in Derekology, that's what I want to know. Is it a community college thing?

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Owned.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gwaihir posted:

They have a ways to go before they reach Space Marine's level of PROPER STOMPY MARINE-ness, but they're patching really quickly and seem to be getting better at the least.

Yeah, Space Marine had a great feel to it. I don't mind what I've seen so far though, and am pretty interested in playing it. A whole horde of Goons playing as Orcs will own.

ewe2 posted:

What gets me about the mindset is, in the same breath, they go on about how many megs of logs they have because archiving is sticking it to the man (gently caress yeah, archiving!). It's only doxxing if you do it to them, though.

What's a PhD in Derekology, that's what I want to know. Is it a community college thing?

Yeah, the hypocrisy is what makes me laugh very hard.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

I have been owned.
oh poo poo.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
I swear those Star Citizen White Knight cult members have clearly lost it.

The same crap they pulled last week and which got my Reddit account /u/thedereksmart shadowbanned, is what they're trying to pull again over this ilovecreamsoda bullshit.

So I wrote them a TwitLonger. Again.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beet Wagon posted:

Some spergo wrote up an insane "threat assessment" on D_Smart using his bullshit security guard credentials.

Turns out he did the dumbest thing possible and didn't like... use a throwaway account or anything. Smart tracked him down in about 5 minutes and bent him over a barrel.

Yeah, it all played out over here and recapped here.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

quote:

if the negativity and noise kill off SC’s funding, that adds risk to the project, and makes the doomsday scenario more likely

There's the out for Chris. "It's the GOOOOOOOON's fault!"

We will be cast out. Pariahs.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

spacetoaster posted:

Totally, our secret plan of sabotaging the ultimate space game is almost complete.

Mu hu.

mu ha

muhahaha.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Unfunny Poster posted:

Yeah, Space Marine had a great feel to it. I don't mind what I've seen so far though, and am pretty interested in playing it. A whole horde of Goons playing as Orcs will own.

yea, looks wise I think they're pretty good, it's just the control fluidity, feel (You can't strafe while running, it does a weird curving turn thing), and weapon feedback that needs the most work atm. Especially compared to Space Marine's melee combat, which was really good and smashy. But they're making consistent improvement so it should end up being pretty good.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

spacetoaster posted:

I thought we were pariahs in every game we play?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
I am on the Open House stream https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc0pCaHpuZY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Gwaihir posted:

yea, looks wise I think they're pretty good, it's just the control fluidity, feel (You can't strafe while running, it does a weird curving turn thing), and weapon feedback that needs the most work atm. Especially compared to Space Marine's melee combat, which was really good and smashy. But they're making consistent improvement so it should end up being pretty good.

I look forward to it, because grimdark overwrought gothic styled sci fi is the poo poo.

• Locked thread