Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Another Person posted:

France, who owns jack poo poo outside of three colonies and France itself is #2. USA, who has done literally nothing all game, is #3. GB is naturally #1.

I'm not even sure how to overtake any of them in terms of score, but outside of GB, I am pretty confident I could take any of them on in a fight. Especially if I called in my sphere allies, the Netherlands, Italy and Persia. It seems Prussia has stalled and the NGF will never form. Austria is on the decline too. Russia has lost GP status. This game is so weird, somehow Bavaria is a GP. 7th, at that.

Now that I have colonised the hell out of Africa, what should I be looking to do? I am kind of at a loss at where to go next.

Go for SE Asia and its sweet, sweet oil/rubber?

(The USA is always going to shoot up the rankings because it's a huge territory with plenty of space for factories and enough immigration bonuses to have the population necessary to man said factories in time. France is harder to explain, but I bet a good war could puncture their prestige and industry.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Another Person posted:

France, who owns jack poo poo outside of three colonies and France itself is #2. USA, who has done literally nothing all game, is #3. GB is naturally #1.

I'm not even sure how to overtake any of them in terms of score, but outside of GB, I am pretty confident I could take any of them on in a fight. Especially if I called in my sphere allies, the Netherlands, Italy and Persia. It seems Prussia has stalled and the NGF will never form. Austria is on the decline too. Russia has lost GP status. This game is so weird, somehow Bavaria is a GP. 7th, at that.

Now that I have colonised the hell out of Africa, what should I be looking to do? I am kind of at a loss at where to go next.

Much like EU4 taught me to hate France, Victoria II taught me to hate England and the US.

Seriously gently caress you America and not needing to get involved in any crisis ever. And gently caress your navy, England. I hope you went for commerce raiders early and blew up the English fleet while they were still making GBS threads out Man O' Wars.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Another Person posted:

I'd imagine you're probably behind the US and GB in industry, and behind France in prestige. What you need to do now is get some factories built - try to get a party in power that's state capitalism or planned economy, then built factories that will make use of the huge amount of available raw material you'll have from all that territory in Africa.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Another Person posted:

That's USA's best strategy, honestly. Stay out of stupid European bullshit while building up their population and industry.

Take the rest of Africa. Every last grain of sand from Cape Town to the Suez must be united under glorious progressive republic of Scandinavia!

Alternatively work on Southeast Asia. Or even try to secure freedom for India, that'd be a project that takes your remaining 60 years I bet.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Much like EU4 taught me to hate France, Victoria II taught me to hate England and the US.

Seriously gently caress you America and not needing to get involved in any crisis ever. And gently caress your navy, England. I hope you went for commerce raiders early and blew up the English fleet while they were still making GBS threads out Man O' Wars.

I've only fought GB once, and it was in some dumb crisis war when my whole economy was on fire because the Ottomans left my sphere by going up to #8 again, so I had very little money for boats. That taught me to go for Persia instead, who has similar amounts of resources but never has its poo poo together to actually become a power. Built them some railways and chucked them in my sphere.

Tomn posted:

Go for SE Asia and its sweet, sweet oil/rubber?

(The USA is always going to shoot up the rankings because it's a huge territory with plenty of space for factories and enough immigration bonuses to have the population necessary to man said factories in time. France is harder to explain, but I bet a good war could puncture their prestige and industry.)

The Netherlands and GB kind of have SE Asia in a stranglehold. The Netherlands is in my sphere, so that ain't a big issue though. What they get, I get some of.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Start dismantling countries (when you hit the turn of the century) and throwing their shattered remains into your sphere. Take a chunk of China or Japan.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Start dismantling countries (when you hit the turn of the century) and throwing their shattered remains into your sphere. Take a chunk of China or Japan.

You know what, I could probably take a fair chunk of Japan pretty easy. I hadn't looked at them before, I'll be sure to check them out.

e; took chunk of japan. also turned korea into a protectorate and sphered china. were these good ideas?

Another Person fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Oct 24, 2015

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

Another Person posted:

You know what, I could probably take a fair chunk of Japan pretty easy. I hadn't looked at them before, I'll be sure to check them out.

e; took chunk of japan. also turned korea into a protectorate and sphered china. were these good ideas?

The first two definitely seem like fine ideas, sphering China CAN completely trash your economy as all your populace start buying plentiful chinese goods without paying tarrifs/contributing to your own economy, but you might be okay if you're fairly well developed.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Well its sounds like NFs have a 'historical' tag to them, and the player can opt between pure historical (historical NFs always chosen) or 'open' where AI choices are weighted towards historical but they can diverge.

Yup. Also, just because you decide to take France or whoever and flip to fascist doesn't mean things will necessarily go smoothly. Look at Spain, for example...

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Darkrenown posted:

Yup. Also, just because you decide to take France or whoever and flip to fascist doesn't mean things will necessarily go smoothly. Look at Spain, for example...

That'd be a hilarious slap in the player's face- they put all that energy in to doing to switch to Fascism, activate the NF, and immediately have a civil war. Then they somehow lose it, stay a democracy, and get wiped out by Germany even faster than usual.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Defeatist Elitist posted:

The first two definitely seem like fine ideas, sphering China CAN completely trash your economy as all your populace start buying plentiful chinese goods without paying tarrifs/contributing to your own economy, but you might be okay if you're fairly well developed.

I am very well developed. When I sphered China, I don't think it did anything at all to my economy. I was still raking in around 3k a day, and my factories are all fine. Like, I'm building phone, planes and cars by this point.

I think I killed a whole generation of men in China in that war because they just kept marching 90 stacks into my 40 stacks, and they would all die in three days or less. China is real dumb in this game, I ended up killing all of their troops and then all of their mobilised troops. They would lose like 10k in a day. I've got a long peace ahead of me now though, I have 24.99 infamy due to the Chinese war coming immediately after the Korean war, because they declared on me.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 24, 2015

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.

That'd be a hilarious slap in the player's face- they put all that energy in to doing to switch to Fascism, activate the NF, and immediately have a civil war. Then they somehow lose it, stay a democracy, and get wiped out by Germany even faster than usual.

They had mentioned that in an earlier dev diary. Dynamic civil wars are a thing. If you want Germany led by gay, black Hitler, it's likely to trigger a civil war if you can't get overwhelming support.

*edit* Every country gets optional demagogues they can pop into an advisor slot to push the country in a direction.
Political DD

I'm on my phone, so I can't find the civil war discussion right now.

MilkmanLuke fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Oct 24, 2015

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

MilkmanLuke posted:

They had mentioned that in an earlier dev diary. Dynamic civil wars are a thing. If you want Germany led by gay, black Hitler, it's likely to trigger a civil war if you can't get overwhelming support.

Are you suggesting a gay, black Hitler wouldn't get overwhelming support?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

MilkmanLuke posted:

quote:

Dynamic civil wars

:circlefap: Kaiserreich for HoI IV may actually be easier to make than Kaiserreich for Darkest Hour.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Are you suggesting a gay, black Hitler wouldn't get overwhelming support?

The anime teenager hitler faction would never accept him.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Oh god, I unlocked Great Wars and France pretty much immediately kicked one off against me for Japan. Me and Germany vs. France, Austria-Hungary, Bavaria (who is stronger than Germany). This is gonna be rough. Germany has been a real joke this game. They can field something like 80,000 men and keep getting rolled over by pathetic nations. I really should just ditch them and take someone like Austria-Hungary.

I am actually gonna savescum the hell out of this war just to test out Viccy 2 battle mechanics. I've never really understood them too well, sometimes I will march 2 20 stacks onto one 20 stack in favourable conditions and still lose. Time to learn why and how.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
How is the HoI3 AI at war when you automate theatres and give them orders? I love watching them spread out and do my bidding, but i just played my first game and the invasion of France took like a year longer than it historically should have. I might have hosed up my unit composition tho or something, but i figured i should ask if its generally a "bad thing" before i start a new game.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Another Person posted:

Oh god, I unlocked Great Wars and France pretty much immediately kicked one off against me for Japan. Me and Germany vs. France, Austria-Hungary, Bavaria (who is stronger than Germany). This is gonna be rough. Germany has been a real joke this game. They can field something like 80,000 men and keep getting rolled over by pathetic nations. I really should just ditch them and take someone like Austria-Hungary.

I am actually gonna savescum the hell out of this war just to test out Viccy 2 battle mechanics. I've never really understood them too well, sometimes I will march 2 20 stacks onto one 20 stack in favourable conditions and still lose. Time to learn why and how.

The AI is willing to micromanage its generals. As a concequence they'll have a 6-5 general leading their stack when your force has a 1-0 drunkard that was autoassigned to it 20 years ago.

Also fighting on territory you have a fort on reduces your casulties.

Finally, The RNG is a fickle bitch who will give you low rolls leading to you losing in favorable conditions.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
I don't know this off the top of my head, but is there a conversion tool for taking EU4 games into Vicky 2? I kind of want to take my Byzantium game in EU4 forward and see how quickly the country fractures under the strain of all of the different cultures I control.

Also Austin Walker over at Giant Bomb interviewed Paradox's CEO and COO about a bunch of stuff, with a good focus on community interaction.

http://www.giantbomb.com/podcasts/giant-bomb-presents/

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Has the AI perhaps developed mustard gas while you don't have gas masks?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Will HoI4 have Vicky-style flags for each ideology? Need to know if fascist France's sparkle fasces still lives on.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Also: Don't march into machine guns unless you have numerical superiority.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Please don't do what Darkest Hour did with commie flags and just stick a hammer and sickle on the existing one, they looked silly!

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I kind of like that particular one, actually. The hammer and sickle are in a bit of a weird rotation though.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Last time I played Victoria 2 I played on the United States of America which is pretty much just 'Autopilot: Great Power Edition'. Is there any good guides on how/when to industrialise and guides to combat? I want to do a Prussia/Russia game but I realise it is far more involved the USA ever was.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Groogy posted:

Has the AI perhaps developed mustard gas while you don't have gas masks?

I'd think they did sometimes, even though it was like 1890. For example, usually I can kill a whole generation of Japanese soldiers with a 60 stack of good men. Like, I can take on 100 men with it and wipe them. Then other times my men all just drop dead because they got bored of fighting. It was probably garbage generals.

Also, I just had a hilarious 'great' war. France and the USA vs. me, the UK, Germany, Austria-Hungary, Italy and Russia over my tiny Japanese holdings. I'm sure proud of winning that war, the one where I didn't need to look at anything other than my 5 states in Japan. I made sure to just give the French lands away for their stupidity.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Dongattack posted:

How is the HoI3 AI at war when you automate theatres and give them orders? I love watching them spread out and do my bidding, but i just played my first game and the invasion of France took like a year longer than it historically should have. I might have hosed up my unit composition tho or something, but i figured i should ask if its generally a "bad thing" before i start a new game.

The theatre AI is pretty bad. I've seen people recommend putting Army Groups or Armies on auto control, but it's still too dumb IMO. Units'll get jumbled out of radio range 95% of the time, rendering leader bonuses above division pretty much moot, and the weirdest poo poo can happen when the AI just decides to move all its units back and forth at once for no apparant reason.

Me, I just played with manual control all the way :smug: outside of those times where the USSR beyond Moscow/Germany beyond the Elbe/US beyond the Appalachias just didn't get that they were beaten.

:shepface:

Alternatively, wait for HoI4!

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Koesj posted:

The theatre AI is pretty bad. I've seen people recommend putting Army Groups or Armies on auto control, but it's still too dumb IMO. Units'll get jumbled out of radio range 95% of the time, rendering leader bonuses above division pretty much moot, and the weirdest poo poo can happen when the AI just decides to move all its units back and forth at once for no apparant reason.

Me, I just played with manual control all the way :smug: outside of those times where the USSR beyond Moscow/Germany beyond the Elbe/US beyond the Appalachias just didn't get that they were beaten.

:shepface:

Thanks!
I will do this:

Koesj posted:

Alternatively, wait for HoI4!

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Another Person posted:

I'd think they did sometimes, even though it was like 1890. For example, usually I can kill a whole generation of Japanese soldiers with a 60 stack of good men. Like, I can take on 100 men with it and wipe them. Then other times my men all just drop dead because they got bored of fighting. It was probably garbage generals.

Check their tech level, military tactics and all the +artillery attack techs matter a lot. There's a bunch of inventions in the infantry line as well that make it so your dudes start getting better at defense with machine guns and then better at attack afterwards, so you should try to stay on the defensive while you're on machine guns. It also obviously makes a difference whether they're sending a lot of arty your way or just mobilized brigades.

And look at the drat combat rolls.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

GrossMurpel posted:

Check their tech level, military tactics and all the +artillery attack techs matter a lot. There's a bunch of inventions in the infantry line as well that make it so your dudes start getting better at defense with machine guns and then better at attack afterwards, so you should try to stay on the defensive while you're on machine guns. It also obviously makes a difference whether they're sending a lot of arty your way or just mobilized brigades.

And look at the drat combat rolls.

I had been maxxed on miltech for the time for about 30 years, and Japan was kind of a joke in terms of tech. It was probably just a case of bad generals and bad rolls that messed me up there. I still won the war, because I managed to trap like 120,000 of their men on an island with boats.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

GrossMurpel posted:

There's a bunch of inventions in the infantry line as well that make it so your dudes start getting better at defense with machine guns and then better at attack afterwards, so you should try to stay on the defensive while you're on machine guns.

Whether you're on the offensive or defensive shouldn't make a difference when it comes to the machine gun stats, should it? I thought unit attack/defense always applied in all battles, with attack allowing you to kill more and defense allowing you to handle more hits regardless of who attacked who.

That being said there is the one tech line that increases your dig-in cap, THAT would give the defender a larger bonus, but only if they had time to dig in.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

How much does digging in even do in vicky 2?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

How much does digging in even do in vicky 2?

It applies a direct penalty to the attacker's die rolls, but one that degrades over time. So pretty huge with sufficiently high levels, but it only works in the opening days of the battle before it becomes a deathstack scrum.

Haig was right, all you need to do to break a trench is to throw more men at the problem.

Edit:

This is honestly one of the big weaknesses with Vicky 2's combat system, it's all set up to try and encourage WW1-style front lines by the end game but the player doesn't have nearly enough tools to micromanage armies enough to form a continuous front line and the combat system ultimately actually encourages mashing everything into a single apocalyptic deathmatch instead.

Tomn fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Oct 25, 2015

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Bait the entirety of the opposing force into a decisive battle -> rotate out your stacks so they can recover -> surround the battle -> wipe their army and win the war a year later.

Alternatively, just start occupying everything. But that's even more micro.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Vicky 3 won't actually have provinces, but instead it'll be various regions and you can apply power to fronts in these regions (or at sea) during war time.

Your green lines will gradually become more swole and beat into their red lines.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Gamerofthegame posted:

Vicky 3 won't actually have provinces, but instead it'll be various regions and you can apply power to fronts in these regions (or at sea) during war time.

Your green lines will gradually become more swole and beat into their red lines.

Being able to arbitrarily draw lines on the map to create administrative divisions out of an underlying population density map is my wistful dream for mapgames

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Gamerofthegame posted:

this but unironically

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Gamerofthegame posted:

VerdantSquire posted:

this but unironically

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Gamerofthegame posted:

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Holy gently caress how good would that be? A wargame where you leave the actual moving of armies to the jocks in the war room and all you do is make deals, do research, and allocate resources. Maybe some high level arrow drawing. Victory through superior application of economics and diplomacy.