Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Ravane posted:

Yeah, I got insulted a bunch for only spending 30bux. Hahahaha.
Give us their names. They deserve mockery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
name and shame. name and shame.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Omi-Polari posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXsQAXx_ao0

Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy

Omi-Polari posted:

Agrajag posted:

name and shame. name and shame.

We all get our taste of redditor blood after DSmizzle owned Paul Blart.

Now goons need fatter, more tender, cheeto-crusted goonflesh.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Chocobo posted:

There is another early Star Citizen thread out there, it was also gassed. Can't find it.

Man, read that first thread. Look at how loving excited we all were. Look at us goading eachother into buying more.

We believed. How loving stupid are we?

Think it's this one, dates back from 2012

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3511398

People were talking about Bomber Bros (I remember that) and women's armored suits

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 24, 2015

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Mukip posted:

Yeah, well that's some bullshit. It's disingenious how they push this "verified but not really" angle. They aren't confident in their sources but they went to publication anyway. Until we hear something solid about it the shoddy behavior of the Escapist casts doubt on everything.

What the hell are you talking about? It's not "verified but not really." It's "not verifiable enough to be considered."

The Escapist: Posts a detailed account including what methods were done to talk to the sources, how and when they were contacted, and shed light on what they didn't consider to be trustworthy enough to go to press.

CIG: writes long letter saying "it's not true because we say so!"

The Escapist was completely confident and continues to be, and when challenged is still standing their ground on the article.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Think it's this one, dates back from 2012

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3511398

People were talking about Bomber Bros (I remember that) and women's armored suits

man. this is depressing. all the dreams are like

farrrrrrt.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Anticipated Release Date Info

Hangar Module
Approximate date: August 2013

Dogfighting Module
Approximate date: December 2013

Social / Planetside Module
Approximate date: March-April 2014

Squadron 42 / Singleplayer Alpha
Approximate date: August 2014

Persistent Universe Module / Beta
Approximate date: End of 2014

Star Citizen & Squadron 42
Approximate date: Early 2015

LOL

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
its sad really.

Id like to think id be pretty effective at crushing dreams but hell. with these flashes from the past, hell. I figure beer has aged like obama over this. sorry dude.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Oh, how naive we were...

efb

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

quote:

I'm interested in how CIG will deal with the consequences of the pledge system. Will CIG balance the game to protect the value of all these pledge assets? There is an enourmous amount of Q&A to be done between now and launch, including a lot of balancing. The problem is, the pledge ships have already been arranged in a sort of hierarchy based on what CIG imagines is their desirability. Potentially we could see a situation where your $125 dollar spaceship is very easily attained- market forces or balance reasons could even make it less valuable than a ship from a cheaper pledge tier. CIG are selling things whose ultimate value neither they nor their customers can predict- which is fine. That sort of thing happens all the time. The problem is that their pricing scheme implies a certain relative value that doesn't really exist. Caveat emptor I guess.

A possible way of avoiding this would be to establish price controls on the market for hulls, although that would be at the risk of smothering the player controlled aspect of ship production. They would have to adjust them taking into account the buying power of UEC, which I suspect is another thing CIG is going to be wringing their hands over.

The problem with being able to buy UEC directly with real money is that it creates a very large, unpredictable faucet that dumps money on the economy. Hyperinflation will be hard to avoid, and if prices don't move, balance will be hosed. If the prices of hull are entirely in the hands of players, then your pledge stuff could end up being $125 for something that can be earned in 4hrs of game time.

And I think it goes without saying, CIG is going to run into significant problems from the community when they try to balance pledge ships.

quote:

I digress. I did have a unique opportunity to sit down for lunch with a mod and pick his brain. It was also nice because both of us have friends on the development team and have been able to see behind the curtain. So, we were able to share some stories. Beyond that, (put on your tin foil hats, those who are paranoid) multiple members of CIG's dev team are goons and so are some of the mods . CIG is quite aware of the rules of SA, but they wish to use a different set, not that they aren't learning some hard lessons along the way.

quote:

Oh god, seems I have spent enough to have access to the concierge. So this is what being a space Romney feels like ?

quote:

Look, it's fine that CIG wants to increase funding via the sale of more ships. I just think this atmosphere of exclusivity they are cultivating for everything from the Super Hornet to the Idris-P is encouraging some very irresponsible behavior from their fanbase. I'm not aware of any other crowd funding projects where people spend student loan money or offer timeshares so they can pledge $1000 to the game.

The response: "Jesus Christ, check your privilege you loving sperg. All the ships will be available to everyone in the game regardless." and "Seriously, what the gently caress? Why are we (yet again) having to devote pages and pages of discussion frantically defending the game against a couple of people claiming CIG has some nefarious / incompetent intent behind everything and are trying to screw everyone? This is getting very old, and I'm tired of repeating exactly the same arguments from several pages ago."

I see a number of folks who have still been following the "development" of the game since the old threads and I'm wondering, do you remember the event/post when your opinion changed on this project?

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 24, 2015

Dunite
Oct 12, 2013

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

People were talking about Bomber Bros (I remember that)

That first thread was Bomber Bros and Space Romney's.

People were genuinely proud of their financial investment.

Even more so when they flipped their ships on hapless fools who are probably still in this scam.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Devian666 the prophet

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i remember bomber bros.. i thought it was going to be the next great goonfleet.

.. i just couldnt bring myself to beat that asteroids game

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

Soothing Vapors posted:

This is genuinely pathetic

Having been in a similar situation, I feel deeply sorry for those two

Frankly i find it racist to contantly parade two black ppl around for the sole purpose of proving you have black ppl on the team.

Amun Khonsu fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 24, 2015

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
who wants to start a new Goonrathi with Kimsemus and I as officers

taking applications for the guild leader

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Eonwe posted:

who wants to start a new Goonrathi with Kimsemus and I as officers

taking applications for the guild leader

is there a game? or is this just shitpost fleet?

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

This thread had a bit of everything. Chris Roberts even attacked games journalists

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3511398&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=11#post408863495

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

G0RF posted:

You never post too much, Peter-- only too little.

He should post more cat pictures.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Amun Khonsu posted:

Frankly i find it racisy to contantly parade two black ppl around for the sole purpose of proving you have black ppl on the team.

I wonder, are they introduced? do they ever speak?
"Hello, I'm token #1 and I like coffee." "hey guys, I'm T0k3n #2, I like hats, d'ye like bread"?

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU loving WISH FOR
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3511398&pagenumber=12&perpage=40#post408935605

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Sappo569 posted:

Sandi will probably be in attendance, image modified for accuracy

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

From the first thread...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMcp06Sdwe8
That's like some prophecy right there.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
this is oh so glorious!

Young Freud posted:

From the first thread...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMcp06Sdwe8
That's like some prophecy right there.

lol early 2015

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Well, I guess technically we can't say "it's been two years and the game is terrible" because that would require an existing game

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

:shittypop:

Also

somegoon in 2013 posted:

It's better to be optimistic for two years and utterly devastated for one month, then to be cynical for two years and smug for a day.

Gassed thread are always hilarious in hindsight.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why are CIG posting their seating arrangement for the new Star Wars film? idgi.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Unfunny Poster posted:

Look at how many REAL EMPLOYEES we still have!

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 24, 2015

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
pretty sure i've been feeling smug going on 2 weeks now or however long this thread has existed

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
No matter how many times I hear it, it amazes me how "I got my money's worth" just totally shuts down people's brains.

Incombibulator
Dec 9, 2014

I'm ready for my close-up
Ms. Gardiner...

Grimey Drawer

Unfunny Poster posted:

Have a look for yourself
It's just another "look at us, we so cool" post by Darth Gardiner.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Mukip posted:

Yeah, well that's some bullshit. It's disingenious how they push this "verified but not really" angle. They aren't confident in their sources but they went to publication anyway. Until we hear something solid about it the shoddy behavior of the Escapist casts doubt on everything.

In this dream I had I worked at CIG and Sandi regularly called me the N word (even though I'm super white), I was once lashed 30 times for not producing jpegs rapidly enough, there were mandatory twice monthly pube inspections, and this big fat gently caress tried regularly to literally eat me.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

quote:

Don't worry, if you're concerned about these ships being underpowered, you'll be happy to know you can sell your current ships and buy this NEW ship we're introducing! The price difference is only a couple hundred dollars, what a steal!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

quote:

Except the game won't exist because Chrissie R just made $125k in the span of 5 minutes and why gently caress with a good thing.

You guys are suckers for still falling for this scam. I bet once the dogfighting alpha doesn't release in December you guys are still going to throw money at this guy.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
Posted in Nov. 2013. DFM released June the next year

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 24, 2015

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I wanna see Star Wars with Derek Smart. :3:

Jimb
Feb 14, 2005
I will be the first to admit that I was loving hyped for this when it was first announced. 2012 was a long long time ago and nothing progressed at all. You also need to keep in mind that all of the horrible poo poo thats been leaking out of the poop factory just didnt exist yet.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SneakyFrog posted:

is there a game? or is this just shitpost fleet?

what do you think :)

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

quote:

I love these guys coming in promising to be back in 2 years to lap up all the backers tears. We could be dog fighting within the next month or two and that will evolve over the next two years. Also, new things will be added during that time, which we've already seen the first few step of.

There isn't going to be a 'day' in 2 years where everyone finds out it was all smoke and mirrors and the internet cries out in agony. It'll either be death of a thousand cuts or a game that gets molded and improved to how we all want to play.

Not sure my Avenger and Freelancer made it onto the fleet tracker btw?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
It piqued my curiosity enough that I went and made an account at rsi. but I did not bite as I have penty of digital space ships behind a paywall in EVE, I dont feel like repeting the mistake,
Then I stuck with the threads, dropping in to see it gradually shift in course.

Edit :

Eonwe posted:

what do you think :)

Can I be front admiral of the shitpost fleet?

• Locked thread