Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
Definitely go Modern Pantry or Kopapa (be sure to book), I was at Dishoom for brunch a couple of weeks ago and while the food was good, the service was poor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
So they've booked a table for 5 people at Kopapa for 11:30 but they've been told they need the table back by 1 :smith:

I've suggest Hoi Polloi as a backup because that looks awesome. Cheers!

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
My partner and I went to Little Bay in Kilburn for date night. The food was tasty and we had starters, mains, and a huge glass of wine each for £39. It was very reasonable, so I can definitely recommend it for anyone around that way! Relaxed but not inattentive service, and it's a stone's throw from the station.

Where's good (but not super fancy) for going with parents near King's Cross?

Bollock Monkey fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 17, 2015

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Bollock Monkey posted:

My partner and I went to Little Bay in Kilburn for date night. The food was tasty and we had starters, mains, and a huge glass of wine each for £39. It was very reasonable, so I can definitely recommend it for anyone around that way! Relaxed but not inattentive service, and it's a stone's throw from the station.

Where's good (but not super fancy) for going with parents near King's Cross?

I was quite impressed by Camino tapas. Not amazing but pretty good for the location.

Caravan is pretty nice but might be too noisy.

therattle fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 17, 2015

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Anyone got any recommendations for places to eat in the Brixton area? I know there's plenty in the Brixton market to look for, but maybe people know of good places outside of it too?

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Fujiyama!

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008
Hi guys,

my girlfriend and I will be meeting her parents in London in December, and we're looking for places to take them. Basically, we'd like to eat at restaurants that are under 40 pounds/pp, in Central, take reservations for dinner, and are somewhat quiet. I think we're gonna do dinner one night at Goodman, but we'd like maybe one more place for dinner, plus lunch suggestions. Her dad's into wine, so places with a decent selection would be a big bonus, although it isn't necessarily obligatory. In terms of type of food, we're all open ended- I know that leaves it a bit vague, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
Anyone here been to Paradise Garage yet? I'm planning on going in a couple of weeks for the tasting menu....

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

sharktamer posted:

Anyone got any recommendations for places to eat in the Brixton area? I know there's plenty in the Brixton market to look for, but maybe people know of good places outside of it too?

KaoSarn in Brixton Market is excellent Thai food. If you're looking for outside the Market, the White Horse is a short walk straight up Brixton Hill and does well-above-average pub food in a pretty nice setting.

But really, the market is where it's at food-wise in Brixton in my experience.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
Went to Shotgun BBQ for their soft launch and was quite impressed. We had the combination plates (£19 inc 2 sides Boston Butt, pork belly and Iberico ribs) with potato salad, green salad and coleslaw as well as some duck breast. Their sauces to accompany the meat were decent although the hot BBQ sauce could have done with a bit more of a kick. Greengage sauce to go with the duck was inspired. LOVED the slaw as it wasn't drowning in creamy dressing. I wasn't drinking but the cocktails looked delicious and their blueberry limeade was really really tasty. Decor is really nice and atmosphere cosy.

Desserts were excellent, pecan brownie was one of the best I've ever had and their soft serve ice cream was as smooth as the stuff made by that liquid nitrogen ice cream place in Camden, Top notch.

This weekend, very excited to be trying the tasting menu at Paradise Garage!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

GiantAmazonianOtter posted:

Went to Shotgun BBQ

Oh, it's from the Lockhart people. Something about them rubs me up the wrong way. Paying out the nose for what is essentially cheap diner food bothers me immensely.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I'm glad I went but they've got some stiff competition.

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008

This weekend, very excited to be trying the tasting menu at Paradise Garage!

I'm going there for the tasting menu tomorrow for a work party. I'll let you know what my experience is like.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Ok, I'm back in London in December and looking for a fantastic meal for 2 around Christmas time.

Price: Up to £150 with booze (very upper limit)
Food: One person is vegetarian (me!) so that needs to be considered. No Middle Eastern. Other than that, pretty open.

Places we are considering: Bocca Di Lupo, The Ledbury (lunch), Pollen Street Social (lunch), Launceston Place (lunch), Gymkhana, Outlaw's at The Capital. This is after an hour of poking, so we haven't really put much thought into this yet. Comedy option: Just take the £150 and get blitzed at Nightjar

EDIT: The SO and her friends ended up at Kopapa based on everyone in this thread that suggested it. She said it was awesome and everyone enjoyed it, so thank you for that :)

angor fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 14, 2015

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007

Artificial Idiocy posted:

I'm going there for the tasting menu tomorrow for a work party. I'll let you know what my experience is like.

What's the verdict then?

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

angor posted:

Ok, I'm back in London in December and looking for a fantastic meal for 2 around Christmas time.

Food: One person is vegetarian (me!) so that needs to be considered. No Middle Eastern. Other than that, pretty open.

Places we are considering: Bocca Di Lupo, The Ledbury (lunch), Pollen Street Social (lunch), Launceston Place (lunch), Gymkhana, Outlaw's at The Capital. This is after an hour of poking, so we haven't really put much thought into this yet. Comedy option: Just take the £150 and get blitzed at Nightjar

EDIT: The SO and her friends ended up at Kopapa based on everyone in this thread that suggested it. She said it was awesome and everyone enjoyed it, so thank you for that :)

Caxton Grill is a good one in that range too. I didn't really enjoy Pollen St Social for dinner - very stuffy service and cramped tables.

My favourite places are all lower budget - Salt Yard, Abeville Kitchen (recently renamed "May The Fifteenth" WTF?) or The Dairy.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

sweat poteto posted:

(recently renamed "May The Fifteenth" WTF?)

Someone either really hates Anne Boleyn or Israel, I guess. :v:

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

angor posted:

I am pretty in love with Bocca and am eagerly awaiting the next Reason I can find to go back.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Going to Vanilla Black for lunch today - anything to seek out or avoid?

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008

What's the verdict then?

Right sorry, it became a very late night afterwards and I had to go to Nottingham at 730am with a rotten hangover Thursday after getting home at 330. Back in the game now.

Paradise Garage itself was nice - being in a literal former train garage the industrial-chic aesthetic is interesting. There's some construction going on across the street so the view is currently either very authentic or a bit poo poo depending on your point of view.

Overall I think the tasting menu had some real highlights - the lamb main was delicious, and it came with lamb fry as well, which I know can be a few different organs, but I'm pretty sure it was a testicle. It was crispy and tasted good though, and now I can say I eat balls which is a solid bonus.

The bread and butter are also really good; they serve a whiskey infused smoked butter that's made in house, which was quite good. I did, however, go through a fair amount of it because the portions on the tasting menu are, as expected, quite small, and I left hungry after (which made me glad I wasn't the one paying £45 for it). There was a fish course which was excellent as well, perfectly cooked with a great texture.

I was lucky enough to have a pescatarian with a small appetite beside me, so she also gave me some nibbles from her plates including the cockles which tasted like eating the sea, in a good way.

I enjoyed the meal quite a lot, and there was no course that I didn't enjoy, but at the end I'm not sure if I'd pay that amount again for what I got. It wasn't outrageously expensive by any means, but it was also only very good and not actually amazing. Worth a try though.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Tasting menus make me think about The Fat Duck, and if there's a chinese takeaway in the same village that does an absolute roaring trade.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

The_Doctor posted:

Tasting menus make me think about The Fat Duck, and if there's a chinese takeaway in the same village that does an absolute roaring trade.

I was pretty full after the fat duck but yeah they can be beautiful but not very filling. Because of this when I went to Cellar de can roca we all decided it would be a good idea for a few chicken nuggets before hand which ended up being a terrible idea because dear god there was so much food

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

There was definitely a lot of conversation about where the nearest chicken shop was after.

I ended up not finding any more food until about 1:30am after steady drinking from 2pm onwards, but it was a surprisingly good shish taouk.

Then in proper London fashion I fell asleep on the bus and woke up in Leyton at 3am.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007

Artificial Idiocy posted:

Right sorry, it became a very late night afterwards and I had to go to Nottingham at 730am with a rotten hangover Thursday after getting home at 330. Back in the game now.

Paradise Garage itself was nice - being in a literal former train garage the industrial-chic aesthetic is interesting. There's some construction going on across the street so the view is currently either very authentic or a bit poo poo depending on your point of view.

Overall I think the tasting menu had some real highlights - the lamb main was delicious, and it came with lamb fry as well, which I know can be a few different organs, but I'm pretty sure it was a testicle. It was crispy and tasted good though, and now I can say I eat balls which is a solid bonus.

The bread and butter are also really good; they serve a whiskey infused smoked butter that's made in house, which was quite good. I did, however, go through a fair amount of it because the portions on the tasting menu are, as expected, quite small, and I left hungry after (which made me glad I wasn't the one paying £45 for it). There was a fish course which was excellent as well, perfectly cooked with a great texture.

I was lucky enough to have a pescatarian with a small appetite beside me, so she also gave me some nibbles from her plates including the cockles which tasted like eating the sea, in a good way.

I enjoyed the meal quite a lot, and there was no course that I didn't enjoy, but at the end I'm not sure if I'd pay that amount again for what I got. It wasn't outrageously expensive by any means, but it was also only very good and not actually amazing. Worth a try though.

We ended up postponing our visit as the other half had some friends staying this weekend so based on your review I think I might suss out something else for Date Night.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/oct/24/marina-oloughlin-top-50-uk-restaurants

I've lived in London for 8 years now and I haven't been to a single one of these, unless counting siblings of Koya and St Johns.

edit: from the article (for mini reviews of all these see link above)

quote:

London:

Brawn
Rules
José
40 Maltby Street
The Manor
Ciao Bella
Koya Bar
Lyle’s
Brunswick House
Gymkhana
Opera Tavern
Honey & Co
Sweetings
St John Bread & Wine
Ganapati
Moro
Kitchen Table
A Wong
Barrafina Adelaide Street
8 Hoxton Square
Street Feast
Lardo
Spuntino
Craft

Top ten:

10. Roti King
8. Bob Bob Ricard
7. The Clove Club
6. Bocca di Lupo
4. The Quality Chop House
3. Som Saa

sweat poteto fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 24, 2015

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I've heard of Ciao Bella..

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The Sportsman really is fantastic, totally worth the trip down to Whitstable.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Hey guys, going to be in London for a few days in March/April next year on our honeymoon. Going to be staying fairly central near Charing Cross. Really looking for some places to go out to that could be a bit special. I'm going to be in France and Italy before and after the trip so not looking for as much that type of cuisine (though I could be swayed) and we live in Melbourne, Australia so as snobby as this sounds I feel that we have Chinese/Malaysian food down pat. Really looking for good 'english' food with maybe some fine dining at one point.

I guess I'm just trying to think of where to go for a decent, 'English' pub meal that's a little bit special (or does that defeat the point) and also a dinner that could be a bit fancier, like a set menu or something like that, but not like 500 pounds a person as that's a bit out of our range. Happy spending up to 150 pounds on the set menu for a once off if it's worth the money though.

Any ideas? Also, what app/food review site tends to be the most reliable around london? I am just a fan of my food and with 5 days in London I don't want to plan out every meal but I also don't want to waste a lunch by looking at a restaurant and going "this is reviewed well!" and having total poo poo. Wasted meals on holidays are the worst!

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

I really enjoyed The Dairy near Clapham Common tube station. They have fixed price sets or a la carte.

http://londonsbestcoffee.com/ app will sort you out for proper coffee wherever you are.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

teacup posted:

Any ideas?

Unsurprisingly, the OP is a good place to start.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

teacup posted:

Melbourne, Australia ... snobby as this sounds

lol

Just go to Otto Lenghi, take a poo poo load of selfies of you and your coffee along with all the Americans and then complain about how poo poo British food is when you go back.

sweat poteto posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/oct/24/marina-oloughlin-top-50-uk-restaurants

I've lived in London for 8 years now and I haven't been to a single one of these, unless counting siblings of Koya and St Johns.

edit: from the article (for mini reviews of all these see link above)

Rules, Opera Tavern, Honey & Co, A Wong and Barrafina Adelaide Street are as good as they're made out to be in my experience. Laffo at Bob Bob Ricard and The Clove Club though, Bob Bob Ricard is rude as all poo poo and pains in the rear end and Clove Club is just overrated. Not horrible, but not in the top 10 by any stretch, similarly Brunswick House, which really felt like being at one of those antique tourist attractions and had nice food, but certainly not 'holy poo poo best thing ever'.

Edit: I realise these are *her* favourite restaurants, but still..

Rolled Cabbage fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Oct 26, 2015

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
Had a lovely roast dinner at Heirloom http://www.heirloomn8.co.uk/ last night, their treacle loaf was to die for. Keen to go back and try the tasting menu now.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Had a lovely roast dinner at Heirloom http://www.heirloomn8.co.uk/ last night, their treacle loaf was to die for. Keen to go back and try the tasting menu now.

I've heard good things but it's v meaty and wife is vegetarian. Right next door is Bar Esteban. Was there for lunch again yesterday; it's become quite a regular thing for us. It is still really really good.

Had a disappointing date night at Osteria Tufo. Wife had been before and liked it but this was not a good meal. Maybe they had an off night. They were very nice about it though. (I sent a dish back for being inedibly salty). Rather than stay we went to Season for pudding (their amazing chocolate rosemary pot. Always on their menu, and one of the best desserts I've ever had. It's sublime).

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Rolled Cabbage posted:

lol

Just go to Otto Lenghi, take a poo poo load of selfies of you and your coffee along with all the Americans and then complain about how poo poo British food is when you go back.

Why do Poms get all up in arms over these questions. What is more cliched, people hating British food (which I don't, and legitimately want to try some good English meals, and my snobby comment was into one particular cuisine) or British people going "lol you colonists, you don't know good good anyway so you'll just say ours is poo poo"

I've had a look at the Op but just thought since it was old things in London may have changed a bit. Any recent tips would be appreciated :)

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

teacup posted:

Why do Poms get all up in arms over these questions. What is more cliched, people hating British food (which I don't, and legitimately want to try some good English meals, and my snobby comment was into one particular cuisine) or British people going "lol you colonists, you don't know good good anyway so you'll just say ours is poo poo"

I've had a look at the Op but just thought since it was old things in London may have changed a bit. Any recent tips would be appreciated :)

As someone from Melbourne who has been to London my tips are: eat anywhere, it'll probably all be good. I don't think I had a bad food experience while I was there. And even if Asian cuisine isn't high on your list go to Chinatown and have yum cha for lunch at least once. Also, find a coffee shop run by Australians to get coffee from because anywhere else (especially coffee shop chains) are going to be awful.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The Tiffin Tin is by far my favourite Indian delivery.

Any other suggestions?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

pointsofdata posted:

Any other suggestions?

Yak & Yeti is very good too. Some people also like Dinner Box. I've had all three a number of times but Y&Y edges it. Not sure where you are though.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

pointsofdata posted:

Any other suggestions?

Bombay Munch in Dalston is excellent if you happen to be near here. And not greasy at all.

sweek0 fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 30, 2015

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

I can't find any South Indian (eg dosa, poori) that will deliver to clapham/battersea area :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

sweat poteto posted:

I can't find any South Indian (eg dosa, poori) that will deliver to clapham/battersea area :(

Any recommendations for those that deliver to N London?

I have a little story to tell. Every Friday during term time my son goes to a speech and language group near Whitecross St Market, and we always get burritos for lunch from the Luardos burrrito van (http://www.luardos.co.uk/). (It's usually me but sometimes my wife). We always chat to the people manning the van, who are all really nice. My son was diagnosed as coeliac, so I asked them if they had gluten-free tortillas - given that they are often made with cornmeal, it didn't seem like a stretch. When I went to get our burritos last week they had bought us gluten-free wraps from the nearby Waitrose, and the woman who works there had also made for us by hand using cornmeal she had from Wholefoods some gluten-free tortillas. She said that they went a bit brittle when cooked so were best cooked at home, so we got the burrito fillings in a takeaway box and pan-cooked the tortilla (which was brittle but was also really delicious). So unbelievably nice of her. (They are also the best burritos I've had - not that I've had THAT many, but I've had a few). So buy burritos from them: they taste amazing and the people are incredibly kind.