Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

hooah posted:

I've noticed that when I wake up my laptop, some windows that were maximized become un-maximized. How can I start tracking down what's causing this? It isn't happening on my desktop, so maybe it's something with the Intel integrated graphics?

Display probably got logically disconnected - think DisplayPort turnoff.

Everything reverts to 1024x768 in a situation like that because of course it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Display probably got logically disconnected - think DisplayPort turnoff.

Everything reverts to 1024x768 in a situation like that because of course it does.

Even if it's just the laptop's own screen?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

hooah posted:

Even if it's just the laptop's own screen?

Yes. That particular code doesn't know it's a laptop :downs:

EpicCodeMonkey
Feb 19, 2011

ilkhan posted:

Seriously.
Wtf dude, you're complaining about a non issue.

Or download the preview release iso, it lets you drop in a win 7 serial directly.

I've read dire warnings that you *have* to do an in-place upgrade to get the free upgrade from Win7 to Win10, and to always choose the :"Upgrade Now" option in the media creator (which has to re-download the entire image every single time, because reasons). Didn't know making a USB install drive would still allow me to try upgrading in-place, I thought it was good for clean installs only.

I tried making a USB bootable drive, which allowed me to watch it fail without having to re-download every attempt, but it still refused to finish the upgrade. I ended up grabbing an image of the new insider preview which allowed me to clean install using my Win7 key, which worked first time.

Now I have a working laptop again with Win10, freshly installed. The activation screen in the control panel says I'm activated, although the desktop has an evaluation watermark (due to the fast it is a insider preview build?). If I can convince it to revert to regular public builds I'll do that, but if not it'll be fine for the occasional uses I'm planning on using it for.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

ilkhan posted:

Not like anything has changed in the last 15 years.

OH, things have changed? Could of fooled me.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Are there any risks with going back to windows 8 after upgrading to 10?

Also is there a way to disable headphones' jack on windows 10? Mine's are busted and I can't get sound from the speakers because of it (computer think headphones are always on).

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 23, 2015

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Kurtofan posted:

Are there any risks with going back to windows 8 after upgrading to 10?

No, it just puts back your Windows.OLD folder, so should appear exactly the same as it was.

Kurtofan posted:

Also is there a way to disable headphones' jack on windows 10? Mine's are busted and I can't get sound from the speakers because of it (computer think headphones are always on).

Right click on the speaker icon near the clock at the bottom right of the screen. Click "Playback Devices". Right click on the headphone port and click Disable.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...
Well, if the downgrader works fine and none of the data in Windows.old is damaged then yeah everything will be how it was. I wouldn't say there's NO risk. Working in a computer repair shop I have seen computers that poo poo the bed during downgrade and required a clean install to boot again. I definitely recommend backing up any important data before doing the downgrade as it is possible for it to fail in the middle and leave you with no functional OS.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Zero VGS posted:

Right click on the speaker icon near the clock at the bottom right of the screen. Click "Playback Devices". Right click on the headphone port and click Disable.

I don't get the option to disable the headphone port, I've only access to Speakers, Microphone and Audio Mixing.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Kurtofan posted:

I don't get the option to disable the headphone port, I've only access to Speakers, Microphone and Audio Mixing.

Well, it should be one of them. You might have to install any old audio drivers if you upgraded from Windows 7/8, I've seen old audio drivers screw up the Win10 image we made at work so we had to uninstall them and let Win10 auto-find it's own driver instead.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Zero VGS posted:

Well, it should be one of them. You might have to install any old audio drivers if you upgraded from Windows 7/8, I've seen old audio drivers screw up the Win10 image we made at work so we had to uninstall them and let Win10 auto-find it's own driver instead.

So the old audio driver I used is probably still on my computer? Because Windows 10 doesn't give me the option to downgrade my audio driver to what used to disable headphones.

Edit: I can't find it, if it's there. my current audio driver is realtek hd audio driver.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 24, 2015

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Okay, only a few options left:

1) Try some canned air on the headphone jack, might have some poo poo stuck in it that's tripping it off

2) Realtek control panel sometimes gives an option to turn off auto-detection of plugged in devices

3) Ask your motherboard maker if they can cross-ship you a replacement, if they have really good service like EVGA they might

4) Grab a soldering iron and desolder the old jack and put a good one in

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kurtofan posted:

So the old audio driver I used is probably still on my computer? Because Windows 10 doesn't give me the option to downgrade my audio driver to what used to disable headphones.

Edit: I can't find it, if it's there. my current audio driver is realtek hd audio driver.

Realtek has Windows 10 drivers that add a bunch of features over the included windows ones. Try them

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Zero VGS posted:

Okay, only a few options left:

1) Try some canned air on the headphone jack, might have some poo poo stuck in it that's tripping it off

2) Realtek control panel sometimes gives an option to turn off auto-detection of plugged in devices

3) Ask your motherboard maker if they can cross-ship you a replacement, if they have really good service like EVGA they might

4) Grab a soldering iron and desolder the old jack and put a good one in

the control panel doesn't have poo poo for me. I have no idea why control panels are so different from mine.

EoRaptor posted:

Realtek has Windows 10 drivers that add a bunch of features over the included windows ones. Try them

I downloaded the driver from there, nothing different.

Now I've switched back to windows 8.1 and my driver that used to work (High Performance Audio) doesn't work, speakers or headphones. Great.

edit: spoke too soon, had to uninstall it first but it works now, hurray. this has been a colossal waste of time :v:

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 24, 2015

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I had a computer with a broken Windows 10 start menu, wouldn't open, gave a message you need to log off and back on and it would attempt a fix.. never fixed it. I ended up doing a repair install with the Windows 10 ISO and that actually worked to fix everything. Food for thought.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i upgraded my main machine to windows 10 a couple of months ago. i want to create two VM on this same machine. i would like to install windows 10 in each VM. is it possible to use my existing license to download two more copies of windows 10 for those VM?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Abel Wingnut posted:

i upgraded my main machine to windows 10 a couple of months ago. i want to create two VM on this same machine. i would like to install windows 10 in each VM. is it possible to use my existing license to download two more copies of windows 10 for those VM?

Might be "possible", but it's certainly against the license conditions. One Windows client license allows you to install one copy on one physical or virtual machine.

If you want to run multiple Win 10 VMs you can:
1) Run trial versions, need to reinstall every so often
2) Buy a retail license for each VM
3) Get licenses through an MS TechNet subscription

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

that's about what i figured. damnit. thanks.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

redeyes posted:

I had a computer with a broken Windows 10 start menu, wouldn't open, gave a message you need to log off and back on and it would attempt a fix.. never fixed it. I ended up doing a repair install with the Windows 10 ISO and that actually worked to fix everything. Food for thought.

Same thing on one of my machines. Straight vanilla install, nothing fancy, but the Start Menu randomly breaks itself? Reminds me of Windows Update randomly breaking 20% of the time on fresh 7 installs.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Speaking of Windows Update, it stubbornly refused to apply a cumulative update. I ran sfc /scannow, it restored the Start Menu shortcuts I'd reorganized and then the update could install.

Start Menu shortcuts.

:negative:

Duo
Aug 4, 2002

Jan posted:

Speaking of Windows Update, it stubbornly refused to apply a cumulative update. I ran sfc /scannow, it restored the Start Menu shortcuts I'd reorganized and then the update could install.

Start Menu shortcuts.

:negative:

Do you know if it is the KB3097617 update? I've been trying to get it to install and it just won't. Everytime I boot it will say it couldn't complete the update and it reverts changes. It will boot fine afterwards but just repeat the same process next time. I tried manually installing it with a setup file from MS and it didn't work either. Also tried the sfc /scannow before doing that and it found nothing. Anyone have any ideas? :(

Also my favorite part was when I tried to find the manual download from MS and it told me I needed to view the page in Explorer 6 or later. So I thought alright, that means I should load up Edge, the new official microsoft browser right?

You have to load the old IE they kept to actually view it since their new browser can't handle it :wtc:

Duo fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 24, 2015

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
currently trying the IE 11 - windows update catalog approach to downloading that same update. WIll tell you if it works

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Duo posted:

Also my favorite part was when I tried to find the manual download from MS and it told me I needed to view the page in Explorer 6 or later. So I thought alright, that means I should load up Edge, the new official microsoft browser right?

You have to load the old IE they kept to actually view it since their new browser can't handle it :wtc:

Why would this surprise you? They specifically told you to use IE and you're surprised that you have to use IE?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Duo posted:

It is because the site needs a plugin and they have not enabled Edge to use plugins yet

Duo
Aug 4, 2002
I mean yeah it makes sense now but I just figured that Edge, which comes by default on your taskbar and has the same looking icon as IE would be the thing I was expected to use at first. I tried it again later though and this time it gave me the warning to open IE instead so dunno what happened the first time.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

trip report, worked perfectly

hyperbowl
Mar 26, 2010
Really dumb question. My parents bought a new HP desktop with windows 10 preinstalled. I want to do a clean install, but don't have a product key. The microsoft website says it's probably embedded in the motherboard and I won't be asked to enter one during installation. Does that sound right?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Indeed it does sound right.

Use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool (will only work and may only download in Windows) to generate a current-patch-level install medium, or download the RTM ISO direct from Microsoft (will work from any OS but may only download from not-Windows without a product key).

For the MCT output or the ISO you want just "Windows 10" - it works with both Home and Pro - and always ALWAYS go 64-bit. And by always I mean a computer old enough or simple enough that it can't run 64-bit Windows 10 probably shouldn't be running any Windows newer than 7 - or maybe not running Windows at all. Microsoft probably shouldn't have released 32-bit Windows 10, but gently caress the future because we gotta build market share!

Twibbit posted:

It is because the site needs a plugin and they have not enabled Edge to use plugins yet

The entire purpose of Edge is to not expose a plugin API. Extensions are a different beast and they probably made an exclusive hook for Flash Player (that they probably shouldn't have, but gently caress the future because we gotta build market share!).

They'll have to come up with an HTML5 method for getting manual Windows Updates. Or they simply won't, and will bury it in enterprise land somewhere.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 25, 2015

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

hyperbowl posted:

Really dumb question. My parents bought a new HP desktop with windows 10 preinstalled. I want to do a clean install, but don't have a product key. The microsoft website says it's probably embedded in the motherboard and I won't be asked to enter one during installation. Does that sound right?

That's how they've been doing OEM product keys since Windows 8 so it should activate fine. If it doesn't, it's on HP to figure it out for you.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

hyperbowl posted:

Yeah, it's tied to the hardware. Windows will activate automatically.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
My search is now broken on Windows 10. Hitting the Start key and typing a program's name only brings up folders and files (under a "Best Match" heading) - it won't show any program results at all.

If I create a new user and log into it, search works as expected. I can type "calc" and Calculator will appear.

I don't see any options under Folder Options > Search that might lead to this, nor under the "Search Options" on the start bar, which just seems to apply to Cortana.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Ever since upgrading to windows 10 my computer cannot see a second hard drive. BIOS as well. I''m not sure where to go from that.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

If the bios can't see it either I don't think it has much to do with windows

Any way of trying it on a different machine?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Bacontotem posted:

Ever since upgrading to windows 10 my computer cannot see a second hard drive. BIOS as well. I''m not sure where to go from that.

It has nothing to do with 10

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Mortanis posted:

My search is now broken on Windows 10. Hitting the Start key and typing a program's name only brings up folders and files (under a "Best Match" heading) - it won't show any program results at all.

If I create a new user and log into it, search works as expected. I can type "calc" and Calculator will appear.

I don't see any options under Folder Options > Search that might lead to this, nor under the "Search Options" on the start bar, which just seems to apply to Cortana.

You might need to rebuild your index. Type index into the Start menu and hit Indexing Options, then Advanced, Rebuild.

Edit: Is there really no way to save a photo from the Mail app? I'm having to copy and paste it into Paint and then save it. Bullshit.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Oct 25, 2015

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Duo posted:

Do you know if it is the KB3097617 update? I've been trying to get it to install and it just won't. Everytime I boot it will say it couldn't complete the update and it reverts changes. It will boot fine afterwards but just repeat the same process next time. I tried manually installing it with a setup file from MS and it didn't work either. Also tried the sfc /scannow before doing that and it found nothing. Anyone have any ideas? :(

Yeah, it was. But it wasn't failing at reboot, it was failing before that...

I did get a previous update that failed at reboot, but I think that was before I did a System Restore thinking my dying GPU was a software issue.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Jan posted:

Yeah, it was. But it wasn't failing at reboot, it was failing before that...

I did get a previous update that failed at reboot, but I think that was before I did a System Restore thinking my dying GPU was a software issue.

I spent a couple months struggling with that exact same issue. I hate it when a hardware fault develops right at the same time as you do a major software update. Makes things very hard to diagnose.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice

WattsvilleBlues posted:

You might need to rebuild your index. Type index into the Start menu and hit Indexing Options, then Advanced, Rebuild.

Unfortunately, the problem remains after a rebuild of the index.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Mortanis posted:

Unfortunately, the problem remains after a rebuild of the index.

Have you tried the Indexing troubleshooter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Yes, but there's no option for "programs don't appear in search results" - just files and email. "Issue not present" is listed under the report for all items.