Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I think most of the charm of NZT Brian comes from the amazing asspulls for the plot that you can do with him but regular Brian is the emotional hook and the actual human side of the show which is a smart decision instead of turning it into the NZT hour.

That's not to say the NZT makes him a robot but basically it does make him consider things in a logical sense vs. Brian when off it processes the same things emotionally instead and the balancing of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Good news as the show has been given a full season order.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
How can Brian be mad at himself for Chris's death? If the dip poo poo would have stuck to the plan he'd be alive. This is no way Brians fault. The kid killed himself.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Holyshoot posted:

How can Brian be mad at himself for Chris's death? If the dip poo poo would have stuck to the plan he'd be alive. This is no way Brians fault. The kid killed himself.

Brian is mad that he wasn't smart enough to anticipate/plan for Chris' reaction. It's not reasonable, but I can totally see Super Smart Dude thinking that way.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Holyshoot posted:

He thinks that he sold Chris too much on the idea that his brother going to federal prison would be a benefit to him, so much so that Chris tried to talk his brother into giving up without a fight. "This will be good for both of us."

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
Ahhhh faceless people

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

"Mike Ikerson" is a pretty funny pseudonym.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Hmm, interested in seeing where the show goes from here if they mostly torpedoed the initial premise of Morra using Brian to spy in the FBI. Not like Bradley Cooper is gonna recur more often so not sure what to think of Brian possibly becoming a 'partner' to help change the world or whatever.

You are a nerd
Apr 9, 2003

See?
They presumably still are using him as a spy. Seeing Sands murder the researcher at the end implies that Morra's organization is the one responsible for keeping the lid on NZT, and is now doing so by tailing Brian and following up on his leads as he investigates NZT and its origins. In which case Morra's pep talk at the end could just be a misdirect. He had to figure Brian was eventually going to put his foot down and telling him he "passed the test" is a sensible plan B.

Unless Sands is a double agent for the real inventor of NZT or something, which you have to figure is going to be a plot line eventually if this show goes more than a few seasons.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, Sands blowing that guy up at the end of the episode kind of makes Morra's altruism look a little disingenuous. He probably realized the best way to get Brian's cooperation is to make him think he's doing the good thing.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Sure got fooled then :v:

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe
I wonder if Sands is on NZT. I don't think so, but you'd think he would have access to the pills and the shots.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

You are a nerd posted:

They presumably still are using him as a spy. Seeing Sands murder the researcher at the end implies that Morra's organization is the one responsible for keeping the lid on NZT, and is now doing so by tailing Brian and following up on his leads as he investigates NZT and its origins. In which case Morra's pep talk at the end could just be a misdirect. He had to figure Brian was eventually going to put his foot down and telling him he "passed the test" is a sensible plan B.

Unless Sands is a double agent for the real inventor of NZT or something, which you have to figure is going to be a plot line eventually if this show goes more than a few seasons.

Yeah, the show's actually willing to let the audience think for itself, for a change, and connect some dots on their own. Morra's pep talk is mostly there to get Bryan back on board as a guy willing to give them tips on all kinds of FBI stuff related to NZT, and like he said he needed to know his limits. The stuff about being a partner is probably a load of B.S., since he knows Bryan's moral compass won't abide what Morra does. If anything, Bryan failed the test by showing that he's not willing to get on board with even getting a friend fired, much less running around helping to kill people.

I see Morra as a guy who's found the ultimate cheat code of life improvement and is willing to do anything to make sure that only he (and those he selects) have access to it. Ultimately he does want to improve the world as President, but he's willing to use whatever extreme methods it takes to get there and to keep NZT under the radar and as regulated as he can. There will always be outliers and some loose pills, but as long as he's controlling the immunity that's a relatively minor problem.

NowonSA posted:

With a show like this I can't imagine we don't at some point see him having access to his own secret stash of pills somehow, but he's going to have to hide those suckers incredibly well.

Called it :smug:. I don't know about record stashes being incredibly well hidden though. I'm looking forward to seeing him having to consider if a problem or task is worth dipping into his secret stash though.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Pikehead posted:

I wonder if Sands is on NZT. I don't think so, but you'd think he would have access to the pills and the shots.

I don't think he is. He likes to think he's as smart or smarter than the NZT addicts.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The show's NZT is different from the movies in that the side effects hit much sooner from what I remember. Morra spends weeks on it before he has blackouts.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
The blackouts were from mixing NZT and alcohol, iirc. And was he taking a pill every day? I don't remember.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Accretionist posted:

The blackouts were from mixing NZT and alcohol, iirc. And was he taking a pill every day? I don't remember.

By that point he had actually been taking multiple pills at once. He says the side effects stop once he dials it back to one a day, begins eating right and stops drinking.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The computer stuff should never be used for tv.

OK smart guy we made smart with DRUGS!
We need you to read these numbers of the monitor and tell us if anything looks fishy because even though we have super spy phone number computer system we failed to create anything close to a log that can be read 10 times faster than you can because it is a computer.
Oh hey guys, we forgot to add the database, why did we make this program push everything out of the standard output?

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 1, 2015

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Bradly Cooper looked odd in the last episode, almost as if they digitally added him or something.

I bet Detective Dexter's sister finds the nzt record and takes one.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Bradly Cooper looked odd in the last episode, almost as if they digitally added him or something.

The light wasn't right to show off his dazzling blue peepers.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

A giant heap of greenscreening is done these days so it was probably easier than flying him out to the set for a day of shooting. You'd be surprised as to how many things are greenscreened.

Law and Order:

Ugly Betty:

]

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He been done kidnapped by the CIA! Also what's his name from Alphas!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Worlds dumbest soldiers make a plan

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tenzarin posted:

Worlds dumbest soldiers make a plan

Well, the guy said he couldn't make it in OCS.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I stand by my statement after how the episode is going.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Cooper looked fatter and older in this ep. Maybe a movie role?

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
That ending was worth the world's dumbest contractors.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Lady Galaga posted:

That ending was worth the world's dumbest contractors.

I can't believe how much of Ferris Bueller's Day Off was in that episode.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

We were all worried that this would be a stock standard procedural, but things are looking pretty promising.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That last episode was so much fun. This is my favorite new Fall show by a wide margin. Jake McDorman is fantastic.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I was on the fence, but am now 100% on board.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

spookygonk posted:

I can't believe how much of Ferris Bueller's Day Off was in that episode.

Was coming here to post this. The last episode was magical.

They even managed to find a white leather jacket with fringes for 'Sloan'! :neckbeard:

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

That last episode was so much fun. This is my favorite new Fall show by a wide margin. Jake McDorman is fantastic.

It's pretty drat good, and yea Jake was good in Greek as well even if that show was kinda dumb

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx
This show reminds me a lot of Psych, just without Gus.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

FetusSlapper posted:

This show reminds me a lot of Psych, just without Gus.

This is true, though I like Brian more than Shawn, and it's slightly less silly and has more of a plot that continues between episodes, which makes me enjoy this more so far.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Truly the greatest show. The Naz fighting game was amazing. :allears:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Plus I have micropenis.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The buzz for this show is tragically low. The last two episodes have been fantastic.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's doing fine, they got a full season pick up already which bodes well for a second season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
This show is surprisingly good. I liked the little touch with the "5 tries remaining", which implied that naturally, Brian would need all five tries to get it right... NOPE first try!

• Locked thread