Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I'm having a hard time figuring out if this is a new thing or old news. On the one hand, we know that Russia has asked before to know where the FSA is to avoid from bombing them but this sounds more like "try to help them." Some of the political aspects of this seem to be new but maybe it is just different translations? I mean, I am obviously skeptical of Russia but if there really is going to be some pressure on Assad to allow elections and come to the table then that could at least be a reason for optimism. I'm sure I'm just grasping at straws...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/10/24/us-mideast-crisis-syria-russia-idUSKCN0SI08820151024

Assad would overwhelmingly win an early election, in the same way he and his father have won every election since 1971.

It is meant to improve Assad's bargaining position, not designate a post-transition government. No Russian pressure is necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I'm having a hard time figuring out if this is a new thing or old news. On the one hand, we know that Russia has asked before to know where the FSA is to avoid from bombing them but this sounds more like "try to help them." Some of the political aspects of this seem to be new but maybe it is just different translations? I mean, I am obviously skeptical of Russia but if there really is going to be some pressure on Assad to allow elections and come to the table then that could at least be a reason for optimism. I'm sure I'm just grasping at straws...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/10/24/us-mideast-crisis-syria-russia-idUSKCN0SI08820151024

I posted this days ago. Their foreign minister said this almost at the immediate beginning of the bombing campaign. It's bullshit.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Lots of ongoing IDF activity over Quneitra this evening, as Step News reports that they've been engaging IS-linked Liwa Shahada Yarmouk.

https://youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=OIH2dGry4xg

The fact that there's been no reports of shells from Syria to Israel, and that no SAA sites have been hit, has led to some rumors about Israel having lost a service member.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
Any chance for an end to the civil war in Syria should be rejected unless it's 100% on coalition terms imo. It's obviously more important that we win than allowing a compromise where normal Syrian people get to live their lives in the next few decades.

Lockheed Martin, Boeing Rally Around Saudi Arabia, Wave Off Humanitarian Concerns

quote:

Ronald L. Perrilloux Jr., an executive with Lockheed Martin, complained of an atmosphere of “hostile media reports” shaping the views of Congress, most of which, he said, are “patently false.”

“Another significant irritant,” Perrilloux said, “is the application of human rights laws” toward U.S. allies in the Middle East, including Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and the United Arab Emirates. Perrilloux argued that these countries, despite being “better partners to us than some of our NATO allies,” were being unfairly judged compared to Chinese human rights abuses.
:laffo:

Mackers fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 24, 2015

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Mackers posted:

a compromise where normal Syrian people get to live their lives in the few decades.
:laffo:

Yes because Russia's offer to negotiate with the FSA in the middle of a heavy and sustained bombing campaign against them should be taken seriously even though Russia has continued to label them all as ISIS in its official press releases. Yes I'm sure the rebels will jump at the chance.

coma
Oct 21, 2010

Sergg posted:

Yes because Russia's offer to negotiate with the FSA in the middle of a heavy and sustained bombing campaign against them should be taken seriously even though Russia has continued to label them all as ISIS in its official press releases. Yes I'm sure the rebels will jump at the chance.

Russia will probably negotiate with the Kurdish-led SDF, it seems like the formation of the SDF was a face-saving measure because the FSA is proving to be more and more extremely Islamist and Sunni-chauvinist.

coma
Oct 21, 2010

I think the big question at this point is what's going to happen with Turkey because if my US-saves-face-with-SDF hypothesis proves to be correct they're going to be extremely not happy in any 5-country sponsored talks

coma
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/DrPartizan_/status/657982753619771392

Good god

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ISIS are honest to god cartoon villains.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Doesn't that actually sort of work though?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Would you actually light those fires upwind of fighting positions, though? Seems like it would make the city harder to defend, you can only spend so much time in a cloud of oily smoke. And if the smoke isn't covering fighting positions what's the point?

they've tried it before though: http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/middle-east/2014/10/12/ISIS-uses-smokescreens-to-mislead-Iraqi-warplanes-.html

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/RamiAlLolah/status/657984392040697856

quote:

HUGE! #BreakingNews LCC confirms my early news. #Israel|i civilian missing inside #ISIS-linked Liwa Shuhada Yarmouk territories in #Syria
#BreakingNews #Israel|i jets attacking targets in #Quneitra now.. #Syria

:captainpop:

(Unconfirmed)

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Dapper_Swindler posted:

They executed a Syrian army soldier by running him over with a tank today, so yeah.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

Lots of rumors swirling, top one (unconfirmed!) seems to be that a civilian glider strayed into Syria and crashed. Unconfirmed reports that the Israelis have also struck Tel Ahmar, which was retaken from the SRF by Hezbollah and the SAA last week. Liwa Shahada Yarmouk has also reportedly denied taking anyone hostage, so who knows yet what's actually going on.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Brown Moses posted:

They executed a Syrian army soldier by running him over with a tank today, so yeah.

That was pretty horrible yeah.

No update on the Hama offensive which means the regime was unable to do anything during the say to slow it. Should see if the rebels plan on launching another evening offensive soon.

I wanted to highlight something else quickly though. In both the assault on the towns last evening and today I've seen tanks being used in the salient to attack regime positions. This is an obvious and blatant failure of Russian airpower.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Mackers posted:

Any chance for an end to the civil war in Syria should be rejected unless it's 100% on coalition terms imo. It's obviously more important that we win than allowing a compromise where normal Syrian people get to live their lives in the next few decades.

The coalition isn't a side in the civil war fyi. The US doesn't have a role in the opposition that would allow it to influence whether the war ends or continues. The reality is any Russian deal for elections would just be to create the illusion of legitimacy for Assad, and it would never be agreed to by Russia unless they believed it would keep the regime in power. As long as the regime is in power, the war will continue. It's laughable that you're putting the onus on a few countries bombing ISIS on the side to give up the concessions that will end the civil war. This isn't that kind of proxy war.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I dug into this, Cumhuriyet published some of the transcripts:
http://www.cumhuriyet.com.tr/haber/turkiye/392257/islami_terore_koruma..._iste_o_tapeler.html
http://www.cumhuriyet.com.tr/haber/turkiye/393243/Savcidan__sarin__tarifi_.html

Few interesting things, first of all the claimed formula is as follows:

quote:

Methanol (CH3OH) + White Phosphorus (P4) = DMMP (dimethylmethylphosphonat A)

DMMP (dimethylmethylphosphonat) plus Thionyl Chloride (SOCl2) = in methylphosphonyldichlori

In methylphosphonyldichlori + Potassium fluoride (KF) = in methylphosphonyldifluori

In methylphosphonyldifluori + Isopropanol (C3H8O) = sarin (C4H10FO2P) + HF

HF (the hidrojenflor) In addition to removing and destroying the influence, the reaction -isopropanolamine (C3H9NO) is added.

Apart from missing details of each step of the process apparently the DMMP formula wouldn't work, and the Sarin used on August 21st had hexamine used to remove the HF, not isopropanolamine as shown above.

In one call they're talking about producing 50kg of material, although it's not clear exactly what they are talking about. The Sarin used on August 21st would have required 8-9 tonnes of material, producing roughly 800-1000kg of Sarin required to fill the munitions used. 50kg would have probably filled one of the Volcano rockets used.

It's also claimed the munitions used were made in Turkey, yet we know two munitions were used on August 21st, the Volcano rocket, which has been shown to be used in previous alleged attacks by the Syrian military, and the Soviet M14 140mm artillery rocket, which Human Rights Watch found records for.

Now this isn't to say they weren't trying to make Sarin, but it doesn't seem like it had anything to do with August 21st based on what has been published so far.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

Volkerball posted:

The coalition isn't a side in the civil war fyi. The US doesn't have a role in the opposition that would allow it to influence whether the war ends or continues. The reality is any Russian deal for elections would just be to create the illusion of legitimacy for Assad, and it would never be agreed to by Russia unless they believed it would keep the regime in power. As long as the regime is in power, the war will continue. It's laughable that you're putting the onus on a few countries bombing ISIS on the side to give up the concessions that will end the civil war. This isn't that kind of proxy war.

Yes, obviously Russia wants Assad or maybe another puppet to remain in power. The Saudis want theirs instead. Neither side gives a poo poo how repressive the government is to Syrians as long as it's in their pocket.

How people can see Saudi government activities in the their own country and the rest of the Middle East (Yemen in Particular right now) but still believe that their activities in Syria are to help the poor downtrodden Syrian people is beyond me. The US loses any credibility they might have left by working alongside them. Russia never had any to start with.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner

coma posted:

Russia will probably negotiate with the Kurdish-led SDF, it seems like the formation of the SDF was a face-saving measure because the FSA is proving to be more and more extremely Islamist and Sunni-chauvinist.

Like when they kidnapped two italian humanitarian workers and gave them to Al Qaeda? That's the secularism and democracy that people like Volkerball wish for Syria!

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
Apparently big Israeli air operation on the Syrian border.
https://twitter.com/Conflicts/status/657997785241882629

Rumor of a downed pilot even :supaburn:

e:there's a gag order in northern Israel right now.
Something happened/is happening

ass struggle fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 25, 2015

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Cippalippus posted:

Like when they kidnapped two italian humanitarian workers and gave them to Al Qaeda? That's the secularism and democracy that people like Volkerball wish for Syria!

They'll have to do a lot worse to beat out Assad, Nusrah and ISIS.

Sticking to bombing ISIS/Nusrah and supporting the least lovely opposition was a good move on Obamas part.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Anosmoman posted:

Sticking to bombing ISIS/Nusrah and supporting the least lovely opposition was a good move on Obamas part.

If you mean the Kurds and their local FSA allies, yes. It was also the only practical and logical thing he could do in Syria.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

sparatuvs posted:

Most detailed claim yet, still unconfirmed.

https://en.zamanalwsl.net/mobile/readNews.php?id=12108

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

sparatuvs posted:

Just when you were thinking "I don't see how Syria could get any more hosed up", Israel gets involved!

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

With Israel getting involved, I think that is the last of Syria's neighbours who haven't intervened militarily in Syria involved. Now all we're missing is the Chinese to take part in the Syrian clusterfuck!

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

That's an older picture from a US crash: http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=20718

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

Well gently caress me, that's what I get for not reverse image searching. And that doesn't look like Quneitra anyway, the hell.

Edit: but in much more cheery news, the Kurdish-led op to liberate Sinjar and sever Raqqa from Mosul began overnight. :rms:

MothraAttack fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 25, 2015

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

nothing to seehere posted:

With Israel getting involved, I think that is the last of Syria's neighbours who haven't intervened militarily in Syria involved. Now all we're missing is the Chinese to take part in the Syrian clusterfuck!

If you gave the Alawaites a choice of being part of Israel, part of Kurdistan, or in the Islamic State, what would they choose?

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
Can't substantiate.

But we'll apparently know by 9 AM Tel Aviv time.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

nothing to seehere posted:

Lebanon has kept it's hands off, probably because a fourth of their population is now Syrian refugees and they don't want any more.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
How is Lebanon coping with that enormous proportion of refugees?

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Young Freud posted:

If you gave the Alawaites a choice of being part of Israel, part of Kurdistan, or in the Islamic State, what would they choose?

I'd say Kurdistan, but then again most sane people on the planet would likely agree with that.

Provided it's a US-backed Kurdistan, of course

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

goose fleet posted:

How is Lebanon coping with that enormous proportion of refugees?

Well they've had a similar number of Palestinian refugees living in camps for a couple decades, so I'm sure there was and continues to be a strain on Lebanon, but it's not quite the shock to their society it would at first appear.

Also it should be remembered that Israel has already bombed Syria a couple of times when they felt Hezbollah might be getting weapon shipments from the Assad regime. So unless they put boots on the ground, Israeli military intervention isn't unprecedented in the conflict.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
So is that "1/4 their population is now Syrian refugees" counting or not counting Palestinian refugees? Because holy poo poo, if over half of the people living in your country are not actually members of your country, that's kind of turbo-hosed up.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
So I misremembered the numbers. There had been about 450,000 Palestinians, which had been about 10% of the population. The addition of 1.1 million to 1.3 million Syrian refugees bumps the total number of refugees up to 25% of the population, with about 4.5 million Lebanese citizens and 1.5 million or more refugees.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Mackers posted:

Yes, obviously Russia wants Assad or maybe another puppet to remain in power. The Saudis want theirs instead. Neither side gives a poo poo how repressive the government is to Syrians as long as it's in their pocket.

How people can see Saudi government activities in the their own country and the rest of the Middle East (Yemen in Particular right now) but still believe that their activities in Syria are to help the poor downtrodden Syrian people is beyond me. The US loses any credibility they might have left by working alongside them. Russia never had any to start with.

On what planet are the people in this thread defending the actions of the Saudi government?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Thump! posted:

I'd say Kurdistan, but then again most sane people on the planet would likely agree with that.

Provided it's a US-backed Kurdistan, of course

protip: "being Kurdistan" is code for "being ethnically cleansed by Turkey, Iran and the Arabs"

the whole US-backed Kurdistan idea is one of the funniest things to come out of this whole mess. surely you're cynical enough by now to see it's not going to, and never was going to happen?

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
http://www.jpost.com/Arab-Israeli-Conflict/Arab-Israeli-para-glided-into-Syria-to-join-rebel-group-429990

It was an Isreali paraglider

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Israeli-Arab :frogsiren: :hitler: :gifttank:

The comment section is just lovely.

Seems like something of an overreaction to send in all those helicopters and jets for one dude, unless he was James al-Bond escaping with all the state secrets of Israel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

On what planet are the people in this thread defending the actions of the Saudi government?

Every time someone claims that the FSA and the Syrian opposition is the Democratic and secular alternative to Assad? Or defending the choice to ignite the worst civil war in the century by arming rebels, because Assad is bad, while at the same time being allied to the Ksa?

• Locked thread