Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nouvelle Vague
Feb 16, 2011

Endut! Hoch Hech!

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

They did that episode

All I remember is the LA riots one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

They did? I have to listen to it ASAP.

He's lying.

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
In a theoretical future episode covering " Monster squad " , how long would it take the WHM crew to start discussing which monster they would rather gently caress ?
Personally, for me its a tie between Frankenstein's monster ( surely a gentle lover) and Wolfman ( cause we know he got the nards ) .

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

admataY posted:

In a theoretical future episode covering " Monster squad " , how long would it take the WHM crew to start discussing which monster they would rather gently caress ?
Personally, for me its a tie between Frankenstein's monster ( surely a gentle lover) and Wolfman ( cause we know he got the nards ) .

lmao if you wouldn't gently caress Dracula

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The mailbag continues to be a repository for the most :gonk: stories ever.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Juuupiiin...

Szyyyszkaaa...

Saaajdaaak...

Moooviieess...

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Chris doesn't deserve to be on the podcast because of his messed up opinion on Demon Knight. Billy Zane was never better.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Oh gently caress I'll finally understand this stupid rear end quote.

I keep hearing "Theeeener" and have njo idea where it's from

i also generally don't watch movies so i'll not know a lot of references :v:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Morter posted:

Oh gently caress I'll finally understand this stupid rear end quote.

I keep hearing "Theeeener" and have njo idea where it's from

i also generally don't watch movies so i'll not know a lot of references :v:

Why do you listen to a podcast that is all about movies but you don't watch movies? That's weird.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Jose Oquendo posted:

Why do you listen to a podcast that is all about movies but you don't watch movies? That's weird.

Cause they're funny dudes.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Because they're funny, and might actually inspire me to watch movies.

Hell, I listened to Opie and Anthony for so long that when I finally watched Fargo and King of Comedy, I laughed so hard at the references I recognized :kiddo:

Admittedly, I am weird.

Frustratingly, I can't find whoever the hell says "Theener"

Looking for a video clip of it. Can anyone help?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Morter posted:

Yeah, thanks to WHM I finally ended up watching Halloween 3 last night.

Man, that movie is dumb.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Morter posted:

Hell, I listened to Opie and Anthony for so long that when I finally watched Fargo and King of Comedy, I laughed so hard at the references I recognized :kiddo:

Admittedly, I am weird.

Just do it. Go through the WHM back catalog and check out the movies they discuss.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jose Oquendo posted:

Just do it. Go through the WHM back catalog and check out the movies they discuss.

You should start with Foodfight

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

You should start with Foodfight

Sadly, the 24-hour Livestream page got taken down a while back.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jose Oquendo posted:

the podcast isn't called We Like Movies

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

Sadly, the 24-hour Livestream page got taken down a while back.

People running it being charged with crimes against humanity?

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah, thanks to WHM I finally ended up watching Halloween 3 last night.

Man, that movie is dumb.

I found it to be structurally dumb with a lot of interesting other aspects. Like, the girl whose father is missing should have been the main character since she has the journey, and Tom Atkins should have, well, not even gone along on the trip and just been some drunk doctor. I loved the villain's plan though, and the saleswoman in the hotel getting her face lasered off was sweet. Plus that jingle!

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Halloween 3 is still the only Halloween movie I've ever seen all the way through and I still love the hell out of it. Around October, it was one of those things in constant rotation in various late night movies on TV.

Hell, I'd love to see a movie about a year AFTER the events of Halloween 3 where you maybe can assume you've lost a huge part of a generation children. Halloween has become seen as some sort of horrific national day of mourning where people are preparing for the first Halloween since the Shamrock Incident.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The thing I loved about Cochran's plan was that he's going to kill a lot of kids, sure, but not as many as you'd expect given the size of his operation.

The whole thing was supposed to happen at 9pm in California. That's midnight on the east coast; you ain't getting those kids! At most you're getting the west coast, maybe a chunk of Mountain time. And even then, you're only nailing the kids who're watching the commercial and wearing the masks. That's probably not a large subset, especially given he only has three types of masks.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be a major tragedy, just that Cochran could have planned things out a bit better.

Also how in the gently caress did he get a slab of Stonehenge halfway across the globe? I need more than a "wasn't easy!" on that, movie.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Hell, I'd love to see a movie about a year AFTER the events of Halloween 3 where you maybe can assume you've lost a huge part of a generation children. Halloween has become seen as some sort of horrific national day of mourning where people are preparing for the first Halloween since the Shamrock Incident.
I would legit watch that movie. You never see any horror sequels that deal with the real fallout of horror movies, apart from the previous Final Girl/Guy getting axed in the first ten minutes.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Morter posted:

It was really hard but I finally found a clip of it after some intense research
https://www.google.ch/#q=thinner&tbm=vid

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Illinois Smith posted:

It was really hard but I finally found a clip of it after some intense research
https://www.google.ch/#q=thinner&tbm=vid

Are you saying it's in the trailer? I didn't check the trailers--I was specifically looking for a scene.

Like when they mentioned one interesting scene in the blind samurai movie I was able to look it up.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

In Andrew's defense, I also thought all these years that it was a woman doing the THEENAIHR curse. I never saw the movie (just the trailers) but for some reason it was an old woman in my memory.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I don't watch a majority of the WHM movies but I always watch the trailer for movies I don't know. The Thinner trailer gave me more than enough background to enjoy the podcast.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Morter posted:

Are you saying it's in the trailer? I didn't check the trailers--I was specifically looking for a scene.

Like when they mentioned one interesting scene in the blind samurai movie I was able to look it up.

sorry i realize sitting through a whole trailer is super inconvenient for someone who doesn't watch movies but try this
https://www.google.ch/#tbm=vid&q=thinner+curse

the top result is only 46 seconds long, hope this helps

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 27, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

The thing I loved about Cochran's plan was that he's going to kill a lot of kids, sure, but not as many as you'd expect given the size of his operation.

The whole thing was supposed to happen at 9pm in California. That's midnight on the east coast; you ain't getting those kids! At most you're getting the west coast, maybe a chunk of Mountain time. And even then, you're only nailing the kids who're watching the commercial and wearing the masks. That's probably not a large subset, especially given he only has three types of masks.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be a major tragedy, just that Cochran could have planned things out a bit better.

Also how in the gently caress did he get a slab of Stonehenge halfway across the globe? I need more than a "wasn't easy!" on that, movie.

I would legit watch that movie. You never see any horror sequels that deal with the real fallout of horror movies, apart from the previous Final Girl/Guy getting axed in the first ten minutes.

You also was only aired on one channel so it would be a chunk of kids but not that many.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I don't think his plan was to kill all the children. Just enough to scare the poo poo out of the rest.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

No, it was multiple channels (the commercial gets cut off twice, and the kid changes the channel). But somehow Atkins was able to call all of television at once and talk to the owners of the different channels without having to hang up and redial.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MisterBibs posted:

I don't think his plan was to kill all the children. Just enough to scare the poo poo out of the rest.

His plan was to kill plenty of children.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I've never seen the movie but I read the book, and it does have all that super-uncomfortable racism and woman-hating but it does at least a token effort of showing that its because the main guy is a piece of poo poo and the author isn't endorsing it; one I remember in particular is when the cops are driving off the gypsy caravan and the daughter asks her dad why the cops can do that when they haven't done anything wrong and he has an "aw poo poo she's figuring out how terrible the world really is" moment.

The fat hate is something that is endemic to King's writing, and it's hilarious how much he hates fat people and how often his books will have a fat guy as an antagonist or the main character voicing their disgust at a fat person. It's even funnier since King himself used to be a fatass himself during his "drink a case of beer every day" phase and his self-hatred gets fully externalized in one of the later Dark Tower books when they meet junkie King and just fume at what a fat gross slob he is.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Sleeveless posted:

The fat hate is something that is endemic to King's writing, and it's hilarious how much he hates fat people and how often his books will have a fat guy as an antagonist or the main character voicing their disgust at a fat person. It's even funnier since King himself used to be a fatass himself during his "drink a case of beer every day" phase and his self-hatred gets fully externalized in one of the later Dark Tower books when they meet junkie King and just fume at what a fat gross slob he is.

Or have one of the heroes be fat as a kid and talk about how gross they are like he did in IT.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I feel like everyone who lives in NY/NJ has a Medieval Times story exactly like there's. Mine was even the Green Knight. Go Green Knight.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The sheer transparency is definitely the most interesting part of King's writing. Sure honey I'll take out the trash. My next book's about an author who wants to murder his wife by the way.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tender Bender posted:

Sure honey I'll take out the trash. My next book's about an author who wants to murder his wife by the way.

Oh, that wasn't me saying that; it was Bachman...

Clickety clack, clickety clack

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I am just vaguely confused at how people living in New England even come by anti-Romani ethnic hatred.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Once people got a taste of death and the eerie peace and introspection that followed it, they decided to have a yearly night of killing. It's a prequel to The Purge.

Evil Mastermind posted:

No, it was multiple channels (the commercial gets cut off twice, and the kid changes the channel). But somehow Atkins was able to call all of television at once and talk to the owners of the different channels without having to hang up and redial.

Was he maybe limited to just local channels, too. Anything outside that area is maybe still showing it.

I sort of like to imagine that after the events of the film there's some sick people who have VHS tape recordings of the commercial and clandestinely have a bunch of old masks hidden away as a known way to kill people. Mobsters, serial killers, gangs, etc. You get on their bad side, you find yourself with a mask on your head, tied to a chair, and facing a Silver Shamrock Commercial on a TV.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I randomly downloaded some flophouse episodes and boy is that guy with the nasally voice beyond loving terrible, as are his impossibly bad jokes

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

edit: Wrong thread so I'll just say I enjoyed this episode and I'm looking forward to bond week! Hoping for Live and Let Die.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

MinibarMatchman posted:

I randomly downloaded some flophouse episodes and boy is that guy with the nasally voice beyond loving terrible, as are his impossibly bad jokes
Would you believe he's an Emmy-winning former head writer of a fairly big-deal comedy show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

TetsuoTW posted:

Would you believe he's an Emmy-winning former head writer of a fairly big-deal comedy show?

yes because it's not like "emmy-winning comedy show" really denotes any kind of quality. guessing it was big bang theory.