Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Don't worry about spoilers if you haven't played the expansion, this is actually even funnier in context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is it just me or have loading times gotten longer in later versions? I'm on an SSD and never felt like I was staring at a loading screen too long before.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

Is it just me or have loading times gotten longer in later versions? I'm on an SSD and never felt like I was staring at a loading screen too long before.

I've noticed this is as well. I'm also running W3 from a SSD and prior to getting the expansion and coming back to the game this week I was getting load times of a few seconds, nothing really noticeable.

Now loads are like 10-20s, significant.

Edit: like it's not bad but it's definitely a lot longer than it used to be.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Palpek posted:

This is my current attire:

Pellisworth posted:

Don't worry about spoilers if you haven't played the expansion, this is actually even funnier in context.

I missed getting the ears :(

I am getting plenty of use out of those glasses, though.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah I'm getting loading times like 40-60 seconds now. Used to be 5-10.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I'm here for the contract. Yes, I'm wearing donkey ears.

I'm a Witcher of the rear end School :smuggo:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Someone mentioned earlier that the longer load times are caused if you hit continue at the title screen. If you manually load a save, it loads faster.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah weird. Going to load makes the load time like 10-20 seconds, while hitting continue or load last save seems to make it more like 50 seconds. Task manager shows the maximum disk usage for W3 loading a save at 20MB/s, but during those long loads there are extended periods where there's no disk usage to speak of. Manually loading the save has no idle disk time.

Loading after dying also involves a lot of idle disk time.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 24, 2015

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I had a wierd bug last night in my NG+ DM game. I was doing the Witcher's Forge quest in Kaer Morhen and I died to the level 60 Ifrit. When it reloaded the autosave at the start of the fight the Ifrit was now skull iconed and had ?? as it's level. It killed me in one swipe! I had to go back to an earlier save to get it to reappear at level 60 again.

On the hold parry (i.e. block) stuff everyone was talking about before, I found that there are a couple situations where it can be useful. I'll do it when I'm surrounded by a load of Harpies / Ekhidnas / Sirens while I wait for one to swoop just in case one swoops down at me from off camera but when I see one coming I'll let go and do an actual parry to stun them and get them on the ground to finish off.
I also discovered that you can block wolves so it can be a last resort tactic if they've surrounded you and you need a few seconds grace while you find a gap. Otherwise, yeah I agree that holding block isn't that great a way to play as getting surrounded is generally a death sentence and you need to be way more offensive than defensive.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Helith posted:

I had a wierd bug last night in my NG+ DM game. I was doing the Witcher's Forge quest in Kaer Morhen and I died to the level 60 Ifrit. When it reloaded the autosave at the start of the fight the Ifrit was now skull iconed and had ?? as it's level. It killed me in one swipe! I had to go back to an earlier save to get it to reappear at level 60 again.

On the hold parry (i.e. block) stuff everyone was talking about before, I found that there are a couple situations where it can be useful. I'll do it when I'm surrounded by a load of Harpies / Ekhidnas / Sirens while I wait for one to swoop just in case one swoops down at me from off camera but when I see one coming I'll let go and do an actual parry to stun them and get them on the ground to finish off.
I also discovered that you can block wolves so it can be a last resort tactic if they've surrounded you and you need a few seconds grace while you find a gap. Otherwise, yeah I agree that holding block isn't that great a way to play as getting surrounded is generally a death sentence and you need to be way more offensive than defensive.

What you should do is go for the parry but don't let go of the button, this way if you mis-time the parry you'll still be blocking the attack.

That's how I wound up winning fistfights against the lvl 30 Skellige fighters before I'd even finished the bloody baron quest.

Slugnoid fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Oct 24, 2015

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Those glasses make Geralt look like a guy in an New Wave Band.

Right now with gear I'm looking at the basic stats. I figure at this point in the game you're not going to find stuff that has a lower defense/damage but better bonus stats. A coat with 2% slashing DR is not worth losing 15 defense.

Man, its so satisfying at the end of combat watching Geralt chop some guys head or legs off.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
It's probably meant as a reference to the Professor from Witcher 1:

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
They specifically mention the Professor as the previous owner at the auction, iirc.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

420 Gank Mid posted:

In the novels most fights Geralt is a part of are hilariously one-sided so this holds up. Against regular humans Geralt drops 2-3 people before the rest have a chance to poo poo their pants.

Unless they're the Michelet brothers, in which case three of them nearly make him die from blood loss. Fights turn very rapidly in the books which is pretty realistic I think.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

Unless they're the Michelet brothers, in which case three of them nearly make him die from blood loss. Fights turn very rapidly in the books which is pretty realistic I think.

Or if the fight happens after Thanedd.
"Geralt flung himself at the enemy but oh whoops he forgot about his bad leg for the fifth time in this book and crumpled to the floor."

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Everything after Thanedd is basically making GBS threads on Geralt, Yen, and Ciri for three books.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I should not have laughed at this

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

To me it's more like:

It helps that some of their face features are similar.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah surprisingly Geralt can make those spectacles work.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
I'm trying to hotkey some items from friendlyhud mod but every time I reload the witcher it overwrites my input.settings file. I just copy paste it from an old copy, and I can see the changes in there, I load into a quicksve and then check the folder and the date & time of my reloaded save is now the input.settings file.

Any idea why I can't get it to use a custom copy and it keeps overwriting it with default settings? I mean I will just set it to read only to fix it, I just don't know why it is doing this since it is dumb. Im using 1.11 with heart of stone.

Meowbot fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 24, 2015

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I just turned level 17 and am not sure what I'm doing with my character skills and equipping of them. Example: I have 5 muscle memory, equipped, but just put two points into precise blows. Do I need to equip precise blows to get that bonus? If I equip precise blows in place of muscle memory, do I still get the muscle memory bonus?

Same question for battle trance, quen... feels wasteful to multiply-equip skills in the same tree, although I know it's required when you want to activate an alternate sign cast.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

pmchem posted:

I just turned level 17 and am not sure what I'm doing with my character skills and equipping of them. Example: I have 5 muscle memory, equipped, but just put two points into precise blows. Do I need to equip precise blows to get that bonus? If I equip precise blows in place of muscle memory, do I still get the muscle memory bonus?

Same question for battle trance, quen... feels wasteful to multiply-equip skills in the same tree, although I know it's required when you want to activate an alternate sign cast.

Not sure what you mean here, but you have always have to slot (equip) an ability to get the effect. Spending points on it to unlock isn't enough.

By the end of the game and all through NG+ you will be asking yourself what I should be equipping, because you'll have way more points to buy skills than you have slots to equip them.

Edit: the leveling, experience, and talent system is a weakness of the game imo, it's not great. Thankfully you don't need to worry much about spec and gear, don't spend a lot of time trying to min-max.

Oh I think I see what you're asking. Each "tier" of bonuses doesn't replace the one before, so you need to equip each ability separately. There's no harm in using multiple abilities that modify one attack or Sign, do whatever.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 24, 2015

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

FauxGateau posted:

The Professor made them work too honestly.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Buying the spectacles was my second-best moment of the DLC, behind everything that happened at the wedding.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

Oh I think I see what you're asking. Each "tier" of bonuses doesn't replace the one before, so you need to equip each ability separately. There's no harm in using multiple abilities that modify one attack or Sign, do whatever.

yeah, that. thanks -- time to stack a few things

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

FauxGateau posted:

Surprising that Geralt smiles.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

pmchem posted:

yeah, that. thanks -- time to stack a few things

Yeah don't worry there are no bad builds. You have enough points to stack bonuses on signs, vitality, heavy and light attacks. .. I know that's how my 4 blocks are set up. I guess the only way to mess up would be to have no bonuses to anything that does damage, and then never use alchemy.

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
game keeps crashing in the courtyard fight in the prison breakout mission on ps4 :/ think it happens when when i use a lot of signs back to back.. but i gotta do it, my geralt's a sign man

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Arglebargle III posted:

Surprising that Geralt smiles.

He does it a few times in the game and it always looks weird. That face was not built for smiling.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Geralt_smiles.gif

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Expansion talk: I'm really frustrated with the Wraith fight. It's straightforward, Yrden and whack her then attack the paintings to stop her healing.

What's pissing me off is I'm unable to target the paintings, I can kill them with a sword hit, Igni, or a grapeshot but only the third one is predictable. It's a complete gamble whether Geralt decides to face the Wraith or aim at the painting, and grapeshot doesn't always work as she's up in my face.

She's not even hard, doesn't damage me much and I'm able to avoid her chain attacks. It's just really tedious and I'll get her almost dead but then be unable to stop her healing because I can't point Geralt at the painting and welp back to 100% health.

Am I missing something or is this basically a fight against the control/targeting system?

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Sharmat posted:

He does it a few times in the game and it always looks weird. That face was not built for smiling.

That's actually pretty true to the books to be honest. They always describe Geralt's smile as hideous or unsettling.

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
never will i get all the gwents

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Are any of the Gwent cards in HoS worth it? I think I missed a couple, including the fabled Cow card.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Pellisworth posted:

Expansion talk: I'm really frustrated with the Wraith fight. It's straightforward, Yrden and whack her then attack the paintings to stop her healing.

What's pissing me off is I'm unable to target the paintings, I can kill them with a sword hit, Igni, or a grapeshot but only the third one is predictable. It's a complete gamble whether Geralt decides to face the Wraith or aim at the painting, and grapeshot doesn't always work as she's up in my face.

She's not even hard, doesn't damage me much and I'm able to avoid her chain attacks. It's just really tedious and I'll get her almost dead but then be unable to stop her healing because I can't point Geralt at the painting and welp back to 100% health.

Am I missing something or is this basically a fight against the control/targeting system?

I just ran over and hit them. I never use the targeting though, so...

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

has anyone modded in dualshock 4 button prompts for the pc version yet? i'm really surprised they patched in support for it and it even changes the controller light color but they didn't include the prompts.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

robot roll call posted:

I just ran over and hit them. I never use the targeting though, so...

I don't use the targeting either, there's just no way to reliably point Geralt and attack/Igni.

gently caress this, it feels like a gear/spec check. I can't damage her down enough between interrupting healings to make good progress.

As much as I've enjoyed the expansion, the boss fights feel really sack-of-HP and tedious. There's a fine line between "lengthy and challenging" and "tedious," with the big fights here tending toward the latter.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Just beat W3 and HOS and its the best.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
I've just been working on my fast attack & strong attack (hell I just used how to use whirl today despite having 5 points into it) and am curious what Sign tree I should be focusing on since it seems that there is really no way to branch off and get all of the skills in this game. It seems kidn of c razy how many there are really unless I'm missing something and at some point you start racking up skill points like crazy (im level 18).

I really enjoy igni, it is my bread and butter - but it is my weakest skills. If I knock down a human with Aard I can instantly kill them with a downed attack, which owns. Quen is almost always up no matter what. I never ever use Axii unless it is a shield person I can not get and I want to get behind them. Yrden is pretty much only used with non corporeal creatures. Based on this, are the upgrades to Igni worthwhile or should I stick with leveling up my melee stuff and only that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Keep in mind that skills in a tree don't require the previous one being unlocked. You don't have to actually move down the branches of the skill tree from top to bottom; i.e. if you've unlocked the second tier, you can put points into anything in the second tier even if you don't have that skill's first tier.

Also, pretty much just stick with what you want to use. Your level matters way, way more than your skill allocations. Basically everything and anything is viable, even niche poo poo like bombs-only or focus on crossbows.