Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Cloks posted:

If you work in a lovely bureaucratic office, you'll never be able to stop thinking about Brazil. This has been my experience with it.
Unfortunately it looks like that's the only one on my list not available to stream on Hulu. :(

I'm planning to stream The Seventh Seal tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

i want gilda, bitter rice, and lady snowblood but i'm withholding my money from criterion until they put out a brighter summer day and until the end of the world

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Xenomrph posted:

Unfortunately it looks like that's the only one on my list not available to stream on Hulu. :(

Blind buy Brazil anyway.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Slate Action posted:

Inside Llewyn Davis

Finally. Been waiting on that one.

Pretty stoked about Lady Snowblood, too.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Not a huge fan of the second Lady Snowblood, and I've already got the Animeigo release of the first... but still tempted to upgrade.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

cthulusnewzulubbq posted:

Blind buy Brazil anyway.

I did this back when it was the three dvd set for like seventy bucks. Totally worth it.

Only movie I ever watched the commentary for.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Finally some Coens in the Collection.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Cemetry Gator posted:

I did this back when it was the three dvd set for like seventy bucks. Totally worth it.

Only movie I ever watched the commentary for.
Audio commentaries own, you should listen to more of them.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

there's a lot of stuff that criterion purchases which they later lose the rights to, and then don't reacquire like pierrot le fou or chungking express, or that they have split licenses with another distribution company like most of the wes anderson movies and some of the ifc stuff like life during wartime. as a result hulu can't stream them. they still have like 400+ criterions on there. its probably more economically viable if you don't really care too much about supplemental materials (which i guess is fine but that's like half of why the brand exists) since a yearly hulu plus subscription is the cost of like 7 single disc criterions

also 3/5 movies you named are like widely regarded as being among the best of the 20th century so uhh yeah even if you don't like them i'd say they're worth giving a shot? lol

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
drat, The Thin Red Line was good. I had seen it when it first came out but I think I was just too young to properly appreciate it. Shoots up to being one of my favorite Criterions for sure.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Found a sealed copy of The Red Shoes on DVD at a thrift store for a buck. I've seen Colonel Blimp, Black Narcissus and Hoffman so I'm really looking forward to watching it.

Found Chasing Amy as well, but that's a lot less exciting.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
In a strange turn of events, I ended up with an extra Zatoichi complete set. It's still in shrinkwrap, but has two small indentations in the box courtesy of USPS. Anyone interested? Shipped from US, 77059.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Cloks posted:

Found a sealed copy of The Red Shoes on DVD at a thrift store for a buck. I've seen Colonel Blimp, Black Narcissus and Hoffman so I'm really looking forward to watching it.

powell & pressburger own. jack cardiff is probably the best cinematographer ever

i really want a criterion of a matter of life and death......

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Brief Encounter was really something. Are the other features on the "David Lean directs Noel Coward" worth the purchase price of the set?

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Lots of Criterion horror films on sale at Amazon right now - http://amzn.to/1NqEmNw

including:
Videodrome
Scanners
Don't Look Now
Rosemary's Baby
Repulsion
House
The Uninvited
Cronos
The Devil's Backbone (spine 666!)

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Big Mean Jerk posted:

In a strange turn of events, I ended up with an extra Zatoichi complete set. It's still in shrinkwrap, but has two small indentations in the box courtesy of USPS. Anyone interested? Shipped from US, 77059.

How much you want for it? Interested in trading for some other movies? I posted a list of stuff I'd part with if you look through my posts in this thread a little bit.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Dr.Caligari posted:

Brief Encounter was really something. Are the other features on the "David Lean directs Noel Coward" worth the purchase price of the set?

I've only see Blithe Spirit, which is a fun one. Margaret Rutherford rules, and absolutely steals the show.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

codyclarke posted:

I've only see Blithe Spirit, which is a fun one. Margaret Rutherford rules, and absolutely steals the show.

If you like 'realistic' romance at all (not the over the top stuff that borders on fantasy), you would enjoy Brief Encounter. I will check out Blithe Spirit and if it's even 75% as good I will bite

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Dr.Caligari posted:

If you like 'realistic' romance at all (not the over the top stuff that borders on fantasy), you would enjoy Brief Encounter. I will check out Blithe Spirit and if it's even 75% as good I will bite

Oops, I meant I've only seen Blithe Spirit besides Brief Encounter! Brief Encounter rules, definitely one of my top favorite Criterion films I've ever seen.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Thinking of going for a smaller set next time, maybe that Brakhage collection? How's the Blu release on that?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Brakhage is cool if you like Brakhage - what sets do you have already?

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Watching Brakhage in HD is awesome, if there's any filmmaker's work that really, really isn't done justice by a DVD it's his. Although I always wish I was seeing them projected as opposed to on a monitor.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

the transfers on the brakhage set are fine enough. its worth owning if you don't have access to anywhere you can see them projected. same with the frampton set.

i would like to see jonas mekas or michael snow or ken jacobs criterion sets some day....

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Brakhage is cool if you like Brakhage - what sets do you have already?

I picked up the BBS set over the summer because I heard it was going out of print, but that's the only set I have unless you want to count the Vernon, Fl/Gates of Heaven disc.

Might also grab the Yojimbo/Sanjuro box, but I've still not sat down and watched Seven Samurai yet and I feel like I might be better suited to grabbing a breadth of styles rather than focusing on one director or country even.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I'd also recommend the Cassavetes set if you're at all into the 70s American indie movement.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Stan Taylor posted:

I picked up the BBS set over the summer because I heard it was going out of print, but that's the only set I have unless you want to count the Vernon, Fl/Gates of Heaven disc.

Might also grab the Yojimbo/Sanjuro box, but I've still not sat down and watched Seven Samurai yet and I feel like I might be better suited to grabbing a breadth of styles rather than focusing on one director or country even.

Watch Seven Samurai aaaaaa

Edit- Yojimbo/Sanjuro is a great great set. I love Kurosawa to the ends of Earth, but keeping an open style is definitely an amazing way to get trough the Criterion Collection. Just about every one of my Criterion purchases are blind buys, and I wanted to keep an open style as well, and it hasn't pushed me in a bad direction (besides my wallet).

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 25, 2015

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Stan Taylor posted:

besides the bbs set most of them are narrow. the essential art house sets are nice if you want a breadth of styles. they're bare bones and dvd only though if that's a dealbreaker. i guess all but 2 and 5 are oop now but those are the best ones anyway.

some of the sets that i will unconditionally recommend are cassavetes, tati, von sternberg, dreyer, vigo, truffaut's antoine doinel cycle, and probably the apu trilogy (based solely on the movies and not the supplements naturally). any other set i would recommend would probably require a caveat of some sort

also the eclipse sets tend to be hyper narrow in focus but contain some of the best stuff criterion has done imo. if you're at all interested in japanese cinema it probably behooves you to buy some because that's where a lot of it gets relegated. the ones here that i can unconditionally recommend are all the ozus, both kurosawas, mizoguchi, nikkatsu noir, and when horror came to shochiku. my favorites are the oshima and naruse sets but they're not really for all tastes. other eclipse sets of note i'd say are early fuller, pearls of the czech new wave, akerman in the seventies, early fassbinder, and late ray. the akerman and fassbinder sets are the only ones i'd really put a caveat on.

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 26, 2015

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I will 100% stand behind the Allan King eclipse set.

FalsePriest
Oct 20, 2010

"hi im pyle shittenhouse" *plop* *plop* *plop* "oops i have shit in your house lol"
Literally can't believe I'm holding Mulholland Dr. in my hands right now. All the reviews so far (which doesn't seem to be too many for such a "high profile" Criterion release) have been really glowing, especially for the sound scape of the movie.

FalsePriest fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 28, 2015

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

i saw it theatrically two weeks ago and it really begs to be seen theatrically specifically because of the sound design. it's cool that it finally has a criterion now though and maybe they can get on acquiring the rights to lost highway.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
The new Mulholland Drive BR kind of looks like rear end IMO? Check out any screencap at DVDBeaver, that's not grain it's compression. It's 30GB on the disc, shouldn't it look better than that?

e: it looks more like grain in motion but I really think it's not, and that similar looking films at similar bitrate don't look like that.

The Time Dissolver fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Oct 28, 2015

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

The Time Dissolver posted:

The new Mulholland Drive BR kind of looks like rear end IMO? Check out any screencap at DVDBeaver, that's not grain it's compression. It's 30GB on the disc, shouldn't it look better than that?

e: it looks more like grain in motion but I really think it's not, and that similar looking films at similar bitrate don't look like that.

It's hard to compare various films because there's a ton of things that can impact the look of a film. Depending on how the film was shot and what it was shot with, you can have films that are grainier than others. It just looks like a film with a lot of grain, since I don't see anything that looks like compression. It's just a lot grainier than you might have thought. If you look at the images, there's a ton of small details. The other release also has some DNR going on, which clears up the grain, but you also lose those small details.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

The Time Dissolver posted:

I don't think so based on those pictures (although I haven't watched my copy yet so I don't know for sure). I saw it when it originally played in theatres and even then I remember noticing how it looked somewhat grainier than usual. Don't know if it was the equipment used (a lot of it was originally shot under the assumption it would be a TV show, after all) or an artistic decision, which is possible considering the subject matter.

Also, I feel like the era of both digital cameras and even better technology to digitize current movies shot on film make us forget just how much film grain is in stuff, especially since the huge expense of film stock meant a lot of independent films went as cheap as possible. Anytime I watch a movie from the late 90s or early 2000s, I'm always immediately taken aback by how much film grain is present.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 29, 2015

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Only Angels Have Wings ?

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Angels with Dirty Faces?

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

I should know this by now, but traditionally when is the next B&N or flash sale?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Dr.Caligari posted:

I should know this by now, but traditionally when is the next B&N or flash sale?

The next B&N sale runs from November 10th - 30th, with possible extensions.

The next flash sale should be in February.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Slate Action posted:

Only Angels Have Wings ?

My first guess was The Exterminating Angel but I doubt that's right.

Maybe they're getting into video game publishing and are gonna re-release Chubby Cherub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

there is already an exterminating angel criterion and they dont drop hints for bd upgrades