Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Decrepus posted:

You are Star Citizen irl.

Someone give me 93 million dollars to get a jpeg of my slim self in 2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Hammerstein posted:

But knowing both sides of the medal I realize how easy it is to settle into such a lifestyle and replacing being fit and good looking with the convenience of pizza and being an online hero in a virtual world. I don't think Ben can come back from where he is.
Chris Roberts both saved and doomed him.

Tragic.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I like video games.

Does anybody else like video games?

Why is Derek Smart so melodramatic over video games?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Why are so many people so melodramatic about this video game?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Kimsemus posted:

Maybe you don't understand that at the time goons were basically calling out his mod team (and Ben for not doing anything) legitimately for basically allowing discrimination to run rampant on the RSI forums. Like literally racists posting racist poo poo on the forums and :lesnick: going, "Well these guys are true SC gamers too".

Don't even try to defend that inept fat gently caress. The toxicity on the RSI forums is in part because of :lesnick: not despite him. Don't believe me? Look at how poorly he handles every community gaff and controversial subject, you know, ever.

Ben basically treated the RSI forums the same way he treated his own personal insular hugbox, and like most of CIG's failures he was unprepared for the dramatic increase in size. His inability to handle controversy is well established and is only outdone by his community manager's ability to create it.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Renegret posted:

Sunk cost fallacy.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Renegret posted:

I like video games.

Does anybody else like video games?

Why is Derek Smart so melodramatic over video games?

I myself like video games as well. I am espceially fond of the XBOX ONE HYPER CUBE MEGA EXTREME ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM BY MICROSOFT CORPORATION (TM) NASDAQ :MSFT

except for the touch button on the front.. my stupid dogge put her rear end up against it and shuts it off mid game causing much consternation.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Renegret posted:

Because SC is not a game. It's a phenomena perpetuated by a series of hilarious events fueled by the most insane and fanatical community in gaming.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Because SC is not a game. It's a phenomena perpetuated by a series of hilarious events fueled by the most insane and fanatical community in gaming.

are you forging a new OP beer?

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

thatguy posted:

Chris Roberts both saved and doomed him.

Tragic.

It is. Because even at my lowest point I wasn't anywhere close to Lesnick's physical condition, but I guess in my case the comeback is very easy since I was in shape before. And I feel genuinely sorry for him, cause I believe he seriously thinks "I will always have Star Citizen", at least until he reaches the point where the fire department has to knock down a wall to his apartment so the paramedics can get him out and to hospital.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Oct 25, 2015

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Rebel Galaxy is a fun video game.

Everyone should go play that.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Look at the bright side.

The game existing in this state has eliminated common video game problems that typically arise, such has poor balance, hackers, and being boring.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Because you have to exist in order to be boring.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

thatguy posted:

Actually, have any moderators been fired or demoted for being totally poo poo at moderating?

Jim Barris posted:

What's unprofessional about that post? You guys are intentionally antagonizing them and he's calling you on it. Doesn't really read like a meltdown. I mean these people are a joke, yeah, but i feel like you're grasping at straws here.

Hello, friends. I see you are discussing stupid RSI drama and poo poo, that in no way matters but is still quite silly. I made a post summarizing pretty much most of the key notes of it during the past years over here that should explain the context and most of the crap that went on a bit clearer. TIA.

TL;DR - yes, I believe Slavik was actually let go, rather quietly, after SFD's cultural VICTORY over him, though again who knows if he didn't 'step down' or poo poo like that. Plus another moderator (Sophine, if you remember her as being the one who made one of the first posts in Ask A Goon as: "Let's try to keep the denigration of non-goons down to a minimum, shall we?", that I now recall banned a big whale for promoting his grey market poo poo on RSI channels, who then complained to coincierge and Sandi actually listened to him and let that moderator go lol.

And I dunno...is it unprofessional to ban a person for merely starting a thread, and almost never posting in it, because you believe in goonspiracy theories while letting racists/homophobes/sexists run roughshod erryday?

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Oct 25, 2015

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I think that many people who harshly judge goons do not understand is that Games is a single subfoum on the Something Awful website and one that only a few people go to after they register for the coupon subforum.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Guys, it's the weekend. Even the smart man gotta take days off from warlordin'.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

CrazyLoon posted:

Hello, friends. I see you are discussing stupid RSI drama and poo poo, that in no way matters but is still quite silly. I made a post summarizing pretty much most of the key notes of it during the past years over here that should explain the context and most of the crap that went on a bit clearer. TIA.

TL;DR - yes, I believe Slavik was actually let go, rather quietly, after SFD's cultural VICTORY over him. And I dunno...is it unprofessional to ban a person for merely starting a thread, and almost never posting in it, because you believe in goonspiracy theories while letting racists/homophobes/sexists run roughshod erryday?
gently caress me I didn't realize there was a saga of interaction between this forum and theirs. So goons have been going over there calling them on their poo poo for two loving years? lol

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Decrepus posted:

I think that many people who harshly judge goons do not understand is that Games is a single subfoum on the Something Awful website and one that only a few people go to after they register for the coupon subforum.

The Eve boogyman always amuses me since the vast majority of goons have never played Eve and are only casually aware of what the Eve goons have done in the past. Most goons probably don't know who Derek Smart is and don't know anything about SC past "idiots buying expensive spaceships" either.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Jim Barris posted:

What's unprofessional about that post? You guys are intentionally antagonizing them and he's calling you on it. Doesn't really read like a meltdown. I mean these people are a joke, yeah, but i feel like you're grasping at straws here.

He was sure about something that wasn't actually correct. He mistook a bunch of idiots being excited for the game and trying to use their experience as gamers to help, admittedly "help" in a socially awkward, disjointed and at times contradictory manner, as evidence of a master plan to cause trouble and he was going to stamp it out.

Years later CptUnderpants is still trying to help, it's kinda sad now how excited everyone was back then when we actually thought they were working on a game and not a money making marketing campaign.

He's also set the tone of the forums by expelling those with the most critical feedback, if they didn't get banned they are in no doubt they aren't welcome. At this point not sure it matters but that makes creating a good game harder as the idiots left on RSI will thank them for absolutely anything.

Example :lesnick: "anyone referring to it as a spacebus is a troll", it's a flying bus in space what else would you call it? I actually tried to look up something for that ship sale the other day and had forgotten it's name entirely, I found it and have since totally forgotten it again. If you've the community manager for a pc game, which for all his fancy title of "ship director" he is considering he's the public face that actually knows about the game and isn't attending casting calls, then you've hosed if you have a thin skin and zero sense of humour.

:lesnick: humour is saying exactly the thing that would lead other game community managers to think he's unprofessional and putting a smiley face after it, that's only funny if you could see it wasn't his normal behaviour. He's got a massive chip on his shoulder about people being critical to an extent that no hard questions are answered anywhere anymore and CIG get cheered when they promise not to give release dates.

He deserves everything that's going to happen, I still feel bad for his wife though.

AP fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Oct 25, 2015

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

The Marauder posted:

What the gently caress is happening

http://i.imgur.com/IVDGKuv.jpg

Somebody fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 26, 2015

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Jim Barris posted:

gently caress me I didn't realize there was a saga of interaction between this forum and theirs. So goons have been going over there calling them on their poo poo for two loving years? lol

As someone who has been a non-goon without an account here since summer this year, I can safely say that myself, a few others + goons have been pointing all this poo poo out to them since 2 years back and they have learned or addressed nada while blowing smoke up people's assess.

The truth is, they're just interested in the money while :lesnick: impotently pretends that he can be the same kind of horrible community leader he was with his lovely Wing Commander cult. (This is also not quite true, see my latest addition that I just remembered about how Sandi went right over his head and fired one of his moderators, all to preserve a whale's grey market feelings).

Oh right, I forgot. Reddit, Archive THIS!

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 25, 2015

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
Forgive me if I missed it, but what happened to all the goons who spent a third of a million dollars on these jpgs? Are they still chugging along at an offsite forum? Have they all gotten refunds? A little of both? We had one or two who were five figures deep (not including Bootcha's investment) in this, right?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Forgive me if I missed it, but what happened to all the goons who spent a third of a million dollars on these jpgs? Are they still chugging along at an offsite forum? Have they all gotten refunds? A little of both? We had one or two who were five figures deep (not including Bootcha's investment) in this, right?

Those who have talked about it have mostly gotten refunds or sold off on the gray market. For example I still have a few ships left that haven't sold but am back in the black.

SneakyFrog posted:

are you forging a new OP beer?

gently caress it, sure. What should be in there.

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

quote:

Wait, T-Rex claims to be a goon? He doesn't strike me as the type that would last long here before having a meltdown.

I believe I found an account he had here called "Bandit LOAF". Im not sure if the name was changed or it was deleted somehow. Maybe someone can confirm if it still exists under this name.

Amun Khonsu fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 25, 2015

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

gently caress it, sure. What should be in there.

Gonads

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

pftc posted:

If someone made a Dick Wulf Encyclopedia Dramatica article, what would be necessities to include in it?

Start here: http://goo.gl/CnAaO1

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Derek just posted dolvaks real name on Twitter and is talking some smack. I'm glad he got him.

chaosbreather fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 25, 2015

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

You might want to add :nws: tag there
also is that real or photoshopped i cant tell. But if its real then im gonna do the :vince:

Derek do the opening post for the next thread

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

thatguy posted:

Someone find the quote where he calls the "North Korean schtick dumb" or whatever he said. That was pretty funny.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

chaosbreather posted:

Derek just posted dolvaks real name on Twitter and is talking some smack. I'm glad he got him.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You have meddled with the primal forces of spergdom mr Beer, and I-WON'T-HAVE-IT!

Is that clear? You think you've merely stopped a business deal. That is not the case! The Swedish mob have taken billions of dollars out of this country, and now they must put it back! It is ebb and flow, tidal gravity! It is ecological balance!

You are an old man who thinks in terms of players and consumers. There are no players. There are no consumers. There are no backers. There are no subscribers. There are no development phases. There is no game. There is only one holistic system of systems, one vast and immane, interwoven, interacting, multivariate, multinational dominion of dollars.

LTI-dollars, RMT-dollars, AMD-dollars, subscriptions, skins, microtrans, merch, and referrals. It is the international system of whale currency which determines the totality of life on this planet.

That is the natural order of things today. That is the atomic and subatomic and galactic structure of things today! And YOU have meddled with the primal forces of spergdom. and YOU... WILL... ATONE!

Am I getting through to you, Mr. Beer?

You get up on your little twenty-one inch screen and howl about feature creep and inept management. There are no features. There is no management. There is only CIG, and RSI, and Twin Bros, and foundry42, Gizmondo, gemini42, and Ascedant. Those are the nations of the world today.

What do you think the space whales talk about in their councils of state, the fun of gaming? They get out their linear programming charts, statistical decision theories, minimax solutions, and compute the price-cost probabilities of their transactions and investments, just like we do. We no longer live in a world of nations and ideologies, Mr. Beer.

The world is a college of space whales, inexorably determined by the immutable bylaws of spergdom. The world is a spergdom, Mr. Beer. It has been since man crawled out of the slime.

And our children will live, Mr. Beer, to see that... perfect world... in which there's no game or project, oppression or brutality. One vast and ecumenical Swedish holding company, for whom all whales will work to serve a common profit, in which all whales will hold a share of jpegs. All necessities provided, all anxieties tranquilized, all boredom amused.

And I have chosen you, Mr. Beer, to preach this evangel.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 25, 2015

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

PM this man the suicide prevention line number, quick!

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

quote:

submitted 3 minutes ago by Dolvak

Hey everyone, I pissed skippy off quite a bit and now he is vaguely threatening me. He has found my real name and know vaguely where I live. https://archive.is/Q4ZGl
Now there are a few things in this string of tweets I would like to address. Firstly the military thing. I flat out have NO idea what he is talking about due to him not providing a source. It could be one of two things.
One: He thinks the navy seal what the gently caress did you just say about me copy pasta is proof of me saying I am in the military.
Two: I have a friend who quite a while back was posting on my account when we pretty much lived together. He activity serves and I know posted to /r/army at least once or twice.
In conclusion I am not afraid of you derek. Thanks for tweeting at an account you blocked months ago. Glad to see an open dialogue. Your vague legal threats will not stop me and I have not done and will not do anything to break any law. I will show people what you have done and it will tear you apart. I highly suggest you don't sue me due to your current financial situation.
I am not afraid of you.
-Trevor Noblitt
P.S. Someone tweet this at derek

Source

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

Build that spaceship.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Was 1200 $ in this and sold mine to another goon at market price in 2013. Nowadays I only have a Reliant which costed me so little that I don't care about demanding a refund.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Ben basically treated the RSI forums the same way he treated his own personal insular hugbox, and like most of CIG's failures he was unprepared for the dramatic increase in size. His inability to handle controversy is well established and is only outdone by his community manager's ability to create it.

You've expressed an almost kind of sympathy for Ben often in the past Beer. Actually, for many RSI staffers. Has your experiences in the past few months embittered you at all?

If so, what was the "final straw" for you, as it were? The forum ban?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

redwalrus posted:

Build that spaceship.

ARGH

NO STOP IT WHAT ARE YOU DOING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Paladinus posted:

PM this man the suicide prevention line number, quick!
That was like :2weeks: ago.

• Locked thread