Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
So... HoI3?

But good, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Sharzak posted:

Holy gently caress how good would that be? A wargame where you leave the actual moving of armies to the jocks in the war room and all you do is make deals, do research, and allocate resources. Maybe some high level arrow drawing. Victory through superior application of economics and diplomacy.

That actually sounds worse than the tedium of moving armies about to me. It would remove a lot of the strategy involved with actual warfare. As soon as war is declared, you would largely just sit back and occasionally click a button, removing most thought and strategy. It would feel like playing colonial GB in EUIV, or a Revoke Privelgia Austria. It would feel really good and powerful the first time you do it, but it would lack any satisfaction after a short while. Infact, the only reason a Revoked Privelgia HRE game feels good is because of the hard work involved with getting to that point. The satisfaction of a job well done, catharsis. A strategy game made entirely around smoky backroom deals and nothing else would lose appeal to me in 2 games. One where I min-maxed, and one where I did as little as I could but just enough to win.

For example, the 'great war' I had in Viccy 2 today, where it was two idiots and poor old Japan vs. all the other great powers. That didn't feel good to win, because I did very little to actually achieve that victory. All I did was sign an alliance with Austria, Germany and Italy, and the other two just happened to really hate the French. That war basically won itself without much actual strategy once the war broke out. All I did was manage some economics (Germany lives off my war subs, poor saps), cut some deals, and watch swarms of angry Japanese men march into my 80 stacks in Osaka and die. Nothing about that victory felt 'good', not even the amazing war reps I got which doubled my economy, or watching all of that French blue turn into green, or gaining an extra million Japanese men to put in my telephone factories.

It would need an absurdly in depth internal political system and a very robust and complex economy system. Viccy 2 already has the latter, and doing that alone didn't feel good in that war.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Tomn posted:

Whether you're on the offensive or defensive shouldn't make a difference when it comes to the machine gun stats, should it? I thought unit attack/defense always applied in all battles, with attack allowing you to kill more and defense allowing you to handle more hits regardless of who attacked who.

Unlike EU4 and CK2 you only use either attack or defense in battle. Attacking in the machinegun era is suicide.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
It's the "tactics" research techs which reduce casualties

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Chickpea Roar posted:

Unlike EU4 and CK2 you only use either attack or defense in battle. Attacking in the machinegun era is suicide.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind in the future. Since it was my first game, I didn't realise that different techs had totally different priorities on how you should approach battles.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Funky Valentine posted:

Will HoI4 have Vicky-style flags for each ideology?

Yes.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Please do not use the fasces for countries which don't even pretend to have anything to do with Rome. Furthermore, if you do use the fasces, please do not put it on a elliptical field like you did for some flags in V2, it looks awful. The whole selling point of Fascism is stylish designs after all.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Yeah, steal some other Indian symbols instead. :v:

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Please make Fascist India have a swastika, but the right way round.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pharnakes posted:

Please make Fascist India have a swastika, but the right way round.

That would be awesome

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Yeah, steal some other Indian symbols instead. :v:
The swastika is no more Indian than it is European.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I don't think war is really the point of Victoria. It sucks at simulating WW1. It's way more of a colonialism and industrialization game and any sequel should focus more on those.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The swastika is no more Indian than it is European.

It's broadly Indo-European yeah. Can be found from Iberia to the Ganges.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Please do not use the fasces for countries which don't even pretend to have anything to do with Rome. Furthermore, if you do use the fasces, please do not put it on a elliptical field like you did for some flags in V2, it looks awful. The whole selling point of Fascism is stylish designs after all.

Just use whatever contemporary fascist parties were using? :shrug: Not that tricky to figure out.

Or just incorporate symbols from contemporary stuff if there's no clear-cut "THESE ARE THE BIG FASCISTS" party to nick designs from. I saw somebody make a fascist USA flag for HoI2 once that replaced the stars in the blue canton with the KKK's cross.

I guess it sort of depends on what sort of fascists are being used for various countries-- 'homegrown'/nativist, or puppet party imposed by the Nazis. I'd totally use the KKK as a basis for a more 'homegrown' party, but the Silver Shirts and/or the Bund would fit better with a Nazi-imposed regime.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The Sharmat posted:

I don't think war is really the point of Victoria. It sucks at simulating WW1. It's way more of a colonialism and industrialization game and any sequel should focus more on those.

Yeah, Vicky 2's army system is meant for giant roving post-Napoleonic armies. It does that job quite well, but as it nears the end of the 19th century it starts to break down. The problem is Hearts of Iron is only up to handling World War One, not the turbulence of the interbellum, so Vicky III needs something to handle trench warfare.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
So I just got completely outplayed by the Vic 2 AI the other night, holy poo poo that experience was down right terrifying. Let me explain.

So, I decided to play Russia on the PDM mod, I then choose to try and isolate myself from European affairs while I try to tackle Russia's abysmal literacy rate (8.7%, Russia what the gently caress), since I wanted nothing to do with Europe and wanted to have as much £££ as possible I decided to disband my entire navy because hey, Russians totally don't need one! Little did I know this decision would ruin my drat game.

So, it's 1860s and everything's going smoothly, all my NFs are focused on getting as many clergymen as possible to educate my terrible peasants and so far I've avoided any fights in Europe. My army is massive and easily outnumbers any Euro army. Suddenly Germany decides to eat massive chunks of Austria and I decide that I'll break my rule for one moment and seize some land from this pathetic, poo poo nation while he's down. I see he's allied with the UK and think pfft, he can't do poo poo, I'll crush him if he decides to gently caress with me. I quickly fab some CBs and decide to roll into town on Austria after Germany's hosed him up real good for me.

First mistake, I was at 20 Infamy already after I just bullied one of those shitholes in central Asia, asking for one bit of land from Aus bumped it up more to around 25 - 30. Anyway after I've seized some land and crushed some remnant forces I think to myself I'll ask for more! He can't do poo poo to me and no one will have the nuts to try and contain my mighty nation. Turns out I'm loving stupid and misread Slovakia for Slovenia so I ended up asking for a bit of land bang next to Italy, land I don't want and has only added more infamy. gently caress it, I'll just ask for Slovakia too. 40 INFAMY.

By now I have taken most of Austria and think it's all over. I noticed beforehand the royal navy was blockading my entire western coast. Blocked it off with 20 ships. 20 poo poo ships. My entire nation started to collapse from this blockade, my army was costing me tons of money and I was losing so much cash I had to can my education budget, max all tax, half my army spending and it still wasn't enough. I losing 30k daily and my middle class was starting to starve to death in their own homes. poo poo. gently caress. poo poo! I thought the UK would allow me to bail with just 1 piece of land but he told me to gently caress off. He had no armies in Europe and was willing to let his ally die just to spite me. Some months later poo poo is getting dire, Russians are leaving my glorious empire in droves and heading to the States. I decide to throw in the towel and ask for white peace before this poo poo killed me.

"The United Kingdom has declined your offer of white peace, you stupid moron."

I was at 20 warscore. Fuckers knew they had me by the nuts and weren't letting go. Next thing I know, I go bankrupt and my armies are at 10% morale. Suddenly Britain shows up with 30k and completely wipes out my entire invasion force and unsieges all my poo poo slowly. They still decline my WP offer. I witness in horror that Britain is intentionally starving my entire empire to death, while I sit there and sob like a total bitch. Some time later, after my nation is in complete ruin, he asks to loving CONTAIN ME OH GOD. I accept reluctantly and think its all over. Turns out 1 million reactionaries somehow afforded enough money to rebel and completely gently caress me up, since I can't build ANY army for years I just sit there and watch. They enforce demands then Jacobin & Nationalists double team my nation right after, they also force their demands.

My empire is dead, I can't afford anything and rebels keep deciding to take turns loving me up the rear end. Never again will I mock Paradox's AI. Never. Again.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/643246304998150449/2D40FF6FEF96CAB2CC9D477E18616831168E12DC/

Robot Dog
Oct 2, 2013

Trundel posted:

I don't know this off the top of my head, but is there a conversion tool for taking EU4 games into Vicky 2? I kind of want to take my Byzantium game in EU4 forward and see how quickly the country fractures under the strain of all of the different cultures I control.

Also Austin Walker over at Giant Bomb interviewed Paradox's CEO and COO about a bunch of stuff, with a good focus on community interaction.

http://www.giantbomb.com/podcasts/giant-bomb-presents/

There's no official conversion tool. There are fan-made ones but, uh

they don't work so good

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Okay. SO I just got EU4, complete with every expansion.

I've played CK2, so I have a bit of a reference for a lot of things, but, um, where's a good starting country for simplicity?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Neopie posted:

I've played CK2, so I have a bit of a reference for a lot of things, but, um, where's a good starting country for simplicity?
Portugal for a colonization focused game, Ottoman for a landwar focused game.

All the countries the recommendation serves up in pregame are all good choices and pretty easy to get on their recommended track while learning the ropes but those two come up the most often for having fairly straightforward paths to big blobs.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Neopie posted:

Spain, portugal, England, Sweden.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

BillBear posted:

So I just got completely outplayed by the Vic 2 AI the other night, holy poo poo that experience was down right terrifying. Let me explain.

So, I decided to play Russia on the PDM mod, I then choose to try and isolate myself from European affairs while I try to tackle Russia's abysmal literacy rate (8.7%, Russia what the gently caress), since I wanted nothing to do with Europe and wanted to have as much £££ as possible I decided to disband my entire navy because hey, Russians totally don't need one! Little did I know this decision would ruin my drat game.

So, it's 1860s and everything's going smoothly, all my NFs are focused on getting as many clergymen as possible to educate my terrible peasants and so far I've avoided any fights in Europe. My army is massive and easily outnumbers any Euro army. Suddenly Germany decides to eat massive chunks of Austria and I decide that I'll break my rule for one moment and seize some land from this pathetic, poo poo nation while he's down. I see he's allied with the UK and think pfft, he can't do poo poo, I'll crush him if he decides to gently caress with me. I quickly fab some CBs and decide to roll into town on Austria after Germany's hosed him up real good for me.

First mistake, I was at 20 Infamy already after I just bullied one of those shitholes in central Asia, asking for one bit of land from Aus bumped it up more to around 25 - 30. Anyway after I've seized some land and crushed some remnant forces I think to myself I'll ask for more! He can't do poo poo to me and no one will have the nuts to try and contain my mighty nation. Turns out I'm loving stupid and misread Slovakia for Slovenia so I ended up asking for a bit of land bang next to Italy, land I don't want and has only added more infamy. gently caress it, I'll just ask for Slovakia too. 40 INFAMY.

By now I have taken most of Austria and think it's all over. I noticed beforehand the royal navy was blockading my entire western coast. Blocked it off with 20 ships. 20 poo poo ships. My entire nation started to collapse from this blockade, my army was costing me tons of money and I was losing so much cash I had to can my education budget, max all tax, half my army spending and it still wasn't enough. I losing 30k daily and my middle class was starting to starve to death in their own homes. poo poo. gently caress. poo poo! I thought the UK would allow me to bail with just 1 piece of land but he told me to gently caress off. He had no armies in Europe and was willing to let his ally die just to spite me. Some months later poo poo is getting dire, Russians are leaving my glorious empire in droves and heading to the States. I decide to throw in the towel and ask for white peace before this poo poo killed me.

I was at 20 warscore. Fuckers knew they had me by the nuts and weren't letting go. Next thing I know, I go bankrupt and my armies are at 10% morale. Suddenly Britain shows up with 30k and completely wipes out my entire invasion force and unsieges all my poo poo slowly. They still decline my WP offer. I witness in horror that Britain is intentionally starving my entire empire to death, while I sit there and sob like a total bitch. Some time later, after my nation is in complete ruin, he asks to loving CONTAIN ME OH GOD. I accept reluctantly and think its all over. Turns out 1 million reactionaries somehow afforded enough money to rebel and completely gently caress me up, since I can't build ANY army for years I just sit there and watch. They enforce demands then Jacobin & Nationalists double team my nation right after, they also force their demands.

My empire is dead, I can't afford anything and rebels keep deciding to take turns loving me up the rear end. Never again will I mock Paradox's AI. Never. Again.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/643246304998150449/2D40FF6FEF96CAB2CC9D477E18616831168E12DC/

Tbh I do wonder from people who've actually played Vicky 2 in depth? How salvageable is that? Like the rebels are going to suck but I don't see Russia of all nations having much you can really revert back. The bankruptcy is the nastiest issue but even that should be solvable. I'd say you could probably get Russia back to GP status by game end if you were careful.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

BillBear posted:

Mess with John Bull, you get the horns.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Mess with John Bull, you get the horns.

Though there are certain ways to gently caress Britain over (Rushing Ironclads and sinking the RN), The British Empire is essentially the France of Vicky 2. The AI may not play them most effectively but their resources and territory will ensure they just get in the way and ruin things for you.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

BillBear posted:

The lesson here is to not let your badboy go over the limit.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Robot Dog posted:

they don't work so good

I think the converter has been updated a lot since that screenshot

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

BgRdMchne posted:

Yeah, disarming your navy was also a boneheaded move, but unless you're playing as China and have more soldiers than the rest of the world has people, do not exceed the infamy limit or everyone and everything will try to kill you.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Farecoal posted:

I think the converter has been updated a lot since that screenshot

Indeed, it's gotten a lot better at hiding Denmark.

Kavak posted:

Yeah, disarming your navy was also a boneheaded move, but unless you're playing as China and have more soldiers than the rest of the world has people, do not exceed the infamy limit or everyone and everything will try to kill you.

Or play as France and restart the Napoleonic Wars on day one :getin:

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Or play as France and restart the Napoleonic Wars on day one :getin:

That sounds like a fun game.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

BgRdMchne posted:

BB doesn't really matter as long as you're strong enough. China can ignore BB from basically day 1, my Germany games often end with 600+ BB since the AI judges it suicidal to attack after you reach a certain point of being stronger than them.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
It really is kind of daunting how difficult it is to knock the UK out of relevance in Vicky 2. You pretty much have to start with that goal and keep it in mind the entire game.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
What I want is a Paradox Map Game where you can control the tactical level of battles, a la Total War.

What I really want is Rome 2. Give me a good Daodachi simulator, Paradox :argh:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Kulkasha posted:

What I want is a Paradox Map Game where you can control the tactical level of battles, a la Total War.

What I really want is Rome 2. Give me a good Daodachi simulator, Paradox :argh:

This would be impossible for multiplayer so it will never happen.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Robot Dog posted:

they don't work so good

This picture is super outdated. The converter is a lot better at converting over nations now, and can even correctly port custom nations. The most recent release was a month and a half ago, which made it compatible with common sense. Check it out, it's actually not bad now.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.

Funky Valentine posted:

Will HoI4 have Vicky-style flags for each ideology? Need to know if fascist France's sparkle fasces still lives on.

HOI4 does have ideology flags.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Robot Dog posted:

they don't work so good

Secret Denmark will never stop being my favorite thing :allears:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Why the gently caress was "secret" even a prefix?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Secret Denmark is great but that image also has hidden gold in that you can imagine a world where "For the People's Union Of!!" is a battle cry and people tell you "Welcome to Republic" when you arrive as an immigrant.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Talking about converters, is the CK2 - EU4 one working fine? I'll love to do some sort of mega campaign.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Wait a minute. So dynamic ideological civil wars are a thing in HoI4, right? You can have a Peruvian Civil War between the fascists and communists and that sort of thing if you shift around ideologically in a bad way. Are all these ideological factions different pre-made tags? If not, how does the game figure out tech teams and generals for Dynamic Communist Australia?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

DStecks posted:

Why the gently caress was "secret" even a prefix?

This is what baffles me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Fintilgin posted:

This is what baffles me.

Ask Paradox. They were the ones that put those stupid names in to begin with - they came from the HoD dynamic dominion system. When that converter found a nation it could not transfer a Vicky 2 tag over to, it would take one of the dynamic dominion tags, which are as follows:

code:
The Kingdom of $REGION$
The Confederation of $REGION$
Commonwealth of $REGION$
The Republic of $REGION$
The $REGION$ State
The People's Republic of $REGION$
The Free State of $REGION$
The Grand State of $REGION$
The State of $REGION$
The Principality of $REGION$
The Democratic Republic of $REGION$
The $REGION$ Union
The $REGION$ Kingdom
The Dominion of $REGION$
The Grand Duchy of $REGION$
The $REGION$ Nation
The $REGION$ Federation
The United States of $REGION$
The Democratic Union of $REGION$
The Princedom of $REGION$
The Union of $REGION$
The People's Democratic Republic of $REGION$
The $REGION$ Area
The Glorious Union of $REGION$
Mighty $REGION$
The $REGION$ Free State
The $REGION$ Commonwealth
The $REGION$ Confederacy
The Free People of $REGION$
The $REGION$ Republic
The Holy Union of $REGION$
The People's Union of $REGION$
The Federal States of $REGION$
The $REGION$ Federal State
The $REGION$ Confederation
The $REGION$ Federation
The Pious Union of $REGION$
$REGION$ Land
The Most Serene Republic of $REGION$
The Secret Kingdom of $REGION$
The Commune of $REGION$
The $REGION$ Commune
The Worker's Union of $REGION$
The Landgrave of $REGION$
The Nation of $REGION$
Holy $REGION$
The $REGION$ Dominion
The People's State of $REGION$
The High Kingdom of $REGION$
The Lesser Duchy of $REGION$
So the nation owning Greenland is "The Secret Kingdom of" (I think the converter excluded the region part) and since Denmark had cores on it, that becomes "Secret Denmark".