Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So Advanced Screenings are today/tomorrow, here's hoping for spoilers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z84KJ79CTwQ&t=1h41s

First 5 minutes of the film, Alphamon kills the 02 chosen, I think. They show Daisuke in shadows falling and dropping his D3, followed by Miyako with shattered glasses and then Iori and Ken then cut to a panning shot of them on the ground, a lightning flash and alphamon in shadows

all interspaced with scenes of Hikari waking Taichi up and then him going to school. Cue Butter-Fly!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

That sure is a way to handle the connection with 02 :staredog:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

It also appears that Taichi has become a complete coward, described as not being any part of the leader he was in either previous series, and trying to avoid combat and doesn't know what he wants in life anymore

Also if you're wondering if they kept 02s "Welp we can't reach Perfect/Ultimate" bullshit? No. No they didn't. No one has any problem evolving, though Jou is barely in the film (he has to study) and Tailmon never evolves.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
It's for the best.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Is this the retcon you want, 02 hater? :froggonk:

Yes.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
That is a lot harsher than I expected. Just about the only cast I wished that on was the Frontier group.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
...I'm... going to assume that they'll return somehow (recovering in hiding?) for a dramatic rescue later in the series or something, because otherwise...

Yeah, harsh.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Considering they made 02 ending cannon they'll be fine.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

This is EXACTLY the sort of thing I was really hoping they actually DIDN'T do in their Adventure sequel. Maybe with the benefit of hindsight it'll all shake out well, but it's not exactly starting on the right foot for me.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

There's appealing to the fans and then there's this. This is overboard. Then again, I guess they needed an excuse to not have the 02 guys around and this is better than just creating a million plotholes I guess...

I mean it's blatant it won't stick, but there's still an obvious "HEY FANS THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT RIGHT" component to it that I absolutely hate.

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

This is awesome

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So some small petty part of me finds this hilarious even though it makes it VERY OBVIOUS the plot is going to be about going back in time and stopping it from happening.

The writer side of me thinks this is worthless and awful and just a lovely way to handle anything. Like yeah, I don't like the season 2 cast, especially Cody, but I don't want them to literally die.

Except for Cody.

This is just bad writing, and telegraphs what the actual plot is going to be way too hard. There's no way they're going to stick with the 'murdered the cast of season 2' plot. No way in hell.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Omnicrom posted:

This is EXACTLY the sort of thing I was really hoping they actually DIDN'T do in their Adventure sequel. Maybe with the benefit of hindsight it'll all shake out well, but it's not exactly starting on the right foot for me.

I honestly thought it sounded like fanfiction when I heard it. I'm guessing their response is more "We don't need these guys in the way when trying to tell our Adventure story." so they decided to Worf them out to the bad guys.

I would have been fine with simply never mentioning them.

Burkion posted:

So some small petty part of me finds this hilarious even though it makes it VERY OBVIOUS the plot is going to be about going back in time and stopping it from happening.

The writer side of me thinks this is worthless and awful and just a lovely way to handle anything. Like yeah, I don't like the season 2 cast, especially Cody, but I don't want them to literally die.

Except for Cody.

This is just bad writing, and telegraphs what the actual plot is going to be way too hard. There's no way they're going to stick with the 'murdered the cast of season 2' plot. No way in hell.

Maybe in a later chapter, they never mention the kids again at all in the movie. They literally exist at the beginning to be chumped and there's no mention in spoilers of them showing up past that.

No one says "Hey the kids are missing" or anything like that.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
They don't have to be dead. Since they were the active heroes at the time, they tried to fix things first, got chumped, and were captured. Like, they can just be captured by the villain.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If they were just killed off, that'd be hilariously stupid and wouldn't sit well with me.

But I did consider the OTHER most fanficy thing they could have done, which I guess I'm glad they didn't.

They all turn evil.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I think my problem is the meanness of the way they're shoving the 02 cast to the side. As it stood at the end of 02 it wouldn't make a lot of sense for them to be completely absent from a series of movies starring their close friends (especially Daisuke and Miyako), but this is a really badfic way of shoving them to the side. I just can't believe that they literally couldn't think of a way to keep the 02 cast out of focus besides jobbing them to death. I actually really liked the 02 cast (far more than the writers did by my estimate), so just killing them, even temporarily feels extremely wrong from both a narrative standpoint and a tonal standpoint. Maybe I'm just a bleeding heart, but I still say it's not the sort of thing you'd really want from a thing that's supposed to celebrate Digimon Adventure.

There's any number of ways to not have to use the 02 cast. They could have other engagements. They could be on other adventures. They could have been recruited by that dimension crossing Omegamon from Movie 5 and be temporarily out of the same universe. Or Tri could have actually used them as supporting characters and put to shame 02 by using their own main characters better. Killing them, even temporarily just feels like a waste. Not even mentioning them again makes it seem like the movie is proud of that waste.

:sigh: I'm acting like a fanboy, I'm sorry.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Nah this is just lovely writing, you're not acting like a fanboy. And this has got to suck for some one who legit likes these guys- I don't and I still dislike this.

Who is/are the writer/s of this movie by the by? Were they connected to season 1 or 2, or are they new guys?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Oh they aren't dead. Like 100% guarantee they aren't dead. This is Adventure, not Tamers. They're just been chumped to make Alphamon (Or more likely the Mon behind Alphamon) look tough, and to get them out of the way.

Personally,like I said before,I just would never have even mentioned them.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Milli posted:

This is awesome

This. gently caress how they finished all that.

I really doubt this is a Dead Kids Plot. But I'm also used to how these kinds of shows are localized in the US so if the kids' Digimon were blown to bits and then the kids suddenly fall to the ground and go "OH!!!" and then never are seen again (aka a Saban cut) I would totally accept it and not wonder if something was missing. Dead kids seems out of character and weighs down the rest of the story with an emotional wet cloth.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 25, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

This. gently caress how they finished all that.

I really doubt this is a Dead Kids Plot. But I'm also used to how these kinds of shows are localized in the US so if the kids' Digimon were blown to bits and then the kids suddenly fall to the ground and go "OH!!!" and then never are seen again (aka a Saban cut) I would totally accept it and not wonder if something was missing.

The Digimon aren't even in the shot, it's literally Hikari waking Taichi up as he gets ready for school inter-spaced with shots of silhouetted kids falling back with their Digivices (and Miyakos broken glasses) and then a group distance shot of the four defeated (still no Digimon in shot) before a lightning bolt hits and we see Alphamon flash on screen. Then Taichi kicks off on his bike and Butterfly starts.

Oh right, Glasses girl with the black hair is Mochizuki Meiko,and she's a transfer student into Taichi and Sora's class. She's there searching for something and some people have her pinned as Taichi's new Waifu.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 25, 2015

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Yeah, "Killed" is too strong a word for the framing of the scene. I still maintain it's a crummy way to write out a bunch of characters though.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Onmi posted:

The Digimon aren't even in the shot
I know, but I'm arguing for what's probably the majority opinion out here: they were smacked down to make the villain look strong, but not into the funeral home. But then I also realize that most of what I know from this series was edited for an American audience, where did kids wouldn't ever fly; so I really can't make any solid judgments about whether Digimon as a JP production would actually kill off kid characters dead one moment and try to be happy the next.

quote:

Waifu.

Oh boy.. More... shipping battles.... [loud snoring ensues]

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

I don't mind them getting beaten by Alphamon. Given that, with Kari and TK out of the picture, the best they've got is Imperialdramon and two Champions vs a super-Mega at least equal to Omnimon, but I agree that ithe way it's shown does kind of smack of fanfiction writing.

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Burkion posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwzAqG1nljg

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I won't really miss these guys, but that seems like a really lazy way to write them out of the picture.

If 02 is canon, TK and Kari should have their upgraded digivices, while the rest of the 01 cast are stuck with their old models, right? I wonder if the show will acknowledge that.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I don't get what's so upsetting over that? They're just beaten up because the new baddie is the strongest force out there and so the originals need to step it up. It took less than a minute to establish that, so that's cool, and if you wanna go technical with power levels all you gotta say is that Alphamon is stronger than Imperialdramon, so of course only Omnimon can stand up to him.

I honestly expect the 02 kids to show up in a hospital at some point and warn someone about some important plot point we couldn't have known by then (like, idk, "no, it's not alphamon you need to worry, it's his partner..."). Getting all worked up because they were "killed" or that it's "bad handling" is rather silly.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Wow. And I was being facetious when I said "They'll probably off the cast of 02 to keep them out of the movie :v:" ...What the gently caress, Toei?

I'm with everyone else on this though, they're pulling an Advent Children and just making you think they're dead because it's a cheap way to set up Alphamon is a Serious Threat while also letting the audience know that this isn't a kids show anymore because "look, we just pretended to have murdered four kids in the first two minutes of the movie."

Either way, it's one hell of an attention grabber because it shows that literally anything can happen now if this is the note we're starting on.

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending
I'd be more okay with the 02 additions being missing/injured/whatever if it extended to Hikari and Takeru as well..... like why were those three fighting some big bad by themselves. It just doesn't make sense that 4/6 group members did poo poo by themselves and no one knows/cares??? that they failed.

It reeks of pandering, and not the kind that would make me happy.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

vivisecting posted:

I'd be more okay with the 02 additions being missing/injured/whatever if it extended to Hikari and Takeru as well..... like why were those three fighting some big bad by themselves. It just doesn't make sense that 4/6 group members did poo poo by themselves and no one knows/cares??? that they failed.

It reeks of pandering, and not the kind that would make me happy.

In-universe: Perhaps TK and Kari aren't in the team anymore since the threats have stopped being so big since defeating MalonMyotismon, or the kids thought it was gonna be a simple mission and didn't need everyone, they assumed motherfuckin' Imperialdramon could take anything and simply went unprepared.

Really: because this is a movie about the Adventure cast.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

In-universe: Perhaps TK and Kari aren't in the team anymore since the threats have stopped being so big since defeating MalonMyotismon, or the kids thought it was gonna be a simple mission and didn't need everyone, they assumed motherfuckin' Imperialdramon could take anything and simply went unprepared.

Really: because this is a movie about the Adventure cast.

Their digimon were always presented as being (potentially) the most powerful of the main cast in Adventure while their DNA forms were relatively underwhelming (at best, they matched what their natural Ultimates could already do on their own), so them being excluded could might hint at them being forced them to finally reach their potential as Megas* in the future.

*Megas that don't just get smacked down to show off the movie's big bad like every other appearance of their Mega forms.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 26, 2015

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

There's 6 movies, guys. They got defeated to show how strong the enemy is and to let the first movie be about the original chosen kids. I'm positive they'll show up fine in the next movie.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

The opening narration

The origin.
There exists the creator of the universe without a soul, Demiurge, and the true form of the world, Idea.
A single soul without shape exists as chaos.
Demiurge knows not of the existence born within itself, it knows not of the soul, it knows not of Idea.
The world created from itself goes on as a shadow of the true world.

Also Hackmon shows up.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Onmi posted:

The opening narration

The origin.
There exists the creator of the universe without a soul, Demiurge, and the true form of the world, Idea.
A single soul without shape exists as chaos.
Demiurge knows not of the existence born within itself, it knows not of the soul, it knows not of Idea.
The world created from itself goes on as a shadow of the true world.

Also Hackmon shows up.

So... The main villain is Azathoth?

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
As I mentioned in the Re:Digitize LP thread, the fact that the epilogue of 02 is still canon means that the 02 cast (including their partner Digimon) must still be alive to be part of that epilogue. ArmyOfMidgets has the right idea about them being more likely hospitalized rather than actually dead since continuity prevents Alphamon from actually killing them.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 26, 2015

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Chimera-gui posted:

the epilogue of 02 is still [redacted]

Please stop trying to kill my enthusiasm for this project.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I like that egg alarm clock.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

Onmi posted:

Oh right, Glasses girl with the black hair is Mochizuki Meiko,and she's a transfer student into Taichi and Sora's class. She's there searching for something and some people have her pinned as Taichi's new Waifu.

Mochizuki, eh? I know that's a relatively common Japanese surname, but the "transfer student" thing and the inevitability that she's going to be important to the story brings only this dude to mind:

(P3 spoiler) But enough about her being an obvious villain.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Geostomp posted:

Their digimon were always presented as being (potentially) the most powerful of the main cast in Adventure while their DNA forms were relatively underwhelming (at best, they matched what their natural Ultimates could already do on their own), so them being excluded could might hint at them being forced them to finally reach their potential as Megas* in the future.

*Megas that don't just get smacked down to show off the movie's big bad like every other appearance of their Mega forms.

Seraphimon wasn't exactly awe-inspiring in Frontier either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The thing with the Angemon and Angewomon lines is that they're insanely powerful against Virus types but average against Data and Vaccines. TK and Kari were OP on Adventure because their foes were virus, not because they were inherently powerful like WarGreymon or MetalGarurumon.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 26, 2015