Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Deki posted:

What I don't get, is even if I was entirely in the right, I'd shut the gently caress up really quick the second I found out about an impending legal threat over a video game. It wouldn't be worth the time or hassle for me to deal with this kind of thing over a loving videogame.

I have no idea why spaceship fans are willing to risk everything in order to please CR (notacult)

It's certainly an interesting case study to what happens to people's judgement when their money is on the line even as tentatively as it is here. (jpegs lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
Imagine being Dickwulf reading this thread right now, I mean imagine being him at any point in life but especially right now.

lmao.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Kimsemus posted:

I wonder how many of the shills you're going after are going to dig through your SA post history and go "SEE, SEE, HE IS JUST AS BAD AS WE ARE" or some similar poo poo. You'd be amazed at the number of SA screencaps from this thread I see on websites I would never otherwise guess.

I already said that I'm only going after the leaders who have decided to break the law with impunity.

Ragequit posted:

Wait is the most recent empty threat over a guy calling Derek a piece of human garbage? Or were there some other more nefarious posts I missed. If it goes to court Derek will have to prove he is in fact not a piece of garbage which seems like a large hurdle to convince a jury of peers.

See here

thatguy posted:

Derek if you ever need someone to search out all the people who think you're bad on the internet and then tell them they're wrong I'm available. As I've said before I can write up a quick résumé for my shitposting career should you require one.

heh, thanks. But that's not what this is about.

It's about specific ringleaders of a community conducting illegal activities against others. They are the ones I'm going to set an example of. The beauty of it is that I'm hoping that they think I'm bluffing; that way, once it happens and the media headlines start going up, and with Star Citizen right there in the name, they get to see just how much damage they are doing and are responsible for. The fact that there are numerous media accounts of just how toxic they are to the Star Citizen community, what happens following this, should come as no surprise.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Sedisp posted:

He vowed to destroy Derek's career. I think that counts as a threat.

Aren't they also responsible for telling people on the SC forums to post the low-ranking reviews on LOD's Steam page to hurt DS? I'm pretty sure that Derek and his lawyers could sue for financial damages because those reviews impact his sales of the game.

Just so everyone knows, I told you this would happen. I just thought DS would be pouring salt in the wounds after CIG collaped, not before. Either way, the SC fanatics have been leaving lots of rope that DS and his lawyers can make their nooses for them.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 25, 2015

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Young Freud posted:

Aren't they also responsible for telling people on the SC forums to post the low-ranking reviews on LOD's Steam page to hurt DS? I'm pretty sure that Derek and his lawyers could sue for financial damages because those reviews impact his sales of the game.

There was also a bit about them telling everyone to make scam claims to Steam about LoD.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

D_Smart posted:

It's about specific ringleaders of a community conducting illegal activities against others. They are the ones I'm going to set an example of. The beauty of it is that I'm hoping that they think I'm bluffing; that way, once it happens and the media headlines start going up, and with Star Citizen right there in the name, they get to see just how much damage they are doing and are responsible for. The fact that there are numerous media accounts of just how toxic they are to the Star Citizen community, what happens following this, should come as no surprise.

This makes me wonder how much of a panic the community at large must be working up, and how quickly they'll throw their so called icons and figureheads under the bus to try and save their precious jpegs.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Sedisp posted:

There was also a bit about them telling everyone to make scam claims to Steam about LoD.

That's probably the most (and maybe only) damning thing I'd think of this so far.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Why does reddit have such a fucken hardon for archiving the internet? Is it because they themselves post in a shitbox where the mods remove anything they don't like as soon as they can?

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

Jon Do posted:

im still not sure whether this constitutes misuse of the term "dox"

on one hand, looking up a bunch of publicly available info about someone is creepy as poo poo and deserves a shameful term

otoh, "doxxing" implies that someone did illegal poo poo like phish/break into your accounts

People misuse dox all of the time, especially idiot redditors. There needs to be malicious use of the information, and the information usually has to be obtained through methods that are not simply googling, like social engineering to get people to give you things they shouldn't.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

AP posted:

How many private limited companies are involved in all this crazy stuff?

I'm completely shocked that they're both gamergoobers given their histories.

Pity Party Animal
Jul 23, 2006
Lesnick is the biggest (fattest heh) piece of poo poo because he runs the shill mill for this loving confidence game.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

So those few archive/screenshot links with a sentence or two each is it? That's the most tame thing I have read in awhile. Best of luck in your pursuits I guess.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
Source

:lesnick: got something right, you're finally playing Star Citizen when you give your all to battle Wulf Knight.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Sedisp posted:

That's even worse because then Smart can definitely prove financial damages with each claim against him on Steam. Misleading reviews are harder to prove financial damage, but there's a chance. But misleading claims? That's like a slam dunk.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Why does reddit have such a fucken hardon for archiving the internet? Is it because they themselves post in a shitbox where the mods remove anything they don't like as soon as they can?

I can't even make sense of reddit in general. Like there is some good stuff on some of the subreddits, but in general it is a bunch of absolute shitheads who literally think their opinions actually matter. It's like they read Ender's Game, and they all think they're the next Peter or Val or something. Not only that, it is full of kids who grew up with the internet, and facebook, and have had computers their entire lives and buy into the reddit stupidity that perpetuates.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

To be fair goons used to band together to archive sites as well. Admittedly it was a euphemism for DDOSing but still.

Sex Rod
Oct 8, 2004
I've been reading this site since 1999 for a price of $10. This thread is good and the fanart gave a great climax. SC threads 1 thru 4 characterize goons and these forums in some way but I'm not going to elaborate. D_Smart is goon batman and I can't wait for space court. Good things happen when goons find easy targets.
Ok thats my post I'll check back in 2025 maybe

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Sex Rod posted:

I've been reading this site since 1999 for a price of $10. This thread is good and the fanart gave a great climax. SC threads 1 thru 4 characterize goons and these forums in some way but I'm not going to elaborate. D_Smart is goon batman and I can't wait for space court. Good things happen when goons find easy targets.

A good and poignant post, I look forward to 2025

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Why do these people poo poo talk Derek? whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Ragequit posted:

That's a bit more rude I guess. Did he lay out details or a plan? Because absolutely nothing will come of this if someone simply said "I will destroy your career." and nothing else.

In the same post he mentioned getting a number of CIG fans to work together to help him. Toss in that he is in an authoritarian position on two communities, and also has close ties to CIG they have dug themselves into a big hole. For example, posting in /r/dereksmart and /r/starcitizen that they should spam-report his accounts to shut him down and to use alts to get around blocks will show that Reddit was used as a staging ground to try and defame Smart. They can't even delete it as the damage has been done and all the data saved.

The thing is, Derek doesn't even need to win. He just needs to make the hearings long and expensive. And people like Trevor need to not only attend but fight it to prevent a default judgement.

The biggest mistake these people made (Dolvak, Dickwulf, etc) was to make the hate subs. They went on a crusade publicly stating they are actively looking to ruin Derek Smart's career and finances because he has criticized a 3rd party. The fact CIG is a 3rd party also has impact because nothing Trevor/Dickwulf have done can be attributed to Derek being a critic of CIG.

This is before looking not only into their personal relationship with CIG, but also using INN's visibility to promote attacking Smart's career.

It's almost funny because it show just how blind these people are. They have been digging into Smart's history, wife, and business as well as his finances. They have been archiving all of his online activity over the past decade, and they've created a community dedicated to stalking him. And yet when they are called out by name they try to play an innocent victim.

Nah, doesn't work that way. They are going to be hosed one way or another unless they convince Derek not to sue.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

D_Smart posted:

disposal income

Retiree by day, garbage man by night

EDIT: Please don't sue :(

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Ag Bengip posted:

Retiree by day, garbage man by night

EDIT: Please don't sue :(

He is very good at taking out the trash.

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

OhDearGodNo posted:

In the same post he mentioned getting a number of CIG fans to work together to help him. Toss in that he is in an authoritarian position on two communities, and also has close ties to CIG they have dug themselves into a big hole. For example, posting in /r/dereksmart and /r/starcitizen that they should spam-report his accounts to shut him down and to use alts to get around blocks will show that Reddit was used as a staging ground to try and defame Smart. They can't even delete it as the damage has been done and all the data saved.

The thing is, Derek doesn't even need to win. He just needs to make the hearings long and expensive. And people like Trevor need to not only attend but fight it to prevent a default judgement.

The biggest mistake these people made (Dolvak, Dickwulf, etc) was to make the hate subs. They went on a crusade publicly stating they are actively looking to ruin Derek Smart's career and finances because he has criticized a 3rd party. The fact CIG is a 3rd party also has impact because nothing Trevor/Dickwulf have done can be attributed to Derek being a critic of CIG.

This is before looking not only into their personal relationship with CIG, but also using INN's visibility to promote attacking Smart's career.

It's almost funny because it show just how blind these people are. They have been digging into Smart's history, wife, and business as well as his finances. They have been archiving all of his online activity over the past decade, and they've created a community dedicated to stalking him. And yet when they are called out by name they try to play an innocent victim.

Nah, doesn't work that way. They are going to be hosed one way or another unless they convince Derek not to sue.

No idea what INN is, but he also has a storied history and has been hiring people to "research" the people saying mean things about him, some of which he shares with the public in a weird way. With the additional details you provided it sounds like a courtroom shitshow for the ages on both sides. Neither side is wholly innocent, to be sure. What a crazy sue happy world we live in.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Imagine being Dickwulf reading this thread right now, I mean imagine being him at any point in life but especially right now.

lmao.

I'd be more surprised if he didn't. He strikes me as the type who googles himself and then jerks off every time he sees his name mentioned.

Also, I'd rather literally take the Kurt Cobain way to fame than ever imagine myself to be that pathetic cretin. It just goes to show even the lowliest, shittiest person can dupe someone into marrying them.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Paladinus posted:

Lol at the race discussion. The funny thing is in Japanese games/animes with fantasy or sci-fi settings, because Japanese see those genres as Western, they actually have many white and black characters. Mostly because it's somewhat exotic to them, sure, but still. Also, Indian and African filmmakers try to include white characters whenever they can (it's hard to find a white actor who speaks Hindu or Swahili or just a white actor on a budget). Again, mostly because it's a novelty and it supposedly gives a film a Hollywood touch, but Croberts apparently is not interested even in that.

Korean movies/tv shows will pull in white actors/white folks who are in Korea and are cool with being in a flick/tv show all the time.

There's a variet/comedy show called Running Man and they tried to get a white guy to rap a Korean song and all he said was "Hi, Hello, Goodbye" and they thought it was hilarious.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Friendly Tumour posted:

let's start a war
let's start a nuclear war
on the court floor

Now tell me do ya, a do ya have any money?
I wanna spend all your money,
on some JAY-PEGS, JAY-PEGS, JAY-PEGS.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

peter gabriel posted:

Derek make a PDF you'll impress us all and also open a new market for Star Citizen backers who will be impressed with a new file format and its capabilities

I am actually writing a blog. It's not live yet because I have a ton of material coming in and which I have to review, add etc. But here is a PDF export of the latest version.

They have Reddit, I have my blog.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Ragequit posted:

No idea what INN is, but he also has a storied history and has been hiring people to "research" the people saying mean things about him, some of which he shares with the public in a weird way. With the additional details you provided it sounds like a courtroom shitshow for the ages on both sides. Neither side is wholly innocent, to be sure. What a crazy sue happy world we live in.

The thing is Derek can afford the shitshow. These people cannot.

Civil lawsuits are often a war of financial attrition, it's why most companies settle even if they could win- only because the cost of the trials would exceed the settlement even if they won.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Sex Rod posted:

6 posts in 11 years :monocle:

I'm glad Fart Shitizen was worthy of a post

Pity Party Animal
Jul 23, 2006

Ragequit posted:

Heathen! We shall have no more of you insulting the Mad-he.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Young Freud posted:

Just so everyone knows, I told you this would happen. I just thought DS would be pouring salt in the wounds after CIG collaped, not before. Either way, the SC fanatics have been leaving lots of rope that DS and his lawyers can make their nooses for them.

Sedisp posted:

Yes, we have all of the above. Including posts that are still up on RSI forums.

In fact, up to this point, only Wulf Knight was in the running for this action. And since Keith Elwood aka ilovecreamsoda was just low hanging fruit in this brigade, that's why in his case, I just did a catch and release.

Trevor Noblitt* aka Dolvak put himself in the running with the things he posted, plus getting my Reddit account banned under dubious circumstances. And there is a legal letter going out to Reddit as well, about the /u/redtaboo admin who shadow-banned my account. And we provided all the comms which Dolvak made public between the two of them.

As I've said all along, eventually they all screw up.

* This dumbass unwittingly doxed himself btw

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 25, 2015

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

OhDearGodNo posted:

The thing is Derek can afford the shitshow. These people cannot.

Civil lawsuits are often a war of financial attrition, it's why most companies settle even if they could win- only because the cost of the trials would exceed the settlement even if they won.

I am fully aware of that. Just saying it's a Goddamn disaster on all sides. Seriously Derek, how much of your life have you wasted with this business?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Kimsemus posted:

You've expressed an almost kind of sympathy for Ben often in the past Beer. Actually, for many RSI staffers. Has your experiences in the past few months embittered you at all?

If so, what was the "final straw" for you, as it were? The forum ban?

Firing James was the final straw. That, and my experiences afterwards, made me accept that Ben is not an honest person and CIG is not a professionally run organization. I'll admit that being permabanned in the manner they did certainly soured me significantly, but by the time that happened I was already in a mood to burn bridges. Subsequently I have no sympathy whatsoever for Ben, Sandi, or Chris, all of whom have gone out of their way to demonstrate that they are at best incompetent and at worst terrible people with no self awareness. The technical staff remain competent and incredibly talented individuals. I have yet to meet one of them who I wouldn't enjoy sharing a beer with and feel I would learn a massive amount from just talking to them. Darian, Zane, Calix, Travis, all of the technical people were remarkably friendly and clearly enjoyed their work. I maintain my respect for Erin and Tony. Star Citizen's failure is visionary, not technical, and I genuinely feel bad for how CR is squandering the talents of the people he hired.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Ragequit posted:

I am fully aware of that. Just saying it's a Goddamn disaster on all sides. Seriously Derek, how much of your life have you wasted with this business?

How can you call it wasted?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

AP posted:

How can you call it wasted?

Even if I don't agree with someone's methods or personality, I don't like seeing someone develop a mental illness or an extremely unhealthy obsession over something.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i honestly don't like the whole lawsuit thing against poor people I would prefer it just all be focused on CIG but i dont really have any say obviously

i wish dolvak, etc would just shut the gently caress up so there was no risk of them ending up in a law suit they can't afford

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Ragequit posted:

Even if I don't agree with someone's methods or personality, I don't like seeing someone develop a mental illness or an extremely unhealthy obsession over something.

Dsmart has already said that he's semi-retired, with cash and time to burn. I think he legit gets pissed off about being harassed online and poo poo, but I think it's also kind of a hobby for him. Business and pleasure mixed together, as it were.

Eonwe posted:

i wish dolvak, etc would just shut the gently caress up so there was no risk of them ending up in a law suit they can't afford

I agree, but some people really don't know when to shut the gently caress up, and the anonymity of the internet sometimes creates a false sense of invincibility.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
Some people watch TV for entertainment, some people are Derek Smart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well it's good to have hobbies.

• Locked thread