Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Mortanis posted:

Yes, but there's no option for "programs don't appear in search results" - just files and email. "Issue not present" is listed under the report for all items.

Try downloading the Windows 7 index troubleshooter and running it in Compatibility Mode for Windows 7. Sorted out an issue I had in Windows 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Wasn't sure if this should go here or in the SSD thread, but I just ordered a new SSD that's due to arrive tomorrow and I wanted to ask if I'd be correct in thinking that I should disconnect my current HDD leaving only the SSD connected, do a fresh installation of Windows 10 on the SSD and then reconnect the HDD to transfer any files I want to keep to the SSD?

I know there's migration tool software but I'd prefer to have a completely clean installation of Windows 10 if at all possible, without losing any of my documents and the like.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Inexplicably my search problems has corrected itself. Decided to reboot, and Windows applied some updates and suddenly it worked.

The thing is I power down my system every night and the problem has persisted for weeks between reboots.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Wasn't sure if this should go here or in the SSD thread, but I just ordered a new SSD that's due to arrive tomorrow and I wanted to ask if I'd be correct in thinking that I should disconnect my current HDD leaving only the SSD connected, do a fresh installation of Windows 10 on the SSD and then reconnect the HDD to transfer any files I want to keep to the SSD?

I know there's migration tool software but I'd prefer to have a completely clean installation of Windows 10 if at all possible, without losing any of my documents and the like.

Have you done the in-place upgrade dance yet? If you use Win 7, 8 or 8.1 currently and want to use the free upgrade, you currently need to do an in-place upgrade to get your machine marked as eligible for Windows 10.
If you have already done that, or you have a retail Win 10, go ahead with your suggestion, it sounds like the right thing.

If you'd prefer to not do an in-place upgrade at all you can otherwise try getting the ISO for a recent Insider Build version, can't remember the exact build number. But it will accept a Win 7, 8 or 8.1 retail key and get a Win 10 license from that. Just keep in mind that it's then a beta build you're running and there's some extra telemetry forced on.
That feature should appear in a proper update some time soon, though.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Mortanis posted:

The thing is I power down my system every night and the problem has persisted for weeks between reboots.
Shut down/power up cycles or actual reboots? Because since Windows 8 that's not the same thing anymore.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

nielsm posted:

Have you done the in-place upgrade dance yet? If you use Win 7, 8 or 8.1 currently and want to use the free upgrade, you currently need to do an in-place upgrade to get your machine marked as eligible for Windows 10.
If you have already done that, or you have a retail Win 10, go ahead with your suggestion, it sounds like the right thing.

If you'd prefer to not do an in-place upgrade at all you can otherwise try getting the ISO for a recent Insider Build version, can't remember the exact build number. But it will accept a Win 7, 8 or 8.1 retail key and get a Win 10 license from that. Just keep in mind that it's then a beta build you're running and there's some extra telemetry forced on.
That feature should appear in a proper update some time soon, though.

Yeah I've got Windows 10 already. Insider build actually, so I figured using the Media Creation Tool to install it to USB and then install from that onto the SSD when it arrives.

It shouldn't be deactivated either, right? That only happens when you switch your motherboard?

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Good point. Just power off and on. I'm still using Win7 at work which will still apply updates even on a power off. :ms: it seems.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Sir Unimaginative posted:

For the MCT output or the ISO you want just "Windows 10" - it works with both Home and Pro - and always ALWAYS go 64-bit. And by always I mean a computer old enough or simple enough that it can't run 64-bit Windows 10 probably shouldn't be running any Windows newer than 7 - or maybe not running Windows at all. Microsoft probably shouldn't have released 32-bit Windows 10, but gently caress the future because we gotta build market share!

I disagree. Win10 runs so much better on poo poo hardware than Win7 ever did. Its hardware requirements are what Vista's should have been on launch day.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

There was (is? Not sure if they've fixed it) a bug where if you had more than 512 items in the Start Menu, some didn't appear.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Lum posted:

I disagree. Win10 runs so much better on poo poo hardware than Win7 ever did. Its hardware requirements are what Vista's should have been on launch day.

If you do an upgrade from a system with a bogged down Windows 7, 10 acts even worse for whatever reason. On the other hand, fresh loaded systems seem a bit more snappy for sure.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

redeyes posted:

If you do an upgrade from a system with a bogged down Windows 7, 10 acts even worse for whatever reason. On the other hand, fresh loaded systems seem a bit more snappy for sure.

Well yeah, upgrade installs are always poo poo.

I was comparing fresh against fresh though.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Lum posted:

Well yeah, upgrade installs are always poo poo.

I was comparing fresh against fresh though.

Ah, well sure. 10 is pretty nimble! If only the start menu wasn't donkey balls.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

redeyes posted:

If you bought StartIsBack for Win8, you get a free update to the Win10 version :)

There's also the usual free ones, e.g. Classic Shell, and you can buy Stardock Start10 if you support sexual harassment in the workplace.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

redeyes posted:

When (if) they get the start menu to a consistently usable state and give Home edition users some actual control over the update process (haha never going to happen :( ) I'll switch from Windows 7 on my main system.

Got W10 on my ancient laptop though and it runs quite well. It helps that the laptop has an SSD, but it really does seem snappier than the W7 SSD install.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Lum posted:

You would install a 32-bit Windows to a physical computer, even once, while not under duress, in 2015?

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 25, 2015

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

redeyes posted:

http://www.classicshell.net/

Go there, install it, it is free, works great, feels pretty much just like Win7 with the same menu placements and everything.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone heard of 10 deleting registry files? A friend of mine is claiming that it did but didn't offer much else. He's already doing reset and claims that Explorer.exe no longer works.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

You would install a 32-bit Windows to a physical computer, even once, while not under duress, in 2015?

I was thinking of those 2GB RAM tablets that are becoming increasingly common. Possibly even HTPCs.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Lum posted:

I was thinking of those 2GB RAM tablets that are becoming increasingly common. Possibly even HTPCs.
Still no reason to install 32 bit vs 64 bit. Long as the CPU support it, use the 64 bit version.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

ilkhan posted:

Still no reason to install 32 bit vs 64 bit. Long as the CPU support it, use the 64 bit version.

The bootloader on my lovely tablet doesn't work with 64 bit for some reason.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

ThermoPhysical posted:

Anyone heard of 10 deleting registry files? A friend of mine is claiming that it did but didn't offer much else. He's already doing reset and claims that Explorer.exe no longer works.
Sounds like the sort of garbage a third party anti-virus program would helpfully shovel on your plate, to be honest.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Lum posted:

That's the fault of Microsoft OEM licensing terms. In a just world those things wouldn't exist and my opinion from last page stands.

I wouldn't be surprised if they underperform an AMD POS netbook I bought in a fit of bad decisions a few years ago whose battery is dead and whose fan prays for it.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

That's the fault of Microsoft OEM licensing terms. In a just world those things wouldn't exist and my opinion from last page stands.

I wouldn't be surprised if they underperform an AMD POS netbook I bought in a fit of bad decisions a few years ago whose battery is dead and whose fan prays for it.
They perform a shitload better. I have an old working E-350 netbook lying around here and there really is no comparison. As long as you're not bumping into the 2GB memory limit (too many browser tabs, basically), such systems can run smooth as hell. Whereas that netbook -best in class when it came out- is now effectively useless because all the waiting makes you want to bash in skulls.

And the origin of the 32 bit Windows installs on those also is in a thing where the sort of sleep mode where you still would get alerts for alarms and mails and poo poo (much like you would expect from a phone) wasn't implemented in x64 yet. Though that supposedly has been fixed since.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

Sounds like the sort of garbage a third party anti-virus program would helpfully shovel on your plate, to be honest.

That's what I was thinking too. I've never heard of Windows doing that before so...yeah.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
I keep having weird issues where my start menu won't show up, I can't close apps, nor switch to another app. If I close something with the task manager, I get a white screen that can be dragged around and resized but not closed. Anyone know what this is?

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Because my Windows tablet is 32-bit? :shrug:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Now that I've disabled the Realtek control panel from running, the Intel HD Graphics control panel is doing the same thing - unhiding itself when I wake up my laptop. Is there any reason to keep that thing running?

Also, any time I minimize Trillian, I get a notification that it's still running. I've told the Action Center not to show notifications from Trillian any more, but it doesn't seem to care. Any way to go "yes, really, silence this program"?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

I have a desktop with an ASUS 875P P4 motherboard from 2003 that takes a Pentium M with a socket adapter, which I have running at 2.4GHz with 4GB of DDR(3.45GB visible) and an AGP Radeon 4650. While I had to upgrade from an older Pentium M (without proper PAE support) to even get it to install and the only drivers for the 4650 from 8.1 onward are the ones provided by Windows Update, once installed Windows 10 32-bit works great on this machine. The graphics card was actually the only piece of hardware in the whole box that didn't have drivers automatically installed during the install.

Don't get me wrong, a newer desktop is much faster, but it's perfectly functional for web browsing and video streaming (as long as it can offload to the GPU, because even SD video will choke the Pentium M).

Edit: I should also add that for some curious reason, some low end tablet/netbook devices with 64-bit processors are locked to 32-bit by EFI and therefore have to use 32-bit Windows. I wrestled for a while with an X205T netbook before finding confirmation that the EFI locks out 64b code even if the Bay Trail Atom supports it. (Looks like this is commented on above - related to subpar 64b driver support on these cheap devices.)

Lum posted:

This is my experience too - not only does a fresh install of 10 only take around 8GB of space typically which is amazing for these cheap machines with 32GB eMMCs, but it also feels more responsive than 7.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 26, 2015

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I've set my region to Canada and my language to Canadian English, but "Cortana is not available" for that combination, even though help seems to indicate that it should be?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I've set my region to Canada and my language to Canadian English, but "Cortana is not available" for that combination, even though help seems to indicate that it should be?

Localization isn't working on your system. Look into localization updates / services.

If it was working, the warning would have read "Sorry, but Cortana is not availble."

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Decided to try out OneDrive
It crashes every time during setup, after the screen where you pick which folder you want.
Any ideas?

E: Also is there a commandline way to start an application on a specified virtual desktop?

Lum fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 27, 2015

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
th2_release Professional 10576 out on the fast ring.

Lowtechs fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 29, 2015

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/29/9639414/microsoft-windows-10-automatic-update-recommended

Looks like MS will get a bit more aggressive with 10 next year.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Lowtechs posted:

th2_release Professional 10576 out on the fast ring.

I installed it last night. Runs fine except for having to re-setup some things like Plex and Steam to run at startup.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Oh for fucks sake, Windows, stop completely wiping out my IIS sites every time you upgrade. This is the second time this poo poo has happened :argh:

Thankfully there are a few feedback entries I can upvote about this issue.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

This is some straight up bullshit. So if I understand correctly, unless I go out of my way to block updates it will download automatically without my permission a 3gb update and nag me exactly once to upgrade? Since this is now a recommended update does this mean we have longer than the first year to upgrade to windows 10 for free, provided one were to decline the update initially?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Bonobos posted:

This is some straight up bullshit. So if I understand correctly, unless I go out of my way to block updates it will download automatically without my permission a 3gb update and nag me exactly once to upgrade? Since this is now a recommended update does this mean we have longer than the first year to upgrade to windows 10 for free, provided one were to decline the update initially?
You still have the year, MS is just going to do everything besides click the install button automatically, including bringing up the box for you to hit "install".
Either they're happy with the numbers, or they're really pissed at the numbers, I find it hard to imagine it's in the middle if they're doing this.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

ilkhan posted:

You still have the year, MS is just going to do everything besides click the install button automatically, including bringing up the box for you to hit "install".
Either they're happy with the numbers, or they're really pissed at the numbers, I find it hard to imagine it's in the middle if they're doing this.

They already did this though, there's a button that (presumably) if I hit "upgrade now" actually does it.

VVV - I think mine almost did.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 1, 2015

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've had a number of people tell me their computer just did the upgrade by itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

redeyes posted:

I've had a number of people tell me their computer just did the upgrade by itself.

Clicks next without reading anything.