Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
The Igni armour reduction is really good with fast attacks and whirl, so just one slot to add a lot of power to it and give you some stamina regen for signs and whirl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Do monsters even have armor? I never really noticed an increase in damage after hitting monsters with upgraded Igni.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Meowbot posted:

Yrden is pretty much only used with non corporeal creatures.
This isn't true. Yrden slows down enemies in its circle, all enemies. When you level up different skills for this sign this slow-down becomes pretty long and almost freezes enemies. This is an ideal sign to complement a melee build and actually one of the most effective signs.

It also looks like you're not using the the alternative sign modes because you're describing none of them. Start doing that (you need a proper slotted skill though) by holding the cast button.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Just a heads up to people who played through the Open Sesame! expansion quest: after you're done with the heist you can go back to the cellar in the herbalist's hut where you'll find all the masks the other heist crew members were wearing. It's cool because they're all based on different kings in the game.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

WrightOfWay posted:

Do monsters even have armor? I never really noticed an increase in damage after hitting monsters with upgraded Igni.

Some of them do but I'm not sure the melt armor skill works on them.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Apparently not one of the developers of Witcher 3 has injested shrooms, or else they'd know that human blood + magic mushrooms doesn't turn people into bears :v:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Apparently not one of the developers of Witcher 3 has injested shrooms, or else they'd know that human blood + magic mushrooms doesn't turn people into bears :v:

But it is known to turn bears into people.

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
arachnomorphs are pure bullshit. is there anyway to break out their web before all 5000000000000000000000000000 of them swarm you at once?

and im guessing the hunk of jade i have to get for the runewright is in the cave with them, yes?

e: yes

my new dog fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 25, 2015

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Pellisworth posted:

Expansion talk: I'm really frustrated with the Wraith fight. It's straightforward, Yrden and whack her then attack the paintings to stop her healing.

What's pissing me off is I'm unable to target the paintings, I can kill them with a sword hit, Igni, or a grapeshot but only the third one is predictable. It's a complete gamble whether Geralt decides to face the Wraith or aim at the painting, and grapeshot doesn't always work as she's up in my face.

She's not even hard, doesn't damage me much and I'm able to avoid her chain attacks. It's just really tedious and I'll get her almost dead but then be unable to stop her healing because I can't point Geralt at the painting and welp back to 100% health.

Am I missing something or is this basically a fight against the control/targeting system?

It took me the longest time to figure out I can attack the paintings, but once I figured it out, the wraith didn't get to heal once.

For me it worked like this: Just long-dodge to the painting, press attack button and Geralt will do whats needed.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What's the gwent card you get if you don't get the donkey ears? I'm torn.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

For anyone else that is having loading time problems on an SSD, turns out there's a known issue with Samsung SSD memory controllers that degrades performance over time. Check your drive to see if it's a Samsung.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Finally cracked and bought this on PS4. Came home from work to find it had finished downloading, and in the first hour I'm convinced this may be one of the best decisions I've made in a long time. Instant love for this game. Had been worried about the combat, which looked a bit perfunctory, but that dodge button making Geralt pirouette neatly away means I can inject some style into these fights. I'm in.

So far I've simulated a TW2 save, chose to play on Death March, and spent all my starting money on Gwent cards. If anyone wants to hit me with some "know this before you get involved" stuff I'm all ears. Read the OP, I'm pre-warned that I'll have to be super careful choosing my skills, and I know there's no meditation regen on Death March so to be more involved snacking down to get health back.

Man, the quality of the presentation, writing, and storytelling right from the off are amazing. Going to enjoy this.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

GreenBuckanneer posted:

You don't get a Gwent card from that game iirc.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Parkingtigers posted:

So far I've simulated a TW2 save, chose to play on Death March, and spent all my starting money on Gwent cards. If anyone wants to hit me with some "know this before you get involved" stuff I'm all ears.

My thoughts after completing NG+ on Death March.

- Potions, bombs and decoctions come back every time you meditate provided you have strong alcohol (e.g. alcohest, dwarven spirit) in your bag. You don't need to hunt a bajillion flowers. Nobody seems to realise this at first.

- Get Alt-Quen ('Active Quen') and upgrade it ASAP and hold down the button to use it. It heals you every time something hits it (it breaks after a certain amount of damage, though). This is basically invaluable on Death March. If this is too overpowered for your liking, there's a combat skill that prevents damage while dodging. You're pretty much definitely going to want one of these two skills unless you are insanely good at combat.

- Get the alchemy skill that raises your maximum toxicity for every potion you know. Some decoction/potion combos are stupidly powerful and a lot of fun to experiment with.

- Always Be Coating your swords with oils. There's no reason not to, especially the Hanged Man's Venom for your steel sword.

- Don't worry about doing every single ? on the map unless you want to get burned out. They're a lot more interesting than those in, say, Dragon Age: Inquisition, but most of the time the rewards aren't great and you'll probably get bored if you try to do all of them at once. Just hit one or two on your way to every quest marker and you'll find it a lot more fun.

- You get most of your XP from doing primary quests. Side quests don't give anywhere near as much, and you'll probably outlevel most of them fairly quickly to the point where you're only getting 1-5 XP for beating them. The side quests are almost all brilliant, though, but don't feel that you need to do them to grind your way up. They're there for story and fun rather than great loot.

- Buy the treasure maps from any NPCs selling them. They're quests for Witcher gear, which are the best sets in the game. Go for Cat if you like fast attacks, dodging and a few signs, Griffin if you're signs-heavy and want to make igni so overpowered it'll make everything except spectres, elementals and bosses completely trivial, Bear if you are all about hitting things as hard as possible with your swords (good for bosses). Wolf doesn't become available until much later in the game, and it's a cool all-rounder set.

- Alt-Yrden is stupidly good against fighting flying enemies, which are by far the most annoying enemies in the game, and ghosts.

- You don't regen stamina when you roll, only when you dodge, so keep that in mind if you're using a lot of signs.

- When in a boat, you can double-tap the sprint button to go faster, just like when you're on a horse. The game never tells you this.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

They did the non-evil thing and you can lose with no consequences. There is however a card lying around on the wedding premises that you will miss if you don't pick it up (it's a joke card though).

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Quote-Unquote posted:

My thoughts after completing NG+ on Death March.

This is some good poo poo, thanks dude! Read it, saved it, will follow it. Appreciate the detailed and lengthy response.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Parkingtigers posted:

Finally cracked and bought this on PS4. Came home from work to find it had finished downloading, and in the first hour I'm convinced this may be one of the best decisions I've made in a long time. Instant love for this game. Had been worried about the combat, which looked a bit perfunctory, but that dodge button making Geralt pirouette neatly away means I can inject some style into these fights. I'm in.

So far I've simulated a TW2 save, chose to play on Death March, and spent all my starting money on Gwent cards. If anyone wants to hit me with some "know this before you get involved" stuff I'm all ears. Read the OP, I'm pre-warned that I'll have to be super careful choosing my skills, and I know there's no meditation regen on Death March so to be more involved snacking down to get health back.

Man, the quality of the presentation, writing, and storytelling right from the off are amazing. Going to enjoy this.

If it's tickling you just right in the tutorial area, man you are in for a treat because the storytelling gets far far more awesome as you continue.

I would say you don't really need to be that careful about choosing skills, don't stress about it. Min/maxing won't get you that far in this game, winning tough fights is 90% using the right tools and tactics (and being high enough level). You can buy respecs for 1000g, which is not very much by the time you reach Novigrad and can buy respec potions. The big thing is to remember to slot abilities, if you don't equip them in a slot they're not doing anything. You'll notice you're stuck with 12 slots you gradually unlock, early on you won't have many ability points but by the end of the game you'll have more points than slots to use them.

For healing in Death March, food helps but is expensive. I strongly recommend the Sun and Stars 1-point generic ability. It gives you continuous HP regeneration during daylight and stamina at night, basically heals you while you're riding around between fights. Very helpful early in the game. Like Quote-Unqoute recommended the alt-Quen shield is another good healing option. Eventually you'll get a decoction (Ekhidna) that heals you whenever you use stamina and I basically never stopped using that once I got it, it's great.

Just to reiterate, you really don't need to pick every flower and loot every container. Herbs are inexpensive and you recharge alchemy items by resting + booze, it's usually the non-herb alchemy ingredients which are expensive or rare.

Loot in containers is almost all randomized and scaled to your level. You can run around looting peasant huts if you want, but you're not going to miss out on any unique or cool items if you don't 100% loot everything. If you need cash, check for valuable stuff. If you have enough money, I don't bother looting things that aren't chests most of the time. At higher levels since loot scales you'll start finding really valuable crafting materials. Dimeritium and Glowing Ore/Ingots are used in the highest-level crafting and are by far the most expensive and rare materials so definitely keep those if you find them. Otherwise no real point in hoarding or farming materials.

?s on the map come in a few flavors
Guarded Treasure - tough monster guards a treasure chest
Hidden Treasure - you find a note or similar which leads you to a nearby treasure. Little bit of flavor and background story.
Smuggler's Cache - some treasure on/under the water.

You can skip those if you want, they're all just a randomized loot chest. Don't feel compelled to 100% everything.

Edit: oh, and another thing that hasn't really been mentioned-- most of the gear you get as quest rewards and even Relic quality stuff from chests is inferior to your Witcher gear sets. Make sure to buy the treasure hunt maps like was suggested because that will be your best gear and there are several upgradeable tiers for each set. It's a little weird when a dude gives you his magical heirloom family sword and you immediately turn and sell it because it's kinda crap, but that's just how the game goes. Don't expect quests to give you gear upgrades or even big chunks of XP, do them primarily for the storytelling.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 25, 2015

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Pellisworth posted:

?s on the map come in a few flavors
Guarded Treasure - tough monster guards a treasure chest
Hidden Treasure - you find a note or similar which leads you to a nearby treasure. Little bit of flavor and background story.
Smuggler's Cache - some treasure on/under the water.

You can skip those if you want, they're all just a randomized loot chest. Don't feel compelled to 100% everything.

The only exception to this is Places of Power, which will buff one of your signs for half an hour and give you an extra ability point. I think there are six of them in White Orchard, and you really should hit all of them before doing much else (especially on Death March).

In fact, I'll go against my previous statement and say you should just go ahead and hit every ? in White Orchard. On my second playthrough I hit all of the ?s in about an hour, and it's worth it to get the two Viper swords, six extra ability points (and possibly one or two more, this should level you up a couple of times) and a reasonable amount of cash to get you started (and you'll get the trophy for having all Place of Power bonuses active at once). Once you hit Velen, though, yeah... don't go for every single ? on the map.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Quote-Unquote posted:

The only exception to this is Places of Power, which will buff one of your signs for half an hour and give you an extra ability point. I think there are six of them in White Orchard, and you really should hit all of them before doing much else (especially on Death March).

In fact, I'll go against my previous statement and say you should just go ahead and hit every ? in White Orchard. On my second playthrough I hit all of the ?s in about an hour, and it's worth it to get the two Viper swords, six extra ability points (and possibly one or two more, this should level you up a couple of times) and a reasonable amount of cash to get you started (and you'll get the trophy for having all Place of Power bonuses active at once). Once you hit Velen, though, yeah... don't go for every single ? on the map.

I think it's still worth it to explore ?s you're nearby when questing, just don't feel compelled to complete and gray out every location. You can always come back later, in some cases you'll need to as there are a few treasures guarded by monsters much higher level than their surroundings.

Finding Places of Power is always really good, you'll find fast travel signposts for easier access later, etc.

The big exception here would be all the ?s in the waters off the Skellige isles, I think those are all or mostly Smuggler's Caches and very skippable.

Edit: basically the game isn't going to punish you for not 100% exploring and looting everything. If it's not fun or interesting skip it or come back later. There are only a very few things you can lock yourself out of and all I can think of involve special locations you won't be able to return to later. It's pretty obvious when you're in one of those.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 25, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The game will inform you in those rare circumstances.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

How?

How are you wearing glasses AND ears at the same time? When I try to do this one gets automatically unequipped, this is of extreme importance.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Palpek posted:

How?

How are you wearing glasses AND ears at the same time? When I try to do this one gets automatically unequipped, this is of extreme importance.

minor expansion wedding spoilers:

I went into the wedding wearing glasses, and that screenshot is immediately after you "win" the donkey ears, the cutscene continues on through to the dance. It could be I'm wearing both because I had the glasses on and the ears were then automatically equipped, I'll have to double check in-game next time I play to see if I can equip/un-equip them both at the same time.

Also, that captioned dialogue is Shani asking Geralt Vlodimir about many ladies he's had :v:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Ah ok, that must be a cool bug then.

Also a question about the expansion: when the lady at the auction asked about Vesemir in my game I was already after Kaer Morhen so I could only tell her he is dead. What happens when he isn't? Is there some sort of follow-up? Like setting a meeting for them? That would be cool.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Apparently not one of the developers of Witcher 3 has injested shrooms,

very very false

Beeez
May 28, 2012

So does that mean most have?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Beeez posted:

So does that mean most have?

I'm not incriminating anyone when I say that psilocybin grows wild in every part of poland, quite prolifically.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Ok, Radovid's mask is my new favorite. Gerlat looks so bad in it.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Palpek posted:

Ok, Radovid's mask is my new favorite. Gerlat looks so bad in it.

Now go play Reason of State like that.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

If you tell me that Radovid reacts to that mask somehow then holy poo poo I might as well do it, one extra line from him is enough. If that isn't the case then you should totally do that next time you have access to the voice actors and with Emhyr's mask too.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Palpek posted:

Ah ok, that must be a cool bug then.

Also a question about the expansion: when the lady at the auction asked about Vesemir in my game I was already after Kaer Morhen so I could only tell her he is dead. What happens when he isn't? Is there some sort of follow-up? Like setting a meeting for them? That would be cool.

Here's all you get:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHbH9MBbmFM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUMBEGz4afg

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Palpek posted:

If you tell me that Radovid reacts to that mask somehow then holy poo poo I might as well do it, one extra line from him is enough. If that isn't the case then you should totally do that next time you have access to the voice actors and with Emhyr's mask too.

I have no idea if we did that, but we should have if we didn't.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I just saw "you might know it as Psylocibe..." and I'm like "REALLY??"

I mean realistically speaking you might think that you are a bear, but ya know...

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
Is there an easy way to track collect em all? I thought the patch said something about a way to do it

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I mean realistically speaking you might think that you are a bear, but ya know...

For sure, but also, like, magic. And bears.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Captain Duvel posted:

Is there an easy way to track collect em all? I thought the patch said something about a way to do it

Pretty sure that was a filthy lie. Here's hoping for 1.12.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Coming back to this after taking a break shortly after release. A new video card and patches that addressed most every issue I had certainly makes things more enjoyable. I have to say, one thing that really stands out to me is the quality of the content. Not only are there a shitload of quests to do, but the average quality is very high. The game never feels like it is wasting my time with bullshit fetch quests, and it is always forcing me to make tough decisions. I feel like this is easily my GOTY.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Wow, latest patch on ps4 seems to have hugely improved loading times for me.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Filthy Monkey posted:

Coming back to this after taking a break shortly after release. A new video card and patches that addressed most every issue I had certainly makes things more enjoyable. I have to say, one thing that really stands out to me is the quality of the content. Not only are there a shitload of quests to do, but the average quality is very high. The game never feels like it is wasting my time with bullshit fetch quests, and it is always forcing me to make tough decisions. I feel like this is easily my GOTY.

It's amazingly good. So good it inspires me to write more long-winded posts about how good it is. It's so solid all the moving parts come together in order to create something greater than just the sum of its parts.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

When I get to the 2nd big zone, skellig isles, can i fast travel back to velen whenever I want?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Have you ever ingested shrooms mixed with human blood and entered a berserker rage? If so then you don't know that it won't turn you into a bear.